October 1, 2014 | 1779 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - BIG

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 2:56:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I asked for a sample in lush. After reading really great reviews i thought-wow its great. I have long to hips hair and I expect especially smoothing and making easier to brush them effect... But actually for me its not that amazing. I dont like the salt pieces in my hair, it does clean my hair has nice scent but nothing more. Doesnt make my hair smooth or shiny. And it feels like... more matte texture? Difficult to explain. I dont like it but its not the worst one.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by bondgirl8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I requested a sample of this before dropping $23 on something I wasn't sure I would like. Price is a little hefty, but as other reviewers have said, a little does go a long way, so over time, I'm sure price would be comparable to buying higher quality drugstore shampoos. I have medium/thick almost waist length hair, so my sample lasted only one shampoo. That being said, I think I have enough of an idea to rate. This shampoo was, in my opinion, definitely fun to use :) Gritty salt crystals as a shampoo? Strange, but entertaining. Who would have thought? The SA showed me that the best way to use this was to take some in your hands, rub them together, and then massage into the scalp, using a lot of water. The more water you use, the more lather you get. And boy, do you get a lot! I was very impressed that a sea salt "scrub" was able to produce so.many.suds. Wow. Anyways, suds...great. Other aspects of the product...just ok. My hair definitely doesn't feel any "bigger" than normal, but with the amount of hair that I have, getting body at the roots with just shampoo would be quite a feat. I actually enjoyed the smell of this stuff; in the jar, smells kind of nasty, but leaves a faint, clean smell behind. I suppose my scalp feels clean from the exfoliating properties of the gritty salt, but I don't know if it's any cleaner than normal? I don't wash my hair everyday, so we'll have to see what it looks like tomorrow, but so far, my hair looks and feels like it always does. It's no softer, shinier, or bouncier than with any other shampoo I've used. If this can curb the look of "second day hair", it may be a winner, but only time will tell. Will update :)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2011 8:34:00 PM More reviews by Makeuplvr111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This had a lot of lather and was easy to use. Not at all as difficult as I have read by other reviewers. My hair felt very clean. However, I did not realize this is not for color treated or highlighted hair. It does make your hair feel dry to as you are using it, mostly from the particles I am sure. It smells okay, kinda like your grandma's laundry detergent. I did not use this after about 6 uses once learning that it could harm my highlights.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2011 4:33:00 PM More reviews by twestla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Just bought this today....couldn't wait to try it this afternoon! So, as everyone has said on this site so far...it's WEIRD. That being said, although the scent and texture is unusual, I love it!! For me, the smell is fresh and light. I used the smallest about, and my hair is shoulder length, and it lathered really well. My hair had a lot of product build up, so I shampood twice. Once you rinse your hair it feels squeaky clean, and almost tangled. The SA from Lush warned me about this, and told me not to be discouraged. It was just because there are no silicones in their product. I followed with Lush's Retread Conditioner (also just bought today) And the Lush leave-in treatment for heat styling: R&B. My hairs is bouncy, light, smells fantastic, and I dont have a drop of hair spray or product. It's amazing. Both my son & my husband said my hair smells great too! I will definitely be re-purchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by jezebeljunk

I really love Lush's BIG shampoo. I do feel that, similarly to any Lush product, if you like all natural products you are far more likely to like the texture and smell of this product than if you are into mainstream hair products.

This lovely shampoo has large sea salt chunks in it, which I feel are the main feature of the product. I find Big particularly useful if my hair hasn't been washed in 3-4 days - it completely removes any greasiness. I don't know that I would use it on a daily basis. However, once a week is just perfect for me. It keeps the product special that way and thus I'm always exicted about the texture of the product and the results it provides. It makes my hair very soft and silky.

I do feel that the scent of the product is pretty strong. They could go a bit lighter on the essential oils and fragrance. The packaging is a little annoying because shower water often accumulates in my tub of it as I only have shower floor space in which to set the tub as I am spooning the product into my hand. However, I'm not really sure in what other way this product could be packaged.

