April 19, 2014 | 1689 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 9/23/2007 2:15:00 PM More reviews by Mindy380

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this because of all the raves on the makeupalley message board, and because there was a NYC BOGO sale at CVS. I ended up buying Mauve Gold, which is a very wearable pinkish nude that I love; and Sheer Red, which I was disappointed with. From the name "Sheer Red", I was really expecting something less opaque and more sheer; more like the color output I get from my Clinique Almost Lipsticks. In the tube, Sheer Red looks very red (A LOT more red than the color swatch on the New York Color website). Applied lightly on my lips, this turned out to be a very dramatic, vampy looking opaque red w/o shimmer. I had to blot two or three times for it to give me the sheer, stained look I desired; and I topped that with a bit of clear gloss. I prefer sheer, more natural looks to bold, bright colors so Sheer Red was a loss for me. But at 99 cents, not a very big loss. For reference, I am a LLL Asian with naturally rosy lips.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2007 1:41:00 PM More reviews by goldendoll

I love this red. It is just a great color! The price is unbelievable, and I find that the quality is pretty good. I love that this can be worn very lightly, or really heavy for a super glossy strong color. I would say this is a sheer, as the texture is shiny and less heavy than that of a regular lipstick. I love it and will stock up on this and the retro red. They're just great, and they don't break the bank!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2007 8:52:00 AM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Okay, I'm impressed with this lipstick. Its a semi sheer berry red that feels light on and wears well. Its actually a pretty classy color; that nice strong but not over the top color that is really versatile and flatters many different skin tones. I guess I love this so much because its basically the sheer version of one of my favorite red lipsticks ever (Sonia Kashuk Geisha). I actually have tons (maybe 50 or so red lipsticks) and rarely ever wear them because honestly I am not a huge fan of the red lips look (oddly enough I still feel the need to buy red lisptick) however Sheer Red is one of the 3-5 reds I do wear in public so yeah; that should tell you what a nice rich looking red this is. Highly reccomended. And the price!? Wow, such a great color for 93 cents.....amazing!

rated 0 of 5 on 7/13/2007 9:39:00 PM More reviews by palomino_jones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

NOT SHEER. Not sheer. Not not not. Dark. Opaque. Dark. *rocks in corner*

8 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2007 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Unfortunately this red was far too bright for me. It feels really nice and moisturizing going on, and the scent is slightly offputting.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2007 9:15:00 AM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I used to have this but at that time I was a.bit shy about bright colors. Shy no more! It's a nice, slightly darker, very wearable red. Feels nice on lips, not drying at all. I'm NW10 for reference.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2007 1:52:00 PM More reviews by thefairestlady1012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am a total pink, mauve, rose, and red lipstick kind of person and fell in love with this color at first sight. The color is sheer and glossy and dramatic without being bright or screaming at you, "Hey, look I am wearing dark red lipstick." For reference I am a PPP and always have somewhat of a difficulty finding flattering red lip colors, but this is truly one of my all-time favotites.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2007 5:39:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a sheer berry red lipstick. The color is lovely, but the formula is definitely subpar (which should not surprise me given the cheap price). It applies unevenly on me and then wears off unevenly and quickly without leaving a nice stain behind like other red lippies. I also dislike the fragrance. This is heading in the trash.

Ingredients: Castor Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ozokerite, Candelilla Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Beeswax, Lanolin Oil, PEG-4 Diheptanoate, Petrolatum, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Carnauba Wax, Hydrogenated Microcrystalline Wax, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Tin Oxide, Silica. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 27 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2007 11:41:00 PM More reviews by callmecordelia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is like a sheer version of MAC Rage, without the shimmer. Sheer Red is a smidge pinker, but it's a very similar basic colour. This is the first drugstore red I've found that doesn't turn neon fuchsia on me, so I'm impressed. Texture is kind of wet, so blotting is necessary. It smells rather like a raspberry LipSmacker -- kind of amusing to me, very junior high. And yeah, the packaging sucks. It's good for the price but I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2007 8:20:00 PM More reviews by kama79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

MAC NW20, brunette, dark eyes, pink undertones and warm freckles. THe packaging is what you would expect from a cheap lipstick, but it fulfils its prupose :) The texture is slightly slippery (as in it glides off my lips easily) but if you apply twice and blot inbetween that problem is solved. The color is actually a truly neutral wearable red. A nice staple red l/s that you can easily pull of for any occasion