Avene Cleanance soapless gel cleanser for oily skin

3.9

The ingredients for the new formula (post December 2014):The new: Avene Thermal Spring Water, (Avene Aqua), Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Zinc Coceth Sulfate, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Glyceryl Laurate, Green 5 (CI61570), Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Yellow 5 (CI19140), Zinc Gluconate.The ingredients for the old formula: Avene Thermal Spring Water (Avene Aqua), Water, Decyl Glucoside, Polysorbate 20, Ceteareth-60 Myristyl Glycol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Glycerin, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Methyl Gluceth-20, Benzoic Acid, Cetrimonium Bromide, Cucurbita Pepo (pumpkin) Seed Oil, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Green 5, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Yellow 5, Zinc Gluconate

on 2/21/2012 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this instead of Cetaphil cleanser as it's actually cheaper here (8 euros). It's a nice, gentle foaming cleanser. It cleans well and rinses easily without leaving a filmy residue. It is scented but has not made my very sensitive skin react. I find you only need very little product so it will likely last a long time. I have combination skin and find it a bit drying for my dryer parts, but since I use moisturiser I don't suffer from it at all. I use this with Avene's triacneal treatment and am now blemish free.

on 2/15/2012 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I first used this 7-8 years back when my acne vulgaris got so bad and my dermatologist recommended this to help calm my skin. I have extremely large sebaceous glands unfortunately and this cleanser is such a refreshing, no-nonsense quality product. It calms any upcoming pimples and prevents them from becoming evil giant monsters on my face. Lastly, I really like the packaging because the cap can't get yucky dried up gel like my pumps usually do.

I'm being super nice in my review because this face wash helped me out in my teenage years of insecurity due to acne. I use it once-twice a week especially when the hormones are going crazy.

on 2/11/2012 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have never been so in love with a cleanser. It removes all my makeup when I'm too lazy to use an oil cleanser, and never dries out my skin. It doesn't have any strong scent, and it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. The packaging is very minimal, which I love. Comparing it to my old Neutrogena Fresh Foaming cleanser, there is just so much plastic that goes to waste in other brands. I love the fact that it's a little hole dispenser in a clear bottle rather than a pump with an opaque bottle.

on 2/6/2012 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Have been using for 3/4 weeks, once a day (in the evening, just this with Vichy Tri-Activ afterwards).

+ My skin is rid of oil and feels clean without being overdry and itchy. Doesn't really make my acne leave (yet), but has changed the 'type' of acne from big and painful to small and less noticeable.
+ Nice smell
+ Bottle looks classy

- A lot of money
- The cap is annoying to open, especially with wet hands

on 2/5/2012 5:15:00 PM

This a lovely soap-free cleanser. It's non-drying and very effectively removes makeup and leaves no residue. I would definitely buy again, docking one lippie because of the packaging, it would be great if it had a pump.
Update 09/10/13:
This no longer works for me, appears to be slightly irritating and possibly clogging.

on 1/30/2012 4:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Came with my trial kit. Feels gel-like on application, seems to leave a filmy layer upon rinsing (not sure if this is intended, cos I have been previously using another gel cleanser which was meant to leave a protective film)

It takes more rinsing than normal to get the *filmy* feeling completely gone. I've tried both ways, rinsing off completely and leaving the film on, either way, it hasn't caused any breakout.

I use thermal spray directly after patting dry, otherwise my skin will feel tight after this cleanser (which is why I rate 4 and not 5, but then again I have dry skin)

Overall, great cleanser! Will repurchase. Good value for money.

EDIT 27/2
Changed to *No will not repurchase*, not because of the product but it's just too drying for my skin. I'm trying to balance have acne-prone dry skin so, I'm sticking to the cleanance range but trying to substitute this cleanser for another one for combination/dry skin.

on 1/24/2012 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I have very oily skin that can be acne prone when it want to be, so when I use acne medication my skin can get dry. This face wash is perfect for my fluctuating skin! It has never made me break out and even helps keep acne at bay! When i use it, it makes my skin feel SO clean without ever over drying it. It takes off all my makeup too, including mascara and eyeliner! I can't imagine not using it every single day.

on 1/16/2012 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this cleanser has been drying out my skin and although it has helped with the breakouts its drying effect have totally ruined my complexion ,my forehead is now dehydrated to the point where its flaky and drab looking, I would rather have one or two pimples here and there and have a glowing complexion than no pimples and an overall dry and drab face. but My boyfriend who has very oily skin uses it and it works great for him so that why I am putting a neutral rating.

on 1/9/2012 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

i find this cleanser actually makes my face breakout even more after using it for 2 months. its a shame that this company claims their products are for sensitive skin yet packed with fragrance, which maybe synthetic. who knows. anyhow if it was the only option available id buy it again, other than that no.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This cleanser is the best cleanser i ever used. I cannot compare it to others. The thermal water definitely makes a big difference. It cleanses very well, heals skin if its damaged cus of pimples, leaves skin fresh and clear. Has a nice fragrance and its very economical. One bottle lasts me around 4 months. I am currently using it and i wudnt replace it with another, especially a cosmetic type cleanser.