September 18, 2014 | 1715 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

great one for winter smokey eye. very easy to apply. i suggest to apply in thin layer, but three times for a longer staying power and an opaque color. completely matte greyish brown color. a must have for dark brown or black eyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/15/2012 7:16:00 AM More reviews by cel1979

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product after reading all the hype. Glad I did.
Colour:
This is a cool toned mushroom, taupe colour. It can look slightly grey in some lights. I don't mind this on my B20 (Chanel) skin tone.

Texture:
This reminds me most of a Mac Paint Pot. Not identical but that's the texture I liken it to.

Application:
I've applied this direct to my oily lids with no primer using fingers and it applied evenly, if a little thick. But if I worked quickly, it did sheer out.
Have also used a Mac 217 to sweep over the lid which sheers the product out nicely to create a softer day time look. I also used Mac 219 to line under the eye and the line didn't budge throughout the day.

Longevity:
This lasted all day below the lower lash line and did last all day (about 12 hours) on my lids without a primer but there was some fading but I didn't really notice any creasing. Not sure about the 24 hour title as I don't leave make up on that long.

The price is good.
The only downfall for me in this range is the strange colours Maybelline have come up with. I would have thought after the initial launch and success they would consider some expansion. There aren't really any other colours i'm interested in, in this range.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by malco

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I use this as an eyeliner. It's not glittery, but is very thick. Color turns out a grayish blue on me. I wished it was more of a brown taupe. It's good, lasts all day and applies pretty easily. I bought a few more colors, but I really don't like the glitter in some of them.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by atroquinine

This product is fine, but I don't think it's worth the hype. The main reason for this is because it's impossible for me to apply with my fingers, it just gets patchy and looks smeared, and that's one of the reasons I would choose a creamy eyeshadow over a powder because they are generally quicker and easier to apply. Not the case with this. It does work very well with a brush, however. I use a small rounded brush and blend it out with a fluffier one and that looks alright. I still don't think it's worth the rating it has on here for the fact that it takes a while to get used to working with, dries very quickly, and the color selection is all over the place but still somehow only hits the shades of the colors that look too dramatic for my taste. Of the limited colors I chose Tough As Taupe and it is definitely on the gray side of taupe. My skin is very pale (Mac doesn't make a shade light/neutral enough) so I'm not sure if I'm in love with it on me. I can imagine it working for someone else.

Overall, it's alright quality but L'oreal Infallibles still win for me. The only this has over those is staying power - this shadow would be amazing for people who have issues with oily lids or who sweat a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by ChloeYoung

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wonderful product, works great as a base cause when it's dried down it has a little tackiness to it.Any loose pigments or eyeshadows would stay on the lid throughout the day without creasing. And the taupe shade is a perfect base color for a soft, daily smokey eye look.
Nice packaging, compared to the cheap plastic L'oreal infallibles.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by SierraStormrage

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I pick out of these up yesterday after hearing so many positive reviews on it.
And i love it, it has a matte finish with is unusual, but it just works.
Made a gorgeous green smokey eye, using this as base, got some many compliments. :3
Doesn't crease, lovely color, this product is heavenly.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Suzzieraquel

I own Tough as Taupe and Bad to the Bronze. I decided to try these out as a base. These are AMAZING. Worn as a base OR alone. They do tend to dry quickly but they do give you time to ajust the color. I wear Bad to the Bronze almost everyday. Beautiful color! Just wish they had more matte colors :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by secondadonna

Pleasantly surprised by this product -- would never have tried it if it weren't for the reviews here! I've never before tried a drugstore cream-style eyeshadow that didn't crease & smudge instantly.

Tough as Taupe is a fairly deep, cool mushroomy taupe. On my hand, it's possible to blend it lightly enough to be a subtle shade, but I can't achieve that on my eyes (and I've used both fingers and a brush). It applies best with a flat, smooth eyeshadow brush I got from the Body Shop long ago. Otherwise it ends up uneven and too heavy. I like it as a base for a fairly smokey eye, or for a more everyday look, applied all over then a highlight shade all over the lid & inner corners. Because it's almost matte (sort of a satin finish) it's quite flexible day-to-night.

This is no MAC Paint: it thinks about creasing at the end of a long day. But it doesn't cause the dry crepey effect I sometimes get from Paints. It gives powder shadow something to grab onto and the lasting power is excellent for a creamy shadow.

Thinking about picking up some other colours! Assuming the formula stays the same across shades, I think some of the lighter colours could be very useful base/highlighter shades.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 5:10:00 PM More reviews by lavenderwig

maybelline color tattoo is the only eye shadow i like. i was always an eyeliner person, and any shadow i got was cheap crappy powder, with and without shimmer, and i was never happy with the way it looked, felt, or faded my eyeliner with its dust. never tried any other way, like eyeshadow sticks, but i just figured since they are chubby i wouldn't be able to put it right above my eyeliner (note--when i say eyeliner i mean a thick cat eye thing i do with the mac gel eyeliner in the pot). i didn't want to get any of the eyeliner on top the pencil tip. thus, me giving up on eyeshadows altogether. i'm not a pro with makeup colors, i'd rather conceal and apply foundation to my face to make it all one color, apply eyeliner, then apply chapstick! very basic. oh maybelline mega plush mascara also. lately been doing a dark wine color on the lip for fall. but that just happened a day ago, so i'm obsessed with this specific look right now. anyway, i tried tattoo right when it came out. i wanted to see if the color was true. to my surprise it felt amazing, it stayed on, and EVERY color looked so good somehow. even the orange and orange is never a color near me. i had a bad habit back then though and never could actually buy anything. i didn't pay today, but hey, it was already unwrapped and only tried once.. anyways, grey is my favorite "color", always has been, and i use an estee lauder blending shadow brush to apply. i use like nothing to get the look i want. will last a long time i imagine. if i have a dark lip, i like to make a bit of a smokey eye. if i'm just using chapstick i can cover the eyelid in seconds and it's bold yet blends if you want it to. i really wish they would create a million different colors with this formula. it is perfection. also what's great about the grey is, to me, when i have a chapstick lip, it kind of looks like it's a color in the purple family. i remember a long time ago i bought two mac eyeshadows, one was a bold violet color, and unfortunately i looked like a streetwalker. both colors had gone back. i never got purple again. but this grey is a nice play towards it. please maybelline make more colors of these i don't wanna have to look elsewhere for colors you don't have! p.s. i gave the packaging a 4 because the parts the stickers are placed makes them look switched around. i kept opening it and the pot was facing towards the floor. and now when i set it in the right direction i see no color, just an all-black cap with an annoying label.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by aldehyde

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

If you like hard working, multi-tasking, dirt cheap beauty products then you need this. I like several colors in this collection, but Tough as Taupe is the most versatile for me. I am NW20, brunette. I can use this as an eyelid primer, or a shadow if I don't want to look too done or I'm in a hurry. I can use this one my eyebrows!! My once black thick eyebrows need filling in, and no matter how much makeup artists tell me to use brown, sable etc, those colors look too warm. This looks very natural, but not harsh like a black pencil would. I also use this as an eyeliner for a very natural, no makeup look. So yay! All I need is mascara and my eyes are done! I love this stuff. It's under $5 at Walmart. I'm not a big fan of Walmart, but just noting how inexpensive it is. This is also the only matte color in the collection as far as I know. I'm getting back-up, and back-up to back up the back-up.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No