August 29, 2014 | 1901 users online

Bronzers - Chanel - Bronze Universel De Chanel Sun Illuminator

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by chelleywhite

I use this "bronzer" as a primer/foundation (on good skin days!) in summertime (applied with a brush all over my face) and any time of year as a contour product patted on lightly with my fingers. It has the most gorgeous scent and is a total luxury really that I wouldn't repurchase - I don't think this huge tub will ever run out!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2009 10:48:00 AM More reviews by munchkinhead

I brought this product about a year and a half ago, I still have loads left! I brought it first as an all over face illuminator however I wasn't liking the obvious colour definition of my neck and my face! So I now use it to contour which is much better, however not so good if you have dry skin as it tends to clump and show flakies. Texture is lovely however not really worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2009 7:17:00 PM More reviews by ropey

I wasn't too sure how to apply this at first. Using your fingers is no good. I use a foundation brush now and I really love this product.
Its buildable colour means its easy to apply and doesn't go on too dark at first. With powder bronzers I always seem to end up with dark uneven patches on my face.
Its a creamy powder consistency, but goes on dry and not oily.
The most natural looking bronzer I've used.
The smell is lovely too, like all chanel products which is fresh and not overly perfumed.
Expensive but completely worth it. I'm yet to try a chanel product that I don't like.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:34:00 AM More reviews by Lizziemc

Oh I am so gutted. I absolutely love this product... but it gave me the most horrendous spots: the closest I've ever come to cystic acne. Which really is a shame because it's as everyone here describes: natural, sheer buildable colour. I loved the fact i could just sweep it on over my sunscreen (once it had been absorbed) and not look made-up as I feel I do with powder bronzer. But this is definitely the product that gave me whopping zits because I used it solidly for three weeks while camping and as soon as I stopped, they disappeared. Shame!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 2:20:00 AM More reviews by NurseKristen

At first I thought this product was going to be weird to use, I mean, it's in a small jar, and it's basically SOLID!? Umm, how to use?? So I took a flat foundation brush and tapped it into the jar on top of the hard clay-like product, and then tapped and smoothed it over my face. Wow! It actually looks GREAT! Subtle, not dirty-looking. And of course it has that signature Chanel smell ;) This stuff looks like it'll last quite a while!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2008 10:09:00 AM More reviews by nophie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

The Chanel Bronze Universel is truly a wonderful product. I don't really use this a bronzer but more as a foundation. The color is darker than my skintone (medium asian), but because its rather sheer, I can get away with it during the summer months when I'm more tan.
The texture is a soft gel/cream, that is easily spreadable and bleandable. I use this with the Chanel foundation brush, a few swipe on my face, spread it a bit and then blend with the Chanel kabuki brush.
The result is a lovely semi matte finish, with a slight glow. Not matte and flat but also not too shinny and dewey. Very natural!
I use this most of the time alone without powder on top. And it last me almost all day. Well of course my t-zone get slightly oily after a couple of hours, but I just blot a bit with a tissue.
The coverage is light but it even out my face (for the problem spots or discolouration I always use a concealer).
Another use is to mix it up with other products. I normally don't use a separate sun protection in my daily face routine (sun products tends to break me out). But when I know im goin to be outdoor a long period (the beach etc) I use this mix with the the Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection SPF55. Or in the wintertime with the YSL Teint Parfait to make the color a bit lighter.
This product for me is my basic foolproof basic foundation for the days when my skin feel blah and don't really feel like doing a lot of makeup. First of all in doesn't accentuate flakes or cakey, it doesn't make me feel or look oily and it doesn't feel heavy on the skin. Also the most important it doesn't break me out or give me clogs pores like sum of the other face products out there. Just a nice product to even out my complexion and that last the whole day on my normal/oily combination skin.
For more polish “perfect” flawless face I use my other foundations. But for daytimes natural looks “like your not wearin any makeup but still look good” days, I grab this.
The price is, well.. very “Chanel”! But you do get quite a lot of product and you don't need to use a lot. A tub has last me for over 2years now (but I don't use this everyday) I'm almost finish and deff gonna buy it again! :D

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2008 12:19:00 PM More reviews by covetous

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

What a brilliant product, although quite hard to describe! The consistency is quite unusual - basically solid, like the firmest gel blushers, and turning quite powdery on application; you have to rub your fingers or a brush in the pot and then smooth it on. It's very easy to apply: no streaking or patchiness, and really quick coverage. I have just been away and used this in place of a base - it took away any shininess and left lovely, tanned, matt-but-glowing, flawless skin, and lasted all night despite the heat. Smells nice too, and there's a lot of product in the pot so it's not horrendously priced. This has become a staple in record time.
Colour: not too orange, but I have very yellow-based skin and I wonder if this would suit absolutely everyone. For me, though, HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by HeidiV

I love everything about this product, the package, the smell & the amount of product. I gives me that instant tan that i swear to god that I've never achieved in real life, yep that's sad lol. The intensity of the tan is very buildable, you can go from light to dark, depends on personal preference. I also put it on my neck, chest and wherever needs the tan when going out at night. Would buy it again when running out but it seems like i'll last forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2008 6:01:00 PM More reviews by holly00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the absolute most fantastic Bronzer I have ever used, I was very hesitant to buy it because of my oily skin I thought it would add too much oil but it has not left me with any excess oil at all. I also worried that the colour would be too orange but it just seems to match up to any colour skin like magic because it suits both me and my best friend perfectly and we have completely opposite skin tones!
Tip- buy the petit pinceau brush with it, it makes a BIG difference from a poorer quality brush and makes the makeup go on flawlessly.
I can see me buying many more of these in the future, note to Chanel: never discontinue this product!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by cbarry

This bronzer is beautiful! I have combo skin, it breaks out and gets clogged at the drop of a hat and this doesn't bother it at all. You need to buy the Chanel brush that goes with it (or some other brush for cream application). It gives a sun kissed glow and doesn't turn into an oil slick, but also isn't matte. It looks natural in bright light/sunlight too. My hair guy actually recommended this to me when I commented on his beautiful tan....it was this bronzer he was wearing (even on his bald head!!)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No