September 30, 2014 | 1115 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by lovelymallie

I have dry and damaged hair, and I have been loving coconut oil for my hair lately! 30 min. before I shower, I take some of this on my hair. Then I just wash my hair like normal! If your hair is still really dry, you can apply it to the ends of your damp hair!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 8:44:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I echo what many have said here regarding all the positive benefits from using EVCO, and have my own to add. I don't use this as a facial cleansing oil but do use it in the shower as part of my cleasning routine to help remove self tanner.

I find it works better than anything else for me and that includes actual products made specifically for that purpose. It works best in conjunction with scrubby type gloves/mitt, or cloth (MUA loves one called Salux, I've not tried that brand myself, just a knockoff which does the trick just fine). If I've got some streaking or simply want to remove self tanner, I rub in the oil really well, sometimes before bed, then in the shower apply more oil to the wet scrubby mitt or cloth, and its gone. I'd say about 95% to all (depends on my efforts too!). Despite needing that bit of scrubbing, my skin is not chaffed nor feeling wind-burnt after like when I'd scrub it normally to remove st or an offening streak, using scrubs, or scrubby gloves/mitt, even when I used moisturizing body washes. I've also tried other oils but for some reason this works best.

In fact I learned about this because I have a condition that causes my moisture glands to die. I have no natural moisture barrier on my skin, nor can any product truly replicate that. But hope springs eternal so I began using EVCO as a step in moisturizing during Winter, after showering. I can use it alone as its emolient enough, not a dry oil, When Spring came a few yrs back I noticed my self tanner was not staying put. Normally with my dry skin its so hard to remove! I had actually already tried using oils to break down self tanner prior to this with minimal results.

Now I'm pretty adept at using self tanners having used them for about 20 years; I'm in my mid 40's and still evading Father Time by not getting real tans, instead using sunscreen all this time and that's despite having a condition that leaves me bone dry. But I'm always trying to find the next best thing at the lowest cost so I try new things, esp on sale and sometimes there is a learning curve even though I feel confident I could teach a class on st application at the Learning Annex if asked lol.

While I'm at it, an AHA body lotion helps too. I began using one last summer and yes, helps to remove st even quicker yet doesn't seem to effect how long it stays on my skin unless I make the effort to get rid of it.
In fact I now apply an AHA/BHA lotion only at night, over my st, this helps me avoid streaks which still occur somtimes despite due diligence.

I love EVCO as a winter moisturizer, also using some then under my arms which is said (I'm no scientist folks, I just research a lot trying to make my skin comfortable) to inhibit bacterial growth, which can mean less odor.

The same condition effecting my skin also is internal and my gastroenterology doctor has told me to eat some EVCO daily to prevent yeast overgrowth which I'm now prone to, especially when I'm on antibiotics, even when also taking probiotics. So I often use it as my cooking oil and/or add to coffee, the warmth really feels great on my always dry chapped lips, seems to help the oil absorb better on them. I like it by the spoonful to be honest.

On that note, it works well as a personal lubricant. I won't say more but its anti bacterial, anti fungal properties sold me on that front.

I have as you might imagine, very dry, pourous hair. It absorbs too much oil actually to use this as a mask since that means I must wash twice with clarifying shampoos to remove it, thereby leaving me with hay, not hair, defeating the purpose. However, I can use a scant amount as a leave in. I'm talking a drop or 2. Works well if I've been over zealous with hairspray to remove the crunch but still leave some hold, on my very wavy hair.

I love the smell, especially Nutiva brand (n/a) but its costly so I now buy the Trader Joe's which also smells and works well at a fraction of the cost, no affiliation there either.

I feel I should add my "Henry Beamis clause" here. Basically if I like or love a product it will a) become discontinued or b) will cause me a biblical worthy plague of boils once I've heaped praise upon it. In phonetic Yiddish its called giving something or someone, "kuna hura." Your milage may vary, patch test new products people, saves some heartache-ive learned the hard way. But I've used this long enough to write a book like this and feel by now it likely won't kill me.

