Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Despite a terrible impression of mineral makeup [cough cough BE], this is wonderful and blows everything out of the water! Because my skin is dry AND dehydrated [mostly dehydrated, less dry than it used to be; doesn't flake but does catch all powder, and thanks to acne clogged pores and mother nature, has a very uneven texture, all further accentuated no matter WHAT I put on my face]. I believe the best method for application is the following:

moisturize. conceal spots/blemishes with a small brush. apply THIN layer by stippling and blending. ta da! Like any other powder, this looks cakey when overdone - and being a heavy foundation, it is very easy to overdo.

I'm South Asian and a fair-medium-ish olive toned, and seem to switch between warm and cool undertones. I match well to MUFE HD 120 and MUFE face and body 20. I am closest to the LM shade Creamy Olive. Because it's so highly pigmented, a little does go a long way - as long as you're buffing and blending.

Edit May 17 2012: I wanted to share one thing today that really stunned me. I put the two fdtn shades on my hand to try and compare in different lightings [I have gotten many, many, MANYYY applications out of these tiny sample jars ...count me impressed]. For all that these look like matte powders with a soft, satin skinfinish; for all that they look matte in the jar, matte on the skin, matte in artificial lighting, matte in direct natural lighting [no sun] ...the moment you take it out in direct sunlight, GLITTER OVERLOAD!! Where on earth did it come from?! I never saw it before! I mean, it's microfine but there is PLENTY of it; it's not chunky, but I am stunned at how I never saw it before. I literally only see it in DIRECT sunlight. Outside in the "shade" or inside in direct bright lighting by the window, it looks matte again with nary a hint of sparkle. What a bizarre surprise.

EDIT July 5, 2012
During a BOGO sale, I ordered two foundations, a finishing powder and a brush [finally! I had been waiting to justify a purchase, and this was the perfect excuse]. I accidentally received an incorrect shade, and Annie immediately emailed me back to let me know she would send the correct one and I could keep the other. Absolutely wonderful customer service! That alone, nevermind the wonderful pricing, quality product, and constant deals/freebies, is enough to keep me buying. I truly think she deserves to market this as a high end product [which it is] commercially. It is worth several times its price [but my idea of 'worth' might be skewed by artificially inflated goods lol]. This should definitely be in Sephora with its own display and a cute little placard telling its story.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My very sensitive skin doesn't like this foundation - I have tried it at several occasions (about 10 times) and every time I wore it fore more than one day, I got giant cystic pimples. Last time I tried it, I had nearly perfect skin, and now I have to get rid of hyperpigmentation again... And normally, I don't get cystic pimples. This foundation gave me such a bad pimple, that an area of about an inch in diameter was affected, and now I have a scar...
I bought this when I was NC20 in MAC. I have an olive undertone, so the MAC's foundation was a bit too orange for me. The colour I got was Creamy Olive, which suited me PERFECTLY. I have NEVER come across any foundations that has such a good range of undertones! This oxidises a bit during the day though, which I don't like...it seems to get a bit more orange.
At the time I bought this, I had combination normal-oily skin (which later became dry because of Chanel's Vitalumiere Aqua), s I have tried this ut on several skin types, you can say. I really don't like the finish of the foundation: it's almost... metallic while still being matte. My oils break through the foundation within an hour. One thing that really annoyed me was that, like all mineral foundations, I believe, this too accentuated pores. My pores are actually small and I almost never get blackheads, but this foundation made me look like I had big pores.
Next thing: I don't like the feel of this mineral makeup - I actually can feel it on my face better than liquids. Although everyone says minerals let your skin breathe and everything, I feel hot and sweaty under it... I have dry skin and minerals sometimes make my oily - can't be good. Even if I applied with a fluffy brush and only put on a little, it still had this effect.
Good thing: this is excellent at covering redness, so this is very good for people that don't have problems with zits or scars, but mainly redness - for people that usually like to use powders to even out their skin tone and hide their redness, this will be excellent, as long as you are NOT sensitive.
As all powders, this too transfers. It is especially nasty when I get a little oily - it then begins to feel like clay on my face.
So, would I recommend? I feel that if the texture of your skin is uneven, this may not be a good idea. If you have hyperpigmentation, this will probably be good. If you have a pretty even skin tone, but your problem is redness, go ahead and try this. If you have oily skin, try the powder-foundation for oily skin, because your oils are going to make this one circle your pores quite fast. I wouldn't recommend this if you want a lot of coverage - it's possible to cover almost anything with it, but I think this then becomes a bit too obvious and you may feel hot under it. Do NOT BUY if you have sensitive skin!!!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Firstly, I live in the UK & was told it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive & it only took 6 days!:)
I have the oil control OCC version & can say it is one the best foundations I have ever tried as it doesnt accentuate my pores, break me out or look cakey! It has good lasting power, coverage and colour also. I managed to find my perfect shade through purchasing 2 samples at $2 each. I will probably continue to use this foundation over my current revlon colorstay foundation

