October 31, 2014 | 1132 users online

Moisturizers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - 100% Pure Argan Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by earriaga

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product for the use of a moisturizer on my face at night, but I didn't see any dramatic difference with my skin. However, I love using this oil for my cuticles overnight and for manicures. Also, I mix a few drops of this oil with my body lotion and it leaves my skin looking radiant and moisturized.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by kyliechester

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am OBSESSEd with this oil. I was skeptical because I felt like it was going to clog my pores, so I went with the $14 half ounce option to begin with. I will be repurchasing in the full size when I run out. I use this only at night overtop of my Epiduo, but holy moly are the results amazing. I suffer from acne, but my skin is also very dry and sensitive, so I've been searching for a product that comforts and calms it. This is it. I love it. My skin is soft, smooth, and glowy. Never looked better!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 12:11:00 AM More reviews by frankiedarling

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my absolute HG product! I use it as a facial moisturizer, and I will never buy a different moisturizer for as long as I live, amen. If they discontinue it, I will jump off a cliff. Here's a bit of a back story:

My skin is usually very clear, with a spot or two around 'that time of the month', but nothing serious. I tend to pick at my skin (shame on me), leaving me with a few pinkish scars on my chin. My main problem is blackheads on my nose, it seems no matter what I do I can't really get rid of them, but that's a story for another day. My t-zone tends to get quite oily throughout the day (the nose specifically), and it got to the point where my wiping off my nose in the middle of the day was commented on (embarrassing!).

I don't wear foundation, so I turned to moisturizers and primers for a solution to my issues, ranging from brands like L'Oreal, Nip + Fab, etc. Most promised an all day matte finish, silky smooth feeling, and would reduce the oiliness of my skin over time. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this site who knows those are lies!

In comes Josie Maran Argan Oil. I got a sample size through my ipsy subscription (a very generous Christmas gift from my brother -- score!) and immediately fell in love. There wasn't much of a smell at all, and it instantly gave my skin a beautiful glow; albeit a bit oily, but the excess was absorbed very quickly. After a few uses (every morning after washing my face, and occasionally in the evening if I remember) I noticed a big difference in my skin: my skin was constantly luminous, but definitely not oily, any little bumps or rough patches were smooth, my little scars were faded (still there, but much less noticeable), my blackheads were disappearing and (the best part!) my skin was not oily ALL DAY! Even on a hot day, during a workout, or even just a brisk walk home from school, my skin stayed PERFECT. Not one wipe necessary, no blotting papers, and no setting powder! Mind you, I do use Maybelline's FitMe powder occasionally to make my t-zone look a bit more matte than the rest of my face, but it really isn't necessary.

I finished the sample size pretty fast as you can imagine, so I ran out and bought the full size from Sephora -- for $60! Eep! (That's pricey for a student like me.) On the other hand, you get a lot for your money and even if you didn't, it's worth every penny. I've had my full size bottle for almost six months and I've only just hit the 3/4 full mark.

I highly, highly recommend it to anyone who might have a similar skin situation to mine (I can't speak for anyone else, obviously), and bonus! It's a multitasker! I rub any excess from my hands into my cuticles or use it to smooth flyaways and make my hair shiny.
All in all, this product is my be all and end all, HG all the way.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2013 9:34:00 AM More reviews by NancyM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

Compared to other oils I've used, this is heavy and just sits on my skin, doing nothing. It's overpriced because it's at Josie Maran product.

Skip this and try Tarte Maracuja Oil instead.

11/22/2013: Edit to add. I used this stuff yesterday (I have no idea why I still had some in my house) and it just greased up everything near it. I have fringe bangs and they were so greasy by midday that I had to put them in barrettes because they looked so disgusting. It's now the day after I put this on and I can still feel it sliming up my face. Horrible stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Kica

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I rec'd this in an IPSY bag and it was my first time using argan oil period. I LOVE this stuff! My skin had never looked better (ok with the exception of when I was regularly seeing a dermatologist). I did not break out whatsoever and my skin feels AWE-mazing. A little goes a long way. I even add this to my body lotion. The ONLY reason I won't buy JM again is because I found argan oil on Amazon for a MUCH better price (like 50% less) and have had the exact same results.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by iEndlessly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had the opportunity to try this product through my Ipsy bag subscription in January. I was very excited to try this product, especially after seeing so many raves about this!

I admit, I was skeptical. I already have acne-prone skin and I was afraid that if this Argan Oil did not work out for me... I would be expecting a terrible breakout! I was proven wrong, and I found that the Argan Oil is an excellent moisturizer! I find that it does take time to absorb in to the skin, so you may have to wait at least 2 or 3 minutes before you can apply primer or foundation or whatnot.

For me what made this product a favorite is how moisturizing it is. Recently I started to try Proactiv because of how badly I have been breaking out. Because I was using Proactiv, my skin (which is usually oil/combination) became super dry! After washing my face I could see my skin flake! I tried many moisturizers, including the once included with the skin treatment and nothing worked to hydrate my skin until I tried this product here. My skin dryness improved within two days and I am super impressed.

On the label it says that you could use this as a hair oil.... and though I have not tried it, I don't think it would be a good idea (just a speculation) because of how much of heavy substance this product is.

Since my sample from the Ipsy bag I have bought two full size bottles! I am currently going through the second one. Please note that this product is VERY expensive, holy moly. One full size bottle (for me) lasts around 2 months, and this is for using it twice a day (morning and night) everyday. This product has become part of my skin care routine.

