New York Color 309B Sheer Red

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Castor Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ozokerite, Candelilla Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Beeswax, Lanolin Oil, PEG-4 Diheptanoate, Petrolatum, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Carnauba Wax, Hydrogenated Microcrystalline Wax, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Tin Oxide, Silica. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 27 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine

on 12/22/2007 4:35:00 PM

This lipstick is great! I wanted to try out a darker lip color than my usual "everyday" gloss. I would say this color is more berry than red, at least on me, and it's not exactly sheer either, lol. Anyways, on it's own it looks OK, maybe even a bit too harsh...but I put my VS Beauty Rush lipgloss in Piece of Cake over it and it looks so pretty! It lasts awhile and you can't go wrong with 94 cents.

on 12/19/2007 2:41:00 AM

love, love, love!!! and only a dollar at target!!!! i put this on, and it is matte and creamy at the same time. sometimes, i put on some victorias secret beauty rush in oatstanding or caramal apple to add some shine. it works soooo well for ivory skin and just a slight bit of pink blush. looks and wears like a high end product with a dollar pirce tag!!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Click continued for product pic

Color: A cool toned berry shade. Nevermind the "sheer" part of this...there is nothing sheer about it unless you purposely make it that way.

Price: Right around $1 when you add tax.

Packaging: Average...black tube w/ clear cap. Lipstick doesn't twist down all the way into the tube so it is easy to knick the lipstick if one is not careful.

Texture: Pretty moisturizing, creamy, full color pigment..very smooth and easy to apply. Not greasy.

Raves: The formula is good like all the lippies of this line. It looks decent when applied sheerly or even with a heavier hand. I do appreciate the fact that this is a cool toned berry red and I like that it doesn't contain any shimmer. Doesn't look matte or anything, more creamy. This shade does make my teeth look whiter when I wear it which is a plus.

Rants: I think it is too berryish for the look I was hoping to get from this. And it has a cool pink undertone to it that I don't like that is extremely noticable as it starts to fade, at least on me. continued >>

on 12/15/2007 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

A fellow MUAer recommended this when I said I wanted to wear red lipstick for my formal. She was so right! This is a wonderful berry red, sheer when you blot it (and you should blot red lipstick..). Very understated considering it's a red! I am a red lipstick girl in the winter, with high contrast (I'm a fair Asian with very black hair and dark brown eyes) and it's very flattering for my colouring. This is a rather cool red, with blue undertones, so probably better for girls with cool colouring. Only irritating thing is the smell and the packaging - I am not a high-end only girl, but I do appreciate a good-looking lipstick tube, like Revlon's, rather than a cheap loose tube. Also, the smell is sickly sweet. The formula is amazing though - very moisturizing, unlike many reds that are drying. Very good for red lipstick beginners!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Who would have thought such a versatile red existed in the drugstore? After years of searching for the perfect red, I recently discovered MAC's Diva (a dark red)a couple of months ago, but NYC's Sheer Red is a close 2nd! It's brighter than my beloved Diva, but it's just as flattering against my NW45 skin because of it's sheerness. I pair this with Milani's Red Velvet lip pencil. Can't beat the 99 cent price either!

on 10/4/2007 7:08:00 PM

Wow...what a great d/s find! I am a huge red l/s lover, I saw so many raves for this one I decided to pick it up at CVS and for like $1.99, why not?
I instantly loved it when I applied it. I don't consider this sheer though, I find it to be just like any other normal red l/s. Oh well, I like it either way.
Great color, consistancy & lasts.

on 9/30/2007 8:15:00 PM

I was excited to try this, but it turned out to be pretty opaque, and it pulled a bright fuschia tone on me. There was also a slightly crayonish smell like l'oreal lipsticks tend to have. The mauve gold shade I bought this with is a more wearable nudey pink with gold shimmer, and doesn't have a scent.

on 9/23/2007 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this because of all the raves on the makeupalley message board, and because there was a NYC BOGO sale at CVS. I ended up buying Mauve Gold, which is a very wearable pinkish nude that I love; and Sheer Red, which I was disappointed with. From the name "Sheer Red", I was really expecting something less opaque and more sheer; more like the color output I get from my Clinique Almost Lipsticks. In the tube, Sheer Red looks very red (A LOT more red than the color swatch on the New York Color website). Applied lightly on my lips, this turned out to be a very dramatic, vampy looking opaque red w/o shimmer. I had to blot two or three times for it to give me the sheer, stained look I desired; and I topped that with a bit of clear gloss. I prefer sheer, more natural looks to bold, bright colors so Sheer Red was a loss for me. But at 99 cents, not a very big loss. For reference, I am a LLL Asian with naturally rosy lips.

on 9/2/2007 1:41:00 PM

I love this red. It is just a great color! The price is unbelievable, and I find that the quality is pretty good. I love that this can be worn very lightly, or really heavy for a super glossy strong color. I would say this is a sheer, as the texture is shiny and less heavy than that of a regular lipstick. I love it and will stock up on this and the retro red. They're just great, and they don't break the bank!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Okay, I'm impressed with this lipstick. Its a semi sheer berry red that feels light on and wears well. Its actually a pretty classy color; that nice strong but not over the top color that is really versatile and flatters many different skin tones. I guess I love this so much because its basically the sheer version of one of my favorite red lipsticks ever (Sonia Kashuk Geisha). I actually have tons (maybe 50 or so red lipsticks) and rarely ever wear them because honestly I am not a huge fan of the red lips look (oddly enough I still feel the need to buy red lisptick) however Sheer Red is one of the 3-5 reds I do wear in public so yeah; that should tell you what a nice rich looking red this is. Highly reccomended. And the price!? Wow, such a great color for 93 cents.....amazing!

Popular Lipsticks