I love this foundation! I am 31 years old, and ever since I started wearing makeup I have always used drugstore bands. For the last 7 years or so I have used Neutrogena healthy skin enhancer as my foundation & physicians formula pressed powder. I liked this combo because it was light on my skin & offered good sun protection. However, I have suffered from acne & oily skin since I was 13yrs old. The only time my face has been clear was when I went thru a course of accutane, it cleared me up for about a year. My derm recommended a 2nd course, which I wasn't ready to do. So after 18 years of having derms telling me that which makeup I used didn't really matter, I FINALLY decided to do some research about makeup & its effect on oily acne prone skin. My skin is quite sensitive also. Sooo, long story short I found makeup alley & decided that mineral makeup might be the way to go. I found Lucy Minerals and was really impressed with the formulation of the "Lucy Light" foundation. It has very few ingredients, which I figured would be great for my reactive skin. But what sold me on trying is that you can order little try it sizes for $2. I loved this! I was able to order a bunch of different shades so I knew exactly which shade to order in the full size. Also, they are affordable, another big bonus for me. I then order their ambrosia serum & loved that too, but that's a whole different review:-) now I should mention that Lucy Minerals is my first venture into the world of mineral makeup, so I'm not exactly impartial. But this makeup is awesome! It covers way better than my old makeup and feels amazing on my skin. The application takes some practice, and you really, really, REALLY only need a very tiny amount. It goes a looong way! But once I realized how little I needed, it was no problem to get it to look great. I've never used makeup like this and it only took me two times to get the hang of it. So don't be intimidated, its not that hard. You will probably need a darker shade than you might think. Also I use the finishing powder 1st and last, this seems to cut down on the shiny. If you use a damp concealer brush and a little foundation it makes an outstanding concealer. It also seems to last most the day. I will absolutley keep using this make up and I highly recommend it. The price is reasonable too considering how long it lasts you, because again you only need TINY amount for excellent coverage. As a side note, after 18 years of constant, chronic acne, my face is covered in new blemishs & lots of old scars. This makeup makes me look nearly flawless. I love, love, love Lucy Minerals! Oh yeah, they always give you free gifts when you order too! What a great company!

I really wanted to like this makeup. I was looking for an alternative to BE. I have oily skin and acne prone. I have gotten my skin to be semi okay with BE, besides the monthly hormonal breakouts. Before I tried this makeup my face was pretty clear, just had some pesky blackheads and some small bumps. After 2 weeks of using Lucy my skin started breaking out in bad cystic acne and white heads. It started to spread out along my jaw and starting getting acne on the corner of my forehead (which never has happened to me before) I have never had acne this bad. I had to make a dermatologist appointment. I am thinking one of the ingredients just didn't agree with me. I am not saying this will happen to you... Most of the reviews for Lucy's is awesome. It does cover wonderfully and looks good on your skin. I just happen to have very sensitive skin. Bottom line is you never know till you give it a try. Good luck. I have yet to find a great foundation for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm soo disappointed that this foundation didn't work for me. I have oily, acne-prone, and recently sensitive skin and wanted to find a mineral makeup that worked. I ordered a bunch of samples in all different colors, and none of them matched my skin. I tried mixing them together in every combination, still no match. They all have such a pink undertone, that I looked like I just put a light blush all over my face. It also has poor coverage, it didn't cover my acne scars at all, and concealer looked very caked under it. On top of all that, it didn't blend in..it just sat on top of my skin and was obvious I was wearing powder. Despite the color, it did not look natural on me. Unless you have a pinkish undertone and clear even skin, I would not recommend it. This was one of the worst I've tried, nothing good about it =/

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Gah! I wish i didn't have to write a negative review for this product! The people over at Lucy Minerals are so lovely and their shipping and delivery was fast and problem free too (and each product was also wrapped in blue tissue paper which i thought was a cute touch). But, in terms of my own experience, this foundation did not work for me. This was my first hopeful venture into mineral foundations and while it did provide more coverage than a usual one would, it wasn't enough for me. I tried playing with it a bit and letting it sit before applying another thin layer but it still didn't work for me. Maybe when my skin is less pitted and acne scarred, this would work better! Rather than letting it go to waste however, i will use this on more casual days where a full face of makeup is not needed :)

EDIT!!!
It turns out that my above review was too hasty. IT DOES WORK! I realise this now that i've changed my day time moisteriser to an avene creme/gel treatment thing. The avene is less oily than my other skin care products and makes for a nice base for this foundation. I use 2 thin layers (let it sit between layers then let it sink in for another 30 mins before you go out - the coverage gets better over time!), apply blush, then the Lucy Minerals finishing powder on top. This foundation has natural sunscreen in it so i don't need to put extra underneath when i'm wearing it (though in summer, i might anyway just to be safe)!

