April 16, 2014 | 969 users online

Treatments - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 2:05:00 AM More reviews by cshea

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thanks to this string, I discovered I could make my own Vitamin C serum, thereby saving tons of money while avoiding silicones, humectants, and other things my oily skin doesn't need but are present in most serums. While hunting around for a place to buy L-Ascorbic Acid, I stumbled upon makingcosmetics.com. The website inspired me to try making a few different potions: Vitamin C mixed with distilled water (made fresh every few days); Vitamin E and a sunblock mixed with alcohol; Niacinimide mixed with water; and an eye cream mixed with rice-soy peptides. I'm very happy with how everything turned out and with how inexpensive and easy this is. My entire order from makingcosmetics.com was like $80, and I have enough supplies for a year's worth of all my potions. I'll check back in a month and report if the rice-soy peptides actually helped with my dark circles.

10 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2011 5:43:00 PM More reviews by vball91

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Considering how expensive most Vit. C serums are and how notoriously difficult it is to stabilize the formulation, I figured this was worth trying to DIY. Even though I had never made a skincare product before, this was very easy to make and use. I started with the standard 10% formula and gradually tinkered until I got the consistency I liked and ended up at 20%.

I've been making and using this for about 4 months now, and it is making my skin tone brighter and lighter overall. The difference is most notable on the backs of my hands, but even the hyperpigmentation on my face is starting to very slowly fade. I will continue making and using. Thanks MUA.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2011 11:16:00 AM More reviews by nakedmannequin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

just started this last night.

i work in a compounding pharmacy so i made a little batch at work :3

titurated (finely crushed) four plain ol' 500mg vit c tablets, levigated then brought the final volume up to 30ml with distilled water, put it on the magnetic stirrer for about 15 minutes until the particles were dissolved, transferred to an amber glass vial.

which puts it at a strength of about 6% (didn't want to start too high)

it was pretty liquidy and hard to work with but i didn't want to use glycerin so when i got home i actually added about 5ml of jojoba oil... which puts the strength at about 4% also it's a oil water combo so i shook it vigorously before use

anyway, used it after my nightly routine but before moisturizer (actually fell asleep before moisturizing oops)

this morning my skin was EXTREMELY smooth. the leftovers of a breakout i had last week are very faded.

i'm really excited. this cost me basically NOTHING to make.
will update in the next few days.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by JustMeas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

2014 Update:
Still the business! I've played with different moisturizers and foundations and creams and powders but THIS has not changed. I tried to jump on the Obagi Professional C bandwagon and had to come right back here in less than a week, my face was falling apart.
My formula hasn't changed. Water and l-ascorbic acid spritzed twice a day and gently rubbed in like a serum.

Original 2010 review:
VIT C/L-ASCORBIC ACID *is* the business, folks.
It's been about 4 weeks. I use ONE part l-ascorbic acid to FOUR parts distilled water. Disslove to clear liquid, dip cotton pad and spread to entire face each night after makeup removal and toner. After vit c, add moisturizer if needed. That's it. Essential oils were giving me white heads, so I'm off those. I do micro scrub routinely in mornings.

Results: My middle age acne had cleared up (after three years of this battle, that alone is amazing), the dark spots from acne have faded dramatically.

Firm believer in the collagen factor (no pun intended): I was staring in the mirror wondering what was different with my face. The *shape* was different but I couldn't identify the different part/thing. Until I first heard it, and then again, several people I see on a routine (business) basis had suddenly mentioned 'you have dimples'.

I haven't noticed my cheek dimples in years. One side had completly gone away, I suppose due to slackening skin. Well, both sides are *very* obvious again: plumper and deeper than I have seen in years.

Amazing trip with DIRT CHEAP l-ascorbic acid. I will *always* keep powdered vit c in the stash.
Highly recommend for aging skin!

42 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2010 8:22:00 AM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Love this. My skin is good, but I have some minor freckling and weird texture on my forehead--sun damage--which I hoped this would address. That was my only hope going into this experiment. Initially, I made according to the standard 10% recipe, slightly modified because I didn't want so much glycerin: 1/4tsp ascorbic acid crystals dissolved in 1.5tsp water, then added .5tsp vegetable glycerin. Applied that nightly with a cotton pad. I noticed some slight improvement in the softness of my skin, but nothing else. Even 4 weeks of nightly use. I was prepared to give it 3 months before declaring it a bust, but I decided to alter the recipe slightly in the hopes of spurring on some improvement. Since then, I've been doing .5tsp ascorbic acid dissolved in 2tsp rosewater, with .5tsp glycerin--which I believe puts the concentration closer to 20%, the recommended maximum. I applied the same way (paying close attention to how my skin felt at first, as I did not wish to irritate it with the increased vitamin c--no irritation, just a warm feeling for a few minutes after application) and instantly noticed softer, plumper, dewier skin in the morning. In a couple weeks, I also noticed marked fading of my sun-induced forehead freckles. And my skin just looks smoother and plumper and . . . happy. The improvements have not been earth-shattering, but they're definitely improvements. I'm really pleased with the serum! And the substitution of the rosewater for plain filtered or distilled pleasantly eliminated the very metallic smell I was getting from the initial recipe. I make a new batch every 2 weeks, and store in a cobalt dropper bottle in a cool, dark drawer. So far doesn't seem to be oxidizing before I can use it. Will continue to make and use, definitely.

