April 17, 2014 | 1607 users online

Pressed Powders - Physicians Formula - Mineral Wear Mineral Face Powder

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 12:10:00 PM More reviews by laurxrawr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am just finishing my fourth one of these powders. I will not be repurchasing again. I use Creamy Natural and its a great match for my skin. I use it to set my tinted moisturizer or foundation. On a few occasions I just wore this with some concealer underneath. I love the coverage of this. Its capable of covering some of my acne scars. The packaging is awful every single one of these I have owned has broken. Its flimsy plastic. Its not good for oily skin. My skin isn't oily and I still have to blot a bit. The finish is my biggest issue. It is really powdery. If you're looking for coverage then its easy to look powder. If you just use a light dusting of this to set your foundation, then its not so bad. I love that this doesn't irritate my acne prone skin in the slightest. Not having talc in it is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2010 10:31:00 AM More reviews by ariana100

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

LOVEEE this! I do not have perfect skin whatsoever but If i don't feel like putting foundation on, i can wear this alone and still get coverage. I found that using a sponge works great for days that I only wear this because it provides a little more coverage.. but if i wear this over foundation, I apply it with a big fluffy brush and its perfect at setting my makeup! I would definitly recommend this, just don't use the brush provided! that is usually with all makeup that provides applicators, they are usually cheap and crappy. But overall FABULOUS powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by tkowara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I pretty much gave up on finding a decent face powder, because they tend to make my face look cakey and super dry. But recently since I've been using PF's Healthy Wear Tinted Moisturizer, I really needed a powder to set my face and make it look matte when it starts to get really greasy after 4-5 hours.
PROS:
- Talc free
- Result in NO breakouts/inflammations for me (#1 priority for me)
- Goes on sheer and matte with a soft kabuki brush
- REALLY natural coverage (got this in Buff Beige)
- Still looks natural and not cakey after touch-ups
CONS:
- The brush it comes with is utter garbage
- Rather plain packaging
- Packaging looks like it'll pop open easily in my purse (so I keep it in a Ziploc baggie haha)
- The mirror is on the flip-side of the powder tray. That's just weird and very inconvenient.
TIPS:
- for the love of macaroni & cheese, do not use the brush it comes with!
- I use a soft kabuki brush, PAT that into the powder surface, and tap out the excess before applying. I've read other reviews that suggest doing that instead of swirling your brush around in there vigorously. Seems like this pressed powder is too soft and finely-milled for heavy swirling.
- I'm currently using a powder puff for touch-ups but I keep feeling like the powder isn't really getting on the puff so I have to keep going back for more product. So annoying. I'll be purchasing a retractable kabuki soon.
OVERALL: Even though the packaging isn't that great and makes me nervous (thank goodness for that Ziploc baggie), this powder really does do what it's supposed to do, which is why I give it 5 stars! It's noncomedogenic, oil-free, and hypoallergenic so it doesn't block pores, cause breakouts, or irritate my acne-prone, on-Proactiv-regimen skin. It really does give a natural-looking finish that is very forgiving to dry areas, and I find that it doesn't give me fine lines like some powders do. I'm very, VERY happy with this purchase so I will repurchase this when the time comes!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/31/2010 3:43:00 PM More reviews by Kusuriurii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like using this product because it proves efficient in setting my liquid foundation :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by boro

I use this pressed powder as part of my daily routine and i love it. I use it as a setting powder and it fills my pores for that perfect airbrushed finish especially on my nose and cheeks. When applying it I have to dip or pat my brush into the product because when you swirl it the powder gets everywhere and and theres a bunch of excess everywhere. The packaging is a little plain but don't be fooled, its a pretty decent product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2010 4:38:00 PM More reviews by adriennewines

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i love this face power! I love the texture and how my face looks flawless when I use it. I also love the spf...i use moisturizer w/ spf in it, but I like to wear powder with spf to enhance my sun protection, so this fits the bill!
I will be buying this again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2010 4:16:00 PM More reviews by sg00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE (12/2013): 3 years later, and this is still my HG face powder! It looks excellent with my Samantha Chapman buffing brush. No complaints, really.
***********************
I really wish this wasn't my HG face product. It doesn't have the finely milled consistency of some higher-end powders, isn't kind to dry spots like tinted moisturizers would be, and can't provide the perfect finish that only liquid foundations boast. However, it's one of the very few foundations/powders that I can wear and not break out from, and the ONLY one I can sleep in and not break out from. Just satisfying that criteria gives this product 10 stars in my book.

