July 25, 2014 | 1538 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Bois des Iles

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2003 2:43:00 AM More reviews by ewojdula

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Whoo - is this fragnance interesting or what! When I first apply it...TEQUILA!!! Behind the sweet, fruity tequila is a rather smokey floral blend. I hate smokey, but that note works in Bois des Iles. Most of the time I like this scent, but sometimes I don't.

This is the first scent I ever bought without testing it. After reading its reviews on this board and perfumeemporium.com, I became very intrigued and had to try it! I bought a mini parfume on eBay and am inhaling as I write. Thank you reviewers!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2003 5:22:00 PM More reviews by tishee

While I liked this fragrance I found it to fade very fast on my skin and for this reason I did not like it. But what I did like about it was that it was light and with a hint of florals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2003 3:44:00 PM More reviews by SuburbanSue

This scent is right there on the borderline for me...the borderline of "too woodsy." It reminds me very much of Shiseido Feminite du Bois. I do like Bois des Iles, and I reach for it from time to time. It's warm, a bit smoky, and evokes sensations of walking through the woods in autumn, with the faint scent of a campfire somewhere in the background. If you layer this over a vanilla lotion it is especially lovely. EDITED 3/11/04: I've decided this is much more wearable than when I wrote my review originally. The parfum is stronger and more intensely woodsy; the EDT is softer and sweeter. I layer both, the scent lasts all day, and I simply love it. This is on my "must purchase" list.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2003 10:45:00 AM More reviews by msfast3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I realize I will be in the minority, but I did not like anything about this fragrance. I have worn #5 and #19 and like the crispness of each. Maybe it is my body chemistry, but there was an overwhelming Musk smell from beginning to end. It was also too sweet and powdery. The drydown made me sick. I was so sad because I wanted to love this and tried several times to find some note in it that appealed to me. I could not. The mini I won on Ebay will be given away or resold but I won't be opening that bottle again ever. The search for the perfect fragrance goes on!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2003 10:11:00 AM More reviews by soniax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a dead ringer for SL Bois et Fruits. I love it, but I already have Bois et Fruits. But if I didn't, or couldn't find SL, I would get this one.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2003 8:44:00 AM More reviews by filmart

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I tried the perfume version of Bois des Iles. This scent was way too powdery and heavy on the aldehydes on me, and while I could detect some soft floral notes, they were overwhelmed by other chemical-like ingredients which were very sharp and biting, at least on me. But my experience is probably a rarity, since I've read of so many women loving this fragrance. It probably depends on how your chemistry reacts to Chanel's strong aldehydes, which do not wear well on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2003 11:47:00 PM More reviews by MarksCarltonLane

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

In 1926, Ernest Beaux created Bois des Iles for Mademoiselle Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel. He described it as " ... a whisper of sandalwood, tonka bean and vetiver somewhere between bitter almonds and gingerbread." Monsieur Beaux led a revolution in fragrance when he introduced aldehydes in perfume. Aldehydes are organic chemicals that have a powerful diffusive effect. The result is an opulent top note and is perfectly exhibited in Beaux's prolific, enduring masterpieces such as Chanel No. 5. I am a 45-year-old man who, as a consumer, both relishes and studies fragrances. I recently experienced Bois des Iles after researching and reading all that I could find about the fragrance. Foremost, the opulent top notes of rose, iris and coriander burst silently from the precious flacon like the pressurized gases in a great champagne. Within the first hour of wearing Bois des Iles, top notes settle like darkness over the earth, from east to west, and the most magical, powdery, floral personality rises like the sun the next morning. With the perfume, as opposed to the eau de toilette, the richness of the powdery floral notes endures ... and endures. There is something so utterly timeless, arresting and perfect about Monsieur Beaux's creations of the 1920s. Today, Jacques Polge continues the work Beaux and Mademoiselle Chanel began. Monsieur Polge's creations such as Coco and Coco Mademoiselle are more great testaments to fragrance as art and fashion. We can only hope that he will build further on such perfection. -- Last but not least, Gloss (or, Gloss.com) is a partnership between the Estee Lauder companies, The House of Chanel and another partner whose name escapes me. Gloss now carries the three Rue Cambon fragrances that were once available only in exclusive Chanel boutiques: Bois des Iles, Gardenia and Cuir de Russie. Gloss's stock of these classics is inconsistent. Twice I have been referred to the New York City Chanel boutique because Gloss did not have one or more of the parfums in stock. Also, Gloss can be inconsistent in their customer care. To find the best price, go to BizRate.com, enter the name of the Chanel (or other) scent you're trying to find and you will locate the best price among customer-rated sites.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2003 10:56:00 AM More reviews by vettegirl96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am so glad I found this site! You ladies have introduced me to some wonderful products through your reviews, and this product is one of my favorites! It is different from modern scents..very soft and warm. Also, it does not have that harsh, alcohol-y odor when first sprayed on that so many scents do - it smells wonderful from first application and only gets better on dry-down! This will become one of my staples...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2003 11:11:00 AM More reviews by fcappy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

To find this fragrance you must explore - it isn't mentioned with all the other Chanels and for good reason. This is not a commercial scent but one that perfectly represents the classic style that is Chanel. Warm, woodsy and incredibly sensual Bois is just lovely. The EDT stays on my skin for an amazing 8hrs. I can only imagine the power of the parfum (which will be on my holiday wishlist). This is sophistication in a bottle and possibly my winter signature. Thank you MUA for this treasure.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2003 9:22:00 AM More reviews by whytoe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this! I bought a mini parfum off of e bay and can't wait to buy a full size parfum. It does have that classic Chanel vein, (it really reminds me of #5), but it is softer and more refined on the dry down. We are getting ready to start a family and I for some odd reason want this to be the scent my children will remember from their childhood. Truly a must have more the serious collector.