September 2, 2014 | 1456 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 11:21:00 AM More reviews by mellypmakeup

This a a nice light beige base for the lids. On my NC35/NC40 skin it makes my lids super stark so I add just a little (you really only need a little. unless you want creasing) I appreciate the fact that I don't have to add a highlight if I didn't want too because this takes the place very well.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2011 8:59:00 PM More reviews by JooYeon

Maybe I got a bad batch? Many raves on this paint pot but I always have a hard time applying it (even with my fingers). I like the color, but it's not creamy enough (way too dry) that I feel like I have to grind it over my eyes for an even application.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2011 8:56:00 AM More reviews by lalu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first paint pot but comparing to udpp it doesnt perform as good. On the 3rd hour it starts creasing. Also I am a little disappointed that it looks a little weird on my nw25-nc30ish skin tone. Not buying again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2011 11:20:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: How fun is this? I like to be able to play with a different type of product. I got to bring out my nonexistant make up artist side when using this. This was okay as a base for my oily lids. Helped my powder last a little bit longer. MAC calls Soft Ochre a "yellow beige."

CONS: It definitely takes practice in application and is not something I could just quickly slap on. I hear from many on here that it dries up quick in the pot and then you have to add visine or something. ? I've had mine for about a year and a half, and it's just barely starting to pull away from the sides of the jar, but it does not feel any different, consistency-wise.

APPLICATION TIPS: I took the advice of others about dabbing it when it started to move later on in the day, and it did help reset the lasting power for a while. For my N15 (leaning to NC) skin, the soft ochre was nice with a brightening, popping effect for my blue eyes. (Painterly was way too cool/pink on me.) I actually love to use this VERY lightly right under my lower lash line, on top of my concealer. It makes my concealer last forever. (I know. I know. It's odd. But it works so great for me.)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by bleupoppy2

I looooooove this paint pot! It's the first one I purchased and it's still my favorite. I'm a pale, but warm toned gal (NC 20) and this is the perfect match for my skin. Painterly was far too pink, and I still prefer this as it covers up any discoloration on my eyelids. The yellow tones (I feel) also help bring out warmer tones in the eye shadows I wear over it, which is a good think :) I find that this helps bring out my hazel eyes more!

As for the staying power, it's second to only my beloved Too Faced Shadow Insurance, but I find myself wearing this more often for the color. No creasing, no fading, no smudging of any kind when I wear this under my eye shadows. I find that it's a little bit on the pricey side, and the packaging could be better, but the product itself is worth every penny :) I highly recommend this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2010 5:46:00 AM More reviews by pinknplush

Holy rock-hard thingy! I dunno exactly how I can use this.. It dries way too quickly before I can evenly apply this on my lids. The shade is nice thou. Consistency is really intolerable. Can't even use as a good lip base. Can't substitute for concealer. Will just finish this tub and aI'm done. Will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by ddha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for MAC's Paint Pot in Soft Ochre.

This is a good product. I switch between this and Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP) as a base for eye shadow. Below is a review on the different aspects of the product.

About me - NC 15, pale blonde hair, blue eyes, normal skin, sometimes dehydrated.

Color - MAC describes this as a yellow-beige and that's spot on. I'm NC 15 and its just about my skin tone -except it is more yellow in shade. It's to yellow for me to wear alone. If you are considering a paint pot and Soft Ochre is to yellow, I'd try Painterly which is more pink in tone.

Coverage - It is thick and covers well.

Texture - It's a creamy potted product. I use my finger to apply. I just swipe my finger over the product and apply. It applies smooth and evenly.

Longevity - It doesn't last all day on me. I think UDPP works better for that. It doesn't wear off blotchy. It can crease after time, especially if you are outside in the summer. I took off a lippie for this. I really dislike products that crease.

Packaging - It's in a small pot. The packaging is MAC's typical sleek and simple style. There is a black screw off top and a glass pot. The MAC site lists it as 5 g / 0.17 fl oz. It's a small pot, but there is a ton of product. I've had it for over a year and have only made a small dent with regular use.

Price - I bought this at the Cosmetic Company Outlet. MAC sells it for $16.50. I purchased it for around 30% off. It's a decent price for the amount of product.

Would you buy this product again? Yes, but I likely won't have to. This one is going to last me for years.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by jay4jazz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is slightly too light for my NC25 skin, but if I apply it sheerly, it covers any redness in my eye so the high pigmentation is good and I don't have to use so much product. One problem I have with the product is that I can't get an even application if I use a brush, I have to use my fingers which is why I took one lippie off. But other than that I love it!
UPDATE: I found that this product applies much better on warmer climates. So if I want to use it in winter, I warm it up with a hair drier first, but apply very sparingly!
Also I prefer UDPP for a base as the colors are brighter and truer over UDPP, but if a color won't work with my skin tone, Soft Ochre is a good way to make it more wearable.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by LSButtercup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I apply this paintpot as a base almost every single day. I use my fingers to warm it up and apply it and it works perfectly for me. It makes my eye makeup last forever and it doesn't crease on my lids. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2010 10:16:00 AM More reviews by MAClovaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this product! Very creamy, skin coloured primer type of purpose. I use this everyday and it preps my eyes for shadow. Can crease depending on what I have been doing that day. I wouldnt use this as a regular colour without shadow. Would repurchase again!