July 24, 2014 | 1077 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by jocelynxxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. I use it almost every year before summer to achieve highlights on my super dark brown hair. The only problem is I have to end up buying an extra package of blonde hair dye just to tone down the brassiness because there is not a lot of bleach product that comes in the highlighting kit, and my hair is super long. I love it, I use it on my friends, and I almost always get perfect results. I highly recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2011 9:31:00 AM More reviews by TequilaaSantos

I used the Honey highlights on colored dark brown hair. It didnt turn orange, but it barely showed up:(. I am going to try again today. Using the cap was not as hard as I thought though, even doing it alone. I think this works better on natural hair but hey it was only $9.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2011 7:16:00 PM More reviews by lumpyup

BRUNETTES: How to get deliciously caramel highlights with the dark brown hair kit! NO brassy tones at all! Seriously... perfect highlights :)

Products needed:

1. Highlighting kit in med to dark brown. $7 at Target

2. ApHogee 2-Step Protein Treatment and Balanced Moisturizer packet. $3.79 at Sally's. A must especially for pre-highlighted or colored hair to get even results.

3. Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Creme Hair Color in 7NB (Medium Neutral Blonde). $4.49 at Sally's.

4. Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer 10 Volume 4 oz. $1.79 at Sally's.

5. Tools: hair color mixing bottle, gloves, hair dryer.

Ok, do the Aphogee protein treatment right before you do you highlights. Just follow the instructions on the packet and dry your hair afterwards. It's a bit messy and takes a little while, but it gives excellent results and you won't regret it!

After your hair is dry, do the highlights just like it says on the box. Pre-poke the holes in the cap and your scalp will thank you :) Make sure you leave the bleach on enough time... Don't get scared by the orange/yellow hair you see -- It will get fixed later. Plus, the white/blue paste makes the hair look lighter than it actually is. Leave it on for at least 40 mins... go the full 60 mins if you want them real light. Wash them out and condition. Dry the hair.

Now you can stop here if you like the way they turned out, but dark brown hair tends to pull reddish/orange tones when lightened. This is where the next part comes in: toning with a neutral demi-permanent color that is the SAME color or LIGHTER than your intended highlight color. Medium neutral blonde 7NB is perfect. This is a deposit-only color which will not be bleach and therefore not damage your hair. You can always skip a few days between highlighting and this step, but there's really no need. Plus it will add awesome shine! Mix the whole bottle of the 4 oz developer with the whole 2 oz of color in the mixing bottle and apply. It's that easy! Leave it on for 10 mins and rinse out and condition. Dry and style and enjoy your perfect highlights :)

See pics for how they turned out on me following these exact steps. The only mistake I made was leaving the bleach in for too little time, about 30 mins, so they turned out a bit redder and darker.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by mgslld

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok! After reading many positive comments thought why not give it a try. Did all that was directed. The outcome was orange and brassy! Quite disappointed with the results. Didn't want to damage my hair anymore than already did so went out and bought a toner. Apparently, toner is quite gentle. Left it in for 5 minutes and AHHH sigh of relief. Got caramel colour. Glad I did. Now I love it! If it wasn't for the toner I think I would've given it a 1 lippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by Jennack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ve been coloring my hair at home for almost 3 years, this this first time that i did highlights. i bougth this product and wasnt sure about it so, las night i decide to try something new on my hair is being dark brown for a couple of moths. i put the cap on and star pulling my hair throug the circle holes but then decide to use all the holes.
For the back part of my head i need someone else help. I was thrilled with the results i have it on for about 30 mnts and it is amazing!! yu cant tell it wasnt a pro who did it, i got the right amount not too thick but well distibute it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2011 8:30:00 PM More reviews by makeupem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was very hesitant to try this product at first because I have never put any dye in my hair before. I have naturally blonde hair but it has darkened quite a bit over the past few years and I wanted it to be just a little bit lighter by adding some highlights but I was nervous they would not look natural, but I really didn't want to pay a ridiculous price in a salon so I decided to give this a try. I really really liked the results they looked very natural. I have repurchased it about 3 times since the 1st time I purchased it. I had my mom help me with it just because I think it would be a little difficult to do on your own, but its defiantly possible. It didn't stink or anything it actually smells pretty good. The only issue I have with it is every time after I use it and wash it out it is almost impossible to comb through my hair and I lose what seems like half a head of hair but after that first wash I don't lose an unusual amount of hair when I wash it/comb it. I will continue to use this product and would defiantly recommend it to others !

