Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

on 1/15/2012 10:10:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this foundation, I have tried all the formulas and find that I like the Oil Control and the Light, for different purposes.

There is a learning curve to successfully using this foundation. It is different from other mineral foundations I have used. When I first tapped some of the product out of the jar, I thought it would be too dark. However What I have found, is that this product needs time to warm into the skin. For that reason, having enough time to go through proper application is essential. One of the few cons with this product, is that if you only have time for a 5-10 minute face routine, it may not be right for those days.

My typical routine:

1. I apply a primer all over my face.
2. I tap out a small amount and then stipple all over my face, using a flat top brush.
3. After stippling I wait about 5-10 minutes for the product to warm into my skin.
4. I then either spot conceal or add an light second layer.
5. I go over my face with the flat top to buff and blend.
6. I normally set with powder.

In terms of the formulas I wear the Oil Control with Silica, most of the time. As the seasons change I may try the Oil Control with Calcium Carbonate again. I like both, but the one with Silica, seemed to need fewer touch ups. I also liked the light formula, and may use that one in the summer. I took a sample size of it on vacation, and it held up quite well in the hot weather.

on 1/14/2012 8:41:00 AM

I carry this with me for touch ups. For some reason this just doesn't work on me as my primary foundation; no matter how much I exfoliate, moisturize and then moisturize with different kinds of moisturizers, this just does not sit right, it looks cakey (even with a very light touch). However, after a few hours, once my natural oils are out in full force this works perfectly. It looks natural and has great coverage. Will continue to repurchase. For reference, I am NC10/15 and wear Light, it matches perfectly.

on 1/1/2012 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Lucy Minerals is a small mineral company out of Winter Haven, FL (which is beautiful, by the way. Floridian digression over and out.) I've used their products for quite a while and am really happy with the foundation on the whole.

THE GOOD: There is a LOT to like. The customer service from Annie and co. is stellar. There are frequent sales and custom kits, but even the list prices are far from exorbitant.
As for the foundation, which I have in the original formula, it's super thick and creamy and can be quite opaque, which is rare for mineral foundations. It has a host of good-for-you ingredients, but if you're sensitive and prefer a foundation with a smaller, simpler product list, Lucy Minerals has that, too. Lucy also offers two different kinds of oil-control foundation.
There are also inexpensive, generous samples so you can test and see which formula works best for you.
There is a decent shade range, but I didn't find a shade match for my super pale skin... so the good people at Lucy Minerals blended one for me. It has my name on the sticker--how cute! They will blend in increments of 25% at no extra charge. There's a rotating sifter.

THE BAD: There's precious little "bad" about this foundation, but be aware that it has massive amounts of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These add to the creamy feel and the opaque coverage, but they may not behave in flash photography. The website claims that you don't feel the foundation once it's on... I do. It's not a terrible feeling; it's just soft and not super thin either.
I will also say that there is a learning curve. Annie is not kidding when she says to only use a little bit. It doesn't take much to look like you're wearing a cakey mask. I'd start out using less than you think you need. In my experience, it doesn't really layer well... but then the coverage is so good that layering is pointless. I apply my Lucy in one of two ways:

1. I dip a kabuki in the lid and pick up just a bit of powder. Then I tap the handle of the kabuki on my vanity so the powder sifts into the brush fibers. It should be near invisible on the surface of the brush. Then I gently apply it in circular motions. This is for general coverage when my skin is pretty good.

2. If I need more precise, heavier coverage on certain areas, I dip a concealer brush in the foundation and spot-apply it on any blemishes or discoloration. Then I blend that foundation out from around that area onto the rest of my face. If I can still see the blemishes, I go back over with a teeny concealer brush. In my experience, it is not necessary to apply more foundation than that... I have enough on my face from applying on and around the blemish area and blending outwards.

Another learning-curve thing to be aware of is that the foundations go on lighter than they appear in the jar. BUT WAIT! Then they get a little darker than that (and the coverage appears more natural) once they've been on your face for ten minutes. So, you can't really go by how the foundation looks in the jar or by how it looks when initially swatched. It's a little confusing.

BOTTOM LINE: If you have the patience to master the learning curve, and appreciate mineral makeup with a thick, creamy feel... you may well appreciate this foundation, as I do.

