October 20, 2014 | 1123 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by sugarfreepersonality

Since there are three coconut oil review boards, I'll start with this: all the coconut oil I use is cold pressed, unrefined, extra virgin organic coconut oil. And I use it for my hair! My fine, easily damaged hair... and let me say, coconut oil works wonders for hair. I coat my hair in it every night, root to tip, and it feels so much softer and looks healthy/shiny when I wash it all out. You won't find a better deep conditioner than this, and it's unquestionably good for your hair. Coconut oil is one of the only oils proven to actually penetrate the hair shaft. When I use it, I coat my hands in oil and make sure to cover my hair with it- starting at the ends, and concentrating most of it there. Once I'm sure every strand is covered, I lay a small towel/sheet over my pillow and keep the oil on overnight (if you have longer hair, you may want to braid it). I don't only use it at night, though- I've also used it to protect my hair during swim practices, at the waterpark, on vacation (lots of UV ray exposure), and even at school... Although many people will attest to coconut oil's benefits for skin and acne, I actually find that it always causes acne at the hairline on my forehead, temples, etc. I don't mind much because acne at the hairline is hardly visible, but it is annoying and can be painful.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by alisonst

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay so I have determined that my body just does not like coconut oil. at. all. I can say that without a doubt coconut oil gave me the worst hair day of my life. My hair looked like it was soaking in oil all day, my roommate was actually confused as to why my hair was not drying after the shower I pretended I had just taken out of embarrassment. I tried it a few times because I`m not about to just give up and each time it was just terrible. I tried it on my skin also with bad results. It just never sunk in! I tried on my feet, elbows, everywhere, it just sat on my skin until it smeared off on my clothes.

I`m super glad this works for so many people and I wanted to love it so badly but I just can`t! Other products that contain coconut oil also do not work for me, same results, so I`m just going to stay away from it from now on. If anyone else is in this boat with me I would recommend trying shea butter!! It is a life saver for me, I love it and all products that are based on it! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love coconut oil! I have sensitive- eczema skin and it DID break me out for like a week but for some odd reason it didn't click to myself that it was this that caused it, LOL. I wasn't using anything else either, just this. So I just kept on keeping on with it and my skin got used to it.
Oh my gosh please whatever you do, if you shave with coconut oil, please do a small patch test somewhere. I broke out into hives all over my legs it was scary and painful and burned.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by makelmg

There are a million uses for this stuff but I initially bought it for my baby's eczema. Stupid me didn't do a test patch and lathered it all over his body. He broke out so bad! Even worse than before and I also put it all over myself and I'm allergic as well! It made me so itchy which is a bummer cause it made my skin feel awesome. Crap! However I still love it on my hair (just make sure to shampoo twice to get it all out). It's also lovely for cooking (especially in brownies yum!!) my husband also swears by this stuff for shaving oil. He uses as shaving cream and after he shaves. This product is great just beware because apparently it's common to be allergic! Just sucks for me I guess.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by congo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been eating evco for years in my steel cut oats for its nutritional value. I also use it for oil pulling and I have cured athletes foot with it. I got into the natural, organic skin care craze a few years back, using oil on wet skin and " sealing" it with different butters such as shea. It is my opinion that having oil on your face dries out your skin over time. Your skin stops producing its natural oils because there is always some sort of oil always there, your skin feels good when the oil is on it but when it is bare it is dry. I also believe that HA's dry out the skin also, over time. I am able to use evco on my feet and neck without a problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by lovelymallie

I have dry and damaged hair, and I have been loving coconut oil for my hair lately! 30 min. before I shower, I take some of this on my hair. Then I just wash my hair like normal! If your hair is still really dry, you can apply it to the ends of your damp hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 8:44:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I echo what many have said here regarding all the positive benefits from using EVCO, and have my own to add. I don't use this as a facial cleansing oil but do use it in the shower as part of my cleasning routine to help remove self tanner.

