November 23, 2014 | 1992 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by yoyolanda

You got to buy 1. organic 2. cold pressed 3. extra virgin to see any results. Otherwise I use this head to toe. It's great for the breasts too.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2013 2:04:00 AM More reviews by pinkstrawberii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin and was recommended coconut oil by a friend of mine who used it as a cleanser and got great results. It worked well for the first 2 days then it started drying out my skin like crazy as well as make my skin blotchy & a few white heads were appearing. I thought maybe my skin was going through a transition period so I stuck it out for approximately a week and a half more. My skin was even worse than ever!! Had to stop and it took WEEKS for my skin to heal from the damage. :(
However, I still use coconut oil as a body moisturizer! I just slather it on after a shower and it leaves me skin feeling SO smooth and not irritated (have eczema). It absorbs fairly quickly too and doesn't leave my skin feeling heavy and gross.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2013 1:21:00 AM More reviews by thisisnothollywood

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Tried this on my dry skin, I have blackheads and whiteheads and can get zits...it was waaaaaay too oily for my skin and broke me out... UGH.
Would be good though for hands body etc but it is hard to scrape it out of the tub.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by sugarfreepersonality

Since there are three coconut oil review boards, I'll start with this: all the coconut oil I use is cold pressed, unrefined, extra virgin organic coconut oil. And I use it for my hair! My fine, easily damaged hair... and let me say, coconut oil works wonders for hair. I coat my hair in it every night, root to tip, and it feels so much softer and looks healthy/shiny when I wash it all out. You won't find a better deep conditioner than this, and it's unquestionably good for your hair. Coconut oil is one of the only oils proven to actually penetrate the hair shaft. When I use it, I coat my hands in oil and make sure to cover my hair with it- starting at the ends, and concentrating most of it there. Once I'm sure every strand is covered, I lay a small towel/sheet over my pillow and keep the oil on overnight (if you have longer hair, you may want to braid it). I don't only use it at night, though- I've also used it to protect my hair during swim practices, at the waterpark, on vacation (lots of UV ray exposure), and even at school... Although many people will attest to coconut oil's benefits for skin and acne, I actually find that it always causes acne at the hairline on my forehead, temples, etc. I don't mind much because acne at the hairline is hardly visible, but it is annoying and can be painful.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by alisonst

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay so I have determined that my body just does not like coconut oil. at. all. I can say that without a doubt coconut oil gave me the worst hair day of my life. My hair looked like it was soaking in oil all day, my roommate was actually confused as to why my hair was not drying after the shower I pretended I had just taken out of embarrassment. I tried it a few times because I`m not about to just give up and each time it was just terrible. I tried it on my skin also with bad results. It just never sunk in! I tried on my feet, elbows, everywhere, it just sat on my skin until it smeared off on my clothes.

I`m super glad this works for so many people and I wanted to love it so badly but I just can`t! Other products that contain coconut oil also do not work for me, same results, so I`m just going to stay away from it from now on. If anyone else is in this boat with me I would recommend trying shea butter!! It is a life saver for me, I love it and all products that are based on it! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love coconut oil! I have sensitive- eczema skin and it DID break me out for like a week but for some odd reason it didn't click to myself that it was this that caused it, LOL. I wasn't using anything else either, just this. So I just kept on keeping on with it and my skin got used to it.
Oh my gosh please whatever you do, if you shave with coconut oil, please do a small patch test somewhere. I broke out into hives all over my legs it was scary and painful and burned.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by makelmg

There are a million uses for this stuff but I initially bought it for my baby's eczema. Stupid me didn't do a test patch and lathered it all over his body. He broke out so bad! Even worse than before and I also put it all over myself and I'm allergic as well! It made me so itchy which is a bummer cause it made my skin feel awesome. Crap! However I still love it on my hair (just make sure to shampoo twice to get it all out). It's also lovely for cooking (especially in brownies yum!!) my husband also swears by this stuff for shaving oil. He uses as shaving cream and after he shaves. This product is great just beware because apparently it's common to be allergic! Just sucks for me I guess.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by congo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been eating evco for years in my steel cut oats for its nutritional value. I also use it for oil pulling and I have cured athletes foot with it. I got into the natural, organic skin care craze a few years back, using oil on wet skin and " sealing" it with different butters such as shea. It is my opinion that having oil on your face dries out your skin over time. Your skin stops producing its natural oils because there is always some sort of oil always there, your skin feels good when the oil is on it but when it is bare it is dry. I also believe that HA's dry out the skin also, over time. I am able to use evco on my feet and neck without a problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by lovelymallie

I have dry and damaged hair, and I have been loving coconut oil for my hair lately! 30 min. before I shower, I take some of this on my hair. Then I just wash my hair like normal! If your hair is still really dry, you can apply it to the ends of your damp hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 8:44:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I echo what many have said here regarding all the positive benefits from using EVCO, and have my own to add. I don't use this as a facial cleansing oil but do use it in the shower as part of my cleasning routine to help remove self tanner.

