April 19, 2014 | 1557 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by lawgirl07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not the biggest fan of this mascara. That said though, my eyelashes are tricky and don't work well with a lot of mascaras anyway (being irritatingly straight and never holding a curl).

The good things about this mascara are that it increases volume, looks fantastic on lower lashes and doesn't clump too badly.

On the downside though, it tends to flake pretty badly for me - by the end of the day I'll have a lot of weird black flaky bits under my eyes. I also think it made my eyelashes fall out slightly more than normal. Nothing hugely dramatic where I woke up to bald eyes - I'd just notice an eyelash on my cheek a tiny bit more than I usually would.

Overall, if you're blessed with lovely long, curly lashes, this may work well for you. For anyone else, I'd recommend trying something else.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by abbycdefg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Although I don't think I'll ever find my HG mascara (My name is Abby and I'm a dramatic-eyelash-aholic), I've repurchased this for years. I used to use it on its own and it was great. I have pretty average lashes (long-ish, dark, holds curl well) and this definitely holds curl and the glam black color is wonderfully black. I'm a fan of a big wand as well, and this one is nice. For a few months I've used this underneath Rimmel Scandaleyes (orange tube, original formula) and it's such a great combo. The Scandaleyes brush is huge and a bit sloppy, so this mascara does well to separate and lengthen before I go for the mega-volume. Bottom line, this is the best Maybelline mascara I've ever tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by mascaraloverforlife

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

this mascara kind of reminds me of maybelline full 'n soft mascara. almost the same classic brush but this mascara makes my lashes darker than the full 'n soft. this mascara did made my lashes brittle, which is a con but for the price, it's actually a really good mascara. this is more of a lengthening mascara so if you're looking for tons of volume, i recommend using 3 coats of this mascara. it also has a faint rosy smell which most people hate but it didn't bother me at all, it fades anyway. it didn't clump my lashes either, woohoo! :)

PROS
+adds length
+adds a little bit of volume, a lot of volume if you apply 2-3 coats
+doesn't clump my lashes
+dark pigment (I used the classic black one)
+separates my lashes well
+cute, yellow packaging

CONS
-made my lashes brittle
-a little bit of flaking, not much that i can't handle

THIS IS MY HG MASCARA <3

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2013 12:21:00 PM More reviews by LisaEdelman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had high hopes for this mascara because I love Maybelline as a brand. The good news is it made my lashes, which are long and black and thick to start with, look longer, blacker and thicker. The bad news and the deal breaker is that it flakes chunks, chunks I tell you! What a shame. To save throwing it away completely, I use it as a base coat and seal in the chunks with another better (Cover Girl, Lash Blast) mascara as a second coat. That works!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2013 4:07:00 PM More reviews by californiagirl103

At first this mascara was just okay. I bought it right when it came out and I threw it away. A couple weeks ago, I decided to give it another try. I FELL IN LOVE. Seriously I don't know why I didn't like it at first. My lashes are extremely long, but thin. This mascara gives great volume without clumping. I usually put on one coat, let it dry for about 10 seconds, and then apply the second coat. It looks amazing this way!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by kwhits

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought one bottle of the waterproof version and to be honest it's okay. I have very oily lids and only wear mascara, and at the end of the day I always find dark smudges and some flakes under my eyes. So I started using it as a base under my Voluminous mascara and it works great but it makes my eyelashes droop down a lot. I would probably keep your options wide but I prefer the Loreal Voluminous mascara instead.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2013 6:47:00 AM More reviews by Efeemck

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely TERRIBLE mascara! It flaked down my face by lunchtime and transferred on my browbone. Maybelline sort it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 5:42:00 AM More reviews by amberxjustinx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using Maybelline Colossal 100% black for around a week now, and I think this is 'the one' for me. I never curl my lashes or apply fake ones, so I have always found it hard finding a good mascara, but this mascara is great, I give me really good length in just one coat and it thickens the lashes with every lash, so far it hasn't clumped unless my eyes are watering, due to this one isn't waterproof, the one thing it doesn't really give is curl, I am not saying it doesn't give me curl whatsoever, it does give great curl on the side lashes so it makes them look great. I don't really have any cons probably just the curl thingy which is nothing major. I would recommend it to anyone I loved it a lot, everyone was commenting on how great my lashes look and just so you know I have 'Asian lashes' (that's what I think they're called) my lashes are basically flat, short and straight so having a mascara like this is brill, thanks for reading:)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by MacBarbie90

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I exchanged the Mega Plush mascara purchase I had made with this mascara after reading horrible review on the Mega Plush and good reviews on this one. I really liked this mascara and the formula lasted and didn't dry out on me. Like most Maybelline mascaras, it did flake and leave ashes on my cheeks after a while, but the amount of volume it gave my lashes after just 2 or 3 coats was amazing. Overall, it was a good mascara, and would recommend it to first-time buyers.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Lexy123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

READ HERE: okay so most of the comments on here are saying that it clumps. So here's the solution: when you are taking the brush out of the tube to apply to your lashes, spin it back and forth slowly while you're getting it out. This takes all the exes mascara off the brush and leaves the correct amount on it. Okay so now that you know what i do to make it less clumpy, on with the review!! I think that this is a good product to use with another mascara. I would use a really good mascara for setting the base, and then i would use this one as the second layer. This gives your eyes really good volume and length. I got it in black and i really like it. It makes your eyelashes pop! It does flake a bit but its not too noticeable (considering that mine is waterproof). The mascara that i used for the base is the l'oreal voluminous millions lashes mascara in coal black and water proof.