November 23, 2014 | 2021 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Surf Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2009 11:52:00 PM More reviews by PaulaSims

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my 1st review and I feel very strongly about this product. For me, it's a true HG. I have very fine hair, LOTS of it, "somewhat" graying, but there are waves under the top layer. After convincing my new stylist that I did have wavy hair, she cut it wonderfully and then sprayed this stuff on me and I couldn't believe the volume I got. I thought it was just a typical hairstylist trick of blowing dry in a manner I never could, but when I tried this at home without drying, my hair had bounce and shine. I still need a curling cream (I prefer the B&B mousse) to get the curls going, but this is great for a "Meg Ryan in French Kiss" type look.

There are two minor negatives: The first negative is that sometimes my head can itch in places so I guess there's some drying out going on from the salt, but I will definitely buy again and again as it is the ONLY thing that's worked on my hair (and I truly have tried hundreds of products).

The other negative is that it doesn't come with a protective cap but rather a sleeve that needs to be replaced to prevent the product from leaking out. Not thrilled about that.

Still, not enough to have me give this up

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2009 11:22:00 AM More reviews by rbyars1

Yikes...Maybe I misinterpreted what this spray was supposed to do. I was so excited to use it thinking I would get sexy, beachy tousled waves but instead I ended up with dry, frizzy, stiff dull hair that felt heavy and dirty. This is a big NO for me..didnt like it at all.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 4:49:00 PM More reviews by sailorj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It's too heavy for me to spray into my fine, frizzy, curly hair when I wear it curly, it just makes it so unbelievably kinky I can't handle iit. But it's great to spritz on your crown when blowing out your hair (just a little!) for volume and texture. Love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2009 4:19:00 PM More reviews by sharonbrito

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This just made my hair feel dirty and sticky. Couldn't wait to wash it out! This is definately not great for fine hair. Also, it was way overpriced!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2009 5:44:00 PM More reviews by Tatum69

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I first heard of this product from a magazine (Blake Lively apparently uses it) and I have always been in search of the perfect waves for my thick hair. This product is AMAAAZZING! i love it! I am absolutely hooked. It doesn't make hair greasy and brings out wonderful waves that last. I personally love the smell. It's a little strong at first but it ends up sinking into a light beachy smell. I would highly reccomend this for anyone looking for beachy waves. Yes, it's a little pricey but well worth every cent.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2009 11:44:00 PM More reviews by bitsits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am a fan of products that do what they advertise, and this product does what it advertises. I have used Sunsilk Waves of Envy and the old John Frieda Ocean Waves in the past, but this spray is more like a "true" salt spray. The others have that layer of oil or whatever floating on top, and I don't think this does. It's salt water / hairspray, and it does an awesome job holding the hair and creating volume. It leaves a matte finish, which took a while to get used to. I spray it on wet roots for texture or on my hands and scrunch for waves. It creates a perfect messy effect.

That said, It is bloody expensive. I bought it at a CCO for $14, which I found tolerable. It makes my hair feel dry when I use it, but doesn't seem to leave lasting damage. The packaging is cute and portable. The product itself smells kinda bad, but it's a mild smell. I don't use it all the time (messy hair is frowned-upon at my office), so yeah... It's a fun product for me; not especially practical, but fun to play with on weekends.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2009 7:48:00 AM More reviews by tallulah_starr

This is one product I repurchase time and time again. I have hair that is dead straight, fine in texture but lots of it, never holds a curl or volume of any kind....usually. This spray works for me where nothing else has. I tend to spray it into dry hair at night, twist my hair slightly and hold with snag free bands, sleep on it and lo, in the morning, great hair that still looks good at the end of a long day! Its also brilliant in that it gives my hair bulk and grip on days when I want to put it up. Really couldn't live without this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2009 12:48:00 PM More reviews by MB418

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just love the packaging first of all. It looks so chic in the bathroom and reminds me of the beach. In fact, I bought another bottle the very next day because I didn't think the bottle wil last for more than 2 months. I seem to have to use a lot and still didn't seem to see the effect on my just-washed hair.

I don't think I should use it on squeaky-clean hair though. I still have faith in the product because it does make it feel less fine.

edit: now it is night time, and I LOVE my hair! I guess it takes a while to work. Love love love this product!

Would definitely recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by xanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Yes, it is expensive but totally worth it if your hair is fine, thin, stick straight and slippery smooth. I got it from a new stylist that I went to since after she had finished, my hair had more volume and texture than it ever had before (my previous stylist also used B&B, but never this product). She said all she applied was a tiny bit of B&B Styling Creme and surf spray. I couldn't afford both so she told me buy the surf spray and then gave me a huge amount of styling creme sample packets (and coco creme poo/conditioner samples, love her). I don't use it every day (I'm a wash&air dry kind of girl, my hair is too easily damaged--and I'm too lazy--to handle anything else) but when I want volume and texture this is the only product that has ever delivered. I apply it to my hands and then scrunch it through my hair starting at the roots. Blow dry or air dry, the effect is noticeable either way. And as long as you don't use massive amount every day, it seems to last forever. I bought it in January (now July) and when I shake the bottle it feels like I haven't used any at all. Plus I seem to be able to go longer without washing my hair if I use this. Might be drying if you use it every single day and the smell reminds me vaguely of Nair but the smell isn't noticeable once it is in your hair and like I said before, this is the only volume/texture product I've tried that WORKS.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2009 1:24:00 PM More reviews by cece1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love this stuff! Bumble and Bumble has been having some awesome free shipping deals and their website also has recently been updated with how-to videos.

This spray can be used on wet or dry hair. It gives that 2nd day hair instantly. Lots of volume!

Also works great layered over Grooming Creme.