Calvin Klein Obsession

3.6

on 12/11/2007 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is ok, but was OTT for my style, I prefer fresh clean light scents and this is very musky and woody and to dark for me. Got it cause my SO loves it, but I never find anywhere appropriate to wear it. This bottle will certainly turn to alcohol before I get halfway through it.

on 11/16/2007 5:32:00 PM

After smelling this in a magazine, I decided to test it at the fragrance counter earlier today. Yuck. I know fragrance is very dependent on personal chemistry, but this scent is terrible on me. It smells very (very!) warm to me and has a hint of spice that reminds me of men's cologne. For someone who likes heavier scents this might be nice, but this just goes a little too far for my taste.

on 11/16/2007 1:24:00 AM

This is one of those that either smells great or gawd-awful on people. Fortunately I'm in the former group -- this is gorgeous and sexy on me. Definitely a heavier scent so I only wear it during the colder months, but I love it. Yes, it reminds me of the 80s, but I think fragrances "read" differently on different people, and this one has always been good for me.

on 11/10/2007 7:44:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

Love it! On me it has a deep vanilla scent mixed with a bit of spice, very sexy. I agree about dating fragrances.. what gives? I am 22 and love this scent, just as much as I love scents by Stila! It all depends on your mood and how it smells on you, not the year! I will continue to purchase this fragrance for years to come no matter what year it is =)

on 11/1/2007 4:43:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Strong and musky and dated.

on 8/26/2007 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I bought a trial size EDP bottle of this at a local drugstore. I remembered liking the scent of Obsession on men, so maybe I'd like Obsession for women on me.

When I first spritz it on it smells, well, cheap. Like some cheap fragrance you could get from a dollar store. Not like a designer perfume. It was harsh and "alcohol"y. The alcohol and harshness settled a bit and it began to smell a bit warm and sweet. Not bad, but the "cheap" note was still there. It dried down to Play-Doh on me. I never understood how people would say a scent turns to "Play-Doh" on them, but now I do. And to me, it's *very* unpleasant. If I want to smell like Play-Doh I'll smear some on my body and keep some stuffed in my bra.

Packaging was ok. The scent had one or two good moments but not worth the reputation or price tag for the cheap scent that moves into Play-Doh. I would not repurchase.

Edited because I accidentally gave it too many lippies.

on 8/25/2007 6:46:00 PM

I have sampled this over and over in the past few months but have come to the sad conclusion that I cannot wear this - it just does not smell 'right' on me. It takes on a mustiness in the base that is reminiscent of extremely old leather shoes or luggage. I do like it on others - on one woman I know who wears it almost daily, it smells almost like Shalimar - a darker Shalimar perhaps. But on me, currently, it's a mess. I will continue to sample this from time to time and perhaps someday in the future this might work with my chemistry. If/when that day comes, I would be glad to get myself a little bottle of this.
UPDATE: The day has finally arrived! Recently, on a very hot day, I put a little spritz on my wrist and spread it out over a few pulse points... now I am loving Obsession like never before - it smells sweet and spicy and rich and I find myself positively intrigued by this scent. Raised my rating, will definitely purchase.

on 8/23/2007 7:22:00 PM

I love the smell of this perfume!! I also have Must De Cartier and can note some of a resemblence between the two. I wear it in cooler months and never seen a nose 'wrinkle in disgust' from the scent! I think its sexy and sultry! I also like Dior Addict, Samsara, Opium, Angel, and Euphoria. And so what if Obsession is so-called "80's" Its a heck of alot better than some of the crap thats out today!!!!

on 7/6/2007 1:29:00 PM

The present Obsession is NOWHERE as good as the original. I wore that, when it first came out, and it was beautiful, and sensual. Now, it does smell like a cheaper version like MELLONEY said. The perfume companies, are changing their original formulas to smell similar, but they are not as good. Hypnotic Poison (Dior) did that, Opium, (Yves St. Laurent) Halston, and most of the older fragrances I once owned & loved for many years. My 91 year old mom still wears it, but her sense of smell is off, nuff said...

on 5/11/2007 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've looked high and low for that perfect fragrance. It all started when I was 13 and picked up my very first fragrance, jovan musk oil. Since then I have loved the power of a wonderful fragrance. How you can associate a time, place, or person by just a light breeze. . . but in all the fragrances I have collected and worn over the years, (I'm 45 now) this is the one I rely on the most - it's also the one I receive the most compliments on.
For me it starts out spicy warm with powdery undertones. There's a hint of rich soapiness yet it's intensely feminine. Later it is caramel like, but definitely not foody. It clings to you all day and lasts like no other perfume. It is not for the shy girl as it draws people near to you.
I love Obsession and hope Calvin Klein makes it forever. I have purchased this over and over and will always have a bottle.