I feel quite strongly that if you aren't into natural products then you really shouldn't spend your money on Lush items because you are going to be disappointed. You gotta be into essential oils and non-traditional textures to appreciate a Lush shampoo. Big is like $30, only comes in one size, and they don't sample it. However, if you dig all natural and handmade products, then this shampoo is the bee's knees and I highly recommend trying it for its innovation, creative texture, and excellent results.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 2:53:00 PM More reviews by lapetitefaon

I'm obsessed with this! I never even considered that I could have hair that looks this good! I have baby fine, thin, long blond hair. Big has created a 100% increase in volume! The shampoo has a nice lather and smells delicious. I normally don't spend this much on shampoo but since a little bit goes a long way I don't mind at all! My hair feels a bit straw like initially but once its all dry SO soft and shiny! A couple of friends even asked if I got a new haircut! I use LUSH's retread shampoo on my ends (growing out my color treated hair so the ends are prone to split) its a great combination. Couldn't be happier with a shampoo and I use it daily! LOVE!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2011 1:17:00 AM More reviews by irene82

I wanted to wait a few weeks of using this product before I made an actual review, so I have a more accurate experience with this, rather than reviewing something that I only used once.

While I am really in love with BIG, I don't suggest to use it every single day. 3 times a week should be ok, and should go hand in hand with a light conditioner. I use Lush's Veganese or American Cream.

Also, use a small amount. If you put too much product, I guarantee your hair is going feel like it's being stripped out of all the nutrients. I think some people mistake "vegan" or "all natural" as something they can pile on, but like most things, too much of a good thing is bad.

I literally take about 1/4 teaspoon (if not less) of this product and gently "scrub" it into my scalp, creating a lather. Keep your hair moisturized with the running water. I think this is the "secret".. is that you need a LOT of water for this to work properly. Your hair will feel squeeky clean and fresh. I follow with conditioner I mentioned above.

I'm asian, and my hair is fine, naturally straight and lies pretty flat. I usually avoid conditioner because it does not help the flatness of my hair and find that towards the end of the day, my scalp gets oily and just really gross. But everytime I use Big, my hair feels "fluffy" and clean and like I just gave myself a blow out. AMAZING. My hair stays fairly "big" the whole day.

Overall, I recommend this product to anyone with oily/fine/limp hair. Remember to use in moderation. Don't put too much!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/20/2011 12:10:00 AM More reviews by poreblaster2000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This worked great at adding volume to my fine flat hair, but unfortunately it caused more problems than it solved. It is soooooooooo very very drying and my fine hair couldn't handle it - it got very dry, brittle, felt like straw and I started getting horrible split ends. It also dried my scalp out too and it itched like crazy. I'm not sure I want to spend this much money on something I can only use once in a while, so I'm back on the hunt for my HG shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2011 11:27:00 PM More reviews by hummiemd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My impressions:

- smells like cleaning detergent to me (not awful, just not like your "usual" shampoo)

- interesting to use (get a quarter sized amount in your palm, spread over both hands, massage onto scalp of wet hair until salt is dissolved, wet hair again to start lather, lather rest of hair and rinse)

- made my waist length hair bouncier and lifted at the roots; helped define the wave in my hair

- shampoo gets hair squeaky clean, literally (it worried me at first)

- hair doesn't get very oily/gross as quickly so every other day or every third day hair washing is doable

- a little goes a long way

- expensive, but in same price bracket as other "high end" shampoos

- packaging isn't great for product since salt crystals develop around rim and may hinder screwing shut (just watch out for this and clean accordingly)

- a good conditioner needed for ends of hair if used too frequently

Overall, I would buy this again. You may or may not love this, but that goes for all things in life.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2011 1:37:00 PM More reviews by livingnextdoor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Although it might seem not the best idea to wash your hair with salt, this shampoo actually is really cool.
The salt in it may work as a scrub - to get rid of the skin flakes on a scalp.
I don't know exactly why, but it prevents hair from falling and gives volume to my hair.

I'm not a great fan of the smell - compared to other Lush aromas, it's a bit too usual, I would say, too perfumey, may be. But I don't dislike it.

As for con's - it does dry out your hair, if used daily - you do need to use it in turns with some milder shampoos, and you do need a good conditioner.