Chanel Bronze Universel De Chanel Sun Illuminator

4.4

Cyclopentasiloxane,Dimethicone, Silica, Ozokerite, Methoxycinnamate, Dimethyl Silylate, Polymethylsilsequioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Parfum, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbal Palmitate, Glyceryl, Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid, [ /- (May contain)CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77491, CI 77499 (Iron oxides), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), Mica]

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I cannot believe I hadn't reviewed this yet! I love this product and have been using it since if first came out. I am still on my first jar! I use it for cheek colour as opposed for all over bronzer for me, but it gives me a wonderful natural tanned look on my cheeks! If it is in the middle of summer, I will use it all over to even out my skin. I use this as soon as summer hits and stop using foundation altogether. I also use this as a cheek colour along with Guerlain terra cotta all over bronzer - really nice mix on my skin! Love the consistency, lasts absolutely forever, truly a good product.

on 3/21/2009 2:30:00 PM

another gorgeously unique chanel product!! went to macy's counter looking for an illuminator powder (along the lines of mac's beauty powder) and got chatting with my fave chanel rep. we tried several different illuminating prods on me and ended up with the following: disco ball girl (sooo not what i had in mind) with their gold powder, bronze nut-brown island girl (not exactly natural for a redhead) and this: pure perfection in the various ways she taught me to use this multi-purpose prod. originally swiped it under and (lightly) onto cheekbones for a lightly bronzed and prettily sculpted look, then lightly allover for a tanned look (which my ghost-white skin needs daily in order to not look ill) and finally as a base under foundation. can't really decide which way i like it best yet....i think i like what i did with it the other day best: first as a base primer under my CD Forever foundation, applied with a kabuki, then over the foundation to sculpt out my cheekbones and lightly on temples and over eyes in a C like i often do with a powder bronzer. GORGEOUS and so natural and flattering :) i got so many "god, your skin's pretty" comments, no "nice bronzer" or "do you fake bake?" comments. that's a huge plus for me. it even seemed to help the slightly peu d'orange texture of my cheeks. pricey, yes by god, it is...like all chanel products. but so so worth it IMHO.
UPDATE: In the "air-conditioner-kicked-it" heat of the building where i work, this stuff literally ran (and took my foundation with it) off my face--grossly. so much so that one of my male friends who never notices such things said "what happened there? you look like you were working under a dirty car." had such high hopes and great results with this before, my disappointment is total.

I use this "bronzer" as a primer/foundation (on good skin days!) in summertime (applied with a brush all over my face) and any time of year as a contour product patted on lightly with my fingers. It has the most gorgeous scent and is a total luxury really that I wouldn't repurchase - I don't think this huge tub will ever run out!

on 3/5/2009 10:48:00 AM

I brought this product about a year and a half ago, I still have loads left! I brought it first as an all over face illuminator however I wasn't liking the obvious colour definition of my neck and my face! So I now use it to contour which is much better, however not so good if you have dry skin as it tends to clump and show flakies. Texture is lovely however not really worth it!

on 1/31/2009 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wasn't too sure how to apply this at first. Using your fingers is no good. I use a foundation brush now and I really love this product.
Its buildable colour means its easy to apply and doesn't go on too dark at first. With powder bronzers I always seem to end up with dark uneven patches on my face.
Its a creamy powder consistency, but goes on dry and not oily.
The most natural looking bronzer I've used.
The smell is lovely too, like all chanel products which is fresh and not overly perfumed.
Expensive but completely worth it. I'm yet to try a chanel product that I don't like.

on 1/18/2009 5:34:00 AM

Oh I am so gutted. I absolutely love this product... but it gave me the most horrendous spots: the closest I've ever come to cystic acne. Which really is a shame because it's as everyone here describes: natural, sheer buildable colour. I loved the fact i could just sweep it on over my sunscreen (once it had been absorbed) and not look made-up as I feel I do with powder bronzer. But this is definitely the product that gave me whopping zits because I used it solidly for three weeks while camping and as soon as I stopped, they disappeared. Shame!

on 1/16/2009 2:20:00 AM

At first I thought this product was going to be weird to use, I mean, it's in a small jar, and it's basically SOLID!? Umm, how to use?? So I took a flat foundation brush and tapped it into the jar on top of the hard clay-like product, and then tapped and smoothed it over my face. Wow! It actually looks GREAT! Subtle, not dirty-looking. And of course it has that signature Chanel smell ;) This stuff looks like it'll last quite a while!

on 11/16/2008 10:09:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The Chanel Bronze Universel is truly a wonderful product. I don't really use this a bronzer but more as a foundation. The color is darker than my skintone (medium asian), but because its rather sheer, I can get away with it during the summer months when I'm more tan.
The texture is a soft gel/cream, that is easily spreadable and bleandable. I use this with the Chanel foundation brush, a few swipe on my face, spread it a bit and then blend with the Chanel kabuki brush.
The result is a lovely semi matte finish, with a slight glow. Not matte and flat but also not too shinny and dewey. Very natural!
I use this most of the time alone without powder on top. And it last me almost all day. Well of course my t-zone get slightly oily after a couple of hours, but I just blot a bit with a tissue.
The coverage is light but it even out my face (for the problem spots or discolouration I always use a concealer).
Another use is to mix it up with other products. I normally don't use a separate sun protection in my daily face routine (sun products tends to break me out). But when I know im goin to be outdoor a long period (the beach etc) I use this mix with the the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection SPF55. Or in the wintertime with the YSL Teint Parfait to make the color a bit lighter.
This product for me is my basic foolproof basic foundation for the days when my skin feel blah and don't really feel like doing a lot of makeup. First of all in doesn't accentuate flakes or cakey, it doesn't make me feel or look oily and it doesn't feel heavy on the skin. Also the most important it doesn't break me out or give me clogs pores like sum of the other face products out there. Just a nice product to even out my complexion and that last the whole day on my normal/oily combination skin.
For more polish “perfect” flawless face I use my other foundations. But for daytimes natural looks “like your not wearin any makeup but still look good” days, I grab this.
The price is, well.. very “Chanel”! But you do get quite a lot of product and you don't need to use a lot. A tub has last me for over 2years now (but I don't use this everyday) I'm almost finish and deff gonna buy it again! :D

on 8/4/2008 12:19:00 PM

What a brilliant product, although quite hard to describe! The consistency is quite unusual - basically solid, like the firmest gel blushers, and turning quite powdery on application; you have to rub your fingers or a brush in the pot and then smooth it on. It's very easy to apply: no streaking or patchiness, and really quick coverage. I have just been away and used this in place of a base - it took away any shininess and left lovely, tanned, matt-but-glowing, flawless skin, and lasted all night despite the heat. Smells nice too, and there's a lot of product in the pot so it's not horrendously priced. This has become a staple in record time.
Colour: not too orange, but I have very yellow-based skin and I wonder if this would suit absolutely everyone. For me, though, HG!

on 7/25/2008 9:00:00 PM

I love everything about this product, the package, the smell & the amount of product. I gives me that instant tan that i swear to god that I've never achieved in real life, yep that's sad lol. The intensity of the tan is very buildable, you can go from light to dark, depends on personal preference. I also put it on my neck, chest and wherever needs the tan when going out at night. Would buy it again when running out but it seems like i'll last forever.

Video Reviews & Tutorials