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by RMutt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great beauty trick and you save so much money doing this yourself. I also like that I can tinker with the ingredients for different effects. For about $20, I have enough ingredients to make a years worth of serums and I can make batches for friends. I make only a week's worth at a time, and store it in a blue glass bottle with a dropper.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2010 1:52:00 AM More reviews by puppiels

I was enjoying the 1/4 tsp L-Ascorbic acid crystals + 1 1/2 tsp distilled water + 1/2 tsp (or less) of vegetable glycerin. On vacation, for convenience, I switched to the Avalon Organics Vit C renewal cream (oil based - wished I had noticed the "oil free" one right next to it at the store!!) and it seemed to be working fine, but now I'm back to the home made serum, and have a question...

After 20 mins or so of the serum being on my face, the water seems to evaporate away, and I'm left with the chalky vitamin c powder residue on my face. I first started noticing it on my fingers, then wondered, is this on my face as welll????? If the vitamin C residue is left over on my face, is it going to Oxidize???? Lately I've been feeling like when I use the serum, my wrinkles haven't been looking that much better the next morning, in fact it looks too dry, but it could be b/c I just started using it again a couple of days ago after not using it for a couple months. I saw some posts where people said they rinse it off after 15 minutes or so, does this sound right? or is it better to leave it on? Maybe I should up the glycerin content...

UPDATE: I realized in my excitement for the serum I was just layering the stuff on, and so of course eventually the skin couldn't absorb anymore, hence the dried vit c powder... so have cut back to just one layer, and I added the glycerin back again, and even dab on a little of the leftover Avalon organics vit c renewal cream (to use it up) and slather some on my hands. One week, results are okay. will wait and see after a few more weeks! I had some dark spots on my face that are lighter now, though!

Thanks!!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2010 8:45:00 PM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

OMG I wish I knew about this sooner, I would'ave saved a lot of money and stress over my acne. First off, I couldn't find any "L-ascorbic acid" so instead I bought the London drugs brand of vitamin C tablets which, from my knowledge of chemistry, will dissolve into a mixture of L- and D-ascorbic acid. For a bottle containing 100 tablets, I paid a mere $3 CDN. The ingredients include 500mg ascorbic acid per pill, with only 2 non-medicinal ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose and magnesium stearate. I dissolve 1 tablet into about 25-30mL of distilled water and leave over-night to dissolve. At this concentration, the tablet breaks down but doesn't fully dissolve - I have to shake the bottle before use because a lot of the white powder precipitates out and settles at the bottom. I apply a generous amount all over my face and neck using cotton pads. I keep the bottle in a small box to prevent light. One dilution lasts about 5 days for me. I've been using this for about a month now. Since then my breakouts have been reduced from 2-3 per month to NONE, zip, nada! And lately I've been in the sun, sweating, applying tons of heavy sunscreen and still, no breakouts! hooray!!! I am definately keeping up this routine!! My recipe is more like a toner than a serum, but it doesn't interfere with my makeup, moisterizer or sunscreen. I might try using pure L-ascorbic acid in the future, but for now, the vitamin C tablets are pretty effective.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by Frenchmix

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been making my own C-Serum for about 7 weeks now. Super cheap to make and I am loving the results. Makes your skin super smooth and fades acne marks fast. I make a fresh bach twice a day. I use this under my MUFE powder for daytime and at night on the night I don't use Retin-A. I use straight pure C powder + soft water, nothing else.

I also use this all over my body.. legs, chest, neck, arms even lips. Feels so smooth.

Some advice: After you apply if the stinging is really intense and last more than a minute of so, I'd wash it off or add water to your face. Because the first week I started this I used too much powder and my neck kept stinging for over half and hour and I ended up burning my skin. It shouldn't sting for more than a minute I notice.

I've been using this for about 4 months now..this is the best thing I ever did for my skin!! So cheap too.

~Update~ I've been using this for a year now, hard to believe.. I'm so happy I decided to go this route with making my own. I love my skin and make a fresh batch daily. My husband even started using what he found left in the little jar, he asked if it was ok, lol.

Over the past years I have tried Avalon, Jasons, Cellex-C, Kiss my Face's serum's and they caused one problem or another like breaking my skin out, or giving my skin a bumpy appearance close-up. Cellex C's was already brownish when I first bought it and for $100.00, big no! DIY C Serum is better than all of these! I wish I tried this years ago. Great stuff.

43 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2010 9:39:00 AM More reviews by jilbur64

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My super-easy 'formula' for making a Vitamin C serum is to use Heritage Products Rosewater & Glycerin as a base. I bought some blue glass atomizer bottles from specialtybottle.com ... I pour 2 tsp of the rosewater into the glass bottle, add 1/4 tsp of Whole Foods Vit C crystals, close and shake. I have not had any problem with the Vit C dissolving.
I've been using usually twice a day, morning and night, misting my face, neck and chest. Then I use my fingertips to lightly spread around my face. I use it on my whole eye area as well, no problem. Slight transient stinging but no lasting skin irritation at all, and I have rosacea so that's saying something. There is a slight 'shine' and stickiness from the glycerine but it's not bothersome. I may try a stronger solution in future.
I've only been using this for about 2 weeks but I am flabbergasted at how much my skin has improved. Definitely thickening (in a good way), plumping, fine lines smoothing, holds moisture better, and redness is reduced--I have a lot of diffuse redness and some telangiectasia (thread veins) in my face, and I think the thicker skin makes them show less. This is incredibly cheap and effective--can't believe I ever paid a lot of money for Vit C serum. As long as I only make a week's worth at a time I don't think there's much chance of it degrading.

39 out of 39 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No