Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This oil is good for so many things. I actually like that it's a solid because it's less messy and is easier to store. I mostly use this as a makeup remover, rubbing it between my hands and putting it all over my face. It literally melts your makeup off. It doesn't irritate my skin or make me breakout. It's also great as a body moisturizer.. I put it on after I get out of the shower and it softens my skin without being super oily. It's also great as a cuticle oil & hair mask. The best thing is, it's all natural.

on 9/25/2013 11:21:00 PM

I started using raw organic virgin coconut oil around a month ago. I was instantly in love but wanted to wait to see what the longer term effects of it might be first. My verdict: this stuff has done wonders for my skin and hair.

What I use it for:

Pre-shampoo treatment -
Rub a small amount through your hair from mid-lengths to ends, leave in for at least 1/2 an hour (I leave mine for several hours) then shampoo out. If you have fine hair you should shampoo twice. This leaves your hair feeling soft for multiple washes.

All over body moisturizer -
While in the shower, standing under the hot water, I rub a small amount of the coconut oil all over my body (melt in palms first if it's solid). I had previously tried doing this after toweling myself dry, however I find application during the shower much better as it locks in your skins moisture before it can dry out. I think this has made my skin feel smoother and firmer, and I much prefer the texture of the oil as opposed to regular moisturizers which tend to feel thick and go all slimy when they get wet! BONUS: coconut oil also has low UV filtering properties, so you're giving your skin a little sun protection too!

Make up remover/face cleanser -
Wipe excess make-up off with a tissue then massage coconut oil with warm water over your face. The oil will loosen any remaining make-up. Wipe off the dirty oil with another clean tissue then rinse face again with warm water. I have combination skin and break out frequently....however since using this I have had ZERO breakouts and my skin's oil is more balanced. TIP: Only do this once a day. There's no reason to over-cleanse your face! Do the oil wash at night before bed then rinse your face with only warm water in the morning. If you are a little oily in the morning like me, wipe the oil off with a towel or tissue.

Facial moisturizer -
I apply a small amount of coconut oil to my face following make-up removal/cleansing (described above). I wear it overnight and by morning, it's all absorbed. The trick is not to use too much...you only need a little bit - you don't need to look like an oil slick for this to work! I don't often wear this during the day because it can curdle certain products e.g. oil free foundations and sunscreens. The results? Balanced oils, softer and firmer skin, and more even skintone.

Cuticle oil/dry area treatment -
Dab small amounts of coconut oil to dry areas such as heels, knees, elbows and cuticles. Not only does this make the dry skin INSTANTLY appear moisturized, but it actually softens them over time.

Since I started using my coconut oil, I have eliminated the need for a vast number of other lotions and potions that are far more expensive and far less effective. If you decide to take the plunge and try it, make sure you get a raw, organic, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil. The one I use is Banaban....and it's devine!

on 9/17/2013 4:31:00 AM

Ahhh Coconut oil- I don't love you. I tried you in many ways, we just don't have a good relationship.
As a cleanser- horrible; gave me cysts, pimples and clogged pores.
Eyes massage- from time to time I like to massage my eye area with an oil (and then wipe it off) and when I tried with coconut oil it irritated my skin as in small red dots and patches under my eyes. Also left a ''veil '' on my eyes. It is also very greasy and needed a lot of facial wash to clean it off which is bad for my dry skin around my eyes.
Hair- in many ways: on wet hair, dry hair, just on scalp, scalp+hair, after washing, before washing, under shower cap + towel, for fly aways etc etc but I just never had the nice , shiny, easy to detangle hair that other reviewers have. It is too greasy for my hair , left it greasy and needed a lot of shampoo to wash it off. Didn't like my scalp or hair after washing and drying my hair.For me Castor oil is better. Coconut oil always made my hair tangled while I never issues with Castor oil.
Body- it would never sink it, even in small quantity and massaged well. Would rub on clothes. I didn't like the greasy feeling on my body and the fact that my T-Shirts would be dirty because of the oil put me off.
Oil pulling- I have seen some whitening but then honestly I got tired of the taste. Now I use Sesame oil which is much better than the coconut oil because I can feel a difference in my gums.
I also ate coconut oil for for weeks, a tsp every morning, and after a while it gave me stomach ache until I realised why I have the pain.
Not for me.

on 9/16/2013 10:13:00 PM

I love the scent of coconut, so it only makes sense for me to try coconut oil as a moisturizer. I've tried a ton of coconut scented lotions and creams, but nothing can compare to the real deal!
So I bought my jar of coconut oil from whole foods ($20 for 32oz). I think I can easily use this for an entire year.
It has been a few weeks since I started to use coconut oil.

