November 23, 2014 | 1579 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Falsies Flared

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by dbmiller

Fantastic. I want volume and this creates it with just one coat, but I always apply more! No smudging, no flaking. Great mascara.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2012 12:57:00 AM More reviews by emgb

I am forever loyal to the original, waterproof Falsies mascara but I grabbed this flared crud by mistake (they need to stop with the endless Falsies variations, just looking at the Maybelline mascara section makes you dizzy enough as it is). I don't know why these companies when they strike gold with a product feel like they have to make spinoff versions of it that are awful. I guess anything to make a buck! For me, this one is junk. It is really watery and just gives me really inky, unnatural looking spider lashes when I want full lashes and volume. I don't know if there is any big difference with the brush but the formula is just bad. Not worth trying IMO and would always recommend the original one first.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by sgrayz

this mascara is awful!!! i got it because i was just giving a cheapie a go. its rubbish. i have short straight and thin lashes. this made my lashes stick together and super clumpy. didnt curl or add much volume at all. back to dior show, bobbi brown and YSL i go

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Kiwwigirl101

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pros:
-Lengthens
-seperates (no clumps)
-adds volume
-Great brush (curved, flexible, Lots of thick bristles that seperate)

Cons-
-Sometimes you get excess product of the wand
-a little fallout

This is so far my favorite, go to mascara. It gives a little but of drama but not alot soo... it doesnt quite give a false lash effect.
I am on my second tube only because i had the other one so long i was worried about bacteria. (It lasts quite a long time)
Its a great everyay mascara, makeing your lashes look naturally fabulous!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2012 3:57:00 PM More reviews by SleepyLabRat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Not the absolute worst mascara I've ever used, but I won't repurchase and I probably won't even finish off the tube I do have. It does deliver on the false-lash look and it does allow for some impressive "flare", but, unfortunately, I think in order to get the level of hold needed for the flaring, the formula has to be kind of stiff and it flakes like crazy. Boo.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Usra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'll avoid a verbose reiteration of what others have already said, but will offer the following confirmations:

1. The formula is dry this is has its pros and cons. It keeps a curl and allows you to build a doll-like, almost purposely clumped application, but you need to work quickly to get your mascara looking the way you want before it dries and veers from doll-like to downright clumpy. Touch-ups are almost impossible.

2. It smells. A lot. It's a powdery, cloying scent that takes a long time to fade away. I feel like I have 90s-era Teen Spirit deodorant on my face.

3. Blackest Black is quite black, especially for a matte finish. It lacks dimension, though.

Now for the point that I thought may be worthwhile to someone out there, lamenting the loss of an old favourite...

I started wearing Cover Girl Lash Blast when my HG, Maybelline Lash Expansion, was discontinued. I've had to develop several workarounds to get it to approximate the finish I prefer (the most important of which is having two tubes running at all times, one dry for curl-holding and volume-building, and a newer one for building length after my first two mini coats have fully set). Falsies Flared does away with all of the machinations straight out of the tube.

That said, I'm not sure I'll make the switch.

Most mascaras that are great the day you open them start to get problematic about 3 weeks after opening and I've gotten used to the Lash Blast formula and brush (which gave me a LOT of problems when I first started using the product). That said, if you've been searching in vain for a replacement for Lash Expansion and you hate rubber wands this is it, people. You get length and volume in a dry formula, with a traditional bristle wand. If you don't like the spoon shape, just flip it around; if it dries out on you, just run the tube under hot water or set it next to your straightener/curler while you do the rest of your makeup. You're not going to find anything closer to Lash Expansion out there. Trust me I've looked.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2012 1:26:00 AM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd been using the original Maybelline Falsies since it came out (off and on along with several other mascaras, like my beloved Jordana for example ;D) and I recently received a $1 Maybelline Mascara coupon so I decided it was time to repurchase and when I got to the drugstore I saw this Falsies Flared and remembered reading some positive reccomendations for this version on the makeup board so it's the one I went with, and to be honest, I didn't expect to see much of a difference. Usually when Maybelline (drugstore companies in general)do different mascaras in the same line they tend to be very similiar but this is indeed quite different from the original falsies, and I do like both but for different reasons.
I think that this mascara is exceptional with legnthening, one coat really surprised me on the legnthening! (Would I call it a "falsies flared" look? -No, but I don't expect anything to make my lashes look the way the models' look in their commercials Lol ;D) And it's definately less clumpy than the original falsies (I really had to work with the original one to get application just right) but it's also not as volumizing as the original which is probably my only little let-down with this mascara.
My natural lashes are average legnth (not va va voom long, not stubs either) but they're very very thin so volume is definately one thing I'm always looking for in a mascara, so I wish it didn't take 3 coats to get my desired volume, although it *is* possible for me with 3 coats, or if I pair it with a another mascara, one that is more volumizing (original Falsies, Jordana best Lash Extreme, L'oreal Carbon Black Voluminious, for example.)
I've read that some don't care for false fiber mascaras because you can get fibers falling on your face all day long, but I'm quite pleased that I haven't had this issue (yet) with a false fiber mascara -Not this Falsies Flared or the original, so that is something you'll not need to worry about with this :)
I do notice an odd smell though...? Not a terrible smell (it's actually a pleasant scent) but it's odd because I've never had a mascara have such a smell before Lol -I've only read two other reviews here on this mascara, Im going to need to read some more and see if this smell I notice is common or not? I already threw away my packaging so I'm unable to check and see if this contains "fragrance", but if it does, and you are sensitive to fragrances around your eyes this *may* not be for you :( Luckily I have pretty tough eyes that are not sensitive to too many things so the smell isn't an issue and I only notice it during application, once the brush is back in the tube it's completely gone.
Overall I do like this and will certainly continue to use, &definately don't plan on returning it or anything like that, but it's a little too natural for me for the look I like to achieve on a daily basis - I really love a false lash look all of the time, and if there is a need for me to have a natural lash look for one occassion or another then I tend to reach for Maybelline's Full n Soft so I don't see myself repurchasing this version although I probably will repurchase the original falsies in 3-4 months because I feel like it definately made my lashes more voluminious, even if I did have to work with it a little to get rid of any clumpies.
If legnth is what you're looking for, this is definately the mascara for you :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Mikirulez

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my favourite mascara of all time! I don't know how they do it, but Maybelline has managed to make three mascaras that I love (falsies flared, great big lash, fiber extensions)! This ACTUALLY does what it says, and makes my naturally thick-but-short lashes long and full and gorgeous! I stopped wearing so much eyeliner cause it opens my eyes so well! Lasts all day even though it isn't waterproof!

However, I only like the falsies FLARED. The other falsies with the spoon brush clump easily and don't do the job right! SO if you decide to buy this awesome product, be sure it is the flared because it is the one I swear by!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by melllm

I love this for an everyday look. Lengthens and volumizes. Doesn't clump either! I apply two coats and it looks great. Very quick and easy to use doesn't require using a lash curler. I have tried many high end mascaras and this works just as well and for much cheaper. I don't particularly like how the brush bends but it's not that big of a deal. Will repurchase when i finish.
edit: had to reduce my overall rating because while I do like how this initially makes my lashes look, I've noticed that only a few hours into wear time it starts getting really dry and flaky and by the end of the day my lashes are a mess. Would only repurchase if I didn't have anything better on hand.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2012 6:14:00 AM More reviews by KarmaEls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

cant live without this, perfect for everyday, love love love this, big fan of Maybelline. With a cheap price, should spend money for this:)))))))