August 28, 2014 | 1472 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by archgurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used the kit for medium to dark brown hair for the first time yesterday. I wanted to add more highlights to my hair and fill in my roots that grew out over 2 months since using Loreal Touch On highlights. I am pleased with the extremely precise results although I wish that the highlights were more blonde. It took a long time to pull hair through every other hole in the plastic cap; my husband had to help with the back since it was impossible to reach on my own. I left on the product for 30 to 35 minutes. Next time I would leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or try the kit for blonde to light brown hair. I did not have the problem of dye/bleach seeping through the holes in the cap and leaving an unsightly spot near my roots because I applied the product from the ends of my hair and worked it up toward the cap. Overall, an impressive product for the $6.99 that I paid at Target! I definitely prefer this one to Loreal's Touch On highlights, which often turn out in strips that are too thick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by Angeldoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have medium-dark brown hair that I have been highlighting with this kit for over 10 yrs now! It gives salon like results. I get sunkissed dark blonde/caramel like color (think: model gisele, jennifer anniston, jessica alba, alessandra ambrosio). I leave it on for 35-40 mins so it goes passed the brassy orange stage but doesnt get too blonde. I use it every 3 months as my roots get pretty dark quickly. I Love that this product has literally saved me thousands of dollars over the years. my HG. :)
EDIT: For reference I use the Honey highlighs kit for medium - dark brown hair.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/14/2011 10:51:00 AM More reviews by italiagirl007

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this. But I only left the product on for 15 minutes, and it made bright lemon yellow streaks in my dark blonde hair...it's just not attractive.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by annadaoud

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I have to say this is an amazing product! I have been trying to get to blonde for years now and over and over I get disappointed and just dye my hair back to black. This is a great product if you are a medium brown and lighter. I DO NOT recommend this product (or any bleaching product)if your hair is dyed dark brown to black hair. Its going to turn orange or red, and if you have any grow out that hair is going to be lighter. My hair was black, with many coats on top of another so I went to a salon to have them color correct my hair. I did that twice until I got to a good light brown. (With 4 weeks in between) It still had a very red tone to it so I put a semi permanent color a little darker to tone it down. bleach is very harsh no matter what volume you use so be careful! So after about 2 months of letting my hair recover I started researching good at home highlighting kits. I did not want to spend another 180$ at the salon for more highlights. I heard about the Revlon frost and glow, read A LOT of reviews, and finally decided to go pick it up. I got it at target for 6.00! Score! So I got home and pre poked the holes of the cap through, read that would make it a whole lot easier. So I put some shine serum in my hair to make it silky and put the cap on and started poking through. I wanted an all over look so I poked every whole. It is tedious and time consuming but well worth it. At the back I actually started poking my own holes just because it was much too hard to do it in a mirror and you can't really feel the wholes. This took me about an hour and half, I also made sure to putt a lot of hair through each whole. If you don't want an all over effect do every other whole and less hair. That being said the hook they give you is not bad at all. It didn't break, but I wasn't too rough with it. I did do this alone, but I do wish I had someone to help me with the back, but its doable. So once you have all the hair through go over it with a comb to make sure there is no bunch up at the root. And just start applying, I just used my hands, with gloves of course. I am going to say that just to be safe buy 2 boxes. My hair is not long at all and barely had enough for my whole head, and you do want to make sure the hair is soaked. After I put the plastic bag on my head I made sure to pull it tight so no air could get in(if your hair gets dry the bleach won't work) and put a blow dryer on it for about 30-45 seconds every 3-4 minutes. Your head will naturally heat it up. Make sure you are checking it every 4-5 minutes! I left mine on for about 15 minutes and reached a beautiful golden blonde with platinum streaks here and there.

I was VERY skeptical of this product, so worried it would be a disaster because my hair was already damaged and I had about an inch of grown out hair that I was worried would turn platinum and look weird but surprisingly didn't. Did damage my hair but it was already very vulnerable. A good conditioner left on over night is always a good idea once a week or so.

