October 30, 2014 | 1774 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Madysen08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this foundation. I was looking for something I could use instead of the Este Lauder Double Wear. I love the DW but I try really hard to use products with less crap and parabens so this was recommended to me. The color selection is great. I have fair pink undertones which I find I hard to match sometimes because a lot of foundations come out too dark and orangey. PROS- -Does NOT break me out. Which says a lot considering I have very acne prone skin and tend to fall asleep with my makeup on from time to time. (I know I'm bad). -Matches me perfectly. CONS- -If I don't prime and set my foundation it doesn't last as long as the Double Wear but that's fine and I don't mind touching up. And granted it lasts MUCH longer than most foundations. That's about it. I would definitely repurchase this. I really enjoy Tarte products.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 6:51:00 PM More reviews by babyblue59

I was disappointed by this foundation. I have wanted to try this foundation for well over a year. It seemed totally up my alley. I have oily skin with breakouts and acne scars and I need something that will hold up on my skin. I also loved that this foundation had amazonian clay which is supposed to help balance the skin. I'm coming to the conclusion that higher-end foundations are just not that impressive to me. Sure the ingredients might be better quality, but nothing even comes close to my Covergirl Stay Fabulous or Revlon Colorstay. This foundation makes me overly shiny within 4 hours. With my other foundations, they last ALL DAY. I don't look overly shiny until about 9-10 hours of wear. This foundation also settled into lines on the side of my mouth... which at 23, I wasn't even aware I had until wearing this foundation. This foundation claims to be a 12 hour foundation. I wouldn't say this foundation broke-down on my skin, got patchy or funky throughout the day (and I wore this foundation for about 12 hours), but just made me look super oily and shiney... even on areas of my face that normally do not get shiny. And when I blotted and lighly powdered my skin, it looked fine for about an hour and I was oily again.

Bottom line, save your money. This is a nice foundation, but not worth $38. For $10 you can get the Covergirl or Revlon and your makeup will look gorgeous all day. The only skin type I can really see this foundation working on is normal to slightly combo skin. If you are oily or dry, stay away.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have found my holy grail liquid foundation! I like full coverage because I have a lot of old acne scars, broken capillaries, uneven tone, etc. etc. This foundation covers all of that and leaves me with an airbrushed finish, even when I use my fingers to smear it on my face in the morning. (Sometimes I use a brush if I have meetings, works really well with brushes also). I love that it doesn't get cakey at all, I don't have to set it with powder, and it's very pigment dense without having to use a lot of product. And it's so creamy that if you wanted to mix it with moisturizer, you could. (I did this on a Saturday morning before grocery shopping in a hurry and was very pleased by the results).

I was using Jane Iredale's BB cream before this and found that in very dry winter climate it was caking up and causing dry, flaky skin. It was gross, so I tossed it. I have found a much better (and much less expensive) foundation that stands up to the elements and makes me look presentable!

For those with dry skin that are afraid to try this, buy a tube! I use this foundation on top of an oil serum and a heavy moisturizer without any issues whatsoever. It's perfect and I will continue to buy this foundation as long as it's available!

For reference, I'm a yellow NC25 and the Light Sand shade works beautifully for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Brinaxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my go to foundation when I need a full coverage flawless face. I find that this goes on extremely smooth when applied with a foundation kabuki brush and I can achieve a very nice airbrushed effect. I am currently using the sigma round kabuki and before that I used the urban decay optical blurring brush, they are very similar and both work wonderfully with the tarte foundation. I have oily/combination acne prone skin (dry patches from acne treatments) and I've never experienced any trouble with this foundation caking up, or breaking me out. I even broke the rules and would sleep in my make up from time to time and never experienced a break out from it, and trust me when I say that someone could say pimple and I would wake up with one. In my opinion it doesn't feel heavy on the skin at all, which is a huge plus for a full coverage foundation as most feel heavy on the skin. This is a great foundation, from a wonderful make up line. Worth every penny.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/28/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by superluminal123

I really wanted to love this foundation! The ingredients are great and what not but it was mostly a miss.
I apply with a damp beauty blender
Pros:
Neat packaging with a squeeze bottle
Good ingredients

Cons:
Not good for dry skin- accentuates dry patches and can look cakey
Did cause minor breakout

It does seem to melt into skin after a certain period of time though! I don't like it very much and will not be repurchasing but it works well enough where i can wear it for special occasions. I feel bad because it was quite pricey!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Samha246

