April 18, 2014 | 1961 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Laoshu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sigh. How I wanted to love this. I had come from using a foundation that didn't seem to last very long nor cover up as much as I wanted (I have redness around my nose and cheeks, large pores, acne and acne scars), so once I heard about this foundation I was interested immediately. I put some on my redness in the store and it seemed to cover up almost all of it immediately. I also left a swatch on my hand, which lasted all the way into the next day and took some serious scrubbing to get off. This plus the SPF element made me purchase it.

I applied it with my Sigma F80 and dusted lightly over it with mineral powder. It looked good for the first few hours of the day, but five hours into the first day and it's already caked like a mess - and I don't have dry skin. My acne looked redder and angrier than it did before I put on makeup that morning. My redness had seeped through, and it looked more irritated than it did before I had the foundation on. My pores had suddenly become super obvious. I continued to use it for a couple of weeks because I'd spent $40 on it already and had little money to buy new foundation with. But my experience stayed the same. Skin irritated like nobody's business. The acne I already had doubled. Finally I gave up. I bought Revlon ColorStay in a moment of broke desperation and so far I've been liking it.

Bottom line: did provide good coverage in the morning, but descended into a cakey mess soon after and accentuated all my flaws. Aggravated my acne. I should have checked to see if it was non-comedogenic, which it most certainly is not! I can see this working for someone else but it did not work for me.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2013 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Btheodore138

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this foundation for about a week and I've really been liking it so far. I needed something to cover up the broken capillaries around my nose, a few acne scars, and general redness and it does remarkably well. The first time I used it with a brush, I wasn't a fan. It just seemed to sit on top of my skin. When I used my fingers, though, it blended beautifully and the color Ivory matched my NW 10-15 skin PERFECT. I find that sweeping a luminous powder (like BareMinerals) on top makes it look that much better. I have dry skin but moisturize every night and exfoliate so it looks great on me, but if you have any sort of patchiness/flakiness it will stand out so be warned. Lastly, it doesn't last 12 hours, more like 6 now that it's summer time. We'll see if it holds longer during the winter. I'll will be buying it again until I run across something better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2013 7:22:00 PM More reviews by NatalieJ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I was faithful to Bobbi Brown's foundation for over ten years, but with the recent changes in the line, had to look for something else I tried a lot of other foundations, and this almost made the cut. What I love best about BB is the color, and while I love the coverage and finish of this foundation, I can't get a good color match. I tried all three light-medium shades and none worked well. I thought I had a winner in light-medium sand because it was yellow toned, but it drained every bit of color out of my face. It does apply like a dream, and is fuller coverage than my previous foundation, and slower to have shine breakthrough. Ended up switching to Revlon Colorstay, which is magical stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by itakethissrsly

This is a pretty good foundation depending on what you're looking for, and an excellent value. I was looking for a product to replace Makeup Forever Matte + Velvet because Ulta doesn't carry Makeup Forever, and Sephora is inconvenient for me to get to.

The Amazonian Clay didn't exactly do the trick, but it has a lot going for it in its own right, The texture of this is really nice and creamy. There are a ton of shades, and it does seem to stay on for 12 hours. The finish, while definitely matte, isn't as dull looking as the MUFE. And the packaging is muccch better (despite the unnecessary wooden cap; this is make up not hot sauce.) I can also get away without using a primer with this, whereas the matte + velvet tended to settle into my pores a bit and sometimes get shiny if I didn't prime.

My problem is that this foundation is not full coverage. Compared to Matte + Velvet, it's not even buildable to full coverage. I have some purplish scaring on my chin, medium to bad under eye circles, and a bit of redness around my nose; and I cannot get away without concealer using this foundation whereas it wasn't entirely necessary with Matte + Velvet. Also, although they have many to choose from I never feel like I can get the shade quite right with this.

Overall, I would recommend this, but be aware that it's medium coverage at best and not very buildable.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2013 1:12:00 PM More reviews by Aliyourpally

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know what I was thinking. Yesterday, I was in Sephora with a gift card and I bought this without reading any reviews. I was excited to try this, so today I put it on. I tried with my fingers and a sponge, but no matter what it just looked cakey and ugly. It made the dryness on my face so noticeable, and didn't cover my acne at all. I couldn't even wear it, I had to take it off within a minute because it looked so bad. I'm returning this.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Katejang81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this product at Sephora. It was just ok. Nothing that would tear me away from my Revlon Colorstay or Colorstay Whipped. It is a good foundation. It didn't oxidize on me. It covered well. Didn't feel heavy. Just didn't wow me enough.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/15/2013 9:36:00 PM More reviews by x3rjessikers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this foundation from a set on QVC. I got it in medium and it matches my skin fairly well. for reference I am nc30. It is a tad light in the summer though. It claims to be a full coverage, light weight foundation. The formula itself is like a mousse like texture, kind of fluffy.However the problem comes when I apply it on my face. It doesn't feel light weight. I can definitely feel it. I can see it as well. When I use it with the airbrush finish bamboo brush, it looks terrible. The foundation sits on top of my skin and never really sinks in. It gives it a semi matte finish but it doesn't look natural at all. I tried buffing it into my skin even after exfoliation and foundation still doesn't look right or natural. When set with a powder, it looks too powdery. Also, if I were to use my phone, the foundation definitely transfers. After a while, I can see the foundation breaking down once mixed with the oils on my face as I go about my day. You get a hefty amount of product in the tube and it seems like I'll never be able to finish it. In order to actually use the foundation, I have to mix with another foundation to get it look better. Whats the point of using two different foundations when one should be enough? I won't be repurchasing this product once I run out of it. Oh, when I use this foundation by itself all over my face, I notice I start breaking out a little. But when I use a smaller amount and mix with another foundation, my skin doesn't seem to have any issues. Overall, I'm not impressed with the foundation. It looks very cakey. And I will not be repurchasing it once I run out, if I ever run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2013 3:55:00 AM More reviews by reneasnoke21

I am so disappointed. I got this makeup on a deal with QVC but I'm still mad that now I have a whole other tube I won't be using. This definitely does what it says, it's full coverage. But no way, what so ever, is it 12 hour stay or even two hours. It runs off so easily!!!!' I mean I have oily skin so maybe that's the issue here but seriously my drugstore makeup that wasn't suppose to be long lasting lasted longer than this. I've used a couple different primers and two different powers, nothing helps. So if you have oily skin like me, this might not be the one for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by lisainorlando

I decided to give this foundation a try after running out of my Clinique. I needed a full coverage, long lasted foundation and the girl at Ulta recommended this one. In the store it looked pretty good, but when I got home I could tell that it didn't cover my redness good at all and even sunk into my pores, making them more noticeable. Needless to say, I was disappointed and ended up returning the product.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by BrendaDavis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really excited to try this foundation so I finally bought it, and I was really disappoint , it looks good at first but voter an hour my face is a big oily mess and that's with me setting it with a powder , and also I feel that when I wear this foundation my face gets irritated and it makes me break out , I'm really disappointed and I will not be purchasing this foundation again.