I find it works better than anything else for me and that includes actual products made specifically for that purpose. It works best in conjunction with scrubby type gloves/mitt, or cloth (MUA loves one called Salux, I've not tried that brand myself, just a knockoff which does the trick just fine). If I've got some streaking or simply want to remove self tanner, I rub in the oil really well, sometimes before bed, then in the shower apply more oil to the wet scrubby mitt or cloth, and its gone. I'd say about 95% to all (depends on my efforts too!). Despite needing that bit of scrubbing, my skin is not chaffed nor feeling wind-burnt after like when I'd scrub it normally to remove st or an offening streak, using scrubs, or scrubby gloves/mitt, even when I used moisturizing body washes. I've also tried other oils but for some reason this works best.

In fact I learned about this because I have a condition that causes my moisture glands to die. I have no natural moisture barrier on my skin, nor can any product truly replicate that. But hope springs eternal so I began using EVCO as a step in moisturizing during Winter, after showering. I can use it alone as its emolient enough, not a dry oil, When Spring came a few yrs back I noticed my self tanner was not staying put. Normally with my dry skin its so hard to remove! I had actually already tried using oils to break down self tanner prior to this with minimal results.

Now I'm pretty adept at using self tanners having used them for about 20 years; I'm in my mid 40's and still evading Father Time by not getting real tans, instead using sunscreen all this time and that's despite having a condition that leaves me bone dry. But I'm always trying to find the next best thing at the lowest cost so I try new things, esp on sale and sometimes there is a learning curve even though I feel confident I could teach a class on st application at the Learning Annex if asked lol.

While I'm at it, an AHA body lotion helps too. I began using one last summer and yes, helps to remove st even quicker yet doesn't seem to effect how long it stays on my skin unless I make the effort to get rid of it.
In fact I now apply an AHA/BHA lotion only at night, over my st, this helps me avoid streaks which still occur somtimes despite due diligence.

I love EVCO as a winter moisturizer, also using some then under my arms which is said (I'm no scientist folks, I just research a lot trying to make my skin comfortable) to inhibit bacterial growth, which can mean less odor.

The same condition effecting my skin also is internal and my gastroenterology doctor has told me to eat some EVCO daily to prevent yeast overgrowth which I'm now prone to, especially when I'm on antibiotics, even when also taking probiotics. So I often use it as my cooking oil and/or add to coffee, the warmth really feels great on my always dry chapped lips, seems to help the oil absorb better on them. I like it by the spoonful to be honest.

On that note, it works well as a personal lubricant. I won't say more but its anti bacterial, anti fungal properties sold me on that front.

I have as you might imagine, very dry, pourous hair. It absorbs too much oil actually to use this as a mask since that means I must wash twice with clarifying shampoos to remove it, thereby leaving me with hay, not hair, defeating the purpose. However, I can use a scant amount as a leave in. I'm talking a drop or 2. Works well if I've been over zealous with hairspray to remove the crunch but still leave some hold, on my very wavy hair.

I love the smell, especially Nutiva brand (n/a) but its costly so I now buy the Trader Joe's which also smells and works well at a fraction of the cost, no affiliation there either.

I feel I should add my "Henry Beamis clause" here. Basically if I like or love a product it will a) become discontinued or b) will cause me a biblical worthy plague of boils once I've heaped praise upon it. In phonetic Yiddish its called giving something or someone, "kuna hura." Your milage may vary, patch test new products people, saves some heartache-ive learned the hard way. But I've used this long enough to write a book like this and feel by now it likely won't kill me.

(I love the stuff but am trying not to wreak the wrath of kuna hura here lol). One great thing about oils and why I find them cost effective even of they don't work as intended for some, is they can always be used on your feet or to cook with (if food grade) etc. Polish furniture, etc. I smell like Almond Joy after using this, could be worse;)