I find it works better than anything else for me and that includes actual products made specifically for that purpose. It works best in conjunction with scrubby type gloves/mitt, or cloth (MUA loves one called Salux, I've not tried that brand myself, just a knockoff which does the trick just fine). If I've got some streaking or simply want to remove self tanner, I rub in the oil really well, sometimes before bed, then in the shower apply more oil to the wet scrubby mitt or cloth, and its gone. I'd say about 95% to all (depends on my efforts too!). Despite needing that bit of scrubbing, my skin is not chaffed nor feeling wind-burnt after like when I'd scrub it normally to remove st or an offening streak, using scrubs, or scrubby gloves/mitt, even when I used moisturizing body washes. I've also tried other oils but for some reason this works best.

In fact I learned about this because I have a condition that causes my moisture glands to die. I have no natural moisture barrier on my skin, nor can any product truly replicate that. But hope springs eternal so I began using EVCO as a step in moisturizing during Winter, after showering. I can use it alone as its emolient enough, not a dry oil, When Spring came a few yrs back I noticed my self tanner was not staying put. Normally with my dry skin its so hard to remove! I had actually already tried using oils to break down self tanner prior to this with minimal results.

Now I'm pretty adept at using self tanners having used them for about 20 years; I'm in my mid 40's and still evading Father Time by not getting real tans, instead using sunscreen all this time and that's despite having a condition that leaves me bone dry. But I'm always trying to find the next best thing at the lowest cost so I try new things, esp on sale and sometimes there is a learning curve even though I feel confident I could teach a class on st application at the Learning Annex if asked lol.

While I'm at it, an AHA body lotion helps too. I began using one last summer and yes, helps to remove st even quicker yet doesn't seem to effect how long it stays on my skin unless I make the effort to get rid of it.
In fact I now apply an AHA/BHA lotion only at night, over my st, this helps me avoid streaks which still occur somtimes despite due diligence.

I love EVCO as a winter moisturizer, also using some then under my arms which is said (I'm no scientist folks, I just research a lot trying to make my skin comfortable) to inhibit bacterial growth, which can mean less odor.

The same condition effecting my skin also is internal and my gastroenterology doctor has told me to eat some EVCO daily to prevent yeast overgrowth which I'm now prone to, especially when I'm on antibiotics, even when also taking probiotics. So I often use it as my cooking oil and/or add to coffee, the warmth really feels great on my always dry chapped lips, seems to help the oil absorb better on them. I like it by the spoonful to be honest.

On that note, it works well as a personal lubricant. I won't say more but its anti bacterial, anti fungal properties sold me on that front.

I have as you might imagine, very dry, pourous hair. It absorbs too much oil actually to use this as a mask since that means I must wash twice with clarifying shampoos to remove it, thereby leaving me with hay, not hair, defeating the purpose. However, I can use a scant amount as a leave in. I'm talking a drop or 2. Works well if I've been over zealous with hairspray to remove the crunch but still leave some hold, on my very wavy hair.

I love the smell, especially Nutiva brand (n/a) but its costly so I now buy the Trader Joe's which also smells and works well at a fraction of the cost, no affiliation there either.

I feel I should add my "Henry Beamis clause" here. Basically if I like or love a product it will a) become discontinued or b) will cause me a biblical worthy plague of boils once I've heaped praise upon it. In phonetic Yiddish its called giving something or someone, "kuna hura." Your milage may vary, patch test new products people, saves some heartache-ive learned the hard way. But I've used this long enough to write a book like this and feel by now it likely won't kill me.

(I love the stuff but am trying not to wreak the wrath of kuna hura here lol). One great thing about oils and why I find them cost effective even of they don't work as intended for some, is they can always be used on your feet or to cook with (if food grade) etc. Polish furniture, etc. I smell like Almond Joy after using this, could be worse;)

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No