Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk

3.8

Water/Aqua, Alcohol, Anthyllis Vulneraria Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Glycerin, Fermented Grain Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bentonite, Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Fragrance/Parfum (Essential Oil), Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Citronellol 5/29/09

on 11/23/2006 3:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is the best cleanser I've ever tried. I used to find that it didn't remove makeup, but i realised now that it requires a special method to cleanse the skin of makeup and impurities thoroughly and very gently. It is very soothing. I learnt how to cleanse with this cleanser after looking at several youtube references.
First I fill a basin with warm water mixed with some lavender bath, then soak 2 cotton pads in the water and squeeze out the excess. I put a pump of cleansing milk on the pads and distribute it evenly on the 2 pads, place the pads on my closed eyes and relax for few seconds. Gently remove the eye makeup with downwards sweeping movements , then gently swipe loosened makeup under the eye from outside in. Eye makeup readily dissolves in this cleanser. Next i do the same with to remove lipstick.
Then with I wet my face with warm water, and pump 4-5 pumps of cleanser on my wet palm, add bit of water and rub palms together, then i distribute cleanser evenly all over my face. I start to carefully work cleanser into my face to remove makeup and impurities. Adding bit more water to my palms, i press and roll my palms all over my face to gently dislodge impurities.
Finally I remove the cleanser with a washcloth soaked in warm water then squeezed out the excess. i place the washcloth on my face and gently dab away the cleanser, gently wiping in tiny strokes from centre of the face out.
I do few final rinses with warm water and continue with the cleansing cream.
My skin always feel very soft , smooth and soothed.
Although this is my favourite cleanser, the price of this product is scary high. I will switch to a cheaper product.

on 11/9/2006 10:15:00 AM

I bought this after seeing how good a friends skin looked due to using it in tandem with the toner. I have borderline dry/combination skin. It feels nice & is a product of good quality - but dried my skin out & made it blotchy and also feel tight in places. It doesnt really clean off your skin - but seems to still be harsh-ish. I wont use it again. Also i dropped the bottle on the bathroom floor (tiled) and it smashed into lots of tiny pieces - so be careful.

on 10/14/2006 4:48:00 PM

Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Milk is very moisturizing, so much so that I actually didn't have to use a moisturizer at night as Dr. Hauschka recommends. Aside from the moisture, this cleanser was not skin-altering enough to justify its expense, so my search for the HG continues...

on 10/12/2006 1:24:00 PM

I adore Dr. Hauschka's Cleaning Milk, as it cleanses my skin without making it feel tight and itchy afterward. My skin is dry on cheeks/undereyes/forehead. It's also sensitive/reactive, and rosacea-prone. I think this Cleansing Milk would be great for skin of any type, as it balances the skin instead of stripping it of its natural oils. It does a good job of taking off mascara, and doesn't sting the eyes. (I wouldn't know of its ability to take off foundation, since I don't wear any.) I use my fingers for cleansing, instead of a washcloth, since my skin tends to react to everything, even laundry detergents and dryer sheets. This Cleansing Milk (along with Dr. H's other products in my regimen), takes all the credit for my blemish-free skin. My pores look tighter, and my skin looks more evenly-toned. I get comments on how great my skin looks. I've been using Dr. H for over a year. When I recently tried to switch to a cheaper cleanser for sensitive skin, my skin immediately went haywire. I went back to the Cleansing Milk and my skin cleared up within days. Dr H's products are less expensive if you buy them on Ebay, direct from Germany. I love that they are natural, plant-based, and free of a lot of the chemicals that you see in other lines, both from department stores and drugstores. The glass container is a bit of a pain for travel, but that is a minor complaint, and doesn't dissuade me from using this product. Oh, and the scent is lovely!

on 9/21/2006 4:06:00 PM

Goddess, this is e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e, but worth every cent of euro - haha!
It's cheaper in Germany, but not in Italy and not easy to find in stores.
I really like this cleansing milk, even if I don't usually go for that kind of cleanser because I have combo skin and gels give me a cleaner non-greasy squeaky effect.
This milk is different and it's higly effective when used as advised by Dr.Haushcka.
It perfectly removes makeup if you spread and massage it on face then wipe away with a dump sponge and rinse with clear water. It works for eyes, too, but it may sting as it contains alcool.
The skin feels clean, soft, balanced and all you need for nightcare is their toner!
At the beginning it sounds a little freaky to skip a night cream, especially if your skin is not oily. Mine is fair with ivory undertones NC20, combo/sensitive with little blemishes and tiny blackheads, prone to redness on cheeks and starting to ageing :-(
Milk + toner provide a moisture base for night without any cream need.
You just have to get used to it. It works for me, hope I won't regret this choice later.
I love the philosophy behind this kind of olistic products that are ecological both for environment and your skin!
I had bad reaction for years with normal advised cosmetics, liking best Lancome and Clarins among others.
I never had a rush or itching or red patches since I use brandmarks like Dr.Hauschka, Lavera or Weleda, Dr.Hauschka being the milder for combination skin treatment.
Now I won't go back to commercial and industrial cosmetics.

on 9/9/2006 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE October 2006: Breakout didn't go away until I started back on Neostrata. Therefore I won't buy this again as there are better, cheaper cleansers out there that are just as organic.