(I love the stuff but am trying not to wreak the wrath of kuna hura here lol). One great thing about oils and why I find them cost effective even of they don't work as intended for some, is they can always be used on your feet or to cook with (if food grade) etc. Polish furniture, etc. I smell like Almond Joy after using this, could be worse;)

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 6:35:00 AM More reviews by AJ6488

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I can't believe myself just find this gold mine (organic virgin coconut oil) now, what have I been missing out in the past 12 years? (I started buying expansive cosmetics since 18 now I'm 30) Honestly, 12 years of purchasing skin care from countless brands (high end to drug store) and spending lots of $$$, there hasn't been even one product that impressed me so much that I would keep repurchasing. I use it to replace my makeup remover, facial deep cleanser, eye cream, face, neck and body moisturiser, face and body scrub (with organic sugar), facial mask, hair mask, anti-frizze & anti split hair oil, hand and foot lotion, cuticle care, lip balm, eyelash serum, and honestly, it does a much better job comparing with each of the commercial product that I used. Just as a moisturiser for example, I wake up with the most glowing baby soft skin ever every morning since I started using it. It helps cleared out all the white heads (tiny little hard bumps) on my forehead (I also started using natural soap to wash my face), also the fine lines around my eyes and mouth, the scars from acne, the dry, flaky patches between my brows, around my nose and cheek bones, and the uneven skin tone from lack of sleep. I don't even have to say more to use it as all other things since it has been mentioned a million times on MUA lol. For 10 bucks I'm glowing head to toe, no kidding! If you haven't try this stuff, go try it now, If you have tried it and find it doesn't work for you, keep trying until it works! Your skin will never prefer those cancer causing chemicals over pure natural nutrients. Make sure you always use COLD PRESSED virgin coconut oil on your skin to get the most nutrients from it, and always apply immediately after washing your face or body for skin to fully absorb it, best to apply when the skin is still a little bit wet and always use a very small amount on your face (i.e. as long as your skin doesn't feel dry, that should be enough, if it feels greasy then it's way too much).

I also add a tea spoon to the milk with my cereal every morning, also my coffee and tea. It adds a heavenly delicious coconut scent, and it's extremely healthy. I also read online that it can help with weight lose by adding it to your daily diet. I'm now healthy inside, glowing head to toe out side that I keep get compliments on my skin, and have lots of money going to be saved up in my bank account from stop buying all kinds of cosmetics. Good bye all the expansive cancer causing chemicals, I will keep repurchasing this stuff for ever and ever and ever...

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 2:03:00 AM More reviews by lovechanel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

after having my hair botched by a "famed" colorist, I tried everything to get my hair not to look like straw. Fast forward 3 years and new hair, I came across coconut oil and used it as a hair mask and it works! I mention the hair disaster because if any of you have one, get coconut oil. It really does penetrate the hair. I do believe it is cosmetic in effect overall but with regular use you can keep your hair looking healthier. A study found it is effective after being in the hair for 14 hours so be prepared to sleep in it and then bun your hair the next day and wash the following evening. I also tried using a clarifying shampoo then putting in the coconut oil and wow! It looked awesome after I washed it out. You cant go wrong with a jar of this.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by ryanunmole123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

HOLY GRAIL PRODUCT HERE!!!
Okay, let me just start off with the fact that I never, ever, NEVER do reviews even if I like a product because I am almost always sure that I wont repurchase it or I'm not in dire need of it even though I am a skincare junkie and always wish to take care of my skin since I was 11. That being said, I am in LOVE with coconut oil. Around a few months ago I started to use it on my skin ( I had previously used it in my hair but it didn't work that well to deeply moisturize my hair so I left it on my desk) because I ran out of my moisturizer. When I applied it at night I always noticed that my skin looked GLOWING and RADIANT in the morning and it seemed that my pores and scars seemed to have diminished and fade away slightly. Fast forward 6 months later, and my skin is looking the best that it had in years, i would say it improved about 50%. It works as a deep moisturiser but does not clog pores keeping skin moist and works to keep the skin's elasticity, brightens skin and fades away marks, removes and fills in wrinkles and much more. I cannot say how much I love this oil and Im looking forward to try more - all for the cheap price of £3.00 (around $5.00)!!
However, for once that's not accustomed to oils the texture of the product might cause some discomfort because it is VERY greasy but there are no lingering smells on the skin as well. I like to not melt mine as I've noticed it can turn black if exposed to high temperetures. A tub of this stuff lasts about 3 months if applied morning and night. Personally, I think this would work on any skin type even Oily (as my skin is combination) as the coconut oil works to regulate and balance oil levels on the face. The one I use is not unrefined oil, it is actually an oil that I picked up at the supermarket aimed for cooking but I assume the unrefined one is at much higher quality and if possible would be better if you would invest in that one instead :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by leandraheartsmakeup

