December 20, 2014 | 1685 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by bozorico

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first time buying a highlighting kit so I can't really compare to anything else. I used the one for dark brown hair in honey. Pulling my thick hair through the cap was a pain, but it's better to have someone help you. I used every hole and left it in for about 25 mins. It gave me reddish caramel highlights. I bought this for around $12 at CVS and it came great. Would probably repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by eapieper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been experimenting with home hair colouring products for almost 20 years (yikes, that makes me feel old). I have never had a lot of success with the home highlighting kits: I have tried a few in the past, but always have ended up with brassy, blotchy results with the products that are applied with wands.

I have been trying to grow out my naturally medium/ dark blonde hair after having it cut to a short pixie style less than a year ago (after ++ damage from salon expensive bleaching/ colouring). I was hoping to go back to my natural colour mainly because I am sick of paying for expensive salon colouring.

I remember many years ago a friend of mine saying that she used this product, and her hair was a similar base colour as mine, and she had icy-blonde, natural looking hi-lites (looked like expensive salon colouring). I did not use this product in the past because I have been lured by the more modern packaging of some of the newer products.

Like I said, I have short hair (longest layers are just below my ears), that is naturally thick and wavy). I found that pulling the hair through the cap was fairly easy and took me less than 30 minutes (I only did face framing and crown protions of the cap, if I had done the underside I would have needed assistance from someone else). I pulled my hair through every hole in the cap.

I found that there was ample product for my short hair (I used approx 1/3 of the product). I left the product on for approx 30 minutes (at this point my hair looked very light blonde with no brassiness). I rinsed, washed and conditioned according to the package directions. I did not notice any breakage when I was combing or drying my hair.

I am super happy with the results. I achieved pretty, icy blonde natural looking hi-lites which are off-set by my natural ashy blonde undertones. I paid $10 for this product and I am happier with the results than I have been with salon colouring of $130 and many hours at the salon. I have washed my hair 2 times since the initial colouring and I am so far pleased with the condition of my hair.

I will definitely use this product again!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2011 11:47:00 PM More reviews by plmcgarry

I just used the Revlon highlight kit for the honey blonde highlights for med dark hair. My hair was dyed and highlighted professionally 6 months ago but I couldn't afford to do it again so I decided to try this product. My hair was a med to darkish brown with caramel hightlights that had faded.
My friend helped me and we used the cap which took forever. I read a lot of the reviews from this website before I chose this product and although a lot of people said to leave it on for well over 30 minutes, after 25 minutes my head started to burn (heat like, not chemically) and so I panicked because it was rather painful and I washed it out. My hair is brassy, yellow and the ends are so fried that they feel rubbery and look singed, and they break easily!!!! I don't know what we did wrong :( Is there any advice on how long I have to wait before I can go to a salon and get it repaired somehow???? I regret doing this and my hair looks horrible now. I would love advice!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 2:10:00 AM More reviews by HShanks

I used this kit today on my light golden brown (from a box) hair. I purchased the Honey color for a mere $5.99. I followed the suggestion of others and pre-punched the circles in the cap and also applied shine serum prior to pulling the hair through. I was able to easily pull my hair through the face and crown sections without the help of a friend or SO. I left the mixture on for 30 minutes and was able to achieve nice thin golden caramel highlights. Next time I think I will leave on a little longer and pull thicker sections through to achieve a more dramatic look. All in all I'm very happy with this product. Highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by archgurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used the kit for medium to dark brown hair for the first time yesterday. I wanted to add more highlights to my hair and fill in my roots that grew out over 2 months since using Loreal Touch On highlights. I am pleased with the extremely precise results although I wish that the highlights were more blonde. It took a long time to pull hair through every other hole in the plastic cap; my husband had to help with the back since it was impossible to reach on my own. I left on the product for 30 to 35 minutes. Next time I would leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or try the kit for blonde to light brown hair. I did not have the problem of dye/bleach seeping through the holes in the cap and leaving an unsightly spot near my roots because I applied the product from the ends of my hair and worked it up toward the cap. Overall, an impressive product for the $6.99 that I paid at Target! I definitely prefer this one to Loreal's Touch On highlights, which often turn out in strips that are too thick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by Angeldoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have medium-dark brown hair that I have been highlighting with this kit for over 10 yrs now! It gives salon like results. I get sunkissed dark blonde/caramel like color (think: model gisele, jennifer anniston, jessica alba, alessandra ambrosio). I leave it on for 35-40 mins so it goes passed the brassy orange stage but doesnt get too blonde. I use it every 3 months as my roots get pretty dark quickly. I Love that this product has literally saved me thousands of dollars over the years. my HG. :)
EDIT: For reference I use the Honey highlighs kit for medium - dark brown hair.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2011 10:51:00 AM More reviews by italiagirl007