The first thing that struck me about the Cleansing Milk was that it smells almost exactly like Weleda's Wild Rose Cleanser: very herby/floral; a nice scent but some might find it too cloying. I use 1-2 pumps most mornings and evenings to cleanse my combination skin (despite what Dr H recommends for combo skin I have found that using this more often than the Cleansing Cream works well) and I've found that it does clean off makeup effectively, although if you like to slap it on you might find it's less effective. If I have any clean face washers I remove all trraces of the cleanser with one, otherwise I just rinse my face really well under the shower, and it leaves my face soft and smooth. It's kind of pricey though, even when buying over the net with a discount, but no more than I would have considered spending on an equivalent cleanser.

on 8/29/2006 3:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This leaves my thin, dry and sensitive skin so soft and clean!!! Its texture is hard to define lightweight yet dense (you can truly smell the vegetal active ingredients in there, plus a hint of alcohol), and definitely leaves your skin replenished.

As to its use, please bear in mind this cleansing milk is not a normal cleansing milk. You are supposed to dab it on your wet face, then do the press and roll movement, and finally rinse away with a damp cloth. I am pretty sure anyone skipping the rinse-off will end up with clogged pores. I was very reluctant to doing it, but it has not dried my skin at all, though it is very dry in that area and has fine lines. The milk can also be applied on a damp makeup pad to remove eye makeup. This works wonders and has not caused me any irritations or allergies (I am blue-eyed and wear contact lenses, a pretty sensitive environment).

As to packaging, I give it 5 stars. I love the glass pump dispenser: it is ECOLOGICAL, and protects the product from air damage. Not ideal to travel, but I can live with that.

As to its effects, no critics at all, my skin is clean, healthy,and I know I am not putting any dodgy chemicals on my face, while ecouraging an ecological company that plans every manufacturing step to respect the earth. Coupled with the full method (cleansing cream, lotion, moisturising milk and the occasional steam bath and mask), a perfect way to take care of your face.

This milk costs me 12 US$ bought online in Germany, making it a very affordable cosmetic line for anyone living in Europe.

on 8/28/2006 10:58:00 AM

Altough I like the Hauschka brand I dont like the cleansers. This milk didnt clean my makeup, after using this i had bronzing powder remaining on my face. also i tried cleaning my eye makeup like the other reviewers but nothing irritated my eye like this, i actually cried. and it made my skin red around the eye. i wont buy again, i switched to weleda cleansers.

on 8/21/2006 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This stuff is gorgeous!! I don't use it to take off mu 'cuz it just doesn't. I use my normal face wash at night to take off all my mu, then use this, then only this in the mornings. I don't need any kind of moisturizer after I use it, and have gone down to using avene only every other night, putting nothing on my face alternate nights. My skin seems to like this much, much better. Using this method, and avon's Alternative Intensive Age Treatment SPF 25 during the day, my skin is responding really well, becoming much more even and smooth with less oil (uber oily skin) and smaller pores. The texture is so soft and silky, albiet a little thinner than I'm used to. Definitely a milky texture. Doesn't foam or suds up either which I'm perfectly willing to get over. Not crazy about the rose smell he has in everything, but it's very soft and non-offensive. Love the pump, but a huge glass bottle?? YIKES! I'm terrified I'm going to drop it in the shower and might end up transferring it to another container, especially for travel. I still am just in love with this stuff.

on 8/3/2006 11:32:00 AM

EDIT: I've been using these products for several months, and I've decided to go back to my beloved Sothys products for sensitive skin. While I really like the ethos of Dr. Hauschka's line, several of the products have too much alcohol in them. When I would sweat, the moisturizing skin cream would get into my eyes and sting! That had never happened before; certainly not with my Sothys products! So I deleted some lippies and won't be buying again. Betsy 4/15/07

This is a review of the whole Dr. Hauschka skin care line.

Thanks to ProductGuru's long review, I decided to re-try Dr. Hauschka's skin line. I'd tried the kit for sensitive skin and liked it a lot, but didn't take the plunge and get the full-sized products (this stuff is quite pricey). So anyway, I pried open my wallet and with trembling hands, plunked down an enormous wad of cash for the whole line. My reaction, after a few weeks of exclusive use:

Dr. H. is THE BOMB!!!!!!!! HG all the way. I use the daily cleanser, cleansing cream, toner, daily moisturizer, eye cream (in the tube), the ampules for sensitive skin, and the revitalizing mask. All I can say is, this stuff is incredible. My skin is actually pretty decent anyway--although I have rosacea, it is pretty mild, and I don't tend to break out--but I have rather large pores on my nose. Well, after using this line exclusively, I swear they are SHRINKING! Nothing else I have tried has made my skin look this good. I can only imagine how it will look in two months, which is the length of time ProductGuru says it will take to see lasting results.

One good thing is that I won't be using the ampules for ever; the recommendation is to use them until that your skin is normalized (6-8 weeks) and then after that, you only need to use them a few times a year, like when the seasons change. This will cut down on the price. Like others, I was a bit skeptical about only using the ampules on my face at night, but my skin feels fine when I wake up, and I never really liked night creams--my skin is not dry and they all are too heavy. I don't know whether I will still feel this way in winter, but right now, the ampules are working quite well.

I absolutely agree with ProductGuru's advice to use the whole line; you won't get the same results if you use it piecemeal. I know it is expensive, but when I look at the Sephora and Bliss catalogs and see the prices for many of the creams and potions for sale there, I don't feel that Dr. H. is outrageous in comparison. I also really like the philosophy behind the product.

In short--terrific products, I am totally delighted with the results, and now I know I have found the skin care line that really works for me.

Betsy