November 22, 2014 | 1326 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2007 1:02:00 AM More reviews by escalades

I've been using BE Prime Time and compared to that, Velvet Skin Coat is so much thicker and harder to spread on my skin. I find that after a day at work, my mineral makeup has just slid off my face and I see the spots on my skin that I tried so hard to conceal. I've tried Smashbox, BE, and now DHC. I am going back to the BE. Sorry, DHC - I still love your moisturizers and face wash.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2007 1:36:00 PM More reviews by saveastray2day

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am very happy with this product, although I admit I've never tried any other primers. I use it just over moisturizer and under face powder, rarely under foundation, which I don't use too often. I don't find any problems with caking under the powder. The first time I got a sample I put it on half my face and asked my husband how I looked, and he actually could tell that that side looked better, which for him is a pretty big deal, especially since our kids call him "Oblivious Man"!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2007 3:11:00 PM More reviews by meerkat80

I used a sample of this I received in the mail and it is awesome. I've never used a primer before, as I don't even wear much make-up, but it's worth using just because it makes your skin feel so soft and seems to minimize pores and even out skin tone (I have sensitive, combination skin that's hard to please, too!). I just put a little bit on under my moisturizer.

The only problem is that it's so expensive, I don't know if I want to order it or not. Any suggestions for similar products would be very much appreciated!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2007 2:58:00 AM More reviews by steph_mark

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

all in all, i love this product. it's thicker than something like mac prep + prime, but for me it really holds my powder foundation on a lot better. with liquid foundations it doesn't always keep oil at bay as much as i'd like, but that's my oily skin's fault. the price isn't phenomenal, but i've been using the same tube for at least 2 months, so it'll last you. try to get a sample from DHC to give it a test-run under your current makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2007 2:10:00 PM More reviews by mh357

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG. I used to think I loved other primers more like Smashbox and BE, but this one is just fabulous. It seems like this is a love/hate product. You either love it or you don't. The very first time I used it (from a sample), I was nervous from all the bad reviews I'd read. Someone suggested putting a moisturizer on underneath, and that was a great tip. I put moisturizer on before, let it sit but not dry completely, and then put this on. Really, a little does go a long way. The texture is so different from other primers, even Smashbox, which is the only thing I can compare it to (and it doesn't even feel like that). It feels like it's going to be heavy and really drying to the skin, but it's not! After my makeup goes on my face feels soooo good. Really smooth- like velvet...so it really does a wonderful job, keeps the makeup on all day, and really is a velvet skin coat. I will keep rebuying this for the rest of my life! Or until I just get too lazy to put makeup on anymore.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2007 3:29:00 PM More reviews by duncan123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I got this as a sample with some other DHC products when I ordered a catalogue. In fact, that was primarily why I ordered the catalogue...for this product. However, much to my surprise, I am blown away by the Cleansing Oil sample, the nightime moisturizer and the eye cream. I've ordered all 3 and am eagerly awaiting them. The Velvet Skin Coat feels no different and performs no differently than my Lumene Primer/Base and even feels the same. It's not a bad product by any means, but there are cheaper choices out there...try the Lumene...it performs exactly the same.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2007 12:05:00 AM More reviews by wendycat00

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love velvet coat. I'm fair and have a tendency to get red, shiny and sweaty in the summer (not attractive). This product helps with all these problems. The only drawback, it's expensive. I read that a secret product that makeup artists use is Monistat chafing relief powder-gel! Yes, that's right! It works quite well. It costs $7.99 for a 42g tube. Compare that with DHC Velvet coat at $20 for a 15g tube! I'll save the velvet coat for special occasions but it's nice to know that I can afford to look better everyday now. The Monistat is a great everyday makeup primer or even a quick replacement for makeup. It evens out my skin tone beautifully and minimizes pores too!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2007 2:30:00 PM More reviews by KileyMc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay, well I cannot believe how poorly this performed for me. I use a primer every single day under my foundation, liquid or powder. I expect my primer to help with m/u application not make it worse. This grabbed on to my foundation and left me a cakey, blotchy mess. I had to wipe it all off and start over. And it did nothing to help with pore size. VSC reminds me, not fondly, of Smashbox. Slippery and greasy. CdP, Clinique and PL Eraser in what red? are sooo much better. Hands down, the worst primer I have ever used. If this is going to be your foray into primers, try others first!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2007 3:42:00 AM More reviews by mudpud

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Velvet Skin Coat was my first foray into the world of primers and let me just say, I was impressed. As the website describes, it is a powdery gel texture that smooths easily over your moisturizer, mattifies shine/oil, and makes your foundation last all day. My t-zone, particularly around the nose, is quite grateful. I didn't personally experience any breakouts on my normal-combo skin, but I am not particularly acne-prone. It's also one of those "you only need a little bit" products, so it should last longer than the small tube looks like it will. Still, 1/2 an ounce for $20? I'm still debating the size and price vs. its effectiveness--I can't make up my mind.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2007 11:21:00 AM More reviews by monikac2k7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first tried this as a free sample in a catalog I got in the mail. I was not familiar with DHC products. I followed the instructions and applied it after cleansing and moisturizing. I'm alway skeptical when trying new products, but the glowing reviews I have since read are true. I received wonderful results. My foundation applied much more smoothly and lasted all day. I just ordered my second tube. Yes, $20 is pricey for the small tube. But you truly do not need to apply any more than two drops for each application. It will last. My dry skin looks much smoother. You can request a free sample. This is my newest favorite and DHC has a new customer for life!