April 18, 2014 | 1879 users online

Mascara - Estee Lauder - Double Wear Zero Smudge Lengthening Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2010 8:59:00 AM More reviews by Ymber

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Almost perfect mascara. It stays put, does not smudge or crumble, reasonably resists sweat and humidity, and is easy to remove with just warm water (which I absolutely love, as I can happily forget about eye makeup remover; especially useful when traveling). My only complaint is that it does clump a bit, so I need to be careful to wipe the brush and apply just a small amount, which is why Iīm only giving 4 lippies.

EDIT 15/01/2012:
After trying a couple of other mascaras, I am raising my rating of this mascara to 5 star and going to buy it again. I simply did not realize how much I liked it until I bought some other mascaras (my aim was to save money, after all, I have never used HE mascaras before so I thought what the hell). Especially one of those that also have high rating here (Bourjois Volume Glamour Ultra Care, just for reference) eventually upset me by rubbing on my upper eyelids during the day (I hate that self-conscious "do-I-have-four-eyebrows?" feeling), and at the same time, by how fiddly it was to remove. That is where I finally gave my old DoubleWear the full credit.
Yes, DW might be tricky to apply at first but once done, it is absolutely faithful throughout the whole day, until late night, during exercise, anytime and anywhere (maybe except sauna:)). Also, it goes off like charm - provided you are aware of two important facts:
1) It is ONLY removable with either just plain warm water (the way I use, and love), or a special eye make-up remover (by EL). You cannot remove it with ordinary stuff, not even oil-based remover (or better said - you can, but certainly not so effortlessly). It is actually written on the little box the mascara comes in, but I think the sales reps should notify customers explicitly...
2) It falls off your lashes in sort of tiny chunks which you may find a bit gross at first. However, consider the benefit: It never gives you panda eyes, ever, not even overnight, if you are not careful enough to remove every last bit!
Apart from that, I never experienced any irritation, or noticed losing my eyelashes - it is just a perfect, fuss-free mascara for me, and oh by the way, the tube is very elegant AND one of very few that looks like new even after a year, no wiped or smudged letters, no mess around the tube neck... All that being said, I think I am not going to stray again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2010 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Borovichka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is very pigmented, very black mascara (Iíve got it in 01 Black), does the job as far as lengthening goes. If you apply it with the primer it will give you some volume as well. Brush is a little longer than usual, very good for separating and lengthening. The best part with this mascara is that it will stay all day on your lashes, it does not smudge whatís so ever and it does not flake. For me a lot of mascaras smudge by the end of the day, some in a few hours but this one definitely stayed put and made my lashes dramatic. The only thing with Double Wear mascara, it makes your lashes a little bit stiff to the touch, I donít care about that so much, but a lot of people do. It is also very hard to remove, you will have to use very good eye makeup remover in order to take it off. Very good overall for every day if you are working long hours. I recommend using it with primer to keep your lashes conditioned, comes in brown and other versions of black colors. Will repurchase, recommend over Dior Show.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2010 2:34:00 PM More reviews by marippe

my mom had asked me to stop by macy's one day to get her some more perfume (estee lauder white linen), and i got some free gifts with the purchase. one of them was this mascara, double wear zemo smudge, and a lash primer. I have always been a fan of estee mascaras, and this one is pretty good too! definitely lengthens my lashes, and zero smudging/flaking throughout the day. i just wish it was a little more volumizing! overall it's a great mascara that i may think about buying once i get through my dior & mac ;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2010 10:35:00 AM More reviews by Shazzer1976

I got this as part of a set and was holding on to it to use it post eye surgery - so very sensitive eyes. as you can imagine! The only reason I would not buy this again is because of the very high price tag and the fact that you are meant to replace your mascara every 3 to 6 months. At first I found it quite 'wet' however it applies really well. One of the few mascaras that does not end up all over my eye lid after I have applied it! It also coats your eyelashes really well, it lenghtens and it seems to curl my lashes slightly - I'm not sure if I have a natural curl in my lashes anyway!

