July 29, 2014 | 1973 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Garden Tomato Complexion Soap ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2005 12:51:00 AM More reviews by kikidurane

Ok, so I am reviewing this based on smell alone. I actually use this as a body soap (when I feel the winter doldrums set in and I NEED the smell of summer) The smell, I find, is pure joy. It is like walking through my own English garden on a misty summer day, I know lame anaology and I don't have a garden. I live in NYC so I have to have an escape somehow. I love the smell of this as well as the the smell of the toner, but use the toner as a body splash. I am crazy I know! The soap feels nice on my body, did not try face. So if you are in the market to escape to nature but can't... buy this! But it is expensive at 7 dollars. I'm obsessed. Also I have terrible spelling I'm sorry.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2005 12:42:00 AM More reviews by innamorata

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh. My. Gawd. I think I've found my HG facial soap...

I was at the end of my facial cleanser rope. Nothing I'd tried was working. My face is very oily, very prone to breakouts, very prone to cystic acne. I guess you'd call it "troubled" (just like Burt says). In complete desperation, I bought this strange-smelling, ugly red, expensive (at almost seven bucks) bar of soap at Rural King of all places (you know, where they sell farm implements, cowboy hats, and, I kid you not, lye soap as well) from a company who's founder looks like he wandered in straight from Woodstock.

And wow...all I can say is, wow. This brings out all the impurities and junk and dirt and goobers that are lurking under the skin, so for the first week or so I used it, my skin actually got worse. But, once all the junk got out, my skin began to clear up like it never has before. The larger zits began to shrink, the smaller zits never grew to larger ones, my blackheads are disappearing, and my entire face looks radiant. I had a cystic acne breakout forming on the side of my jaw by my ear, where it has cropped up before...after washing with this, the cyst came to the surface of the skin, was dealt with, and the infection in it gone within TWO DAYS. The residual swelling was slight, instead of ginormous, and totally gone within FIVE DAYS. Days, folks...instead of weeks...which is how long cysts usually take to clear up on my skin. It has even almost completely banished a cyst that has been by my left eye since early December that nothing else has been able to touch. That alone is worth the price.

I've noticed a few things as I use this...I can't leave it on my face very long, or my skin starts to sting a bit. I just lather it up with a scrubby washcloth, wash, then rinse, without any pause. The washcloth also helps keep any flaking to a mininum. I then use the Garden Tomato Toner, which helps remove most flakies the washcloth left. If there are still some flakies or dry spots, a little Carrot Day Creme clears that right up. A couple of things...your skin might get worse before it gets better (so don't freak out if you get a zit or a blackhead where there wasn't one before...you're not as clean as you thought you were) because this is drawing the impurities out of your skin. Also, this soap doesn't contain any ingredients like sodium myristate (check Burt's site), just nice natural good stuff. And finally...the smell goes away, folks. I don't even notice it any more, and nobody can smell it on you. Don't take offense, but if you tried it and it made your skin worse, it is probably drawing out the impurities that you can't see. You gotta stick with it.

UPDATE 6/19/07: I ran out of this about a month ago, and had to use some other facial cleansers, mostly the stuff my kids have here for acne. My face immediately had a hissy fit. Blackheads, whiteheads, cystic acne (at one point I had four cysts on my face). My face threw itself down on the floor and had a screaming tantrum. So, I went to the local pharmacy and got my face what it wanted to shut it up. Immediately, I could tell a difference, and within a few days my cysts were gone. Yeah........this stuff is that good. Get some. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2005 7:53:00 PM More reviews by jennlhale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not a big fan of the soap cleansers, but I got this in a Burt's Bees sample pack and noticed it's for oily skin. I have oily skin with lots of breakouts. I love this soap! It doesn't make my face dry, and if I combine it with the carrot day creme and mask, it really clears up my skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2005 5:48:00 PM More reviews by grrrpirategirl

Great stuff for daily use. It's got an astringent quality that I really appreciate for tightening pores and it seems to enable exfoliation as well.

A definite NO for dry skin sufferers!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2004 10:51:00 AM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely adore this soap! I have very turbulent combo skin, with unfortuneately large pores (curses on my genetics!) and this lovely, gently soap cleans my face beautifully with no residue, leaving it soft and oil free. Having used it for about a week now, my skin is completely clear (!) and soft and oil free. What a wonderful product!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2004 8:38:00 AM More reviews by AwsomeVal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this soap for about 2 weeks now and thus far I'm loving it. I have very oily skin with huge pores and it has really helped keep my skin clear as well as shrink the size of my pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2004 8:39:00 PM More reviews by milkandkisses

I hesitated to use a soap bar on my face, but am very glad I tried this one. After washing with it at night I saw the glowy and clean results the next morning and have been using it ever since.

I have sensitive, spot-prone, combination skin, and I use this soap with Burt's Bees Rose Toner. I used to cleanse with Spectro-gel non-drying acne-wash, but my new routine leaves me with cleaner skin afterwards and the toner is non-irritating.

The clean, fresh smell is intoxicating.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2004 3:59:00 AM More reviews by PerfumeEnjoyer

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my favorite of the Burt's Bees soaps. I love the fragrance, and it cleans very well, leaving my skin squeaky clean but not dry. A great bar soap, and bar soap is the only way I like to cleanse my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2004 8:50:00 PM More reviews by swtgrl87

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Complexion Soap along with the Garden Tomato Toner has really cleared my skin since I began using it a few months ago. My acne-proned areas are under control, I have no more dry patches, and my complexion has definitely improved! It lathers up well and is a great gentle and effective cleanser, especially with the toner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2004 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I adore this soap. My skin is oily with a tendency to get dry patches and small monthly breakouts. I've been using this soap all summer long and my face just loves it. I'm not sure if it's part of the reason my breakouts are almost nil or if it just doesn't encourage them - whatever the reason, I'm thrilled and hooked on this bar. I use it in the morning. The scent smells exactly like a tomato plant (just like Lafco's Tomato kitchen bar soap). Very mild and softly earthy. Heaven.