November 24, 2014 | 844 users online

Fragrances - Calvin Klein - Obsession

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2007 4:43:00 PM More reviews by luloo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Strong and musky and dated.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2007 8:45:00 AM More reviews by sunshine824

I bought a trial size EDP bottle of this at a local drugstore. I remembered liking the scent of Obsession on men, so maybe I'd like Obsession for women on me.

When I first spritz it on it smells, well, cheap. Like some cheap fragrance you could get from a dollar store. Not like a designer perfume. It was harsh and "alcohol"y. The alcohol and harshness settled a bit and it began to smell a bit warm and sweet. Not bad, but the "cheap" note was still there. It dried down to Play-Doh on me. I never understood how people would say a scent turns to "Play-Doh" on them, but now I do. And to me, it's *very* unpleasant. If I want to smell like Play-Doh I'll smear some on my body and keep some stuffed in my bra.

Packaging was ok. The scent had one or two good moments but not worth the reputation or price tag for the cheap scent that moves into Play-Doh. I would not repurchase.

Edited because I accidentally gave it too many lippies.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2007 6:46:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have sampled this over and over in the past few months but have come to the sad conclusion that I cannot wear this - it just does not smell 'right' on me. It takes on a mustiness in the base that is reminiscent of extremely old leather shoes or luggage. I do like it on others - on one woman I know who wears it almost daily, it smells almost like Shalimar - a darker Shalimar perhaps. But on me, currently, it's a mess. I will continue to sample this from time to time and perhaps someday in the future this might work with my chemistry. If/when that day comes, I would be glad to get myself a little bottle of this.
UPDATE: The day has finally arrived! Recently, on a very hot day, I put a little spritz on my wrist and spread it out over a few pulse points... now I am loving Obsession like never before - it smells sweet and spicy and rich and I find myself positively intrigued by this scent. Raised my rating, will definitely purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2007 7:22:00 PM More reviews by biker

I love the smell of this perfume!! I also have Must De Cartier and can note some of a resemblence between the two. I wear it in cooler months and never seen a nose 'wrinkle in disgust' from the scent! I think its sexy and sultry! I also like Dior Addict, Samsara, Opium, Angel, and Euphoria. And so what if Obsession is so-called "80's" Its a heck of alot better than some of the crap thats out today!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2007 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Rocki

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The present Obsession is NOWHERE as good as the original. I wore that, when it first came out, and it was beautiful, and sensual. Now, it does smell like a cheaper version like MELLONEY said. The perfume companies, are changing their original formulas to smell similar, but they are not as good. Hypnotic Poison (Dior) did that, Opium, (Yves St. Laurent) Halston, and most of the older fragrances I once owned & loved for many years. My 91 year old mom still wears it, but her sense of smell is off, nuff said...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2007 1:28:00 PM More reviews by myfix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've looked high and low for that perfect fragrance. It all started when I was 13 and picked up my very first fragrance, jovan musk oil. Since then I have loved the power of a wonderful fragrance. How you can associate a time, place, or person by just a light breeze. . . but in all the fragrances I have collected and worn over the years, (I'm 45 now) this is the one I rely on the most - it's also the one I receive the most compliments on.
For me it starts out spicy warm with powdery undertones. There's a hint of rich soapiness yet it's intensely feminine. Later it is caramel like, but definitely not foody. It clings to you all day and lasts like no other perfume. It is not for the shy girl as it draws people near to you.
I love Obsession and hope Calvin Klein makes it forever. I have purchased this over and over and will always have a bottle.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2007 12:06:00 PM More reviews by syltetyta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I don't like the habit of "dating" fragrances. What does the 50's and 30's smell like? Or 2005? When you truly love a scent, you'll love it whichever year it's from.
I love my Obsession, and it will remind me of the period of time I wore it - which is now. It will remind me of situations, settings, persons I met, and the dress I wore. When I open my closet, Obsession will greet me with a "yes, today too" and I will stroll around on my own beautiful and comfortable, snuggly yet sophisticated, feminine but edgy, confident and sexy cloud of softness with a twist. This scent is timeless, as with all fragrances.
I don't get the hype - you use a fragrance not because you love it, but because it's trendy to love it? Next year you'll love something else? That concept of fragrance doesn't work for me.
Fragrance is (or should be) a mood thing, maybe one or more signature scents. Sometimes you grow tired of it, or your body chemistry changes.
But if you really love a scent you'll never characterize it as "outdated"
That's my opinion anyway.
I'm looking forward to wear my Obsession, my Pure Poison, my Cinema, my Shalimar, and my Rapture and many others at the retirement home - turning the heads of distinguished old gentlemen - in my wheelchair named Desire.....

Update: Ingredients - mandarin, bergamot, green notes, jasmine, orange blossom, coriander, basil, sandalwood, amber, vetiver, musk and incense.
I'm an oriental-floral/woody girl. If you're a fruity-floral gal, you probably won't like this.

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2007 2:11:00 AM More reviews by christietx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Luscious. This is one of those fragrances I'm always happy to wear. It's full bodied but not overpowering.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by jamejame

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Had an ex who wore this in the 80's - along with his sunglasses at night and that jaded expression Robert Downey Jr. had in all of his 80's movies. This cologne is very much like that ex, overbearing and obnoxious and something happily left behind in that era.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2007 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Fabfame

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is warm, smoky and very sexy. It is a very strong fragrance so I dont recommend spaying it directly onto your skin. You will choke everyone in a 5 mile radius. I spritz the air then walk through it. The result is truly seductive. I am surprised I like this as much as I do. Its definitely not a fragrance for everyone.