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2011 8:49:00 AM More reviews by cj2424

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First let me say I've never written a review on ANY product. This is my first review EVER but that is how impressed I am!! I just had to share about this great product!! :)

I used the Platinum Frost and Glow for my medium/light brown hair with blonde highlights (done at the salon for years). Lately, when I'd get my hair done, I'd been noticing my hair was turning out really brassy from the get-go, not after months like you might expect. I wanted to go lighter for the summer, and without spending a fortune at the salon.

With MUCH trepidation, I bought the Revlon Frost and Glow after reading some of the reviews on MUA. I used it last night and WOW, my hair came out awesome!!! I am no professional, and I've never done my hair at home by myself out of a box. This thing is fool-proof!!!

I pre-poked the holes in the cap as some previous reviewers suggested and that really helped. I followed all the directions thoroughly, and I pulled my hair through the cap all by myself! I took about an hour to pull all the hair I wanted through the cap. I didn't have any trouble with the hook, and I did make sure I pulled the cap as tightly as I could stand it. I put it on my roots and the back first (where my hair is darker) then added it to the rest of my hair. I left it in for about 25 minutes. Next time I'll wait a little longer so the highlights even more blonde. I started to panic when I saw my hair lightening so fast, like some previous reviewers warned about, but it was all for nothing - my highlights came out perfect! NO brassiness!! No toner needed! I am VERY impressed. I got $140 highlights for 10 bucks!!!!! I am super excited!! I highly recommend this product!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by MariaLeesa3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is for the Platinum Frost & Glow (although I have tried the one pictured and it also works great!).

I am always looking for a great at home platinum blond hair color, and this one definitely achieves that beautiful platinum color. I have been using Revlon Frost & Glow for years now, I keep trying different brands but always seem come back to this hair color & especially now with their new platinum color. When I color my hair with this high lighting kit I do not use the cap included. I use this highlighting kit as an all over color. The platinum seems to have less in it then their other blond color (next time I will be buying two boxes). It is very very strong and will bleach your hair VERY quickly. I did not leave it on for the entire 30 minutes and have an amazing platinum color :) Although the odor from the bleach is much stronger then other at home kits I have done, Revlon Frost & Glow seems to be the one I have had the most success with. I know I can always trust Revlon Frost & Glow to give me a natural, clean, and not funky blond color. & the price is fantastic also for someone who doesn't like to spend a lot!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by suznyc

I had high hopes for this product. Especially after reading all the reviews. My hair is a disaster. I've ended up with bright blonde on the ends and still have my dark roots - just with a few blonde streaks in them. I am really disappointed. I guess I will go get some single process color tomorrow and change it all and wait 'til I can afford to pay a professional again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2011 8:19:00 PM More reviews by 8788xo

I was literally jumping up and down when I saw the results of this kit. I've dyed my hair multiple times.. mostly dark colors. I went to salons wanting to lift the color. I was charged between $100-200 each time, and haven't had the result I did with this product. It lightened my hair! It's a light brown/golden chestnutty color (since I accidently lightened it all). Nonetheless... it didnt turn orange or yellow. It may not be perfect and it's a bit brassy (nothing worse than a salon has left me with) and that was too be expected with lightening dark hair. I'm really impressed as of right now.. I purchased the kit for $5.99! I'm glad I gave it a whirl.

Possible words of wisdom:
1. Doing this alone = probably not the best idea. The cap is a pain, but it's worth it... it's just easier to have someone else do it.

Also, I thought I read pull hair through every hole for "striking" results... it says every *circled* hole, OOPS. My friend pulled hair through every single hole... so it took 2 hours.. haha, but the result was still good! Just a bit tedious.

Also, this stuff smells suprisingly good! For $6, it is well worth the price! I still can't believe the results!

UPDATE (7/20/11), I've used this product two more times since my original review-- this product is well worth the money and the time, just make sure you follow the directions! and don't forget the strand test!