on 12/14/2011 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This products had a definite learing curve, but I'm happy to say that I love Lucy! I heard about this mineral makeup from watching YouTube videos on how to apply my previous foundation, Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation. I always found the BE to look dry, cakey, and patchy. It make my face look dull and dirty. I ordered Lucy's Oil Control Foundation with Calcium Carbonate (OCC) in Cream. I like that their shade selections include cool, neutral, olive, and yellow based foundations. The Cream is a pale, yellow based foundation. It's a pretty good match for me since it's winter and I'm super pale. The day I received the foundation, the site was running holiday specials and I bought the kit that came with one foundation, a finishing powder, blush, and your choice of two liner, eyeshadows, or brow powder. This time I purchased the foundation in Creamy Bisque, which is the same tone as Cream, but darker. This will be perfect for summer. I also got the OCC Finishing Powder. When I first started using this, it frustrated me because it would look so cakey and shiny within the first 15 minutes of applying. It would settle in the corners of my nose and look patchy. I changed my moisturizer from Solvere to Jojoba Oil and holy cow did that make a difference!! Now the foundation melts into my skin and looks flawless. I can use this as concealer too and it completely covers my moderate acne scars on my cheeks. I'm on Retin-A right now and my skin is pretty dry and this does highlight the flakes on my chin, but after 30 minutes or so, the flakes go away. This definitely needs to warm up on your skin to look its best. After much trial and error, I've figured out how to apply this on my skin. Here's how I do my foundation:
1. I pat two drops of Jojoba Oil on my damp face and let that soak in for a few minutes.
2. I use the EcoTools Bronzer Brush to lightly dust on the finishing powder. I find this step to be important because it acts as a primer and controls oil so much better.
3. I then tap out the foundation into a little cup. I literally use one tap. You need much less of this foundation than other MMU. I swirl my Sigma Flat Top Kabuki into the foundation and buff it onto my cheeks first, since that's where I need the most coverage. I then use the last bit in my cup to buff the foundation onto my nose, chin, and forehead. 4. I conceal with the EcoTools concealer brush. I just pick up a little of the minerals and pat it onto my acne scars. This does work to cover larger pimples too, but be careful not to use to much because it will look cakey later.
5. After I've concealed, I let it sit for a few minutes while I define my brows, curl my eyelashes, etc. Then I dust on a little more finishing powder over my face and I'm good to go!

I definitely recommend this foundation. The color selection is great and the samples are large and cheap. They also run amazing specials on kits. It's worth a try!
UPDATE: My face has been flaking pretty bad recently because I increased my application of Retin A and it's winter where I live. Even my hands are flakey! I've found that when I buff the Lucy into my skin with my kabuki, it makes the flakes look 10x worse and they don't go away after the foundation warms. I bought some of the flocked powder puffs from Walmart, which are velvety on one side and a sponge on the other. They come in a three pack and fit perfectly into the Lucy lids. I used the velvet side this morning to gently pat the foundation into my face. This worked really well and didn't upset my flakes at all! I just tip the jar over once with the puff over the sifter and it was the perfect amount. Just an FYI if you're dry or don't like to use brushes. The puffs were $1.47 for 3.

on 12/4/2011 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

GREAT mineral foundation, best I have ever tried. Covers my horrid rosacea and marks and undereye circles with ease. Looks a bit mask-like the first few minutes on (maybe I applied too much) but then melts into the face and looks just incredible. Like my own skin only way better. Fast shipping, and a bonus of a free pigment sample too! Really you ladies MUST try at least a few samples of this mineral foundation.

on 11/30/2011 10:44:00 PM

Amazing is all I can say!! I would recommend it to anyone!

on 11/29/2011 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love Lucy! Being over 50, I thought my mineral makeup days were over. I always looked dry and patchy with BM, Youngblood, Skinn, Serious Skincare, Sheer Cover, I've tried a lot. I went back to liquid and creams. I do love Eve Pearl HD foundation. But I tried Lucy from the great reviews. It didn't disappoint. I'm sort of light -medium. I bought shell beige and med. (they do have samples but when for the gusto and tried the big ones) Shell Beige is a perfect match. Med is a bit deeper but good to mix for summer. I got it with their flat top brush. I've been wearing everyday and I love the way it covers and looks natural. Less is more and keep buffing in. I do put a little primer on first and it really gives me a flawless look. Very impressed.

on 11/26/2011 2:35:00 AM

This is my HG. I love it and the customer service is outstanding. Jus today a beautician was working on my eyebrows when i told her that I have a patch of dark spot right on my cheek. She said she wouldn't have been able to see if i I hadn't told her. And she asked what concealer I used. Lucy Minerals is that awesome. (I had foundation in Light applied w a concealer brush and covered it over with foundation in Bisque which is my colour match). BM which I used for several years, was never able to do that.

on 11/20/2011 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This product is descent but is definitely not for me, my skin looked like it had powder all over it and it also accentuated my pores. I used a little bit and it still did not look natural. I tried both the original formula and both oil control formulas and my skin still looked really oily after an hour. I have to say it had good coverage and i am disappointed that this product did not give me the same results as it did for the other people who have used it.

on 11/9/2011 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using these products for about a week. I am so far pretty pleased with all that I purchased. I bought a "set" that included a foundation, a blush, finishing powder, 2 eyeshadows and 2 brushes for 54.00.
The product does wear different than other mineral makeup. I noticed that it blends better and it does not make my face itch as EDM did. I also love the fact that the foundtaion color matches my skin tone very well. Which for me is amazing- I am a medium olive. BM left me looking like I had a mask on.
I have yet to find a product that remains on my face for a full day. This one lasts about 5 hours and so far that is a pretty good run.
Customer service was amazing, I am lucky enough that I live local and this boutique is right around the corner. Or maybe that is not lucky for me or my wallet....