Sorry this was so long but I hope it was helpful! Happy highlighting!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Angelpuff2005

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this kit on my natural un-dyed dark brown hair and it came out amazing. I use to dye my hair all the time and finally gave it a break and let it all grow out and be natural. Anyways, I have long mid-back, curly thick hair ( That i always blow dry and straighten) and the amount of product was more than enough. The end result was NOT BRASSY! Thank goodness, because i swear i have red undertones and it did NOT bring those up. I'm pretty sure the blue in the formula cancels out the red. The strands i highlighted came out a gorgeous blonde and they are so shiny! i pulled my hair through every circle hole and that took forever. i had no help :( It took like 40 mins..I used the given hook tool which kinda sucks and i will buy one from sallys next time. I rubbed the color on with my gloved hands and covered my head with the cap, to trap the natural heat and speed up the process. It took about 20-25 minutes for my dark brown hair to go to blonde. I kept the holey cap on rinsed off the dyed strands...pulled the cap off and but a ton of conditioner on my hair and let it sit for 3 mins..( the conditioner they give you is enough for like a quarter of my head..so i used my own too.) The end results looks gorgeous. I blow dried and flat ironed my hair ( with got2b seriously sleek). My hair came out so soft and lovely. Next time i may do all the holes. But no complaints. This is a great product, and now my hair is ready for summer!!! :) p.s. right now at walgreens its only $6.99!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2011 2:04:00 PM More reviews by jocelynxxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product. I use it almost every year before summer to achieve highlights on my super dark brown hair. The only problem is I have to end up buying an extra package of blonde hair dye just to tone down the brassiness because there is not a lot of bleach product that comes in the highlighting kit, and my hair is super long. I love it, I use it on my friends, and I almost always get perfect results. I highly recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2011 9:31:00 AM More reviews by TequilaaSantos

I used the Honey highlights on colored dark brown hair. It didnt turn orange, but it barely showed up:(. I am going to try again today. Using the cap was not as hard as I thought though, even doing it alone. I think this works better on natural hair but hey it was only $9.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2011 7:16:00 PM More reviews by lumpyup

BRUNETTES: How to get deliciously caramel highlights with the dark brown hair kit! NO brassy tones at all! Seriously... perfect highlights :)

Products needed:

1. Highlighting kit in med to dark brown. $7 at Target

2. ApHogee 2-Step Protein Treatment and Balanced Moisturizer packet. $3.79 at Sally's. A must especially for pre-highlighted or colored hair to get even results.

3. Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Creme Hair Color in 7NB (Medium Neutral Blonde). $4.49 at Sally's.

4. Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer 10 Volume 4 oz. $1.79 at Sally's.

5. Tools: hair color mixing bottle, gloves, hair dryer.

Ok, do the Aphogee protein treatment right before you do you highlights. Just follow the instructions on the packet and dry your hair afterwards. It's a bit messy and takes a little while, but it gives excellent results and you won't regret it!

After your hair is dry, do the highlights just like it says on the box. Pre-poke the holes in the cap and your scalp will thank you :) Make sure you leave the bleach on enough time... Don't get scared by the orange/yellow hair you see -- It will get fixed later. Plus, the white/blue paste makes the hair look lighter than it actually is. Leave it on for at least 40 mins... go the full 60 mins if you want them real light. Wash them out and condition. Dry the hair.

Now you can stop here if you like the way they turned out, but dark brown hair tends to pull reddish/orange tones when lightened. This is where the next part comes in: toning with a neutral demi-permanent color that is the SAME color or LIGHTER than your intended highlight color. Medium neutral blonde 7NB is perfect. This is a deposit-only color which will not be bleach and therefore not damage your hair. You can always skip a few days between highlighting and this step, but there's really no need. Plus it will add awesome shine! Mix the whole bottle of the 4 oz developer with the whole 2 oz of color in the mixing bottle and apply. It's that easy! Leave it on for 10 mins and rinse out and condition. Dry and style and enjoy your perfect highlights :)

See pics for how they turned out on me following these exact steps. The only mistake I made was leaving the bleach in for too little time, about 30 mins, so they turned out a bit redder and darker.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by mgslld

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok! After reading many positive comments thought why not give it a try. Did all that was directed. The outcome was orange and brassy! Quite disappointed with the results. Didn't want to damage my hair anymore than already did so went out and bought a toner. Apparently, toner is quite gentle. Left it in for 5 minutes and AHHH sigh of relief. Got caramel colour. Glad I did. Now I love it! If it wasn't for the toner I think I would've given it a 1 lippy.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by Jennack

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ve been coloring my hair at home for almost 3 years, this this first time that i did highlights. i bougth this product and wasnt sure about it so, las night i decide to try something new on my hair is being dark brown for a couple of moths. i put the cap on and star pulling my hair throug the circle holes but then decide to use all the holes.
For the back part of my head i need someone else help. I was thrilled with the results i have it on for about 30 mnts and it is amazing!! yu cant tell it wasnt a pro who did it, i got the right amount not too thick but well distibute it.