The biggest con to this product is the horribly lacking color selection. I have fair-medium yellow toned skin. Beige is too dark and pink, Buff Beige too dark and orange, Creamy Natural even pinker than Beige, and Translucent too light and pink in undertone. Translucent Light is a surprisingly close match. It's a bit yellow in undertone, so that's great, but it does leave a lighter cast on my skin.

The wear and coverage of the powder is great. It actually lasts the whole day on my combo skin, and mattifies in the process. If I have dry flakes, I have to moisturize plentifully (or just exfoliate) before applying this. I can layer this up well to medium and nearly full coverage. It -will- look cakey at first, but using a water mist or general setting spray after and then letting the powder sink in for about half an hour takes away that unnatural look. Basically, this powder looks better and better as the day wears on. I've found that using a sponge is the best way to go if I want more coverage. I layer it on with quick wipes over the face, and then dab more on those areas that need coverage with bounce-like motions. One more thing to note is that this powder is NOT kind to fine lines. Hope this helped! :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2010 4:35:00 PM More reviews by wfnb1

I am so frustrated looking for a powder foundation that kills the oil but doesn't look dry in the lines around my eyes. This seemed to be the answer to my prayers, but like several others it broke me out. I do not have sensitive skin and at first I thought maybe it was stress, but no. I stopped using this product and my started to clear within days.

***UPDATE***

It turns out it was a change in my dietary supplements that caused my breakout. After trying Bare Minerals new matte mineral powder foundation and having my daughter tell me I looked "creasy," I have returned to Physicians Formula. This morning she told me I looked beautiful.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2010 7:59:00 PM More reviews by KimberlyDoll10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First off, I have tried Bare and Everyday Minerals and I find the PF line is just as good if you dont have severe acne. Most people find that the more expensive mineral brands cover better, though I didnt personally, they did cover but made me look strange and plastic-y.

This isnt the most awesome stuff if you want coverage. I use concealer on the spots I need and use this as a powder foundation on top. I dont have terrible skin anymore though its def not perfect. So I dont think this is meant for those with really bad skin.

But what I love about this is that you can put alot on without it looking chalky, unnatural...or well, powdery! When I was using skincare products that initially made my complexion look ruddy, this covered it very well while making it look natural. I would def choose using concealer and this powder over the other method of slathering on foundation and then using a light powder on top. One tip: after using concealer on spots, using my foundation brush to apply this all over my t zones and cheeks....then I will go over individual spots again with a lip brush dipped in this powder. It blends a spot very very well and makes it less noticeable.

The only problem I have with this really is that if you have dry patches it will highlight them if you dont have a really good moisturizer. When I was using this with a really drying acne treatment, I could not wear this (but then again I couldnt find any makeup that looked quite well with my skin in that state!)

The Translucent Light matches my skin perfectly, and the Translucent is a close match for my skin in the summer. I havent had any problems with it turning "orange" and it lasts a long time on my face even without primer. (this powder plus my primer is the closest to a "flawless finish" look Ive ever gotten) I find the compact itself lasts a long time too...although on my 4th compact of this, I accidentally dropped it and it crumbled up. But that was my fault I guess.

Most of all, this doesnt make me break out, which is a huge thing in my extreme acne prone world. I have accidentally slept with this on several times after crashing at someones house after partying and expected a huge crop of zits the next day...but alas, no increase in breakouts.

The packaging is bulky and I hate how it takes up so much room in my purse.

Overall though, this is by far my favorite foundation (never thought itd be a powder one!) I have tried other pressed powders and other foundations and keeping coming back to this one. (Im on my 5th compact) I can see why others might not like this since there are not a lot of colors to choose from, and it doesnt cover bad skin that well.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2010 2:12:00 PM More reviews by amandalovesmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product! It is my favorite powder that I have ever used. Before I discovered this product, I was used to using talc based powders that my my face break out. When I was at Target shopping, I was passing by the Cosmetics aisle and saw the brand Physicians Formula. I took a look and read on the packaging that it was talc free which was such a relief! I decided to buy the powder and give it a try.

I have currently been using this powder since December and I love it. I use the powder to set my foundation/concealer and it really is wonderful! The powder feels so light on my face and is barely noticeable unlike other powders that I have used in the past.

I think I paid around $13.00 for this powder. Overall, this is the best powder I have ever used. (: