Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 6/13/2009 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I first read about this facial cleanser on Vitacost.com and it had good reviews so I stopped by WholeFoods the other day and found it, a little more expensive than online, but my face needed it. I am amazed by this stuff. I have adult onset of acne and I used a new toner with AHA that totally messed up my face. This has turned my face around like nobody's business!! My face is clearing up and my pores are tiny and the white bumps on my cheeks are leaving.
This is a watery cleanser so I got a foamer bottle and poured it in there and now a pump or two and that's all I need and it doesn't run everywhere, less waste. I haven't seen any drying yet, my face doesn't feel tight or dry either. Sure, the smell is strong of tea tree oil but that isn't offensive to me at all. Once you rinse it off, I can't smell any of it.
I intend to keep using this cleanser. My skin reacts very well to tea tree oil so I think this is a keeper.
Update----------8/27/09-I had to stop using this, my skin just got tooooo dried out and then started making more oil which lead to some nasty looking acne that I am fighting now to clean up!! It was good while it lasted.

Desert Essence's Thoroughly Clean Face Wash is not just a face wash... it's a multi-purpose product, a less harsh version of Castille soap. I use this to wash my face after removing m/u with jojoba oil on a cotton pad. This is a bit drying, so I only use it during the peak of summer when my skin is very oily.

That's just the start. What I really love this for is cleaning my brushes, especially my 187, or any brush that's used for oily foundations, pot rouge, or gel eyeliner. It gets the last traces of makeup out of the white bristles of a skunk brush, and I like to think the Tea Tree oil is doing something to help creepy crawlies from making their nests in my brushes.

When my scalp gets really greasy, I've even used this as a shampoo. Just use a deep conditioner afterwards. I carry a small bottle of this when camping as my all-purpose hand/body/face wash.

I bought the pump bottle at Trader Joe's for under $5, and then refill it with a huge bottle that I got at Whole Foods for about $9.00. Would I re-buy? I'm on my second liter of this!

on 6/8/2009 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love that this cleanser is all natural. I don't mind the tea tree smell at all. It lathers and cleanses very well. I use witch hazel as a toner afterward and there no makeup comes off on the pad. This cleanser gets everything.

I only use it at night because otherwise it would dry out my skin. I use Desert Essence Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer with great results.

If you try and like this stuff, buy the 32 ounce bottle! It's a great deal.

UPDATE APRIL 2012: In the end, I found this cleanser to be too drying for my skin type. Overall I think it would be quite effective for oilier skin types. I still use it as a body wash occasionally, and it's *awesome* for washing make up brushes. So my big bottle hasn't gone to waste at all =)

on 5/22/2009 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I can see where someone with normal to dry skin would not be happy with this product, but at 57, my skin still breaks out. This wash leaves my face squeaky clean. If I find it drying, I will alternate it with a milder cleanser. That said, I suspect I'll be using this for a long time.

on 5/20/2009 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I've recently been on organic products wave ( I started with some GOW). I grabbed this at my local Trader Joes and was floored by the beautifully organic list of ingredients:castille soap,coconut oil, olive oil, tea tree leaf oil etc. I also have their Jojoba oil , which I love, so I thought I'd give this a try. I've only used it twice and never will. The smell is really strange, like really really strong cold tea, I had to hold my breath while I massaged this on my face. Afterwards my face felt super super tight and uncomfortable without that clean feeling.

Some pros: bottle has a pump, lathers well, truly organic, and 100% vegan.

The cons out weight the pros for me, so I will not be repurchasing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

Oh how this deceived me :( Thought this would be lovely and caring for my very intolerant-to-most-cleansers (argh!) skin as it is all natural, and I was previously using an oil to cleanse with (but needed a bit of decongesting).
After the first 3 or 4 times of use my skin was clear and smooth looking, despite the very odd smell and the insane tightness that was my face after using. Gradually though my skin was becoming drier, flakier, and red! Woke up one of the mornings and my face looked like it had been burned :( I knew it was this because I don't moisturise at night. No need to say that I stopped using it there and then.

As for the ratings: it's a good price, especially if you consider how much the ingredients cost alone, and the pump could be better - it squirted everywhere a couple of times.

This review may be premature but I just have to say "wow" thus far.

I honestly just opened up the package last night and this morning my skin looks better already. This is the only thing I've adjusted - I had a small breakout along my hairline on one side - annoying - and it seems to have diminished already. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that I'm not getting too excited already...

Very liquidy formula, but a little goes a long way. Scent may be too strong for some, too. Very foamy lather. Face felt very clean following.

on 5/4/2009 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Oh. My God. LOVE this :) So, the past month or so, I have been using new products, AHA, scrubs, and my skin *freaked* out. Totally broke out like a teenager. I had this under my sink, and just as a last resort, tried it. WOWOWOWOW. Three days later -- back to my normal skin! I use their Jojoba Oil at night, and their Blemish Stick for spot treatment. LOVE it! So re: the packaging -- I had a couple small bottles of Dr. Bronner's so I put it in that, and it's perfect!!! You have to turn the bottle upside down and push a tad -- since you literally only need few drops of this since it lathers up so well and the pump is not the best type of dispenser for this watery wash, this is the best kind of container to put it in :) LOVE it! When I run out I'm gonna get the refill giant bottle!

on 5/1/2009 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

LOVE THIS.

Pros:
Skin feels seriously cleansed
Takes off makeup, hard to remove mascara, especially
Pores appear smaller
Haven't had one pimple in a month of using it
You really only need a little
PRICE

Cons:
Can make skin feel dry if you use too much
The pump needs work
Other family members start borrowing it

on 4/30/2009 5:21:00 PM

Watery but super cleansing. A little goes a long way, and the price is right. Made my combo skin look cleaner and more even almost immediately. The pump is indeed terrible. UPDATE 06/17/09: I completely changed my mind about this product after extended use. I'd never had whiteheads until I used this for a few weeks! Too bad.