For reference, i'm quite yellow based (Asian skin!) and medium fair now that it's approaching summer (Bourjois healthy mix 53, about NC 23ish in MAC). For Lucy Minerals, i use 3/4 Creamy Bisque and 1/4 Creamy Olive (They are so lovely they actually do custom mixes for you, free of charge!)

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this foundation, I have tried all the formulas and find that I like the Oil Control and the Light, for different purposes.

There is a learning curve to successfully using this foundation. It is different from other mineral foundations I have used. When I first tapped some of the product out of the jar, I thought it would be too dark. However What I have found, is that this product needs time to warm into the skin. For that reason, having enough time to go through proper application is essential. One of the few cons with this product, is that if you only have time for a 5-10 minute face routine, it may not be right for those days.

My typical routine:

1. I apply a primer all over my face.
2. I tap out a small amount and then stipple all over my face, using a flat top brush.
3. After stippling I wait about 5-10 minutes for the product to warm into my skin.
4. I then either spot conceal or add an light second layer.
5. I go over my face with the flat top to buff and blend.
6. I normally set with powder.

In terms of the formulas I wear the Oil Control with Silica, most of the time. As the seasons change I may try the Oil Control with Calcium Carbonate again. I like both, but the one with Silica, seemed to need fewer touch ups. I also liked the light formula, and may use that one in the summer. I took a sample size of it on vacation, and it held up quite well in the hot weather.

I carry this with me for touch ups. For some reason this just doesn't work on me as my primary foundation; no matter how much I exfoliate, moisturize and then moisturize with different kinds of moisturizers, this just does not sit right, it looks cakey (even with a very light touch). However, after a few hours, once my natural oils are out in full force this works perfectly. It looks natural and has great coverage. Will continue to repurchase. For reference, I am NC10/15 and wear Light, it matches perfectly.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Lucy Minerals is a small mineral company out of Winter Haven, FL (which is beautiful, by the way. Floridian digression over and out.) I've used their products for quite a while and am really happy with the foundation on the whole.

THE GOOD: There is a LOT to like. The customer service from Annie and co. is stellar. There are frequent sales and custom kits, but even the list prices are far from exorbitant.
As for the foundation, which I have in the original formula, it's super thick and creamy and can be quite opaque, which is rare for mineral foundations. It has a host of good-for-you ingredients, but if you're sensitive and prefer a foundation with a smaller, simpler product list, Lucy Minerals has that, too. Lucy also offers two different kinds of oil-control foundation.
There are also inexpensive, generous samples so you can test and see which formula works best for you.
There is a decent shade range, but I didn't find a shade match for my super pale skin... so the good people at Lucy Minerals blended one for me. It has my name on the sticker--how cute! They will blend in increments of 25% at no extra charge. There's a rotating sifter.

THE BAD: There's precious little "bad" about this foundation, but be aware that it has massive amounts of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These add to the creamy feel and the opaque coverage, but they may not behave in flash photography. The website claims that you don't feel the foundation once it's on... I do. It's not a terrible feeling; it's just soft and not super thin either.
I will also say that there is a learning curve. Annie is not kidding when she says to only use a little bit. It doesn't take much to look like you're wearing a cakey mask. I'd start out using less than you think you need. In my experience, it doesn't really layer well... but then the coverage is so good that layering is pointless. I apply my Lucy in one of two ways:

1. I dip a kabuki in the lid and pick up just a bit of powder. Then I tap the handle of the kabuki on my vanity so the powder sifts into the brush fibers. It should be near invisible on the surface of the brush. Then I gently apply it in circular motions. This is for general coverage when my skin is pretty good.

2. If I need more precise, heavier coverage on certain areas, I dip a concealer brush in the foundation and spot-apply it on any blemishes or discoloration. Then I blend that foundation out from around that area onto the rest of my face. If I can still see the blemishes, I go back over with a teeny concealer brush. In my experience, it is not necessary to apply more foundation than that... I have enough on my face from applying on and around the blemish area and blending outwards.

Another learning-curve thing to be aware of is that the foundations go on lighter than they appear in the jar. BUT WAIT! Then they get a little darker than that (and the coverage appears more natural) once they've been on your face for ten minutes. So, you can't really go by how the foundation looks in the jar or by how it looks when initially swatched. It's a little confusing.

BOTTOM LINE: If you have the patience to master the learning curve, and appreciate mineral makeup with a thick, creamy feel... you may well appreciate this foundation, as I do.