April 20, 2014 | 1637 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hard Candy - Sheer Envy Primer

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2011 1:40:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm still testing out primers, as I haven't found my HG yet. The first time I went to buy this, it was not in stock. I purchased L'oreal's Magic Perfecting Base instead. A few days later, I went back and the Hard Candy Primer was there. I bought it as well, thinking I'd alternate with the L'Oreal Primer (14$ for L'Oreal vs. 8$ for HC). As others have said, you should shake before applying as the product tends to separate and a little goes a long way. I tried this primer under my liquid foundation and applied my usual powder overtop (both foundation and powder by CG in Ivory). It didn't really make any difference in applying and within a few hours, my face was more shiny than it usually was without the primer.

Not wanting to waste my 8$, I decided to try another approach. I used the L'Oreal primer as a base, and mixed a little of the Hard Candy primer with my foundation. Followed with powder as usual. This seemed to yield much better results. Makeup went on better and there was much less shine. For the fact that I had to use it in cinjunction with another, more expensive product for it to work made me hesitant to repurchase. Additionally, the L'Oreal primer on its own didn't yield much better results. I will continue to use them together until I run out, but I'm still searching for my HG. I think next up will be UD's facial primers or mattifying spray. Though, I'm tempted to try the spray first because you can get a smaller travel-sized one and their full-sized products are expensive. I love their Primer Potion for eyes and I'm hoping I may have luck with their facial primer.

Overall, I would skip the Hard Candy primer. You get what you pay for, and in this case, not much,

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2011 2:45:00 PM More reviews by elfettig

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have combination, sensitive, acne-prone skin. Because of my skin's rough condition, I am very careful about what beauty products I use. This was the first primer I've ever tried, and after trying a few others, it's my HG primer.
After cleaning my face, I use a light-weight, oil-free moisturizer for combination skin. Then I apply a pea-sized amount of the Hard Candy Sheer Envy Primer with my fingertips. I let it dry and then put on my foundation and the rest of my makeup.
My first impression was that the consistancy seemed a bit choppy when I first squeezed it onto my fingers. However, rubbing it into my skin, it was super soft (though, not as soft as Smashbox Photo-Finish Primer) It did feel a little bit greasy, especially if I used too much.
I don't really feel like it reduces shine the way it claims it will. However, it does make my skin very smooth and hides my large pores without clogging them. Also, I did notice that my makeup stays on longer when I wear this primer.
The reason that the Sheer Envy Primer is better than the other primers I've tried is because of the price. I feel that this primer does it's job. The great price for the amount of product you get pushed it into the HG catagory for me.
I would recommend this product to anyone with a similar skin-type to mine. I will be repurchasing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 1:58:00 PM More reviews by lipglossjunkee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a review for the original Sheer Envy primer....I didn't mind the price ($8) but I hated how greasy I felt all day long AND the fact that it broke me out almost immediately. I tried it for 2 days and had greasy skin and breakouts (and this was the only new product in my regime) so I returned it. I love this brand, and I was sad that it didn't work.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 9:31:00 PM More reviews by jueykang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Great, affordable primer. Doesn't emphasize my dry areas too. Love.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by HannahS30

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this primer! it made my skin so smooth and silky! and doesn't break me out!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2011 12:54:00 PM More reviews by jessicaortiz20

I had never really used a primer before but decided maybe I should be using it considering my makeup always rubs off. I bought this primer along with loreal naturale mineral powder. First when you apply the primer it feels sort of greasy but I think it has more of a whipped texture than anything and since I have combination skin I thought it was going to make my skin really oily which it did not do. I applied it and then on top put the loreal naturale powder on top and it made the coverage very even! I love both of these products.
I accidently slept in my make up last night and woke up to see my makeup look exactly the same as it did when I had first applied it! I was very shocked that the primer worked so well! Also, I have used this product before and it has never made me breakout or anything....I would definately buy this again!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/17/2011 4:05:00 PM More reviews by JACsMama

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok..so I've been on a hunt for my HG primer and saw that our Walmart carried Hard Candy so I got this. I couldn't decide whether I wanted this or the Sheer Illuminating Primer but since I had already had my mind set on the Sheer Envy..I just got that one. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I really wanted to like this with some of the reviews and some people swearing by it. Plus..it's only $6!! But..I just can't like it. It is kind of oily right when you put it on. I would imagine had I tried to apply my foundation right afterwards, it would have been a hot mess. I let it sit on my face for a few minutes to soak in and it was a little better after that but still not what I was expecting. I almost took it off and used what I think is going to be my HG primer (L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base) but I decided I should at least give it a day to see how I like it before completely tossing it to the side (or on my swap list haha!) The staying power was something to be desired. I felt like as soon as I got a little hot, my makeup just melted right off so that ruined any chance I had of maybe liking this stuff. I dunno...I may keep it a little longer before giving it another go but it didn't do so well this time!! Maybe it will be better in the fall/winter when it's not so hot and I'm not sweating as much because I will admit that I did *kinda* like how it felt after it soaked in my skin!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2011 1:04:00 AM More reviews by xnobzx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this after I first discovered Hard Candy at my Walmart the other day and was initially thrilled that their products are being sold again....then I tried the products I bought and realized I got my hopes up for no reason. This "primer" doesn't do anything but make the skin super oily and does not absorb well....if at all. The ingredients looked somewhat promising from the first 3 or 4 main ingredients in the ingredient list (contained the same base ingredients as many high end primers) but the rest of the ingredients really made this product fail. Even after the primer "sinks in"(kinda, sorta, but not really) it doesn't make it easier to apply foundation. It feels like you are applying makeup to really oily skin that hasn't been washed in 2 weeks, not a enjoyable experience at all. And as for the staying power....What staying power!?!?! This made my foundation slip off my face within 30 minutes after application! The packaging was nice looking but when I went to pick up the product the 2nd day after I used it I realized that the product was leaking out of the cap even with it fully on and secure, it felt very oily and the actual outside of the tube was completely clean when I used it last. Terrible experience, miss the old school Hard Candy, will not repurchase. On the plus side this does give me yet another reason not to have to set foot into Walmart! I HATE Walmart with a passion, but that's another review.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by nicolem10

I LOVE this face primer, it really makes my skin smooth for applying my foundation! However the reason why I 1 lippie off is because
a) It doesnt really give your foundation a longer staying power
b) it seperates so you have to shake it before each use.

I would have to say this is right up there with smash box primer, it really is awesome for a drug store product and worth the purchase!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by dopekickss

i had super high expectations for this primer. i hoped it would smooth out my dry patches, fill in my pores and keep my foundation on longerr.... FALSE! i dont really mind the greasy feelng but it did nothing to help my foundation application go on smoother. and instead hiding my pores.. it clogged them and broke me out like crazy... never again will i use this!