Words can not express my love for coconut oil! I've been using it for a couple months now and I've definitely noticed great benefits. I use it as a moisturizer only at night and my skin has cleared up and I also use it on my lashes and they've really gotten longer and fuller! Once in a while ill put this stuff on my hair and massage it into my scalp and leave it on for about an hour then rinse it off with shampoo and it leaves my hair so soft, shiny, and not frizzy! I'll also use it to moisturize my body and lips, and I've heard you can use it in place of shaving cream which will probably work though I haven't tried. There's so many ways you can use coconut oil! I know some people eat it and use it in their cooking, but one time I mixed a half a tablespoon of it in my tea and it gave me a headache, not sure why so I just don't eat it. Overall ill keep repurchasing and using it because I love it so much!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 7:55:00 AM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRVEEEEEEEEEEEE coconut oil for SO MANY THINGS!!!!!! I use it to remove makeup. No makeup resists it not even thick eyeliner or waterproof makeup and it leaves your face so clean and fresh. I dunk my hair in it, twice a week, leave it on for minimum 2 hours (more if possible) then shampoo and condition. I do have to shampoo twice as I use sulfate-free shampoo bars. It has made my thick, coarse, dry hair sooooooooooo soft, shiny, silky, bouncy, thick, strong, and healthy, and it makes the curls tight and well-defined even while at the same time they are soft and bouncy. I also use it as a facial moisturiser, in fact at the moment I only use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil as facial moisturisers, every night I use one of them. I haven't used creams or chemical cleansers for the past 9 years, only handmade natural soap. My routine is to rub in some coconut oil to remove makeup, or if I didn't use makeup that day the oil removes dirt, then I wash with natural soap and then moisturise using either coconut oil or olive oil. That's all I do. It never breaks me out, but I'm not break-out prone, in fact I stopped having break-outs when I stopped using chemicals. So if you are having break-outs and acne, I do recommend you try ditching all the chemicals and cleanse using only natural products. Not all products are good for everyone as every skin type is different, I recommend you do some research and experiment to see what natural products work for you. If coconut oil breaks you out you might try grapeseed, jojoba or hazelnut oil, which are lighter and more astringent. For me coconut oil works like a charm!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by hershieowef

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

there are so many uses for EVCO but i never expected it to be this many!! 101?! seriously i've only tried 7 from the list! and i thought that was a lot! haha click the link to see the LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG list!

PS. im not affiliated with the site, i just found it really helpful for me and i thought it will be for you as well. :)

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 6:25:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

HG status right here! Glad I found this product based on the rave reviews here I purchased EVCO (Barleans organic cold-pressed) at my local health foods store. I'm astounded at the dozens of uses and natural antibacterial properties this has and it's all natural :) below are ways I've used this miracle product!

Uses:
Take 1-3 tsp per day to increase energy, boost metabolism and fight candida(yeast infections)

Apply on bruises or cuts to speed healing time

Use as shaving cream to protect against ingrown hairs and cuts

Add to your styling routine- just the smallest bit smoothes my flyaways, too much will make hair greasy!

Mix it with your daily tea or coffee for a flavor and wellness boost--it's so good!

Remove waterproof makeup by rubbing it gently onto face/eyes, then wipe off with tissue and wash face

Since I began taking this product by the spoonful each day, my acne has miraculously subsided(knock on wood!) and the only thing I've changed in my regiment is adding coconut oil, so I attribute the clearing of my acne to the lauric acid contained in EVCO which works as an antibacterial. I'm in love with this stuff and never want to be without it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by halfdusthalfdeity

I am a health coach and I read the reviewer who said that if you break out that means the product is working - NOT TRUE!! You could have an allergy to coconut oil!! If you have sensitive skin just try using a bit of it but if you break out in acne or hives, stop immediately!!

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No