October 24, 2014 | 913 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

years and years of using this product attest to how much I love it. Way before HD powders and mineral powders, there was the SBP. The little round box could improve with the newer separators like the LM Mineral powder line has.

This powder is an absolute must for anyone who wants a really finished look and needs to de-shine but not dull up their faces.

love this and have my stash in place:D

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by taliaseki

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

it is one of the best posible undereye powders. As any powder would do it emphesize fine lines but less than the other powders do. It is white but it disappears like fairy powder in a minute. I put it around my eyes and mounth with mac 190 and when i am done i have a hard to tell difference; no shimmering no nacre but a natural lighter and brighter color. It is one of a kind a must have makeup item. I have not seen any similar powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 2:37:00 AM More reviews by ChristmasMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A little of this powder is all it takes! This is a very white powder and it is fine with whichever concealer I use under my eyes. I could have written the review below me. I have hereditary dark circles. People always say that I look like I need more sleep if I do not apply concealer. I could sleep all day and drink tons of water, but the dark circles remain.

When I apply this powder, I use the Nars 13 large dome brush. It picks up just the right amount of powder on its fluffy bristles. If you put on too much, the powder is no longer "Secret."

This tub lasts forever because so little is used. Doubt if I'll need a replacement for more than a year, but I will restock when the day comes.

See my notepad for my current concealer favorites.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2009 9:07:00 PM More reviews by linc2

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Hall of fame status for setting one's undereye concealer! This is one of the very few products that I cannot do without. I have dark, hereditary undereye circles and must use concealer. Regardless of what concealer I currently favor, I ALWAYS set it with LM's secret brightening powder. Finely milled, does not settle into fine lines, if applied lightly does not look powdery. (I apply with BB's eye blender brush, but anything of that ilk will do.) For reference, I'm NC25 and use LM's secret in #2. Unique and makes a real difference.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2009 2:29:00 AM More reviews by mstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a dark-skinned African-American, and I use the Secret Brightening Powder #2 interchangeably with LM's Transulcent Setting Powder. They are absolutely amazing for setting makeup and giving a subtle luminous glow to my skin.

The powder is incredibly finely milled, and soft as a kitten, so it glides smoothly over my face and never looks cakey. I much prefer using a translucent powder (like Secret Brightening) instead of a colored one, because I feel that the color builds up quickly on dark skin and begins to look unnatural. The Laura Mercier powders do the job perfectly without making me look like I have a face full of makeup.

The price is great, and the jar is the perfect size. I think I've repurchased this 5 or 6 times, since I use it all over my face. Best powder I've ever used.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2009 12:41:00 PM More reviews by jungleberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

The sifter holes for this are too big so I only opened the sticker halfway exposing half the holes. I think the brush used to apply this powder is really important. At first I was using a blush brush and applied too much to too many areas and now using a smaller softer eyeshadow brush it applies evenly and really makes my concealer stay put. Too expensive though and sifter holes are too big!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/29/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by anniejade

I don't understand what the rave is all about! I have horrible dark circles and thought any extra boost that'll brighten that area sounded great. It turns out that this thing has no stay power whatsoever! I apply it in a patting motion with a fluffy eyeshadow brush and halfway through the day, not only did it settle in lines a little but it made my eyeliner smudge all over the place! And I only wear eyeliner on my top lid so I don't even know how that happened. I've tried this product again and again using different concealers also thinking that was the problem but again, instead of helping, it just emphasized my dark circles even more. I'm sticking with using Everyday Minerals Finishing Dust because that is great for undereye setting (so much cheaper too!). I've done the exact same process as I have with LM's powder and get no settling nor smudging of eyeliner. What a WASTE of money this product was!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2009 5:04:00 PM More reviews by EternalRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i don't know what i was thinking when i bought this product...i mean...a POWDER....for UNDER MY EYES - the most dry, crepey, and line filled area i have on my face, and it's not even that bad. but it is the one area that i try to AVOID getting powder on, so why on earth did i spend $40+ on this powder and the brush?!?!?

i was so excited to try it after reading the reviews, but it really did nothing for my eye area except make it look matte, dry, and tired. at first i put too much on, so i tried again with just a light dusting, and it still looked awful. i'm sorry to bring down the rating but it just didn't work for me, and wasn't worth the money for something that just made me look older. my recommendation? try it out before you run in and buy it like i did.

on a plus side, i did keep the brush that they market with the powder...it's really soft and works very well for concealer, foundation, powder touch-ups, etc. at least i got something good out of my purchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2009 10:20:00 PM More reviews by ggordil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in shade #2. It is not so white but a little ivory. I not only use this to set my foundation under my eyes, but I also use it all over my eyelid and inner corner. I found that this really helps keep my eyeshadow in place.

The only thing that gets on my nerves is the packaging. The sifter holes are too big. There is powder everywhere. The other thing that drives me nuts is the lid. It has a slight curve to it. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I have very little space, and I like to stack stuff. Well you can't stack anything on top of this.

Overall I like this bur I am not sure if I would repurchase because there is a lot of product and it will take me forever to run out..

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2009 4:07:00 AM More reviews by TanPeekLing

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I went back to this little jar of powder even though I very much preferred the coverage of Benefit's Powderflage.

This powder can conceal pretty well, but it doesn't really hide very bad circles (especially when I don't have enough and good sleep). The plus point is that this is much more hydrating than Powderflage, so this one is still an overall winner for me!

I am NC30-35, is currently using No. 2. I will try No. 1 next to see if it conceals better.