Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 6/10/2014 1:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I used this for maybe a year and considered it my HG. It did a really great job of removing my Revlon Colorstay foundation, which by itself is a tough foundation to get off and even harder when I wore primer and powder to keep it on. For the first few months or so my skin felt really nice and soft and I swore by this cleanser.

Eventually, my skin stopped feeling so soft and moisturized. Instead my skin felt irritated and extremely dry. I blamed this on my moisturizer instead of my face wash and tried many different moisturizers hoping to find one that would help. I decided to look up this cleanser and do some research and see if anybody else was having problems with this cleanser.

It has so many irritating ingredients I cannot believe I went so long with using this on my extremely sensitive combo skin. Once I stopped using this and tried a different cleanser my skin gradually felt much better.

I now use Olay's Sensitive Foaming face Wash which is my new forever HG. It leaves my face soft and moisturized and it has done so for months without breaking me out. It's also much cheaper with only being $4.99. Philosophy's Purity Made Simple is overpriced and horrible for my skin, I definitely wouldn't buy this again and I don't recommend it.

I bought this, hoping for a 1 step face cleaning and waterproof mascara removing product. Yes, it cleaned my face, but it left a lot of mascara behind on my lashes. I even did it a second time, and let it set for about a minute or so before wiping it away and my lashes still had mascara on them. It's a fine basic cleanser, however I still need a good eye makeup remover to remove my mascara and this is too expensive for it not to live up to the hype and my expectations. It didn't break me out, so there is at least that.

on 6/9/2014 1:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I received 8oz of this cleanser with my Clarisonic. I didn't try it, however, until I saw a Philosophy show on QVC. This particular product was advertised as a "gentle" cleanser that "won't strip your skin." Ha! I tried it one time and then gave it away. It left my skin way too dry, tight, and stripped feeling for me to give it a second chance. I didn't even like the scent - it had an herbal-y smell that reminded me of bug spray. The texture was the only decent thing about this product...it was just the right consistency to use with my Clarisonic brush. I'm glad I didn't shell out the $ to buy this myself.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been on and off with this face wash for many years. I have many girlfriends who swears by this product. I like that it gives a nice lather but doesn't do anything different than my Olay foaming face wash I buy during the 'off' period for less than a 1/4 of the price!

on 5/30/2014 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I'm torn between loving and hating this face wash. I received this face wash as a present and would never have bought it since it is so expensive and it is not a cruelty free brand. However, I do not like to waste anything so I ended up using this face wash and I have a lot of good things to say about it: it smells nice, it takes all the makeup off my face, when I use it with my clarisonic my skin cleared up and I didn't have any breakouts while using this product, it is gentle on the eyes, and I love the creamy non foamy texture. BUT there are some things I don't like about this product: it is NOT A CRUELTY FREE BRAND, there are sulfates and chemicals, there is yellow dye and the packaging sucks...it would be so much better to have a pump especially for the price you're paying. All in all I'd feel so guilty purchasing a cruelty product BUT it did clear up my skin and kept my skin clear so if someone else bought it for me id definitely accept the offer.

on 5/24/2014 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I've heard a lot of good things about this cleanser and after reading a magazine article on it I decided to give it a go. After a few week or more of using it I've formed my opinion.

What I Like:
-smells very nice! smells like lemons.
-foams up so nicely, a little goes a long way.
-it doesn't make my face feel tight or dry, makes my face feels very soft and moisturized.
-really did seem to get my face very clean. left no residue.

What I Don't Like:
-after about a week of use I started getting very painful cystic breakouts. Three in the cheek area, two on my eyebrows, one of my chin and even one on my nose. They're taking a lot of time to clear up :( I know this is what did it because it's the only thing I've changed in my routine and my diet habits are very healthy.
-after seeing the ingredients I'm embarrassed that I ever bough this stuff. It's full of parabens and sulfates and even contains A YELLOW COLOR DYE IN IT. REALLY?! Why does there need to be a color dye in a face wash? Frankly, it's a soap full of junk. No wonder I broke out.
-the price is also a little high. Ranges from 23 to 52 dollars depending on the size. Not spending that much money on something that's full of gross chemicals.

All in all, I'm very disappointed. It seemed like a nice cleanser at first but over time it really upset my skin and I'm still trying to get rid of some of these blemishes. I learned my lesson. READ THE INGREDIENTS before you spend your money please. There are lots of other cheaper options out there that don't have such strange ingredients. Don't end up like me.

on 5/23/2014 12:46:00 AM

This is another product I bought based on so many great reviews. I hated it! It made my skin oily and dull. I also do not like the scent.

on 5/22/2014 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have sensitive skin and this brought me out in a red rash across my cheeks therefore I wouldn't buy this again. However my skin was very soft and moisturised after using and I would recommend this if you had dry skin which was not sensitive. I didn't like the smell though, smells a bit like insect repellent!

on 5/21/2014 5:38:00 AM

It was my 29th birthday gift from my best friend in Nottingham. I've been using this cleanser every night for half a year now (first use on 10 Dec 2013) and this cleanser is AWESOME!!! Can be used to cleanse the eye area of makeup. Does not irritate my skin whatsoever. It removes all my makeup and is very gentle on the skin. It doesn't "strip" my face and cause major drying effect. My skin feels soft and refreshed after using it. So far I have not had any breakout from this product. During the day, I would use my Nivea Aqua Sensation facial wash or Liquid Neutrogena to wash my face.

Sephora in Malaysia just started carrying Philosophy brand in store and does not sell the 24oz bottle like the one my friend gave me. They only have the 16oz sized bottle and it's very pricey though. Too bad cos I love the convenient pump 24oz have. Will continue to use this until something better (and cheaper) come along.

on 5/20/2014 1:51:00 PM

I'm in love with this cleanser, all my life I thought using drugstore-brand cleansers would be more than enough for my face i'm usually quite money savvy when it comes to purchasing cleansers until i stumbled upon this. Initially i purchased Hope in a Jar moisturizer, however since my cleanser was about to finish i decided to give this one a try.

First usage already left me jawdropped. It amazes me how clean and soft my face felt using this with my clarisonic.This thing leaves a crazy soft feeling on my skin, my makeup is thoroughly removed (I wear only under eyes concealers, eyebrows,and blush) and most of all it doesn't dry my skin up! I would apply Hope In A Jar (for all skin types) after cleansing at night and i would wake up to the softest, smoothest skin I've ever felt, everyday. These 2 products work amaaaazing together. Both are my holy grail products. I'm now head over heels over Philosophy!!