August 1, 2014 | 1309 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 6/29/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by anniejade

I don't understand what the rave is all about! I have horrible dark circles and thought any extra boost that'll brighten that area sounded great. It turns out that this thing has no stay power whatsoever! I apply it in a patting motion with a fluffy eyeshadow brush and halfway through the day, not only did it settle in lines a little but it made my eyeliner smudge all over the place! And I only wear eyeliner on my top lid so I don't even know how that happened. I've tried this product again and again using different concealers also thinking that was the problem but again, instead of helping, it just emphasized my dark circles even more. I'm sticking with using Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust because that is great for undereye setting (so much cheaper too!). I've done the exact same process as I have with LM's powder and get no settling nor smudging of eyeliner. What a WASTE of money this product was!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2009 5:04:00 PM More reviews by EternalRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i don't know what i was thinking when i bought this product...i mean...a POWDER....for UNDER MY EYES - the most dry, crepey, and line filled area i have on my face, and it's not even that bad. but it is the one area that i try to AVOID getting powder on, so why on earth did i spend $40+ on this powder and the brush?!?!?

i was so excited to try it after reading the reviews, but it really did nothing for my eye area except make it look matte, dry, and tired. at first i put too much on, so i tried again with just a light dusting, and it still looked awful. i'm sorry to bring down the rating but it just didn't work for me, and wasn't worth the money for something that just made me look older. my recommendation? try it out before you run in and buy it like i did.

on a plus side, i did keep the brush that they market with the powder...it's really soft and works very well for concealer, foundation, powder touch-ups, etc. at least i got something good out of my purchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2009 10:20:00 PM More reviews by ggordil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in shade #2. It is not so white but a little ivory. I not only use this to set my foundation under my eyes, but I also use it all over my eyelid and inner corner. I found that this really helps keep my eyeshadow in place.

The only thing that gets on my nerves is the packaging. The sifter holes are too big. There is powder everywhere. The other thing that drives me nuts is the lid. It has a slight curve to it. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I have very little space, and I like to stack stuff. Well you can't stack anything on top of this.

Overall I like this bur I am not sure if I would repurchase because there is a lot of product and it will take me forever to run out..

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2009 4:07:00 AM More reviews by TanPeekLing

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I went back to this little jar of powder even though I very much preferred the coverage of Benefit's Powderflage.

This powder can conceal pretty well, but it doesn't really hide very bad circles (especially when I don't have enough and good sleep). The plus point is that this is much more hydrating than Powderflage, so this one is still an overall winner for me!

I am NC30-35, is currently using No. 2. I will try No. 1 next to see if it conceals better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 3:01:00 PM More reviews by amygirl3540

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This secret brightening powder is great! I just use a small amount of the powder over top of my concealer, just beneathe my eyes. I use a fluffy eyeshadow brush and sweep it on and it's like magic. It's silky smooth and soft and white white (I'm pretty pale) and has just a bit of reflecting specks that work so well. I would repurchase, however a little bit goes a loooooong way, so I don't know if I'll ever need to repurchase. Oh, and FYI: you may not want to peel the entire sticker off to expose the hole to sift out the powder...you may want to just poke a few holes and then you won't have a problem with too much powder pouring out!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2009 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Redmosaic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like it, it really does help the concealer stay put all day, even at the gym! I use moisturizer 1st, then I pat on MAC concealer, then with a brush I pat over the concealer to above cheekbones with the powder, buffing it off. Then I use my Bare Minerals makeup, but not under the eyes. At 1st I was alarmed at the concealer powder seeming to dry out my under-eyes, but realized I have to use moisturizer 1st...then I mist over my face with either burts bees carrot oil spray or bare escentuals mist...no more melting away concealer! It adds the tiniest bit of highlight but not much, really. Very subtle and natural.

Update: Not loving this as much, even when I use the smallest amount of powder and buff it and mist it, I find it too dry looking under my eyes. Sorry too, because it is a great color over concealer. I suspect it is the talc, which is not particularly a great ingredient anyway...so I will continue searching for the perfect undereye concealer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2009 10:33:00 PM More reviews by syeung2

The LM website lists this as available in two shades, #1 (for fair to medium skin tones) and #2 (for medium to tan and darker skin tones). I received this via swap, and the labeling doesn't indicate a shade name or number... Since the color of this loose powder looks more white than linen, I am going to assume mine would be Shade #1.

Product - It goes on rather translucent, providing the faintest amount of brightening/glow. I don't reach for this often, since the effect is so subtle (or my eyes are simply not observant enough). The effects are probably more noticeable in photos. But, since paparazzi don't follow me, I don't have need to look my best in photos on a daily basis :)

Packaging - Sifter pot with translucent plastic body, and typical LM shimmery brown screw-top with rounded top surface. Same style packaging as LM's Loose Shimmer Powder but not quite as wide; wider and taller than LM Lip Stains.

Overall - For me, this is relegated to the "For Special Occasions" pile. Nice to have, probably will keep, and certainly will never use up. Would not repurchase, since it's not a critical item for me to have around. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2009 4:35:00 AM More reviews by themadhattress

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I first bought this I was disappointed because it didn't work any better than my NARS loose powder. However, I noticed that when taking pictures, it makes my dark circles completely disappear. So I guess this is great if you take lots of pics and want to brighten up your eye area in photographs. Forget about real life, any good loose powder will do the same job.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by eky1

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is hands down the best powder to set concealer with under the eyes.
Its so fine but it makes such a difference. It brightens and for me reduces the darkness and best of all you can't see its there! I got the brush that they use it with and it's perfect. It's expensive but you get so much product and you only need a tiny bit, one dip of the brush is enough for both eyes. I use this every day and I know it will last for ages.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2009 2:18:00 PM More reviews by gseymour

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Only one use, and I can tell this product is going to be a staple for me. It works much better for setting my concealer, as it's much less noticeable on me than the Loose Setting Powder. My only criticism is given how little of this product one needs, I would rather see it packaged in the same size as the bottom of the Undercover Pot, so I can swap out the jars.