July 25, 2014 | 1120 users online

Foundations - Cover Girl - Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2005 2:34:00 PM More reviews by ut88keys

Ok well first of all I have dry mddle-aged skin and need a water-based product...I have tried alot of expensive products and the girl at the Walgreens said this one was new and good..I never have used covergirl products but use L'Oreal if im going cheap. I got the classic ivory as Im a 200 series color..Up front this product has SLIP- major slip!! and I was concerned at first ..but wow does it go on fast!! And I can use a little for a sheer look and apply more for a full coverage.Then I pat it down in the t-zone with a light coat of powder.I use it for everyday and it keeps your skin from dryout (age-defying if you will )It's as good as some more expensive brands IMO

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2005 11:22:00 AM More reviews by countrycats

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had been using the Aquasmooth which I liked but wasnt 100percent happy with the color match..I had to tone down the pink with a green powder..
I tried this in the same Ivory shade and I think I found my HG..
NO pink in this at all and the texture is lighter,sheerer..
My complaint is the packaging is too bulky and the sponge is useless..I use a wedge sponge.. but I can live with that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2005 3:15:00 PM More reviews by abfabjeanius

After reading the reviews on MUA, I decided to give this a shot because I am a fan of the Aquasmooth foundations. The color I got was Classic Ivory, and it was on sale at Target for 50% off, so I got it at $4.94, which I thought was worth it. The application, I found, was a bit difficult. I used my MAC foundation brush #190, and this foundation was kind of hard to blend in because it was so slippery. I kind of felt like I was just wiping stuff onto my face, rather than having it melt into my face. I didn't use that much product, either. When it finally did set, it was quite matte, similar to the Aquasmooth. I was expecting it to have a creamier/dewier finish, but it didn't. I wouldn't buy this product again... I think if I were to try and achieve the same effect, I would get the Aquasmooth, which at least has SPF 15.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2005 7:48:00 PM More reviews by ruthieb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted to like it...so easy to apply & Classic Ivory does look good on my skin without turning colors. Great "slip" & light-to-medium coverage, but I do feel I'm breaking out. Problem is that it may be the makeup (only new thing I'm trying on my skin) but then with my tempermental skin, who knows?! So, I'd say proceed w/caution. If you do not have blemish-prone skin, this is a lovely foundation & so easy to use!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2005 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Shortcake1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hey, Hepgal, glad to see that I wasn't the only one who was having breakout problems with this product. My skin never broke out when I was wearing the BE mineral foundation in fair, so I am back to that, with the Senna mineral bronzer as my "blush". If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Had the CG not caused the breakouts, I would have been very satisfied with the look of the product, but I'd rather have clear skin. Sorry for those to whom I recommended this product if you had the same results as I.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2005 12:48:00 PM More reviews by georgiasweety

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have combination leaning towards oily acne/clogged pore/blackhead prone skin. I bought this makeup after hearing a few good reviews. I was also happy to see it has the Olay niacin which was in the moisturizer I have been using and loving. When picking out a color they were all EXTREMELY PINK looking. More so than their liquid and powders. I chose classic ivory because I had been using the classic ivory powder and the ivory powder made me look ghostly white. I was satisfied with my choice until I got home in natural sunlight and saw it was a little too pink/orange tan for me. I have nw15/20 skin. Im still glad I did not get the ivory because the ivory was pinker then this... Going on it was veryyy smooth, and easy to dip with the sponge except when I applied it I needed to do a lot of blending because I could see lines & streaks on the areas I applied it and I had to really blend with my fingers as well as the sponge to get an even look. The coverage was pretty much see through. I was able to add and layer this foundation after my first coating dried to a powdery finish except I have a lot of redness that this did not cover that well. The next few days after using I did get some cystic acne but Im not sure what ingredient caused this. I also developed really small pimples. The same thing happend after using aqua smooth and this is very similar. In some drier areas of my face this did leave a patchy look but the foundation did feel very wet and nice. Would not re purchase and will be returning. I will no longer go out and buy impulse items just because of the raves on the board lol- to each his own and everyone skin will react differently

rated 2 of 5 on 9/10/2005 3:58:00 PM More reviews by sasseecindy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This creme to powder make up goes on very streaky and takes a lot of effort to smooth. It's also difficult to find the correct color. And the coverage, in my opinion, is too light. This product is being marketed to the 40+ group and this group has lots of age spots to cover.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2005 7:57:00 AM More reviews by roxiblue

This stuff streaked like mad on my skin. It clung to some spots and went lightly over others, so it took me several minutes with damp fingers to smooth it out after applying.
Once it was on, it looked great, but I don't want to spend an extra 10 minutes in the morning just to get my foundation even. It also gave me several tiny pimples in a place I never get them -- my cheeks.
So between that and the high-maintenance application, I wouldn't ever buy this again. The compact I have is going up for swap -- maybe someone who loves it will want it. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2005 6:24:00 PM More reviews by anitabeaver

