Chanel No.5

3.5

on 9/26/2012 9:35:00 PM

Classic. Beautiful.
I have had a bottle of this on my dresser since I was 16 years old. I will never be without it.
Old lady fragrance my foot. This is a beautifully put together fragrance.

on 9/14/2012 7:41:00 PM

Not my favorite perfume, but I see why it's a classic. It makes me feel beautiful and feminine while wearing it. Price is crazy as with all Chanel stuff, but that is typical. If I had the money to spend a lot on perfume I'd buy it more often.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Got this product as a gift, it smells good, but does not last long or different what so ever. Did not like the packing, never gets over. Will try something else once this is over.

I hate this perfume. It doesn't smell glamourous or anything of the sort! It smells like very cheap soap!
Not nice.
Ladies don't waste your money. If you really want to smell like cheap soap, buy charlie blue, it smells exactly the same but is $50 cheaper

on 8/14/2012 3:25:00 PM

I remembered smelling this when I was 18 or so and I thought it was awful. Well, now I am 40 and this scent still doesn't thrill me. What is the reason? It does have some of my favorite notes but combined together is not so great. First, it smells rich and spicy-ok, I can handle it. If it stayed this way for the duration, I could understand the worldwide appeal. However, once the aldehydes come out its all over and this smells like dusty library books(I tested it on a paper strip).
Perfume is very subjective and everyone likes different scents and notes however, this perfume has been overhyped from here till Sunday. One of the reasons why its been popular its the brand name Chanel behind it and the second, because Marilyn Monroe wore this. And of course, everytime you open any magazine you will hear about how its classic, iconic or a symbol of class. When this was first made, it was rather revolutionary because this scent used aldehydes but now, aldehydes is not new or different.
If you like it, more power to you. I just don't think this is the greatest scent that was ever made

on 8/13/2012 11:33:00 AM

I got this because it's Chanel 5. The name says it all. I love it at first but then after awhile I started to dislike the smell. I feel like it's too strong and makes me older.

I wouldn't go for this again in the near future.

on 7/31/2012 11:22:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Ok, youngsters, let's get our facts straight before panning this exquisite classic. Chanel No. 5 debuted in the 1920's. The nose behind the perfume was Ernest Beaux. Google it.

Though I no longer wear it, I remember dating an incredibly handsome actor years ago who went absolutely crazy every time I wore it. And no, it didn't remind him of his mother. Eau Premiere is a great choice for younger women who want a lighter, fizzier version of the original. It has a bit of vanilla and citrus to lighten things up. Fragrance tastes have changed drastically over the past century, but love ot or hate it, Chanel 5 will still be here after we're ALL long gone.

on 7/28/2012 4:46:00 PM

Love this one in all its varieties -- EdT, EdP, parfum, and cologne (especially vintage). It has a timeless, ageless feel to it, always stunning, no matter if you're going to a formal event, to work, or just hanging out. There is a reason it is an icon and is as popular know as it was when first introduced.

on 7/27/2012 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Other people have described Chanel No 5 flawless so I'll take a slightly different approach. Reading over the reviews I notice one thing: it seems younger reviewers (whether your current age or in the past when you first smelled it) do not care for this. It takes a refined nose - and smelling and wearing a lot of inferior scents - to appreciate #5. It is the fortunate lady who has liked this from youth!

A little bit of my perfume history... I have always been a white floral fragrance girl. Especially jasmine. I've worn Fracas, Michael Kors, Joy, Kai, Child and KM's pikaki lei in turn and loved them all. I've strayed a bit too into other territories like Angel, EA's Green Tea or Egyptian Musk but I always come back to jasmine. I liked Joy (similar in composition to Chanel No 5 being based around roses and jasmine) but something about the base notes in it don't quite sit right with my chemistry. Enter No 5. I love everything about it! Starting with the story behind its creation.

(taken from the Chanel No 5 Wikipedia page) Talking about the creator of the fragrance, Ernest Beaux...

"The polar ice, frigid seascape, and whiteness of the snowy terrain sparked his desire to capture the crisp fragrance of this landscape into a new perfume compound. Beaux perfected what was to become Chanel No. 5 over several months in the late summer and autumn of 1920. He worked from the rose and jasmine base of Rallet No. 1. altering it to make it cleaner, more daring, reminiscent of the pristine polar freshness he had inhabited during his war years. He experimented with modern synthetics, adding his own invention "Rose E. B" and notes derived from a new jasmine source, a commercial ingredient called Jasophore. The revamped, complex formula also ramped up the quantities of orris-iris-root and natural musks.

The revolutionary key was Beaux’s use of aldehydes. Aldehydes are organic compounds of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. They are manipulated in the laboratory at crucial stages of chemical reaction whereby the process arrests and isolates the scent. When used creatively, aldehydes act as "seasonings," an aroma booster. Beaux’s student, Constantin Weriguine, said the aldehyde Beaux used had the clean note of the arctic, "a melting winter note." Legend has it that this wondrous concoction was the inadvertent result of a laboratory mishap. A laboratory assistant, mistaking a full strength mixture for a ten percent dilution, had jolted the compound with a dose of aldehyde in quantity never before used. Beaux prepared ten glass vials for Chanel’s inspection. Numbered 1–5 then 20–24, the gap presented the core May rose, jasmine and aldehydes in two complementary series, each group a variation of the compound. "Number five. Yes," Chanel said later, "that is what I was waiting for. A perfume like nothing else. A woman’s perfume, with the scent of a woman." "

I couldn't agree more! It's crisp and refreshing yet floral and sensual too. Now let me talk about the differences (at least to my nose and chemistry) between the different formulations.

Parfum: the classic, magical original. Get this if you can afford it. Save your pennies if you can't. The smallest bottle currently starts at a $120 and a few drops is all you need.

EDP: this is the budget version of the parfum as, on my skin, it smells closest to the original. (Some people say the EDT is closer but that's personal chemistry).

EDT: a more "shimmering" version of the original. It seems like it has more aldehydes or something in it. It smells almost like champagne to me - in the best sense. Fades very quickly on me. Try this to see if it works for you.

Eau Premiere: this really is a completely different perfume. It smells like it has fruit and white musk added to the original and maybe some aldehydes taken out. I could see how this could appeal to younger people. But, ironically enough, given their protests to the powder smell (orris root), it dries down on me to a pretty solid powdery finish.

I haven't tried the sensual elixir but it seems pretty popular so you might try that formulation.

Bottom line, this fragrance is a masterpiece that at the very least deserves respect even if you decide you don't love it. Keep sniffing it, try the different formulations, and keep in mind the climate you live in as well as your skin chemistry. (One frangrance will smell one way in me but completely different when I travel to another climate so beware of that). This is as much of an old lady fragrance as a Chanel purse. It's a classic for everybody!
EDIT: I do love this perfume, and I *might* repurchase but I think Child is still my HG!

on 7/18/2012 9:29:00 AM

What can i say? it´s the most classy fragnance ever. I love it...I´ve heard that when Chanel No.5 fist came up, it divided people into two groups -the ones who hated it and the ones who loved it. Nothing between didn´t exist. And it´s like that until these days. I never met someone who said: "Chanel No.5? I don´t know...I guess...it´s not that bad...or good". You just have to try for yourself if you like it or not... continued >>