Overall, I am satisfied with my purchase. The packaging could be improved though.... the bottle creates problems getting to the last bits of the oil once it's near the end!

To be honest, I this is my first 'Argan Oil' product, which may explain why I am so impressed. I have yet to try other similar products because I have read many comments that there are many cheaper ones that promise the same result!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2013 2:05:00 AM More reviews by Northstar5

Argan oil is a terrific substance although it's not quite as incredible as the hype would make it out to be. Used alone it can make your hair feel greasy and because it lacks silicone oil to make it spreadable, it is hard to distribute well in wet hair. On faces, it's great on my breakout prone, combination (oily here, dry and flaky there) skin. But it does not make your skin perfect, it isn't rich enough for very dry skin, and I think coconut oil is much better on your cuticles and as a body moisturizer (spreads better and is more lubricant, though it made my facial skin break out something fierce). I cannot stress enough that you have to use only a very small amount on your face. If you slather it on you're much more likely to break out. Just use a drop on your forehead and chin, a drop for your cheeks, and the warmth of your skin will make the oil 'melt' (not in a gross way!) and evenly cover your skin.

But the biggest problem I have with the Josie Maran oil is the blatant nature of the rip-off. It's actually shocking that they get away with it. I have found countless brands of the identical product (100% organic cold-pressed argan oil, which is all grown and processed in the same corner of Morocco, all with the same amount going to women's co-ops) at a fraction of the cost, easily available online. Everything---the product, the kind of packaging---is identical. I just bought a 60 ml bottle (a bit larger than Josie's 50 ml bottle) for $16 on a Canadian website.. Compare that to the $58 price tag of Josie's product, and she should be ashamed---and we should be embarrassed if we keep falling for it. I know MUA has a separate rating for price vs. the product itself, but in this case the obscene pricing is so blatant and so cynical that the whole thing merits a downgrade. The oil itself is a 4 or 5 lippie product. Try it. Just don't be taken for a ride by famous people who think we consumers are fools.

20 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by emmaqj

I have found this oil to be great for my skin. I tend to use quite a few exfoliating products, including retin a micro, and this seems to calm my skin, make it softer and reduce redness/dryness. My skin is normally combination, with both break outs at times and dryness at others. This appears to create the right balance. I have only started using this in the past few weeks and started out slowly (once every two days at most), but am now using it close to every day. I have not experienced any breakouts from this, although I do think there has been some slight "purging," which I view as a good thing. As I have not traditionally used oils on my skin, I can't compare this to other types of oils and/or less expensive versions of argan oil. I suspect there are equally effective ones out there, but given my positive experience with this so far, I will probably wait a while before I venture out to others. As noted, my skin has been prone to breakouts at times, so I would not let a fear of this keep you from at least trying the product. In my case, breakouts are reduced (likely by counter-balancing what is probably over-exfoliation on my part).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 10:44:00 PM More reviews by xClairex547

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this argan oil it does a great job of hydrating my skin and gives my skin a dewy glow. I like that this does not contain any thing but the argan oil (especially alcohol)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Josie Maran describes her 100% Pure Argan Oil as a legendary lightweight oil, grown organically in Morocco, is rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Use it as a fast absorbing daily moisturizer or to heal and condition everything from cuticles to split ends. Historically, Argan Oil has been used to treat acne, stretch marks, and skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis." I received a little 5ml (.17 fl oz) bottle in my January Ipsy Bag . Josie Maran offers three sizes of her Argan Oil, which ranges in price for $14 to $96. Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil is organic, vegan friendly, fragrance free, paraben free, and very beneficial to the Moroccan economy. Josie Maran products can be bought through the brand's website and at Sephora. Josie Maran claims that this oil is non-irritating, non allergenic, and clinically tested. This oil was harvested in Morocco.
My sample of Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil came in a grey box that offers lots of information on this oil, including some claims and a list of uses for this oil, as well as Josie Maran's personal beauty philosophy. The oil it's self is "housed in a recyclable glass bottle" with a dropper. The Josie Maran logo and product name are printed on the brown bottle. Both the bottle and the box are recyclable.
Not gonna lie, I was pretty skeptical about Argan Oil. Companies are putting it in EVERYTHING lately, I've even seen a hairdryer that was "argan infused". I always take the trendy new "miracle" ingredient with a grain of salt (and so should you). I tried Josie Maran's Argan Oil for all the suggested uses. I tried it in my hair and it made it horrendously greasy. I tried it on my face and didn't feel like it was any more or less effective or beneficial than your average moisturizer. I tried this oil on my nails and cuticle...and well, nothing can help them, they're too far gone. I was ready to give up on Josie Maran's Argan Oil, it just didn't wow me no matter how I used it. Before I truly gave up hope on this oil, I googled some other uses and found a website that suggested using Argan Oil as a lash growth serum. I gave it a soht and wow! My lashes seem much healthier, they don't fall out as often, so my lashes seem to grow longer and fuller than they did before I started applying Argan Oil to them on a nightly basis. My lashes also seem to hold a curl better!
I'm pretty pleased with the results I experienced when I used Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil as a lash serum, it's more effective than both olive oil and vaseline. Otherwise, I find this natural oil to be pretty overrated. I much prefer Bhringraj and Pequi oils for my hair, and I'm content with my current moisturizers, so I likely won't purchase this oil. If you're interested in Argan Oil, I encourage you to try the 15ml size, which sells for a wallet friendly $14. Don't let my kinda negative review deter you from trying Josie Maran's 100% Pure Argan Oil, it seems to work out for almost everyone, in one way or another.