September 20, 2014 | 1508 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by tamedDOLL

I started taking biotin because I am desperate for longer hair, as i cut almost 6 inches off a few months back. I also want my eyebrows to grow faster, so I can change the shape.
2 weeks:
So I have been taking biotin at 500mcg during the first week, and 750mcg the second week. I am now taking 1000mcg, and will probably go up to ~ 5000 mcg in the future. My nails already grow at a pretty good rate, but I think biotin helps them grow even faster, but not stronger(yet). I also feel like my eyelashes are ever so slightly longer. I haven't noticed it has done anything for my skin or hair length. I feel like I'm finally getting over the teenage acne stage but I still have somewhat acne-prone skin: blackheads on my nose, and a couple of pimples on my forehead or cheek, but I haven't noticed any additional breakouts. I usually take my dose of biotin with a multivitamin, and I make sure I drink enough water daily.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2012 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I looked into this not for hair at all, but to see if it would have any positive benefit on my skin or nails (I pick at them way too much).

Every day after I take 1000mg of Biotin, I break out the next day. The first day, nothing happens. But the next day my I have acne. It's not huge ones, but it's enough to realize the two are connected. Lots of tiny ones and/or clogged skin. I can't continue trying it to see if it does anything special due to how fast it brings on acne. And about the fact that drinking lots of water may offset the acne property - I don't really like the taste of water (filtered, bottled, tap, etc) so I don't want to have to drink tons of water either.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2012 3:27:00 PM More reviews by cutepoms

I seriously do not recommend anyone to take biotin if you have acne. Biotin really make you erupt in bad cystic acne. As for me, after took biotin for just two days, I had horrible acne. Normally, if we're to breakout I just have very small whiteheads. However, after I had took biotin for couple days, I had huge size pimples. The pimples were the size of a pea. I would rather have thin hair over bad skn. Please do not try biotin if you have a history of getting pimples. Biotin will seriously aggravate it a whole lot more.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by dtrautz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I chopped my hair off to my shoulders in the summer and of course, regretted it as usual. So I thought hmm let me try this biotin I hear about online. So I bought Hair Skin and Nails vitamins with biotin in it.

After 2 weeks of taking it, my already thick hair grew a lot thicker (downside), but my hair did start to grow, and my nails grew like crazy! They were so strong and didn't chip or break. Needless to say I was excited.

Until I realized how bad my face was breaking out along the jaw line and my cheeks. My boyfriend even said wow are you on your period? And I had my period when I started Biotin. So I read that you have to drink tons of water with it, I did. I drank like 12 cups of water a day (yes I ended up using the bathroom ALOT) Even then, my breakouts were unbearable.

They were cystic pimples (which I haven't gotten since I was a teenager), they hurt so bad that if I laid on my side at night my entire face would ache because of the pimples I had. No joke.

So about 4 days ago I stopped taking the biotin although I loved my nail and hair results. And my skin is clearing up so much that it's ridiculous. I had pimples all over my face to the point that I was embarassed to leave the house without three layers of cover-up on. I read online people said you need to even out the biotin with Vitamin B6 Pills or whatever and I already take iron pills (anemic) and took the two huge horse biotin pills. So I wasn't going to add another vitamin in.

Also, the vitamins were HUGE and tasted terrible. I could barely get them down without gagging. I do not reccomend this to anyone with acne prone skin even if it's just horomonal breakouts that you get. The acne isn't worth the nice skin and thick longer hair.

So overall, skin had huge cystic aching acne, already thick hair was unbearble (barely able to brush it), but had nice thick nails and hair was growing a bit. I mean it wasn't much faster than usually.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 3:20:00 AM More reviews by Nirita

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm so happy I found out about Biotin. My hair has grown so much healthier. It feels thicker, softer, bouncier, more hydrated etc.
Due to the fact that my hair regimen is so strict and I have so many factors contributing to my hair growth, I can't say exactly how many inches I've gained with Biotin, however after 3 weeks I noticed thicker eyelashes, slightly thicker eyebrows, and my hair was also an extra inch and a half or so - so I'm guessing it could have been the Biotin.
I haven't experienced crucial breakouts with Biotin, I already have bad acne anyways. My water intake is pretty high, and I always try to eat a meal before I take Biotin, as it absorbs into the body better when it feeds off of other nutrients in the body, so I've heard.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by mia92jie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So I bought Spring Valleys 1000 mcg Biotin. About three months ago I cut almost 10 inches of my hair off because it was dry and thinning. And my hair also grows so freaking slow. Call me impatient. I bought the biotin for my hair because its got so thin. Which became even worse due to a poor diet, stress, plus I never got trims. I've been taking two 1000 mcg a day for almost a month and I swear I already see results. I haven't noticed any hair growth but I noticed a few days ago that it feels silky and its more bouncy. It hasn't felt this healthy since I was little! I haven't seen a difference in my nails. The number one reason I'm going to keep taking biotin is because there's hardly any hair in my brushes! Before the biotin, I hardly ever brushed my hair because of how much it fell out. Now there's NEXT TO NO hair fall! Its amazing and it makes me so happy! I love brushing my hair because its been a while. I also drink multiple glasses of water everyday so I think that's why I haven't experienced any bad breakouts. But I totally recommend this to anyone. The Spring Valley 1000 mcg Biotin is cheap. You get 150 of them and they're really easy to swallow. I wonder why I haven't always taken this stuff! So good luck, I hope everyones results are as good as mine! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by preciousfudge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Biotin Works really great, i take them everyday and drink water ... trust me the more you drink water the faster the biotin work in your body.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by kikidoll27

My mom and I have both been taking these, and I believe it's worked better for her than for me. I have seriously acne prone skin, while she doesn't. For her, it's done a little for her hair and a lot for her nails. For me, it helped make my hair longer and stronger (but I have natrually thick hair, so it's no big deal for me) and my nails grow faster. But this made me break out! And I only just attributated it to this, which stinks, because I liked these. Now, I gave it a 4/5 because it does everything for me that it's supossed to do, but it really made me break out. It you are not acne prone, I would reccomend it, but if you are prone to breakouts, this may not be for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by makeuptianna

This is a great product. Promotes healthy skin and nails but it is a must that you drink alot of water with this product. If not you will have acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2012 5:57:00 PM More reviews by macadelic

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Life saver! I use the one by Nature Made, I think I got it for like $8 for the small bottle (forget how much is in it) and it has lasted FOREVER. Almost 2 months, which is pretty good for such a small bottle. I purchased this after a very bad hair cut and my hair has grown so fast. I haven't noticed any difference in my hair or skin but that's okay. I take two a day.