July 30, 2014 | 2026 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Usra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'll avoid a verbose reiteration of what others have already said, but will offer the following confirmations:

1. The formula is dry this is has its pros and cons. It keeps a curl and allows you to build a doll-like, almost purposely clumped application, but you need to work quickly to get your mascara looking the way you want before it dries and veers from doll-like to downright clumpy. Touch-ups are almost impossible.

2. It smells. A lot. It's a powdery, cloying scent that takes a long time to fade away. I feel like I have 90s-era Teen Spirit deodorant on my face.

3. Blackest Black is quite black, especially for a matte finish. It lacks dimension, though.

Now for the point that I thought may be worthwhile to someone out there, lamenting the loss of an old favourite...

I started wearing Cover Girl Lash Blast when my HG, Maybelline Lash Expansion, was discontinued. I've had to develop several workarounds to get it to approximate the finish I prefer (the most important of which is having two tubes running at all times, one dry for curl-holding and volume-building, and a newer one for building length after my first two mini coats have fully set). Falsies Flared does away with all of the machinations straight out of the tube.

That said, I'm not sure I'll make the switch.

Most mascaras that are great the day you open them start to get problematic about 3 weeks after opening and I've gotten used to the Lash Blast formula and brush (which gave me a LOT of problems when I first started using the product). That said, if you've been searching in vain for a replacement for Lash Expansion and you hate rubber wands this is it, people. You get length and volume in a dry formula, with a traditional bristle wand. If you don't like the spoon shape, just flip it around; if it dries out on you, just run the tube under hot water or set it next to your straightener/curler while you do the rest of your makeup. You're not going to find anything closer to Lash Expansion out there. Trust me I've looked.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2012 1:26:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd been using the original Maybelline Falsies since it came out (off and on along with several other mascaras, like my beloved Jordana for example ;D) and I recently received a $1 Maybelline Mascara coupon so I decided it was time to repurchase and when I got to the drugstore I saw this Falsies Flared and remembered reading some positive reccomendations for this version on the makeup board so it's the one I went with, and to be honest, I didn't expect to see much of a difference. Usually when Maybelline (drugstore companies in general)do different mascaras in the same line they tend to be very similiar but this is indeed quite different from the original falsies, and I do like both but for different reasons.
I think that this mascara is exceptional with legnthening, one coat really surprised me on the legnthening! (Would I call it a "falsies flared" look? -No, but I don't expect anything to make my lashes look the way the models' look in their commercials Lol ;D) And it's definately less clumpy than the original falsies (I really had to work with the original one to get application just right) but it's also not as volumizing as the original which is probably my only little let-down with this mascara.
My natural lashes are average legnth (not va va voom long, not stubs either) but they're very very thin so volume is definately one thing I'm always looking for in a mascara, so I wish it didn't take 3 coats to get my desired volume, although it *is* possible for me with 3 coats, or if I pair it with a another mascara, one that is more volumizing (original Falsies, Jordana best Lash Extreme, L'oreal Carbon Black Voluminious, for example.)
I've read that some don't care for false fiber mascaras because you can get fibers falling on your face all day long, but I'm quite pleased that I haven't had this issue (yet) with a false fiber mascara -Not this Falsies Flared or the original, so that is something you'll not need to worry about with this :)
I do notice an odd smell though...? Not a terrible smell (it's actually a pleasant scent) but it's odd because I've never had a mascara have such a smell before Lol -I've only read two other reviews here on this mascara, Im going to need to read some more and see if this smell I notice is common or not? I already threw away my packaging so I'm unable to check and see if this contains "fragrance", but if it does, and you are sensitive to fragrances around your eyes this *may* not be for you :( Luckily I have pretty tough eyes that are not sensitive to too many things so the smell isn't an issue and I only notice it during application, once the brush is back in the tube it's completely gone.
Overall I do like this and will certainly continue to use, &definately don't plan on returning it or anything like that, but it's a little too natural for me for the look I like to achieve on a daily basis - I really love a false lash look all of the time, and if there is a need for me to have a natural lash look for one occassion or another then I tend to reach for Maybelline's Full n Soft so I don't see myself repurchasing this version although I probably will repurchase the original falsies in 3-4 months because I feel like it definately made my lashes more voluminious, even if I did have to work with it a little to get rid of any clumpies.
If legnth is what you're looking for, this is definately the mascara for you :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Mikirulez

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my favourite mascara of all time! I don't know how they do it, but Maybelline has managed to make three mascaras that I love (falsies flared, great big lash, fiber extensions)! This ACTUALLY does what it says, and makes my naturally thick-but-short lashes long and full and gorgeous! I stopped wearing so much eyeliner cause it opens my eyes so well! Lasts all day even though it isn't waterproof!

However, I only like the falsies FLARED. The other falsies with the spoon brush clump easily and don't do the job right! SO if you decide to buy this awesome product, be sure it is the flared because it is the one I swear by!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by melllm

I love this for an everyday look. Lengthens and volumizes. Doesn't clump either! I apply two coats and it looks great. Very quick and easy to use doesn't require using a lash curler. I have tried many high end mascaras and this works just as well and for much cheaper. I don't particularly like how the brush bends but it's not that big of a deal. Will repurchase when i finish.
edit: had to reduce my overall rating because while I do like how this initially makes my lashes look, I've noticed that only a few hours into wear time it starts getting really dry and flaky and by the end of the day my lashes are a mess. Would only repurchase if I didn't have anything better on hand.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2012 6:14:00 AM More reviews by KarmaEls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

cant live without this, perfect for everyday, love love love this, big fan of Maybelline. With a cheap price, should spend money for this:)))))))

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by MadisonBryan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have no clue how this mascara has so many terrible reviews! I am a mascara junkie and am always searching for the perfect mix of length, volume, and separation. This mascara is comparable to one of my all time favorites: Lancome Lash Definicils. If you are a fan of that, try this. This mascara does, however, give far more volume than my Lancome ever did. I am loving this mascara and find that it lasts all day.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/26/2012 10:46:00 PM More reviews by vanillaoceans

This mascara isn't one of my all time favourites but it does do it's job and stays on throughout the day. However i do think it is a bit dry and flaky compared to other mascara's, but i wouldn't go back and buy another bottle.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by katiekat602

Ok so I don't like this formula because it dries too fast, flakes really easily and doesn't seem to actually improve length of lashes. It doesn't clump very much but it does a little and the brush is really hard to use. Not really worth the seven bucks you pay for it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/24/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by kyerabee

I tried Maybelline's Falsies last year but didn't like the formulation. Gave it another shot this year by trying out Falsies Flared and I still don't like it. Formula dries too fast, flakes by mid-day, and the wand is tricky to use.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2012 1:02:00 AM More reviews by VIPnolza

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So many flakes. Its also hard for me to add another layer because of all the flakes. They get in my eye and its Burns ALOT! this didn't happen with my classic volume express. This also clumps a lot. My lashes are already naturally curly and its difficult to apply mascara. The bush does a good job at making application s bit easier. But the burning sensation i got from this was just too irritating. I also don't like how the bush applies top much product. I have to wipe off alot of the side but i feel like it just makes the mascara dry faster. Its really sad because i like how my lashes look with this....