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have very sensitive skin along with redness and dry flaky patches around my nose. I have to be very careful about what I use or my dermatitis flares up on my face like you would not beleive! I was hesitant about using this because I can wear EL Doublewear without any problems except for a bit of dryness around my nose, so why mess with what works? Well I did and I'm so glad I took that chance! I've been using this in Classic Ivory for three weeks and the coverage is great,it dries to a soft matte finish,you can build up areas where you need more cover,and it doesn't flake out my nose!! Not once,not one time did it ever give me the dry flaky look on the sides of my nose. I did not do anything different with moisturizing my face, it really is the makeup itself. I usually avoid CG products like the plague since my lips balloned up three times their size after trying their Continous Color l/s but this stuff is just fantastic. Oh, and no breakouts. Usually I breakout within 3 to 4 days with a new product. Not one blemish. You should try this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2005 4:50:00 PM More reviews by Seclusae2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

GENERAL DESCRIPTION Water-based "cream"-to-powder foundation with SPF 15 (UVA/UVB). $7-$10 US retail. 9.5 grams/0.33 ounces. It also contains Olay Vita-Niacin complex from Oil of Olay that claims to have "age-defying" properties. See my note on Anti-Aging Properties.

PACKAGING Radiance has the same packaging as Aquasmooth, but only with silver and holographic colors. It looks unique but it has its drawbacks. It is roughly oval-shaped and five (!) inches long. It's a pretty big compact but the actual pan for the foundation is only two inches in the diameter. The rest of the space is dedicated to a compartment for the sponge. Also, despite the fact the compact is so big, the mirror is maddeningly small. I took a point off for this.

Other than those complaints, the compact is sturdy and prevents the foundation from drying out. I guess that's the priority when it comes to foundation formulas like this. Clinique has a similar formula (as do other high-end brands, but I have no personal experience with them) and the compact also has an airtight design but ends up being humongous.

COLOR Cover Girl's color selection is poor to eewww. However, Aquasmooth's/Radiance's warm shades (from lightest to darkest: Classic Ivory, Buff Beige, Soft Honey and Classic Tan) are decent in the sense that they are not glaringly pink or peach. I observed that the cools and "neutrals" are the most disastrous.

I have a medium/NC40s/C3-C4 complexion and I use Soft Honey. Soft Honey is a little too dark and can turn orange but a dusting of powder or mineral makeup corrects all of that. I also sometimes mix Soft Honey with Buff Beige (which would be great for NC25-NC30 or C3 skintones). I simply swipe both colors with the included sponge and blend onto my skin.

TEXTURE Advanced Radiance is a water-based "cream"-to-powder foundation. It has a very light and slick (but not greasy) feel but it dries to a satin or matte finish that has a powdery feel. It truly is a wonderful thing!

Advanced Radiance is very similar to Aquasmooth. As other reviewers have pointed out, Radiance does have more slip and takes a little longer to set. This may be better for drier skins or for people who need more time to work with the foundation. The difference is very subtle. I prefer Aquasmooth's texture but judging from texture alone, I wouldn't mind using either.

APPLICATION Application is BREEZE. The square sponge included works very well. I use it to swipe the foundation on. Five swipes and, literally, I'M DONE. It takes a minute at the most. The sponge can also be used to stipple for maximum coverage. I also use my fingers to spot conceal. In the past, I used a brush for Aquasmooth (which, again, is very similar) but takes a lot more time and it uses up too much product.

FINISH Aquasmooth/Radiance has a satiny finish that can be dewy if you apply it on freshly moisturized skin. It looks extremely natural in ANY lighting scheme, something I've never had in a foundation before. It seems to meld with your skin but covers it at the same time.

COVERAGE For something as light and natural-looking, the coverage is remarkable. It can offer medium-heavy coverage but since it has more slip than Aquasmooth, you need to have a layer of powder underneathe to help the foundation cling onto the skin. With Aquasmooth, I simply used my finger or stippled it on with the sponge. I've used both to cover fresh and old pimples, areas of redness and dark circles around the eyes.

LASTING POWER Radiance's lasting power on my oily skin is nothing miraculous. I can manage to keep it on my skin for the whole day if I blot and powder as needed. It still wears off but the great thing is that it doesn't look horrendous as it does so, unlike my former staple Revlon Colorstay. When it leaves, it leaves quietly and doesn't make a cakey mess. Still, Radiance's performance in this area is nothing to sneeze at considering and 1. I live in Southern California and 2. I have 12 hour days or longer.

ANTI-AGING PROPERTIES? Short answer is NO. The changes in the skin that is associated with aging (ex. wrinkles) start in the deepest layers of the skin where most over-the-counter products (including foundations) cannot reach. If they were able to significantly affect these deep layers, they should not be treated lightly and may need a prescription to acquire. On the other hand, this foundation's ability to moisturize the skin and conceal imperfections does temporarily create a smoother more youthful appearance. HOWEVER, the very weird thing is that for a foundation that claims to defy signs of aging... it doesn't have sunscreen! That's one of the things I loved about Aquasmooth. It had SPF 15 and I didn't need to apply a separate sunscreen and wait for it to set.

OVERALL Fantastic foundation but it doesn't not have sunscreen. I probably will exchange Radiance for Aquasmooth, which does have SPF 15. If Aquasmooth did not exist, I would DEFINITELY stick with Radiance and just put on a separate sunscreen. But since I have a better alternative, I'll just come back to the drugstore and do an exchange. I will not repurchase.

UPDATE I haven't had any pimples for about a couple of months and BAM! I get three of them when I washed this off. I will definitely not repurchase now. continued >>

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No