October 26, 2014 | 1310 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2012 7:01:00 AM More reviews by hunnybunnyipm

I bought this on a lark - I've mostly moved on to department store brands but I try to keep an open mind. And wow - this had me really irritated at Chanel, Lancome, and Estee Lauder whose products DO NOT last like a $8 Maybelline.

I have greasy lids. I've long ago accepted that I won't get 24 hours, or 12, or 10. BUT, with Too Faced Shadow Plus as a primer, I DO get at least 10 hours, usually more out of this shadow (that's a positive, not a negative. I melt most shadows completely away in 3 or 4 hours). If it does crease, it's minimal. And it WAY outlasts my $36 Chanel, which is my favorite color ever, so that really annoys me, haha. Plus this color is so versatile.

On complaint is that it doesn't come with an applicator and you have to use the right brush to apply. I really like the Smashbox brush set I got at Ulta on Black Friday, and it puts it on beautifully. I've had less luck with other brushes - if you're not liking the application, try a few different brushes and see if that helps. Nice slice of humble pie for a department store snob :).

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by missbrightside08

I like this product because of the color and staying power. The color is a good base for building up eyeshadow on top of it. However, it sets really really fast, so when you apply it you have to smudge it immediately with your finger to the area on your lid that you want it. Otherwise, if you wait even a few seconds, it will NOT budge and you can't blend it. So it really is like a tattoo right after you apply it.
The packaging is in a glass container, kind of heavy but it looks nice from the front. I don't like the cheap looking black lid with the white print on it, it looks harsh and not classy. Bought it for $7 at Target, which is kind of pricey for a drugstore brand, but the quality is quite good so the price is understandable.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by missym13

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If someone would help me with application of this product. I finally find a shadow that has staying power and NO shimmer,glimmer,or or glitter.I am having a problem though blending it on my lid. It seems to get patchy looking. How can I remedy this girls.I even tried it on with primer.I absolutely love the taupe color..the other colors are too extreme for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

great one for winter smokey eye. very easy to apply. i suggest to apply in thin layer, but three times for a longer staying power and an opaque color. completely matte greyish brown color. a must have for dark brown or black eyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2012 7:16:00 AM More reviews by cel1979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product after reading all the hype. Glad I did.
Colour:
This is a cool toned mushroom, taupe colour. It can look slightly grey in some lights. I don't mind this on my B20 (Chanel) skin tone.

Texture:
This reminds me most of a Mac Paint Pot. Not identical but that's the texture I liken it to.

Application:
I've applied this direct to my oily lids with no primer using fingers and it applied evenly, if a little thick. But if I worked quickly, it did sheer out.
Have also used a Mac 217 to sweep over the lid which sheers the product out nicely to create a softer day time look. I also used Mac 219 to line under the eye and the line didn't budge throughout the day.

Longevity:
This lasted all day below the lower lash line and did last all day (about 12 hours) on my lids without a primer but there was some fading but I didn't really notice any creasing. Not sure about the 24 hour title as I don't leave make up on that long.

The price is good.
The only downfall for me in this range is the strange colours Maybelline have come up with. I would have thought after the initial launch and success they would consider some expansion. There aren't really any other colours i'm interested in, in this range.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by malco

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this as an eyeliner. It's not glittery, but is very thick. Color turns out a grayish blue on me. I wished it was more of a brown taupe. It's good, lasts all day and applies pretty easily. I bought a few more colors, but I really don't like the glitter in some of them.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by atroquinine

This product is fine, but I don't think it's worth the hype. The main reason for this is because it's impossible for me to apply with my fingers, it just gets patchy and looks smeared, and that's one of the reasons I would choose a creamy eyeshadow over a powder because they are generally quicker and easier to apply. Not the case with this. It does work very well with a brush, however. I use a small rounded brush and blend it out with a fluffier one and that looks alright. I still don't think it's worth the rating it has on here for the fact that it takes a while to get used to working with, dries very quickly, and the color selection is all over the place but still somehow only hits the shades of the colors that look too dramatic for my taste. Of the limited colors I chose Tough As Taupe and it is definitely on the gray side of taupe. My skin is very pale (Mac doesn't make a shade light/neutral enough) so I'm not sure if I'm in love with it on me. I can imagine it working for someone else.

Overall, it's alright quality but L'oreal Infallibles still win for me. The only this has over those is staying power - this shadow would be amazing for people who have issues with oily lids or who sweat a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by ChloeYoung

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wonderful product, works great as a base cause when it's dried down it has a little tackiness to it.Any loose pigments or eyeshadows would stay on the lid throughout the day without creasing. And the taupe shade is a perfect base color for a soft, daily smokey eye look.
Nice packaging, compared to the cheap plastic L'oreal infallibles.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by SierraStormrage

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I pick out of these up yesterday after hearing so many positive reviews on it.
And i love it, it has a matte finish with is unusual, but it just works.
Made a gorgeous green smokey eye, using this as base, got some many compliments. :3
Doesn't crease, lovely color, this product is heavenly.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Suzzieraquel

I own Tough as Taupe and Bad to the Bronze. I decided to try these out as a base. These are AMAZING. Worn as a base OR alone. They do tend to dry quickly but they do give you time to ajust the color. I wear Bad to the Bronze almost everyday. Beautiful color! Just wish they had more matte colors :(