August 1, 2014 | 961 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by SierraStormrage

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I pick out of these up yesterday after hearing so many positive reviews on it.
And i love it, it has a matte finish with is unusual, but it just works.
Made a gorgeous green smokey eye, using this as base, got some many compliments. :3
Doesn't crease, lovely color, this product is heavenly.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Suzzieraquel

I own Tough as Taupe and Bad to the Bronze. I decided to try these out as a base. These are AMAZING. Worn as a base OR alone. They do tend to dry quickly but they do give you time to ajust the color. I wear Bad to the Bronze almost everyday. Beautiful color! Just wish they had more matte colors :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by secondadonna

Pleasantly surprised by this product -- would never have tried it if it weren't for the reviews here! I've never before tried a drugstore cream-style eyeshadow that didn't crease & smudge instantly.

Tough as Taupe is a fairly deep, cool mushroomy taupe. On my hand, it's possible to blend it lightly enough to be a subtle shade, but I can't achieve that on my eyes (and I've used both fingers and a brush). It applies best with a flat, smooth eyeshadow brush I got from the Body Shop long ago. Otherwise it ends up uneven and too heavy. I like it as a base for a fairly smokey eye, or for a more everyday look, applied all over then a highlight shade all over the lid & inner corners. Because it's almost matte (sort of a satin finish) it's quite flexible day-to-night.

This is no MAC Paint: it thinks about creasing at the end of a long day. But it doesn't cause the dry crepey effect I sometimes get from Paints. It gives powder shadow something to grab onto and the lasting power is excellent for a creamy shadow.

Thinking about picking up some other colours! Assuming the formula stays the same across shades, I think some of the lighter colours could be very useful base/highlighter shades.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 5:10:00 PM More reviews by lavenderwig

maybelline color tattoo is the only eye shadow i like. i was always an eyeliner person, and any shadow i got was cheap crappy powder, with and without shimmer, and i was never happy with the way it looked, felt, or faded my eyeliner with its dust. never tried any other way, like eyeshadow sticks, but i just figured since they are chubby i wouldn't be able to put it right above my eyeliner (note--when i say eyeliner i mean a thick cat eye thing i do with the mac gel eyeliner in the pot). i didn't want to get any of the eyeliner on top the pencil tip. thus, me giving up on eyeshadows altogether. i'm not a pro with makeup colors, i'd rather conceal and apply foundation to my face to make it all one color, apply eyeliner, then apply chapstick! very basic. oh maybelline mega plush mascara also. lately been doing a dark wine color on the lip for fall. but that just happened a day ago, so i'm obsessed with this specific look right now. anyway, i tried tattoo right when it came out. i wanted to see if the color was true. to my surprise it felt amazing, it stayed on, and EVERY color looked so good somehow. even the orange and orange is never a color near me. i had a bad habit back then though and never could actually buy anything. i didn't pay today, but hey, it was already unwrapped and only tried once.. anyways, grey is my favorite "color", always has been, and i use an estee lauder blending shadow brush to apply. i use like nothing to get the look i want. will last a long time i imagine. if i have a dark lip, i like to make a bit of a smokey eye. if i'm just using chapstick i can cover the eyelid in seconds and it's bold yet blends if you want it to. i really wish they would create a million different colors with this formula. it is perfection. also what's great about the grey is, to me, when i have a chapstick lip, it kind of looks like it's a color in the purple family. i remember a long time ago i bought two mac eyeshadows, one was a bold violet color, and unfortunately i looked like a streetwalker. both colors had gone back. i never got purple again. but this grey is a nice play towards it. please maybelline make more colors of these i don't wanna have to look elsewhere for colors you don't have! p.s. i gave the packaging a 4 because the parts the stickers are placed makes them look switched around. i kept opening it and the pot was facing towards the floor. and now when i set it in the right direction i see no color, just an all-black cap with an annoying label.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by aldehyde

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

If you like hard working, multi-tasking, dirt cheap beauty products then you need this. I like several colors in this collection, but Tough as Taupe is the most versatile for me. I am NW20, brunette. I can use this as an eyelid primer, or a shadow if I don't want to look too done or I'm in a hurry. I can use this one my eyebrows!! My once black thick eyebrows need filling in, and no matter how much makeup artists tell me to use brown, sable etc, those colors look too warm. This looks very natural, but not harsh like a black pencil would. I also use this as an eyeliner for a very natural, no makeup look. So yay! All I need is mascara and my eyes are done! I love this stuff. It's under $5 at Walmart. I'm not a big fan of Walmart, but just noting how inexpensive it is. This is also the only matte color in the collection as far as I know. I'm getting back-up, and back-up to back up the back-up.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 6:14:00 AM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love using this as a base for my smokey eyes!! Whether its using gray, purple or even black eyeshadows, I love it with smoky eyes! Color is a matte medium grayish/taupe. I use my fingers to apply and then blend out with a fluffy brush. For daytime, I love wearing satin taupe over this. Gorgeous! Def would repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 8:35:00 PM More reviews by jmp24

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Interesting product/color. I only have the one, bought it to use mostly as a primer...was hoping to find the LE Barely Beige, but the only place I have seen it is ebay for $20 (no thanks!)

I thought the taupe would be lighter, and was initially disappointed when I swatched it on my hand....but after actually trying it on my eyes, I love it. It's a nice color - not warm, sort of like a cool, deep mushroom. I use my fingertip and it goes on the eyelids nice and even. I use my ring finger to dab a bit along my lower lashes, add mascara, and I am good to go. Nice matte finish, but not too overdone.

It looks great alone, but another option is to put shadow over it. Probably not every color will work, but it does add more depth to whatever you put on top. For example, Bare Minerals in "Bahama", a sheer pink shimmer, looks light pink on bare skin or nude primer - but over this tuape cream, it's a deeper, more dramatic taupey lavender shade. I have yet to experiment with many shades on top, but so far it's worked well with most of the colors I wear.

Lasts all day on me, no irritation...I can't wait to try using it as a brow filler as someone else posted. I just wish Maybelline made it in more matte neutral shades.

If anyone knows where I can find Barely Beige at a reasonable price, please let me know!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2012 9:20:00 PM More reviews by Aliciaschulz26

This was my first color tattoo I got, I have three. I like all but one. I use this as a base for any brown/neutral eye looks. It's also greattttt for eye liner on the lower lash line. Actually they all are!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by xAutumnBabyx

This product is amazing for filling in and shaping eyebrows. Sounds a bit strange, but when I apply this onto my brows it turns into the most gorgeous light Taupe color, and I have tried countless of brow powders and pencils that wouldn't suit my platinum hair, and this one did. The key to make sure is that you apply this with a light hand. I use my MAC 212 Brush to create the perfect brow, and I'm always satisfied with the colour, as well as the amazing lasting power. I set this with MAC's Omega eyeshadow, or the lightest brow powder in my NYX Eyebrow Cake Blonde quad. I am so glad I tried this for my brows, its my Holy Grail and I hope they never discontinue the Color Tattoos, because they are just lovely :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 8:35:00 PM More reviews by DKER

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My first CT, and the one I still find lasts the longest. A great neutral color to sweep all over. However, it is just a little too cool for me....I look better with a warmer eyecolor...but I wish those would stay on as well as this one!