April 23, 2014 | 2025 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Have used for years, stopped for a couple of yrs, back onto it for past few months. Holy Grail product. Use it for cooking also, but that's a separate jar--a 10 dollar kind from Shopper's Drug mart (.
But I found a better one for beauty purposes--at Whole Foods. It is raw, organic, extra virgin, and has a lovely, mild, coconut aroma. (around 30 dollars for a large jar).
Not gonna put the company's name as I am sure there are other brands out there like it.
It absorbs and moisturizes better than the other one that I use only for cooking.
For face/neck: Don't need much. Less than 1/4 tspn. I mix it with organic E.V.Olive oil, about half and half, to put on my face after cleansing. Coconut oil / olive oil are good alone, but EXCELLENT when used together, in my experience. I actually find them pore-clogging on their own, but not together--strange, no? Normally wipe off with warm water/paper towel. Brightens, moisturizes, and cleans my face in one go. Add moisturizer for extra boost, on top.
For body: absorbs quickly, lasting moisture, smells good. These days i have it all mixed up in a Palmer's cocoa butter jar, with EVOO as well. It needs a little stir to get all three mixed every time; however, the combined fragrance of the cocoa butter, coconut, and mild olive scent, is really really beautiful. It works really well for soothing pregnancy stretch marks.
For hair: Massaged into scalp every week, left in overnight, great. Scalp no longer itchy/dry, hair is bouncier, doesn't break so quickly.

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by jannaaikadeja

This is the holy grail for my hair. I just put this in my hair, let it sit for some minutes and wash it afterwards with shampoo + conditioner combined. I combined them so I won't take much time and for the coconut oil not to be all washed in my hair. It makes my hair so smooth, soft, less frizzy and easy to style. It makes my hair straight if I want it to be straight and it makes my hair curly if I want it to be. If i want it to be straight I just comb it carefully and if I want it to be curly, I'll just curl it using my hands and it's curly already :D I heard it's good for shaving. I will have to see that too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2012 12:57:00 AM More reviews by dawnzartandlife

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using EVCO as a mask in the shower and then shampooing it out, it is great for that. Smells great, and adds a lot of healthy moisture to my hair. I just read some reviews and will try it for shaving my legs, had not thought of that before. I bought at Trader Joes for organic EVCO. Will update after the shaving experiment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2012 8:44:00 AM More reviews by cyens

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I used to have terrible skin problems, until I switched to all natural and homemade. My skin used to be flaky, dry and itchy, and nothing seemed to solve my problem.
I mostly use coconut oil when I make cold press soap, but I also use it for other stuff.
I use it as a hair mask, which is basically coconut oil with a little amount of lemon essential oil. I leave it in my hair a couple hours and wash it out. Makes my hair super soft!
I love to use coconut oil in my homemade lotions, it gives them a nice and rich texture. During the summer time, coconut oil really helps protect your skin from the sun ( not a sun screen though, you need to use sun screen also ).
I do not use coconut oil on my face, I find it way to rich for that. I don't like the feel. I use lighter oils on my face like jojoba or argan.

And yes you can definitely use it for cooking instead of butter, but make sure you get deodorized coconut oil, or everything will taste like coconuts! And use foodgrade coconut oil if you do.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2012 8:09:00 AM More reviews by PreRaphaelite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased a massive tub from Holland & Barrett which was £15 but you only need a small amount for the entire face. I read conflicting info re coconut oil after buying: some say that it is comodogenic (pore-blocking) and some say that it isn't. I was worried that I had wasted my money but personally, I have had no problems with this oil.

I have oily and dry skin and cleanse my face with EVOO, then Dr. Bronner's magic soap and then apply a layer of this at night. You do look a little shiny when you first put it on (which is why I only apply it at night), it absorbs quite quickly and if there is any residue, it doesn't stain your pillowcase. You also smell like a bounty bar! This is really amazing for acne scars as well as being anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and helping to control oil production in your skin. I have also noticed a major improvement on the fine lines/wrinkles on my forehead (caused by sun damage) and if I apply this oil religiously, they pretty much disappear. I also apply some as hand cream at night and wake up with soft, smooth hands. I will forever use this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by teacoffeecocoa86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have an obsession with coconut oil. I buy my supply of coconut oil from amazon.com and the brand is nutiva. I make sure to always buy extra virgin organic coconut oil.

Where do I use it? I never use on my face. I have EXTREMELY oily, shiny, acne-prone skin even though I am hitting age 25 and so my face routine is geared toward keeping moisture and acne at a minimum.

My favorite use for coconut oil is to use it on my body (especially neck,chest,arms, and legs) right after I shower or bathe and then seal the deal with a body butter from The Body Shop. I then pat dry with a towel.

I also use as hair mask once a month, then shampoo the oil out.

These are my two chief current uses for coconut oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/20/2012 3:59:00 AM More reviews by poppydoll

I have a love-hate relationship with coconut oil. Love it on my legs, completely hate it on my face. For reference, I used the one from Nutiva and the smell is divine!

Pros: I have very dry, itchy legs and a homemade coconut oil exfoliator does an amazing job at keeping them moisturized. I don't need to moisturize at all when I step out of the shower, and the effects actually last a couple days. It's also fantastic when used as a hair conditioner (I use as a mask and then shampoo) but I'm torn because my soft, newly conditioned hair can't touch my face or my back. Why? Because....

Cons: Coconut oil clogs my pores and breaks the hell out of me. Even when ingested, I get little pimples that pop up the next day and anytime that stuff even gets near my face, it turns into a war zone...like Battle of the Zits. I have combo/slightly dry sensitive, acne prone skin.

Im so very sad as I've heard only fabulous things about coconut
oil and its many health benefits, but I consider acne to be the devil reincarnate. I will try ingesting it again when my face completely clears up (hopefully soon) for the touted health benefits but will only repurchase for the sole purpose of moisturizing my legs.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by myannabellee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Say YES to Coconut Oil!
This stuff is good for everything.
Literally.
Everything.
Use it for:
-Hair
-Skin (yes, face, too.)
-Nails
-Toast spread (better than butter and healthier, too!)
-Personal lubricant (I challenge you to find a better product for this purpose.)
-Anything else you can imagine.
Coconut oil is the ultimate ruler of all.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 5:21:00 PM More reviews by eddiecatt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I was quite paranoid about this clogging my pores, so for the first few weeks I only put it on about an hour or so before I washed my face, and only gradually left it on longer. I now use this as my daytime moisturizer. It really does work on acne--I had a huge one on my side one day, put coconut oil on it and it disappeared overnight! Doesn't do much for my acne scars though, but that's OK. I melt some in a jar and add tea tree oil to it to boost its antibacterial properties. Thinking of also squeezing a Vit E capsule into it next time. If you have acne, this is worth trying, because it is so cheap and effective and natural--just go slow at the beginning so you can tell whether your skin can take it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 3:39:00 PM More reviews by FleurDeCherisier

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Do not doubt when you see extra virgin coconut oil in a store! Itís the best hair care product, best facial moisturizer and best body moisturizer. Itís a lifesaver for naturally dry and/or damaged hair.

Hair care: Rub a pea sized amount of the solid oil between your fingers until itís warm and put it on your hair ends an hour or a night before you wash your hair. For an intensive treatment heat a table spoon of coconut oil au bain Marie and rub it in your wet, not yet shampooed hair, wait thirty minutes and shampoo twice.

Moisturizer: Rub a little amount of the oil between your fingers until warm and apply it on your face and all other dry spots. Tip: when you see/feel an upcoming pimple dab a little coconut oil on it before you go to sleep.

My dry, damaged hair and skin love extra virgin coconut oil!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No