DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben

on 12/4/2007 1:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I got this as a sample. Out of all the primers I have tried this is my favorite. It doesnt feel greasy at all and helps my mineral makeup to last longer, at least I think so. It seems to even out my skin and feels so soft and velvety! I am using a sample of Smashbox primer now and it doesnt even compare to DHC. But the sample they give you for smashbox is more generous.

on 11/28/2007 5:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

As someone with extremely oily skin, I am constantly on the market for a good primer that will help control the oil as long as possible. I lvoe the way this product makes my skin feel, but I will admit that it's not the best for controlling oil or even for keeping makeup from "sliding". It does, however, give your skin a nice look even without makeup. I have found that this also a pretty good primer for eye shadow - it helps keep my eye shadow from creasing as quickly as usual.

on 11/27/2007 1:02:00 AM

I've been using BE Prime Time and compared to that, Velvet Skin Coat is so much thicker and harder to spread on my skin. I find that after a day at work, my mineral makeup has just slid off my face and I see the spots on my skin that I tried so hard to conceal. I've tried Smashbox, BE, and now DHC. I am going back to the BE. Sorry, DHC - I still love your moisturizers and face wash.

I am very happy with this product, although I admit I've never tried any other primers. I use it just over moisturizer and under face powder, rarely under foundation, which I don't use too often. I don't find any problems with caking under the powder. The first time I got a sample I put it on half my face and asked my husband how I looked, and he actually could tell that that side looked better, which for him is a pretty big deal, especially since our kids call him "Oblivious Man"!

on 10/18/2007 3:11:00 PM

I used a sample of this I received in the mail and it is awesome. I've never used a primer before, as I don't even wear much make-up, but it's worth using just because it makes your skin feel so soft and seems to minimize pores and even out skin tone (I have sensitive, combination skin that's hard to please, too!). I just put a little bit on under my moisturizer.

The only problem is that it's so expensive, I don't know if I want to order it or not. Any suggestions for similar products would be very much appreciated!

on 8/19/2007 2:58:00 AM

all in all, i love this product. it's thicker than something like mac prep + prime, but for me it really holds my powder foundation on a lot better. with liquid foundations it doesn't always keep oil at bay as much as i'd like, but that's my oily skin's fault. the price isn't phenomenal, but i've been using the same tube for at least 2 months, so it'll last you. try to get a sample from DHC to give it a test-run under your current makeup.

on 8/4/2007 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This is my HG. I used to think I loved other primers more like Smashbox and BE, but this one is just fabulous. It seems like this is a love/hate product. You either love it or you don't. The very first time I used it (from a sample), I was nervous from all the bad reviews I'd read. Someone suggested putting a moisturizer on underneath, and that was a great tip. I put moisturizer on before, let it sit but not dry completely, and then put this on. Really, a little does go a long way. The texture is so different from other primers, even Smashbox, which is the only thing I can compare it to (and it doesn't even feel like that). It feels like it's going to be heavy and really drying to the skin, but it's not! After my makeup goes on my face feels soooo good. Really smooth- like velvet...so it really does a wonderful job, keeps the makeup on all day, and really is a velvet skin coat. I will keep rebuying this for the rest of my life! Or until I just get too lazy to put makeup on anymore.

on 7/6/2007 3:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I got this as a sample with some other DHC products when I ordered a catalogue. In fact, that was primarily why I ordered the catalogue...for this product. However, much to my surprise, I am blown away by the Cleansing Oil sample, the nightime moisturizer and the eye cream. I've ordered all 3 and am eagerly awaiting them. The Velvet Skin Coat feels no different and performs no differently than my Lumene Primer/Base and even feels the same. It's not a bad product by any means, but there are cheaper choices out there...try the Lumene...it performs exactly the same.

on 7/6/2007 12:05:00 AM

I love velvet coat. I'm fair and have a tendency to get red, shiny and sweaty in the summer (not attractive). This product helps with all these problems. The only drawback, it's expensive. I read that a secret product that makeup artists use is Monistat chafing relief powder-gel! Yes, that's right! It works quite well. It costs $7.99 for a 42g tube. Compare that with DHC Velvet coat at $20 for a 15g tube! I'll save the velvet coat for special occasions but it's nice to know that I can afford to look better everyday now. The Monistat is a great everyday makeup primer or even a quick replacement for makeup. It evens out my skin tone beautifully and minimizes pores too!

on 7/1/2007 2:30:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Okay, well I cannot believe how poorly this performed for me. I use a primer every single day under my foundation, liquid or powder. I expect my primer to help with m/u application not make it worse. This grabbed on to my foundation and left me a cakey, blotchy mess. I had to wipe it all off and start over. And it did nothing to help with pore size. VSC reminds me, not fondly, of Smashbox. Slippery and greasy. CdP, Clinique and PL Eraser in what red? are sooo much better. Hands down, the worst primer I have ever used. If this is going to be your foray into primers, try others first!