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this. But I only left the product on for 15 minutes, and it made bright lemon yellow streaks in my dark blonde hair...it's just not attractive.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by annadaoud

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I have to say this is an amazing product! I have been trying to get to blonde for years now and over and over I get disappointed and just dye my hair back to black. This is a great product if you are a medium brown and lighter. I DO NOT recommend this product (or any bleaching product)if your hair is dyed dark brown to black hair. Its going to turn orange or red, and if you have any grow out that hair is going to be lighter. My hair was black, with many coats on top of another so I went to a salon to have them color correct my hair. I did that twice until I got to a good light brown. (With 4 weeks in between) It still had a very red tone to it so I put a semi permanent color a little darker to tone it down. bleach is very harsh no matter what volume you use so be careful! So after about 2 months of letting my hair recover I started researching good at home highlighting kits. I did not want to spend another 180$ at the salon for more highlights. I heard about the Revlon frost and glow, read A LOT of reviews, and finally decided to go pick it up. I got it at target for 6.00! Score! So I got home and pre poked the holes of the cap through, read that would make it a whole lot easier. So I put some shine serum in my hair to make it silky and put the cap on and started poking through. I wanted an all over look so I poked every whole. It is tedious and time consuming but well worth it. At the back I actually started poking my own holes just because it was much too hard to do it in a mirror and you can't really feel the wholes. This took me about an hour and half, I also made sure to putt a lot of hair through each whole. If you don't want an all over effect do every other whole and less hair. That being said the hook they give you is not bad at all. It didn't break, but I wasn't too rough with it. I did do this alone, but I do wish I had someone to help me with the back, but its doable. So once you have all the hair through go over it with a comb to make sure there is no bunch up at the root. And just start applying, I just used my hands, with gloves of course. I am going to say that just to be safe buy 2 boxes. My hair is not long at all and barely had enough for my whole head, and you do want to make sure the hair is soaked. After I put the plastic bag on my head I made sure to pull it tight so no air could get in(if your hair gets dry the bleach won't work) and put a blow dryer on it for about 30-45 seconds every 3-4 minutes. Your head will naturally heat it up. Make sure you are checking it every 4-5 minutes! I left mine on for about 15 minutes and reached a beautiful golden blonde with platinum streaks here and there.

I was VERY skeptical of this product, so worried it would be a disaster because my hair was already damaged and I had about an inch of grown out hair that I was worried would turn platinum and look weird but surprisingly didn't. Did damage my hair but it was already very vulnerable. A good conditioner left on over night is always a good idea once a week or so.

Sorry this was so long but I hope it was helpful! Happy highlighting!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Angelpuff2005

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this kit on my natural un-dyed dark brown hair and it came out amazing. I use to dye my hair all the time and finally gave it a break and let it all grow out and be natural. Anyways, I have long mid-back, curly thick hair ( That i always blow dry and straighten) and the amount of product was more than enough. The end result was NOT BRASSY! Thank goodness, because i swear i have red undertones and it did NOT bring those up. I'm pretty sure the blue in the formula cancels out the red. The strands i highlighted came out a gorgeous blonde and they are so shiny! i pulled my hair through every circle hole and that took forever. i had no help :( It took like 40 mins..I used the given hook tool which kinda sucks and i will buy one from sallys next time. I rubbed the color on with my gloved hands and covered my head with the cap, to trap the natural heat and speed up the process. It took about 20-25 minutes for my dark brown hair to go to blonde. I kept the holey cap on rinsed off the dyed strands...pulled the cap off and but a ton of conditioner on my hair and let it sit for 3 mins..( the conditioner they give you is enough for like a quarter of my head..so i used my own too.) The end results looks gorgeous. I blow dried and flat ironed my hair ( with got2b seriously sleek). My hair came out so soft and lovely. Next time i may do all the holes. But no complaints. This is a great product, and now my hair is ready for summer!!! :) p.s. right now at walgreens its only $6.99!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by jocelynxxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. I use it almost every year before summer to achieve highlights on my super dark brown hair. The only problem is I have to end up buying an extra package of blonde hair dye just to tone down the brassiness because there is not a lot of bleach product that comes in the highlighting kit, and my hair is super long. I love it, I use it on my friends, and I almost always get perfect results. I highly recommend it.