September 1, 2014 | 1095 users online

Powder - Laura Geller - Balance-n-Brighten Baked Color Correcting Foundation (All Shades)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2010 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Smungmung

I was very disappointed with this product. I expected color correction, specially with the redness on my cheeks due to sensitivity. The brush that came along with it does not pick up the product and I ended up throwing the powderized bits the brush took away from the compact down the sink. I had the fair kind and it was like I was tanned, and I am light-medium with BE and NC25 with MAC. The packaging is nice and seems sturdy and I like the idea of a retractable brush, but it was completely useless. I also thought it would "feel like silk" as some reviews said but it felt heavy and dry.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2010 3:57:00 PM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The color on me is near perfect (the regular) however the product itself isn't worth the money. Maybe it's mine but I cannot seem to get any product on any type of brush to make it work as a light powder foundation - even a sheer one. It looks nice as a pressed powder and I will use it for that, however I was expecting a bit more coverage. I won't repurchase this one. It also came with a retractable brush which is way to fine to pick up anything at all - I use it for heavily pigmented blushes instead.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2010 12:30:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

I got this in a kit from QVC in the regular shade, and I'm sorry, it's WAY too light for my NC-35. I'm not sure if this comes in a darker shade, but it should. Aside from the color not working on me, it's not a bad powder f/d if you don't mind minimal coverage. I have the bronze-n-brighten in a split pan and that works a little better since I can mix and get a darker outcome. I actually now use this over f/ds I have that may be too dark and need some paling, and it works well in combination with that! Glad I can use it for something!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by fechenwiesen

I bought this on QVC. I have been wearing it for about 6 weeks now, and am very happy. I am fairly light in BE and find that I don´t get powder settling into lines as BE does on me. I do find that this really just gives my skin a perfect look, it seems to cover small imperfections and seems to brighten my skin. I also find that my skin ( acne prone) is very happy with this foundation, no breakouts at all. I do need to touch up ( for shine) mid afternoon, but I have somewhat oily skin. I will be buying this again. The product came with a brush, which for me is useless. I use a mac powder brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2009 11:45:00 PM More reviews by sbilbao

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
Covers great, evens out my skin tone. I dont even need to touch up through out the day. Does not make me look oily. YEAH!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2009 1:54:00 AM More reviews by VMARTIN57

I've said that I would not buy this product again only because I've read so many reviews about the colours. I've recently tried BnB because the Clinique Almost Powder has now started to dry up on my skin. I'm pretty sure that BnB has similar ingredients but so far it has not had this effect on me. It goes on smoothly and makes my skin feel smooth but doesn't last all day as the Clinique one does. I've been fortunate in getting a pan that the colour is a good match for my skin but am not happy that I could buy another pan and for it to be totally different (as other reviewers have said). The jury's out on this one. Perhaps I will try Smashbox Halo next. x

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2009 8:39:00 AM More reviews by JCR1982

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to use this for touch up during the day but recently started using it instead of BE minerals as it is less faff!

It does require a touch up on me by mid day ish - it goes on first at 6am.

Its easy to use and if you get a compact with the right colour and even swirls then its really good. Wish you could choose which one you want though!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2009 4:57:00 PM More reviews by redheadedbitch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I often end up with my mom's hand-me-down makeup. She is very, very fair- and orders makeup from QVC a lot. Bad combination! But good for me :-)

I use this to set my foundation- I'm sure I could use it on its own, because it is fairly dense. I just use a little bit on a kabuki brush and it does give a semi-matte glow to my face. It stays on for most of the day and doesn't let oil take over my face.

Others have said that it oxidizes- I do find that this happens, but not too much. I am very fair like my mom- a cool, pale. I can't wear anything that looks too orangey, but I feel like this gives a bit of color.

As much as I like it, I probably would not repurchase because it is pretty pricey.

EDIT: I've been trying it on its own as a foundation, as opposed to a setting powder and I have to say it is way too orange for my fair, wintery complexion.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2009 3:37:00 PM More reviews by slc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was hoping this would be a good alternative to Bare Minerals when traveling, and I liked just brushing one powder onto my face instead of 2 or 3, and I liked that it came in a solid so it wasn't as messy as Bare Minerals. I used the light color which seemed about right on my skin. (I think those who say it looks too dark have Balance and Bronze, not Balance and Brighten)

Unfortunately it's kind of chalky, and I looked old and tired every time I used it ... so back to Bare Minerals.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2009 7:07:00 PM More reviews by PoptheBottle

Price: As a HS sophomore, I usually don't spend more than $15 on any one product, but my mom gave this to me yesterday. The price is rather high- $30 or so for 9 grams. Obviously, it depends on personal preference whether the money spent is justifiable. However, after trying this out, I'm definitely going to repurchase when I run out. :)

Product: Finely milled, with intricate veining. I'm not a fan of piling on makeup, so I used just a bit this morning around 7 am. The coverage is fantastic, and the finish is amazing: soft, a bit matte, and a bit airbrushed. It also looked totally natural. I came back from school around 3:30, and my foundation was still there! Obviously, some of it faded, but that in itself is an accomplishment because I have an oily face (no, it's not an oil mine, but it's definitely not squeaky clean either), and most foundations I've tried usually disappear by the time I come home from school. But here's the coolest part- it stayed on after I went SWIMMING in PE. While I admit that I didn't exactly dunk my face into the pool, it still got a bit moist, and I even took a quick hot shower after. Amazing. :)

Packaging: A matte black compact with the Laura Geller logo on it. There's a half-circle of clear plastic to view into the product. When you flip it open, there's a mirror on the other half of the top. While I would prefer a whole mirror, it really is no big. Something that I've found annoying however, is that because the powder is so fine, when I swirl some onto my brush, bits of it float onto the rest of the packaging. If you open the compact too harshly, bits of the powder will get onto your hands and clothes. :( However, it you open it with a bit of caution, there should be no problem.

Color: The color can be described as a tanned beige. No, this product does not work for everyone, and it doesn't "adjust" to most skin tones. I got lucky because as an Asian, it's really close to my skin tone. Obviously, this product will not work for everyone as it has for me. There is a light version available, but I've heard it's still dark for most. :( Also, if you pile it on (I haven't tried yet and don't plan to, but my friend who had the same one did), it will look overdone and give you a fake baked tan look.

Overall, it's my new HG foundation. The only things to watch out for is the coloring and price, and obviously, those depend on you. :)

Hope this review helped. <3

I'm going swimming in PE again in a few days, will update if results change.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No