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try this foundation for so long, but when I finally bought it, I was so disappointed. It did not go on smoothly and looked cakey around my acne. Though the color was the perfect match for my yellow-light skin tone, I had to return it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by Makingupmeg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I first discovered Tarte this last summer at Ulta, foundation is one of my makeup essentials. I have pretty oily skin in the summer, normal in the winter. I wanted a foundation that didn't break me out, offered great coverage and wasn't made with a bunch of chemicals--your skin absorbs anything you put on it! The sales rep that helped me pointed Tarte out to me, color-matched me to Light-Med Sand which was an exact match for the summer (Light Neutral for winter.) Since I've been using this foundation for six months I have an honest opinion about it: It's worth every penny of that $40. This makeup blends into my skin like butter, lasts all day, doesn't break me out and makes my skin look unbelievably flawless--I get compliments for once about my skin! I don't have a problem with my oil breaking through either, especially since I first purchased this in July so the summer could put it up to the test. The key to using full-coverage foundation is to layer! Don't squeeze out a huge blob, apply small amounts and layer more only where needed. I like to use my foundation brush from the Coastal Scents brush set, followed with my flat-top buffer brush to blend everything in. A little bit goes such a long way with this makeup, which pays for the price! I get the occasional breakout, but I've noticed my skin clarity has improved since using this foundation! I have finally, after countless bottles and tubes, found my holy grail foundation!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by hippychic823

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ran across almost a half a tube of this a few weeks ago when cleaning out my makeup drawers and couldn't remember why I quit wearing it (I had purchased it last winter) so, I decided to swap my usual foundation for this for a week and see how I liked it. Well, after just a few days of wearing it, I realized why I quit wearing it....IT BROKE ME OUT!!!! I had five huge cystic like pimples and had changed nothing in my usual routine other than using this foundation. And, having struggled with acne my teenage years and the better part of my 20's, now that my skin is finally clear, anything that causes me to break out in cysts is an absolute no go!!!! But, aside from it breaking me out, it just looked HORRIBLE on me. It made my skin look super dry, which is strange cause I'm typically pretty oily. And, because it made my skin look dry, it made me look like I was about 10 yrs older...it sunk into every little fine line I had, and even caused me to look like I had more fine lines and wrinkles because it would crease around my eyes and mouth and nose when I smiled or talked and it made my pores look huuuuuuuge. I mean, they're big anyways but this made me look worse than I do with no makeup on!!! As for application, this comes out of the tube with an awesome mousse like consistency which seems like it would be fairly blendable. Wrong. Application is hard. This stuff is THICK. It goes on thick, cakey and mask like. I tried using my fingers to dab and pat it on, tried buffing it in with a flat top kabuki (that was the best application method, btw), tried using a stipling brush, tried a traditional paddle foundation brush and tried a Beauty Blender...this stuff was just thick. And, despite the thickness and the cakey look it gave, the coverage was light to sheer. I get better coverage from my NARS Tinted Moisturizer. I get better coverage and better look from drugstore brands than from this. For the price and for the hype, I was highly disappointed. I would not repurchase...I would rather go bare faced than wear this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2014 11:04:00 PM More reviews by makeupenthusiast1994

When it comes to foundation, I switch yearly.
Lately I've been on the hunt for a good liquid foundation, and when I went to sephora, the SA pointed me towards tarte after I told her I have acne prone skin and wanted something that's less likely to break me out.
When she applied this on face, it went on so smoothy and felt so light afterwards-yet it gave pretty good coverage!
So far, this hasn't broken me out (I got one pimple-but thats probably due to me switching from a mineral powder to a heavier liquid), and lasts me around 6-8 hours, though I do get a bit oily in my t-zone.
Because I have acne scars and discoloration, I use topical creams and something similar to Retin-a, and this does tend to cling to drier spots IF you dont moisturize and prime PROPERLY. I moisturize and then follow w/hour glasses primer serum, and even though I have dry skin, you can't tell :) And for girls with acne scars like me, this does give more of a medium then full coverage. I apply this with my beauty blender, then conceal w/ Nars radiant creamy concealer and it covers my imperfections pretty well!

I'd suggest to girls with dry skin looking for a good foundation-try this out but beware, you do have to moisturize properly or this foundation will accentuate your dry areas.
Overall, I probably will purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by jade3399

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am on a journey of seeking a holy grail of foundation and may have found it. I have very oily skin even during the winter time. I was trying out various foundations all of which were totally wrong for my skin. The foundations that were sold were too hydrating for my skin and were mostly for dry skin. Within an hour of application my face would be so oily I would have to constantly blot and by the end of the day, I had no foundation left. Very frustrating. I found someone at Ulta that wasn't just in a hurry to sell something but took the time to explain the difference. Foundations with illuminating effects, etc., were totally wrong for my skin type. I am not just oily in t-zone, I am oily all over. She suggested Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation. OMG, it works. Beautiful full coverage that lasts all day. My oily skin is kept at bay. The trick is to apply it with a foundation brush. The Sigma foundation brush is what I use. You don't even need a setting powder. I still do use the IT cosmetics high definition pores powder and am totally in love with my skin again. The finish is flawless, oil is kept at bay, and looks beautiful! Its been a long journey. I still have to blot but at least five - six hours later. I definitely suggest this product. I may have finally found my holy grail.