July 28, 2014 | 1049 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my go to paint point when I'm looking for a matte, nude base. I can use paint points without a seperate primer underneath and they last great. This can also be used as a wash of color to even out the darkness on my eye lids. Love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE Painterly. I went to the Mac counter to buy Ochre paint pot, but the sales girl recommended Painterly. I love it because it's quick and easy to apply with my finger (preferred) or a brush. I like to wear it alone with liner and that's it -- my favorite go-to nude eye. It also does hold shadows when you layer them on top. Nice eye primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by surfinjan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I fell into the hype on this one and purchased it without even trying it first.

Let me say, there are those that love this product, but I am not among them. The color is great and I can wear it as an eyeshadow as well as a base against my NC40/42 skin. However, I have slightly oily eyelids and the product does crease on me. It loses its staying power on me after just an hour. I should mention that I couldn't wear eyeshadow for years because of this problem, but most modern day primers work very well on me as a base and primer. Painterly does not.

Color: Nude beige. Fairly universal. Appears as nude on lighter skin tones. Will appear as a soft fawn color on skin that is NC40 and above.

Texture: Painterly is not soft and silky. it has to be warmed to work on my lids. I always want to use a gentle touch on my lids but on colder days, this requires a more aggressive hand. I do HAVE to use my finger as a brush will not grab enough product. Once warm it will spread on the eye - but with less ease than liquid primers. It isn't exactly smooth either.

Finish/Appearance: Painterly does look very nice on the eye. It seems opaque on the eye and covers the fine blue vein on my lid.

Grabbing/Holding Power - colors do glide on more smoothly over Painterly. The shadows just don't last very long before they begin to crease on me, which is actually
LESS time than I would crease without a base.

Packaging: glass container. Somewhat heavy and fragile but sleek and modern.

Packaging:

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Fastnfuriouschick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used Painterly every day as a primer for my eyelids and it is amazing. My makeup stays on until I am ready to remove it at night. I was able to use every bit of the product from the jar, nothing was wasted. I highly recommend this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by 03Lauren

This product is a holy grail to me and I'm not easily impressed. Especially not when it comes to primers or any base products on my eyes because I have oily eyelids. Used primers from UDPP to the ELF one but really nothing beats the paint pot and will stay with this one for a long, long time.
- Packaging and application: it's obviously a pot so I prefer using a brush to avoid any extra bacteria from my fingers getting in to it. Honestly the easiest to apply with my fingers on my eyelids, so I actually only take it out with a brush on the back of my hand and then tapping it on my eyelids. I'd recommend cleaning your hands really good to avoid extra oil or anything thats on your fingers, because it will then stick to the product and on your eyelids, which isn't a good thing in any case but especially not with oily eyelids. Product is soft and feels smooth. Gets dry just how I like it, you can still work with it but doesn't run in any way.
- Color/conceal: flawless nude and matte base to work with, no shimmer, fantastic for fair complexion like me, it's basically your own color but better, it evens out your skin tone and covers up any discoloration. I use it from the lash line all the way up to my brow. Also use it underneath my bottom lash line as close as I can for my eyeshadow there and connect it at the sides. So firstly it works almost as a concealer in a way, although I don't use it as such underneath my eyes, I use it like it is a concealer underneath my brows to define and I have some red tones on my eyelids I'm covering up at the same time.
- Primer: best thing I ever used. My eyeshadow doesn't move all day all night. No creasing, nothing. This is really the main thing why I got this product and it does an excellent job. Let it dry a little though before putting on your eyeshadow. My eyeshadow colors seem to come out much prettier aswell with this underneath and eyeshadow goes on better.
Would recommend it to people with fair skin, if you have (slightly) oily eyelids and/or if you want a flawless base to work with. Works great aswell in a hurry, only time for mascara and maybe a black liner, just use this first and it already looks way better. Takes less time than putting on eyeshadow. Quick and easy. I would forever buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2013 2:58:00 PM More reviews by jaylee78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I LOVE this product!! I basically use it as a primer/base for my shadow as I used to have a lot of problems with creasing. This stuff not only evens out the color on my lid, but keeps my eyeshadow from creasing all day long.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2013 2:48:00 AM More reviews by Branjiebelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have fair skin (which this shade suits) and I am completely dependant on this every day. I used to use foundation or concealer to even out the skintone of my eyelids but these can crease, fade or provide the wrong colour for this area. The application of Painterly isn't completely idiot proof. You do need to apply it thinly and quite quickly or you can end up with cakey eyelids. If you apply it quickly and in a nice thin layer (with your fingertips), you will be left with a good level of coverage that will not crease or cake, and it will last all day. I often apply a skin tone shadow on top which gives further coverage and helps with blending any extra shadows I apply. For this I use the NYX shadow called Lap Dance which is a perfect match with Painterly. I also apply Urban Decay's Primer potion, not because I need it for staying power, but this makes the fine lines on my eyelids less obvious. I have used Painterly daily for about 10 weeks and have barely made dent in the pot. It's actually amazing value for money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 7:15:00 AM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Dear MAC Paint Pot's....I am a believer! I am absolutely smitten with this product. This is my second one, my first purchase was Bare Study and I absolutely fell in love with it. The quality of these paint pots surpass any cream eyesahdow/base/primer I have ever tried. I've tried things from NYX's Eyeshadow Base to Urban Decay's Primer Potion and NYX's MIlk. I am an NC30, maybe even an NC35 if I'm super tan on a good day and this looks amazing on my skin tone. I was unsure of the undertone because I heard it had more of a pink or peach undertone, but I can't really see that. It definitely takes the place of concealer or foundation and covers my veins/purplish-blue from my eyelids. It makes me look polished and awake. It definitely brightens up my eye area. The texture is so creamy and amazing and it truly last for hours with no creasing/flaking/wearing off. It makes my eyeshadow look more pigmented and definitely keeps my eyeshadow perfect even if I sleep in it, which has saved my ass on days I fall asleep with my make up on and wake up late for work. For 18.50$ it seems a bit steep, but for the quality of this product it is beyond worth it, and i you think about it this will probably last well over a year!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by quickbrownfox

I use this every day. It has a beautiful nude color and also it makes my eye make up stay put the whole day. This is a good product for an everyday look and if I'm feeling adventurous I mix it up with Bare Study -which is a sheerer (and maybe teeny tiny bit pinker) version of Painterly. I think with this my make-up goes to the next level, it completes everything and my eye make up looks perfect. BUT, MAC, what kind of a packaging is this? If you don't use this everyday, it will get dried up like a stone. First it gets all cracked up and then it's unusable. I have 4 colors of paint pots, Painterly is the one that I use the most so it went dry slower than the others- but it still did. This is my third paint pot drying up like that. I'm using it like it's recommended, I keep it downwards in my make up drawer with the lid firmly closed. If they are recommending us to keep it in a special way, they are aware that paint pots dry up like crazy. So, MAC, how about changing the packaging to a better, non-product-drying box, instead of us recommending us tips to keep it from drying?

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 5:13:00 PM More reviews by mom2puddin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a wonderful product! I love that it totally conceals any redness or discoloration on my eyelids and provides a wonderful, uniform base to apply my shadows. I usually apply a primer underneath to provide longer wear. It's one of the few paint pots that I feel looks good on me all the time, and I love that it's matte without looking "dry." Plus, I feel like it really brightens my eyes. Definitely a must have!