August 31, 2014 | 1343 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 88 eyeshadow palette

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2010 2:50:00 PM More reviews by Amiga

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is really cheap. The smell of the makeup is really creepy. I really don't trust this product because I get the sense that this is cheaply made in some Chinese factory using god knows what ingredients. I'm really paranoid about the toxic scent that comes from it. My eyes are precious to me, more than any cheap makeup. I also saw this on youtube, and I am disappointed by those girls who didn't point out how chalky, toxic, and really unpigmented this stuff is. Go to a 99 cents store and buy some Loreal and Revlon. Way better stuff.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2010 7:04:00 AM More reviews by ChellyTelly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Way overrated. I distrust this company because of their marketing ploys. I believe they send free product to people in return for reviews on YouTube and Facebook giving glowing recommendations. That's all it could be. This is chalky and doesn't stay as well as just about any other drugstore eyeshadow. You would do better with Wet n Wild, Maybelline or Revlon. I bought three of the 88 matte palettes, one for me and each of my daughters, for Christmas last year. My daughters love makeup but they NEVER use this. I really tried to love it but don't.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/26/2010 1:55:00 AM More reviews by BunnyIrene

Save your MONEY! I haven't touched this palette since I first purchased it. It has a strong smell of paint and the colour pay-off is terrible. The matte colours are chalky and the shimmer colours don't show up. Save your money for quality shadows your eyes will thank you and the colour pay-off is worth the money. This is a cheap horrible product.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2010 7:55:00 PM More reviews by sugablonde

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

From the Coastal Scents website review, you would think this would be almost heavenly lol.

FIRST THOUGHTS: When first opening the package, I noticed the smell immediately. They smelled heavily of paint but that really didn't bother me too much since I thought it may fade with time (and it did). At first glance, the colors were vibrant, I swiped my finger across one of the colors and it had great pigmentation. I thought it was great and I was ready to try it out.

APPLICATION: A lot of girls compared this to MAC eyeshadow (on coastal scents website) and I would have to say that this cannot be compared to MAC. It may have the same color vibrancy but when applying it, it just doesn't spread well enough. MAC eyeshadow smooths right on and blends in nice and smooth; this doesn't do that so well. I find that when I used a brush with longer bristles (so I could grab more shadow) it worked better but then the extra color fell down on my cheeks!!

PACKAGING: This is pretty bad. In my 2nd month of use, I lost my applicators b/c the dang thing won't hold them in place! The package does little to nothing to hold those in (even though there is a little place for them to be "snapped" in -- yeah right!). The "snap" that keeps the package closed broke and no longer works and the screws/pegs that are supposed to keep the top and the bottom half together, eventually wiggled their way out and disappeared. The only thing that is still put together is the mirror on the top and the pots of color on the bottom; none of those have broken!

OVERALL: I would only buy this for someone who really wants to play and experiment with different colors. Lots of the colors (like someone else had stated) are almost unusable because they are so bright. They have lasted me a very long time and I have yet to see the bottom of the pots on any of my colors. I use this almost daily and I've had it for about 9 months now. But I'm ready to go and pick up some REAL eyeshadow :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2010 12:21:00 PM More reviews by sparrack

I bought this a few months ago when I decided to get into make up.

The quality isn't THAT great but I would highly recommend a newbie buy this. It allows you to experiment with different colours/looks. I know what colors I really like on me and more importantly, the ones that I frequently use.

I have been slowly buying better quality shadows in the colours that I really like.

Another thing is.. many of the colors are really bright and in my opinion, unusable (at least for me)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2010 6:36:00 PM More reviews by gabthefab2312

i love this product because you cause do so many diffreant looks with it . the only thing i dislike a bout it is the packaging
the eyeshadows are super glued in and tend to fall out randomly and i have to super glue them back but i love all the colors and the palatte will last you for ever
i would buy it again

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by SadAng3l

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I already have the 88 Ultra Shimmer Palette and I loved it so I was really excited to get this palette as sometimes its nice to have a good selection between shimmer and non shimmer. Anyway I recieved it today along with other palettes which I ordered and im a little disappointed to be honest.

Im sure as everyone knows the shipping costs on Coastal Scents is very high even though the palette itself is cheap so you would expect it to be in perfect condition when it arrives.

Anyway it certainly was packaged well but when I first took off all the excess wrapping I noticed on the outside of the palette there seemed to be green eyeshadow at the side of it. I opened the palette and was very disappointed to find that one of my green eyeshadows was cracked with a big chunk missing out of it. Not only that but the loose green eyeshadow was all over my new palette and got in some of my other eyeshadows like the silver. Im quite disappointed in that.

Apart from that though the palette is great with a great colour selection to choose from. The only other thing is that it has quite an acrylic smell to it like my shimmer palette.

Edit: I contacted Coastal Scents about the damaged palette and they replied back after a couple days saying that they are going to send me another warm and matte palette. Im very happy with that.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2010 9:38:00 AM More reviews by beibeilei

So many reviewers have already mentioned the good things about this palette...overall very colorful and pigmented for only $20. The only thing I don't like about this is the packaging. Without the clear film that protects the eyeshadows when the palette is closed, the color transferred to the 2 tip applicators by the mirror the palette has..and the plastic part (applicator holder) scraped off a part of the eyeshadow....so now I put the clear film over the shadows after each use which is so inconvenient. I say the palette can do without the mirror and the applicators.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2010 9:08:00 AM More reviews by FUNERALFACETV

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Overall I am satisfied with this palette. I bought mine from sedonalace.com (though, I think they sell the same palettes as costal scents does) and I couldn't believe how intricate the packaging was. The palette was wrapped in bubble wrap, put into a box, then the box was wrapped in larger bubble wrap, and put into a bigger box full of foam peanuts. Amazing. Points always go to companies who package their products well.
And it only took me 2 days to receive my palette! This company is based in Florida (Not in Hong Kong like many other brands) so it was way faster this way!

My only downside and the reason for rating it a 4 is that the matte palette isn't really matte at all. The majority, yes, are matte. But out of the 88, 33 or so (give or take) are either a satin, shimmer, or frost finish. Totally wasn't expecting that. The seller didn't mention this even though I think this it's a pretty important detail. But thats my only complaint.

The price is unbeatable there so I can't really complain too much. The shadows are fairly pigmented, everything was carefully packaged, I got it in two days, AND I got a free brush! So total A+ very satisfied.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by hdh41795

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great palette for people who are new to makeup or just want to have a a lot of good quality eyeshadows for a good price. The color payoff is great. With a primer the shadows will last all day. I like these shadows more than my mac ones. For the price, these are AMAZING!