Homemade Vitamin C Serum

4.4

on 3/27/2012 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I started researching this recipe when I came upon it on youtube.

I purchased my ascorbic acid (Pure Vitamin C powder) at Holland and Barratt - a health food chain in the UK.

I desolve about 1/8 or less ascorbic acid with 1 tsp of distilled water and use an old make up brush to apply the solution to my face.

The solution does tingle at first but that soon stops however once the solution dries on my skin, I am left with a powder residude which itches like mad and makes my skin feel tight.

At present I am only leaving the solution for about 40 minutes or until I can bear the itching no longer. I wash it off with cotton pads soaked in Red Rose Water and apply a fragrance free moisturing lotion.

My skin is not too bad considering my age but I do feel that my skins feels plumper and very silky soft since I started this treatment.

Also, the first time I tried it, I got comments from work colleagues commenting on how fresh my skin looked. A very welcome boost to my ego.

Not only will I continue to use this treatment once a week I have also passed the recipe to some of my colleagues who are eager to try it for themselves.

on 3/26/2012 1:48:00 PM

Like so many, I'm thrilled to have found this remedy. I'm super cheap, so I've been putting it in a tiny glass bottle I already had, and then snapping that into a 35mm film canister (always knew those would be handy some day!) which is basically air and light-proof; applying with cotton ball. Not so pretty, but basically free!! I've been storing it in the fridge which makes it feel lovely when you put it on, but don't know if that actually helps lengthen the shelf life.

on 3/18/2012 2:11:00 PM

Okay so I have acne prone skin with acne marks and uneven skin tone... so I went in search of something cheap that I could make st home.... and I came across vitamin serums. Well I have vitamin c tables 1000mg and I have bottled water and an extra travel sized bottle around the house so I decided to try it without a few of the ingredients from a recipe I found. I start by crushing two 1000 mg tables of ascorbic acid vitamin c ( the HEB brand) and then place into travel sized bottle, then fill with lukewarm water and shake. I make sure to shake it before each use. The results are crazy good! My skin is brighter, and so much smoother!! I have only been using for a few days so I can't tell you if it is fading acne scares, but it has evened everything out! And will these results I'll keeping using it!!!!

on 3/16/2012 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using this for 3 days only, and my skin already feels smoother. I used Doves Farm organic vitamin c powder (it's pure ascorbic acid, I found it in the baking section of my local health store), a mix of geranium and witch hazel hyrdosol (I didn't have pure distilled water but I had these two which are distilled) and a few drops of jojoba oil. I'm about to try a new batch with glycerin, to see if the texture is any more silky. I'm hoping over time it will even out my skin tone and fade out my acne scars. It already seems to be helping!

on 3/15/2012 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This a great product. I always liked Vitamin C products and really it's the only one that truly makes a difference for my skin. It looks fresher, the tone is more even and my make-up applies beautifully. Just like other reviewers I purchased my Vit C and glycerin from iherb.com. Use this code to get your $5 off your order - WUY523

on 3/12/2012 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Haven't actually tried this yet, I'm still in research mode.. just wanted to point out this useful article (& website) that says the best way to make Vitamin C serum/or to use Vit C for skincare is to use an "anhydrous vitamin C combo". The article says "One approach to improving vitamin C stability and reducing the potential for skin irritation is to use anhydrous vehicle, i.e. a topical base cream containing no water..." Worth reading!

on 3/11/2012 12:37:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

For several months, I was on a skin regimn where my derm was giving me a mild TCA peel on a regular basis and hydroquinone and retin A treatment( Obagi Nuderm). Although the treamtent significantly helped with my pigmentation, I was left with EXTREMELY irritated, flaky and sensitive skin. It's sensitive to the point that even attempting to sqeeze a black head can lead to a huge zit. Any hydrating cream makes me break out. All of these have left me with marks and uneven skin tone and i am 10 times worse off then i was before my obagi nu derm treatment :(.

I started using this serum a few weeks back. My skin is so super soft and supple and hydrated. Those annoying flaky bits around my mouth and chin are GONE. I expect to see improvement with my acne scarring soon. This is the formulation i use:

1 tsp vitamin C powder
5-6 tsp water (enough to dissolve). I never use hot water as ascorbic acid is very unstable and heat can change its properties.
4-5 tsp glycerin.

I usually add up the two liquids to 10 tsp. I guess that gives me a 10% vit C solution?

In the past I've added vitamin E or even a very small quantitiy of Retin A. The vitamin E was really thick and made me break out ( no surpises there). so now i just stick with the basic recipe. I might add the liqorice extract in a few weeks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Brilliant idea! I have always made my own facial stuff but I've never thought to make something with vitamin C.
I went to Whole Foods today and picked up some Camu Camu, Vegetable Glycerine, Licorice Root extract, and Raspberry Leaf Extract (a total of 80 bucks! but I can see why some people would already have all this around the house, so, you know.).
I think I must have done something wrong, and I actually feel really goofy, because the Camu Camu powder is a dark color and the mixture stayed an orangey/bronze and felt pretty sticky. I couldn't blend it into my fair skin so right now I have what looks like red clay lumped onto my face. I have terrible cystic acne scars around my jaw, chin and mouth and, being stubbornly hopeful, I decided to keep the shit on my face for about an hour and see what it does to brighten my skin tone, fade scars, and minimize fine lines. If it works, I'll use it as a mask a few times a week. I'm pretty hopeful! Also it smells great but I wouldn't recommend tasting it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Really makes my skin look a whole lot better. I will use this again.

on 3/1/2012 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy cow!!! I've been making my own cleaning products for years because I was tired of spending $5.00 a bottle for something that's mostly water. Skin care is no different, just more expensive. I don't know why I didn't think of making my own skin care earlier!

I've been using this for 5 days. My skin is more even toned and my fine lines look better. Since I can make this weekly, I can ensure the Vitamin C stays potent. I'm waiting on my hyaluronic acid to arrive so I can add it to the mix.

Thank you SOOOOOO much!!! I will never go back to paying for Vitamin C serum again.

PS... I use the recipe posted by DuchessofGrapes. See her post below for the recupe...

Popular Treatments (Face)