Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 6/8/2009 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love that this cleanser is all natural. I don't mind the tea tree smell at all. It lathers and cleanses very well. I use witch hazel as a toner afterward and there no makeup comes off on the pad. This cleanser gets everything.

I only use it at night because otherwise it would dry out my skin. I use Desert Essence Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer with great results.

If you try and like this stuff, buy the 32 ounce bottle! It's a great deal.

UPDATE APRIL 2012: In the end, I found this cleanser to be too drying for my skin type. Overall I think it would be quite effective for oilier skin types. I still use it as a body wash occasionally, and it's *awesome* for washing make up brushes. So my big bottle hasn't gone to waste at all =)

on 5/22/2009 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I can see where someone with normal to dry skin would not be happy with this product, but at 57, my skin still breaks out. This wash leaves my face squeaky clean. If I find it drying, I will alternate it with a milder cleanser. That said, I suspect I'll be using this for a long time.

on 5/20/2009 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I've recently been on organic products wave ( I started with some GOW). I grabbed this at my local Trader Joes and was floored by the beautifully organic list of ingredients:castille soap,coconut oil, olive oil, tea tree leaf oil etc. I also have their Jojoba oil , which I love, so I thought I'd give this a try. I've only used it twice and never will. The smell is really strange, like really really strong cold tea, I had to hold my breath while I massaged this on my face. Afterwards my face felt super super tight and uncomfortable without that clean feeling.

Some pros: bottle has a pump, lathers well, truly organic, and 100% vegan.

The cons out weight the pros for me, so I will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Oh how this deceived me :( Thought this would be lovely and caring for my very intolerant-to-most-cleansers (argh!) skin as it is all natural, and I was previously using an oil to cleanse with (but needed a bit of decongesting).
After the first 3 or 4 times of use my skin was clear and smooth looking, despite the very odd smell and the insane tightness that was my face after using. Gradually though my skin was becoming drier, flakier, and red! Woke up one of the mornings and my face looked like it had been burned :( I knew it was this because I don't moisturise at night. No need to say that I stopped using it there and then.

As for the ratings: it's a good price, especially if you consider how much the ingredients cost alone, and the pump could be better - it squirted everywhere a couple of times.

This review may be premature but I just have to say "wow" thus far.

I honestly just opened up the package last night and this morning my skin looks better already. This is the only thing I've adjusted - I had a small breakout along my hairline on one side - annoying - and it seems to have diminished already. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that I'm not getting too excited already...

Very liquidy formula, but a little goes a long way. Scent may be too strong for some, too. Very foamy lather. Face felt very clean following.

on 5/4/2009 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Oh. My God. LOVE this :) So, the past month or so, I have been using new products, AHA, scrubs, and my skin *freaked* out. Totally broke out like a teenager. I had this under my sink, and just as a last resort, tried it. WOWOWOWOW. Three days later -- back to my normal skin! I use their Jojoba Oil at night, and their Blemish Stick for spot treatment. LOVE it! So re: the packaging -- I had a couple small bottles of Dr. Bronner's so I put it in that, and it's perfect!!! You have to turn the bottle upside down and push a tad -- since you literally only need few drops of this since it lathers up so well and the pump is not the best type of dispenser for this watery wash, this is the best kind of container to put it in :) LOVE it! When I run out I'm gonna get the refill giant bottle!

on 5/1/2009 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

LOVE THIS.

Pros:
Skin feels seriously cleansed
Takes off makeup, hard to remove mascara, especially
Pores appear smaller
Haven't had one pimple in a month of using it
You really only need a little
PRICE

Cons:
Can make skin feel dry if you use too much
The pump needs work
Other family members start borrowing it

on 4/30/2009 5:21:00 PM

Watery but super cleansing. A little goes a long way, and the price is right. Made my combo skin look cleaner and more even almost immediately. The pump is indeed terrible. UPDATE 06/17/09: I completely changed my mind about this product after extended use. I'd never had whiteheads until I used this for a few weeks! Too bad.

on 4/25/2009 9:16:00 PM

Bought this at whole foods on a whim, got a giant economy size bottle for under 10 bucks I think or close to that. I use this everyday followed by witch hazel toner at night, in the morning I use a light cleanser.

This cleanser is awesome, I pour some on my clarisonic brush and do my regular circulation on my face. I know this cleanser takes off everything because usually my clarisonic brush has a brown shade residue due to makeup but with this cleanser my clarisonic brush is white as pearl! Great for removing all my makeup no matter how heavy. This kept me clear for a month or so but recently my face broke out after trying a new line so now I have to use clenziderm to clear my face up before going back to this.

It's cheap, it works, buy it. :D

on 4/25/2009 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm a female, so i've used just about every facial cleanser under the sun right? I use to use this stuff as a teen and i loved it.. but all my friends always used.. the " Commercial " face washes.. ( haha i laugh at this now.. ) my mom was always telling me "if you want to buy that crap you can use your own money" so i started to buy the "clean and clear" and just about every other anti-acne cleanser. i was getting so frustrated because i could tell a def. difference in my skin.. my skin tone was out of wack. i was always a little red, my t-zone was a lot more noticeable. i was a mess. i quickly realized "mainstream" was not for me.. haha.. so after a couple of years of fighting with "using the cool face wash" i went back to my roots...

I love you can use so little of this and it goes a long way.. massive Foam. keeps your face totally clean. And i know for me.. my tone was instantly better with each use. Keeps my acne prone skin clean and my SUPER oily face under control. i always tone afterwards with Witch Hazel. I LOVE THIS STUFF.. don't get me wrong, i've tried to "Forsake" my favorite face was many a time. but i always come RUNNING back. I love you Tea tree oil and awapuhi ! Go DE!!