I think it's amazing and here's why:
- Affordable
- Natural/organic
- Does not leave sticky/greasy residue like olive oil. It comes right off when you wash your hands.
- Solid at room temperature - won't spill all over the place
- Excellent moisturizer
- Great hair conditioner (I usually apply to dry hair and rise off after an hour or two)
- Coconut scent!

I usually scoop out 2-3 spoonful of coconut oil(when solid) and transfer them to the smallest tupperware I can find and I would leave it in the bathroom with a spoon. So i'll run the tupperware with warm water after shower and apply with the spoon.
Keep in mind that it is an oil so it does take a little longer to be absorbed than lotion, but it will make yur skin super soft and moisturized after.

on 9/14/2013 11:22:00 AM

Fabulous discovery! Sensitive, dry, rosacea (red bumps on cheeks, at this stage temporary flushing, some pimples), and dark circles..I started applying CNO in desperation during our last holiday in Thailand since the heat and spice really flared up my rosacea. CNO evens out the skintone, calms, reduces pimples overnight and is overall really yummy and rejuvenating. I also take spoonfuls of it, and have started cooking with it.
It is not moisturising enough on its own, so I put Avene Recovery creme on top.
I also use it as a body moisturizer, and makeup remover, and hair mask. It requires 2-3 shampoos to wash it out the next morning but leaves my frizzy fine blonde hair soft, sleek and strengthened.

Also works great for hubby's oily but sensitive skin.

on 9/12/2013 9:07:00 PM

Great product

on 9/11/2013 12:17:00 PM

I use this as:

-lip balm
-hair serum
-face moisturizer
-coffee creamer
-mouth wash (google oil cleansing method)
-body lotion
-cuticle cream

Its my holy grail

on 9/5/2013 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was absolutely horrid for me!! I put it on my hair, it made my hair coarse and frizzy. I put it on my face, it was greasy and I ended up with some weird white bumps (kinda look like whiteheads, but they're hard) that haven't gone away yet a month later. I rubbed it all over my body and it just made me greasy. I tried mixing it with my moisturizer and rubbing it on my body, that was meh. Still a little greasy. I don't know how or why people are raving about this product. I did buy a good organic, cold pressed oil, Nutiva. The only use I have found for it is as an eyelash conditioner, I apply this nightly to the eyelashes and in the morning my mascara slides on like a dream. Definitely WILL NOT repurchase.

on 8/20/2013 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

It works wonders from head to toes.I love it during winter as a body and hair moisturiser,during summer I mix it with sunscreen oil,after depilation it calms the skin and reduces redness,I love applying it on cotton pads and place them on my eyes (it nourishes lashes that are everyday covered in mascara)...

on 8/16/2013 9:56:00 PM

Skin (body) - Love it for skin, though oddly it only works well on my legs. This has replaced anything I've ever used previously on my very sensitive, dry legs. The tub lasts FOREVER (I have Nature's Way brand). If I use too much, it doesn't sink in well, but I've learned how much is perfect and it really is just that......perfect (I use about a quarter sized amount, total, for both legs).

Hair - the jury is still out on this. When I've used it alone (put it on before bed, shampoo out in the morning) it seems to make my hair feel drier. I'm guessing this is due to the protein (my hair is not a fan of protein treatments). However, this past week I mixed a few drops of avocado oil in with some coconut, let it sit for about 20 minutes, then washed as normal and that seems to work well (though I used too much). That was on Monday and today is Friday and my hair shows no signs of needing to be oiled again (and my hair is heavily highlighted, so tends to be dry).

Makeup remover - it will remove eye makeup, but it's not my first choice.

Feet - this is a GREAT moisturizer for feet, especially after I pumice. Love it.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products