October 2, 2014 | 1411 users online

Lip Treatments - La Mer - Lip Balm

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2009 5:18:00 PM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

After hearing that this product landed on InStyle's Best Beauty Buys 2009 list, I ran out to the store to get a pot during my lunch hour. If there's anything missing in my routine, it's a good lip balm.

I've been using it for the last week and I have to say, I love it! The packaging is minimal and the actual product looks small for the money, but I can see it lasting for a good 4-6 months with proper care/use. It's a very thoughtfully designed slim pot of lip balm that will fit in your purse or pocket.

I have a constant problem of dry, chapped, flaky lips (even sitting inside an office most hours of the weekday). Once I patted this balm on, I haven't haven't had dry lips since. I can actually see my lips and what they are supposed to look like. I've been applying this at night as well for my before bedtime routine and I wake up with amazingly moisturized lips. I'm sold!

I definitely recommend this as a buy. The cost averages out to a modest price with the duration of the product. Make sure to apply it according to the directions (dab it on the lips, not smear it this way and that).

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2009 4:03:00 AM More reviews by dezzilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i won't buy this balm again even though i love it. it glides on nicely, makes my lips soft and smooth for a few hours. However, $45 a pop is too much. There are much better lip balms out there.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2009 2:58:00 PM More reviews by tawnyinthepink

The La Mer balm leaves much to be desired (for me during the spring/summer months). I actually prefer Tarte's balms for the lighter weather. I'm readjusting my review for the simple reason that during the autumn/winter months this was the balm I went to to keep my lips from getting chapped and it worked wonders. So, I'll wear this for two seasons out of the year. IDK if anyone notices a difference in their usage...but I definitely do!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 2:53:00 PM More reviews by batlet2008

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My chapped, flakey lips are no more thanks to this rather expensive, yummy smelling lip balm.
Packaging is lovely too it came in a gourgeous box and pot is slim and flat and easy to fit in your pocket or bag! Origins perfect world lip balm is in pretty much the same pot but the product inside is no where near as nice to use or as good as this.
Yep its expensive I mean 32.00 for a 9g pot is a hell of a lot of money but I love products and had to try it after the brilliant reviews I had read on here and in magazines. If you want to treat yourself to a luxury product then get this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2009 7:06:00 PM More reviews by xcrowx22

I'm a balmaholic. I try everything I can get my hands on. This balm was recommended to me a few years back, and was described as being "the best balm ever". I wasn't too thrilled about paying so much for a lip balm, but because it's difficult for me to find lip balms that actually do anything for me, I figured it was worth a shot.

And boy, was I right.

I've been using this product for a few years now, and I have yet to find something as amazing (and believe me -- I try). It's soothing, moisturizing, smells great, tastes decent, light on the lips, and my lips are the softest they've ever been. What more can I ask for? It's the only lip balm I've repurchased (not once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR times now), and while it is expensive, it's not the most expensive product out there and it's well worth it.

The only thing that would make this even better is if it came in a tube. But beggers can't be choosers. ;D

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2009 3:19:00 PM More reviews by karolcia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

it's the best lip balm, ever. my lips look and feel smoother, softer, plumper . great for cold days in the winter and hot days at the beach in the summer. #1 lip balm for me. expensive. my husband like it too :) believe me...

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2008 9:45:00 AM More reviews by impeccable02

This is the best lip balm I have ever used.
After trying many, I had given up on lip balm.
Following many disappointments, my idea of lip balm was: cutesy, girly, overly sweet,and exotically (sometimes nauseatingly) smelling goo that will strip your lips of all remaining moisture and leave them in worse condition than before. That is to say, with unsightly cracked and peeling skin.
For a while I just used facial moisturizer for dry skin on my lips and that worked quite well. (Interestingly, I was reading Allure a few days ago where I stumbled uppon an article on lip make-up where Bobbi Brown was recommending using eye cream on lips rather than lip balm as she deems it much more moisturising and conditioning for the lips than most lip balms. Glad to know I'm not the only lip balm-skeptic!)
However, the La Mer balm is different and it is fantastic. Even in the depth of winter, my lips are very soft with zero dryness, flakiness, or ruptured skin. Beautiful! First time this has ever happened. Worth every penny. Will certainly repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by Peri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Hmmm....$45 dollars for a lip balm? I received this as a press sample for an article I'm writing and was skeptical from the outset. Doesn't feel that smooth going on, not does it soften lips...I re-applied three times today and nothing. I'd be willing to challenge any fans to a blind test with other balms...I'm pretty sure Carmex or Kiehl's would beat La Mer ...Though I'm sure people feel good buying it, because $45 almost sounds affordable compared to the creams.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2008 11:35:00 PM More reviews by RoseFraser

This is an OK lip treatment, but you do have to apply it at least three time as day.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by missycat928

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For the price of this balm, I would not recommend it to another user. I am a La Mer lotion and cream devotee (for my insanely dry facial skin). I thought the balm would be equally amazing for my lips. I will admit that it glides on nicely, makes the lips soft for a few hours, and has a nice, clean scent. However, the $45 price tag is a bit much. There are much better lip balms out there for a fraction of the price (such as Neutrogena lip moisturizer - my all time favorite). And, one other negative for me, is that it comes in a pot. I much prefer something that glides on without using fingers or a lip brush.