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 6:35:00 AM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I can't believe myself just find this gold mine (organic virgin coconut oil) now, what have I been missing out in the past 12 years? (I started buying expansive cosmetics since 18 now I'm 30) Honestly, 12 years of purchasing skin care from countless brands (high end to drug store) and spending lots of $$$, there hasn't been even one product that impressed me so much that I would keep repurchasing. I use it to replace my makeup remover, facial deep cleanser, eye cream, face, neck and body moisturiser, face and body scrub (with organic sugar), facial mask, hair mask, anti-frizze & anti split hair oil, hand and foot lotion, cuticle care, lip balm, eyelash serum, and honestly, it does a much better job comparing with each of the commercial product that I used. Just as a moisturiser for example, I wake up with the most glowing baby soft skin ever every morning since I started using it. It helps cleared out all the white heads (tiny little hard bumps) on my forehead (I also started using natural soap to wash my face), also the fine lines around my eyes and mouth, the scars from acne, the dry, flaky patches between my brows, around my nose and cheek bones, and the uneven skin tone from lack of sleep. I don't even have to say more to use it as all other things since it has been mentioned a million times on MUA lol. For 10 bucks I'm glowing head to toe, no kidding! If you haven't try this stuff, go try it now, If you have tried it and find it doesn't work for you, keep trying until it works! Your skin will never prefer those cancer causing chemicals over pure natural nutrients. Make sure you always use COLD PRESSED virgin coconut oil on your skin to get the most nutrients from it, and always apply immediately after washing your face or body for skin to fully absorb it, best to apply when the skin is still a little bit wet and always use a very small amount on your face (i.e. as long as your skin doesn't feel dry, that should be enough, if it feels greasy then it's way too much).

I also add a tea spoon to the milk with my cereal every morning, also my coffee and tea. It adds a heavenly delicious coconut scent, and it's extremely healthy. I also read online that it can help with weight lose by adding it to your daily diet. I'm now healthy inside, glowing head to toe out side that I keep get compliments on my skin, and have lots of money going to be saved up in my bank account from stop buying all kinds of cosmetics. Good bye all the expansive cancer causing chemicals, I will keep repurchasing this stuff for ever and ever and ever...

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 2:03:00 AM More reviews by lovechanel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

after having my hair botched by a "famed" colorist, I tried everything to get my hair not to look like straw. Fast forward 3 years and new hair, I came across coconut oil and used it as a hair mask and it works! I mention the hair disaster because if any of you have one, get coconut oil. It really does penetrate the hair. I do believe it is cosmetic in effect overall but with regular use you can keep your hair looking healthier. A study found it is effective after being in the hair for 14 hours so be prepared to sleep in it and then bun your hair the next day and wash the following evening. I also tried using a clarifying shampoo then putting in the coconut oil and wow! It looked awesome after I washed it out. You cant go wrong with a jar of this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by ryanunmole123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

HOLY GRAIL PRODUCT HERE!!!
Okay, let me just start off with the fact that I never, ever, NEVER do reviews even if I like a product because I am almost always sure that I wont repurchase it or I'm not in dire need of it even though I am a skincare junkie and always wish to take care of my skin since I was 11. That being said, I am in LOVE with coconut oil. Around a few months ago I started to use it on my skin ( I had previously used it in my hair but it didn't work that well to deeply moisturize my hair so I left it on my desk) because I ran out of my moisturizer. When I applied it at night I always noticed that my skin looked GLOWING and RADIANT in the morning and it seemed that my pores and scars seemed to have diminished and fade away slightly. Fast forward 6 months later, and my skin is looking the best that it had in years, i would say it improved about 50%. It works as a deep moisturiser but does not clog pores keeping skin moist and works to keep the skin's elasticity, brightens skin and fades away marks, removes and fills in wrinkles and much more. I cannot say how much I love this oil and Im looking forward to try more - all for the cheap price of £3.00 (around $5.00)!!
However, for once that's not accustomed to oils the texture of the product might cause some discomfort because it is VERY greasy but there are no lingering smells on the skin as well. I like to not melt mine as I've noticed it can turn black if exposed to high temperetures. A tub of this stuff lasts about 3 months if applied morning and night. Personally, I think this would work on any skin type even Oily (as my skin is combination) as the coconut oil works to regulate and balance oil levels on the face. The one I use is not unrefined oil, it is actually an oil that I picked up at the supermarket aimed for cooking but I assume the unrefined one is at much higher quality and if possible would be better if you would invest in that one instead :)