Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

3.7

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have to say this is the best mascara I have used out of numerous drugstore and high end brands.

It gives great volume and length.

My only complaint is that it tends to flake and leave raccoon eyes after a day of work.

My problem with this mascara is that after a few weeks I was wearing it all over my face, not just my lashes. The color is very intense and dramatic which I LOVED but the gorgeous intense black is virutally useless when I cannot wear this without flaking constantly. This formula does not last long either. I needed to toss after two months as it was by then too dry. They had a great concept but the performance was dismal.

on 1/25/2011 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I received this in one of those beauty in a box things from sephora for christmas and this product has become my holy grail of mascaras!! I have very spars eyelashes, they're short and not thick. I put two coats of this on and it's like BAM! I love it! I have so little bottom lashes that even with mascara on them you can't see them, but with this mascara they're actually visible. Now while my bottom lashes aren't bam in your face like my top lashes, it is a step up for me.

I only have one complaint, this mascara runs easily even with a little bit of water, I wouldn't suggest wearing this mascara on a rainy day.

on 1/24/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

When i first tryed it thought i could use it by itself...but it didnt work as well as when i used my cheap IM pink mascara on the first layer. i did tree layers last one was Maybeline falsies....it made my lashes look super long, separated
......

on 1/24/2011 5:17:00 PM

Flaky, clumpy mess. This is a joke if you consider the price. Even though the first time I used this it flaked I was sure it was a fluke so I used it about 4 more times and it flaked all over my face. It looks like I'm wearing cheap mascara. I'll stick to clinique high impact.

on 1/22/2011 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

If you weren't given the gift of beautiful butterfly eyelashes, but rather were given short stubby eyelashes....this product is for you. Initially, I bought the Mascara kit from Sephora, so I could test all of the mascaras available. I found that, aside from Benefit's Bad gal mascara, there weren't any that blew my mind. I tried Make Up For Ever's product and I really found that it made a difference. I now bat my eyelashes at everyone ;) I have recommended this product to all of my girlfriends and they each swear by this product now.

on 1/11/2011 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Pros:
The color of this mascara is very black. Very intense. (Some black mascaras appear grey if you compare them to this one).
The brush is amazing. It has different size bristles and really coats each lash.
Holds the curl of my lashes like some other waterproof mascaras I used in the past (this is good, considering that this is not a waterproof mascara).

Cons:
It's very expensive.
The formula is too dry (even at the begining).
It clumps.
It flakes after 2 hours on my lashes (I don't use any mascara base).

I won't repurchase again. Maybe someday I will try the w/p version to see if it's any better.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this has a nice consistency and did a good job of lengthening and adding volume to my already long lashes. it is also nice and black. i have no complaints about this mascara at all. it only brought me good.
however, i won't buy again because i feel like i can find a cheaper drugstore mascara that can perform the same.
edit: it's getting to the point where this mascara is dying and drying out, and i've noticed that it flakes. so when this mascara is almost at the end, you need to replace it.

on 1/7/2011 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

As a professional makeup artist, I can honestly say i was not that impressed by this product. The first few applications were ok but it tends to dry out rather quickly. I am however in love with the brush! I kept it and sanitized it and used it with other mascaras :-) word of advice before you chuck a mascara out , figure out if its the brush or the formula.

on 1/5/2011 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this as a part of a MUFE set from Sephora, and based on the reviews I was really excited to try it. I have a lot of lashes and they are long but baby fine and dark blonde, so I need something that will volume and do a good job separating. This formula just seems way to runny, as it clumps my lashes in a wet mess that also ends up all over my eyelid :( No bueno! I really wanted this to work, and I must say that it's one of the blackest mascaras out there. I will give this mascara another try bc I've noticed that most mascaras change in formula a little bit after you use them for a week or so and maybe it will dry down a bit. I will update if a miracle happens :) other than that I will def not repurchase this gloppy mess!

Top Rated Make Up For Ever Products