It hasn't irritated my eyes but late in the day I find it can flake a little bit but that is usually at the end of the day when my eyes are tired and everything seems to irritate them! I just wish I could find a mascara that was as good at a fraction of the price tag! I would recommend this to other people and I am tempted to repurchase inspite of the price!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2010 7:56:00 PM More reviews by CommerceCitySister

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this sort of on a whim. I've always loved mascara; it's my 'go to' when it comes to makeup and I pretty much don't leave the house without it on. I've tried all kinds over the years. I recently got a new job after a long and arduous interview and examination process and so I decided to splurge a little on myself to celebrate and try this stuff out. I would love to give it a five because it has a nice texture and color (I have it in black and it's a solid, black-black) and the brush and overall packaging are very good and easy to use. However, I had to give it four for these reasons:

It seems tricky to apply correctly. If I take my time with it and be careful not to apply too much, it does exactly what it purports to do: lengthen. I love that about it! I walk a fine line with this mascara because if I overdo it slightly and apply too much in one shot, it clumps terribly and builds up thick on my lashes. So, I start lightly with it and add tiny amounts until it sets in. If it applies correctly, it's the best mascara I've ever used.

Another reason why it loses one is because I find it to be strange when removing it. My regular cleanser/cold cream doesn't work on it...no, the only thing that will remove this is warm water with a little soap. I suppose that's a testament to its staying power. It truly stays put and will not smudge, again, as it claims. I can rub my eyes with this on and it will not smear. I've also cried with it on and it stayed in place just fine, which is odd since warm water takes it off. I've even put this on at 6 in the morning, fallen asleep with it on that night, and it still looks good the next morning. So yeah, it has incredible staying power. I just wish my cold cream would cut through it because it causes me to add an extra step to my nightly facial routine.

I think maybe I don't fully understand this mascara. I love it, but it's also a little bothersome to use so rather than use it for daily wear, I tend to use it if I'm going out and need something a bit more dramatic on my eyes. Still, I have to recommend it because when it's good, it's really, really good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is wicked. I got a 2.4ml in a double ended wand together with double wear concealer (perfect for traveling, I love the concept!!!) and I plan to buy a full size one as soon as I run out. The formula is great, very black, quite liquid-y but not runny so I get good volumising coats but they're not clumpy, lengthens really well and almost looks like fake lashes. Almost. Holds a curl OK, not the best but better then some I've tried.
Oh, it is does NOT smudge, flake or crumble while you're wearing it. Perfect!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by monjayaki

The only mascara which doesn't irritate my super sensitive eyes!! It stays on up to 10 hour wear and yet so easy to remove. Try this one if you have sensitive eyes!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 7:13:00 AM More reviews by jodiebug22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this mascara for a number of years now and I during that time I have tried to find something a little cheaper, but I always end up going back to Estee Lauder Double Wear.
I live in the humid tropics and I can put this on in the morning and have it last all day, without wearing off (or marking my eyelids).
I love this mascara and have given up trying to find another cheaper version that matches it - nothing comes close.
Makes my eyelashes look thicker and longer and lasts all day and just washes off with warm water.
Def my HG for mascaras!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2010 9:14:00 PM More reviews by kgreenan111

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been searching ALL OVER for a mascara that didn't run or smudge. I am just one of those people that EVERYTHING ran. This mascara is great. It doesn't bother my sensitive eyes and says in place ALL DAY. Its not super great for dramatic lashes, but if you are looking for every day all day wear, this is great. I agree with some reviews that it flakes when you are taking it off, But only when you are taking it off so its not really a big deal. Love it. Get It.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/24/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by thoughtbubble

I'm so disappointed in this. On the plus side, it does last all day and does not smudge. The bad thing is that it clumps on my lashes like crazy. I've tried everything to make it not clumb, even using a brush from another mascara tube but still, it clumps. I wanted to like this so much :( Unfortunately, I will not be buying this again.