December 18, 2014 | 1710 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Shine Free Pressed Powder

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2005 5:33:00 PM More reviews by monkeymoogle

edit 01/28/06 - I've found after months of using this product that it _does_ cause a multitude of small irritation pimples to explode all over my face; is it blocking pores, are the ingredients disagreeing with me, or is there some other explanation? Whatever the reason, I'll be trying a new product and leaving this one as a last resort.

initial impressions -
I was out looking for a new pressed powder to help my liquid foundation battle oily skin and came across this product. "Shine Free" by Maybelline claims that its oil free formula will do the trick, and will even keep skin shineless for hours. Nicely noted at the bottom it lets consumers know which skin type its best for: combo to oily skin - perfect for me. The shade range I noticed could use some improvement: from ivory to tan is decent, but what about darker skinned people? "Shine Free" claims in full that it is: oil free, fragnance free, won't clog pores, hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, non acnegenic, and dermatologist tested. It promises it won't overdry or cause breakouts.

single use -
To test it out I applied it to my clean, makeup-free face the next day. It applied very nicely like it promised, and even without foundation did a satisfactory job of concealing. After a few hours my face was still oil free! I was amazed. However, I began to feel a bit of irritation, particularly around my nose and chin. The pressed powder also gave off a bit of a smell, despite its claim, which annoyed me. Still, at the end of the day when I removed my makeup (by that time my skin had glossed over, but it still wasn't abnormally oily in appearance) I hadn't broken out. So far so good.

successive uses -
I currently use "Shine Free" with Revlon's "New Complexion" makeup and my skin looks natural and feels great even after hours of having the makeup on my face. Usually after about six or so hours I need to reapply "Shine Free" but that's a big improvement over what I'd previously been using (some CoverGirl pressed powder I can't remember the name of). For a bit of time I used it with CoverGirl's "Oil Control" liquid foundation, and it did a far better job at controlling oil than the liquid foundation ever did (which is reasonable considering liquid foundation is, well, liquid). I don't feel any irritation, probably because the liquid foundation keeps my skin somewhat hydrated. I've experienced no breakouts in direct connection to using "Shine Free". The worst I can claim of "Shine Free" is that it might cause some minor uncomfortable tightening around the nose and chin, and it has a fragnance despite claiming to be fragnance free. Even so, this seems like a good product for people with acne-prone and/or oily skin, and I have yet to find a better product. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2005 1:52:00 AM More reviews by cmhwi

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have purchased this powder for a few years now and find it does the job well. It holds back the shine nicely. Gives a nice overall look without an obvious appearance, will continue to buy this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2005 2:03:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This powder helps control oil, but that is the only redeeming quality it has. The texture is terribly chalky, so it doesn't look natural at all. I have ivory, and the color is a little light, even for my fair skin. MAC Blot Powder is so far superior that even the low price of this powder isn't enough to make it worth purchasing again.

Ingredients: Talc, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Kaolin, Zinc Stearate, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Silica Silcylate, Propylparaben, May Contain: Mica, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2005 11:40:00 PM More reviews by xxparisonfire

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Horrible horrible make-up...Yes it did control my shine, but it completely dried out my skin.

Will never buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2005 6:54:00 AM More reviews by ToniRenee

I hated it. It gave no coverage at all, and it went on really chalky. Also, the lightest shade they had was still WAY too pink for my pale skin, even though it looked light enough in the compact. However, the worst thing about it, which is suprising, is the fact that this powder made my face greasier than anything else I have ever used in my life. It made my face so oily, it felt slimy to the touch. I have a problem with shine, but had never experienced anything like this. At the end of the day, I went straight home, washed my face and threw it in the trash. Awful.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2005 9:47:00 PM More reviews by satin828

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have this powder in ivory, the lightest colour. Although I have light skin, I use this almost white powder so that it doesn't darken my foundation like all my other powders. And this one doesn't do that at all. I put a lot of powder on and this doesn't turn cakey or anything. The texture is super silky, making every application perfect despite the horrible puff that comes with it. I just use a small round brush instead. My only complaint is that it needs to be reapplied at least once during the day. Otherwise, this is a really nice powder. But the case is the worst one I have seen in powders. It leaks a lot when there's only a little bit of product left. Yuck!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2005 2:25:00 PM More reviews by FranP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I always come back to this pressed powder, as I try other drugstore brands and they do not work as well for me. I wear this in natural beige over Shine Free liquid foundation in the Golden shade.( See my review on Shine Free liquid foundation) This is an excellent duo for me foundation/pressed powder as it seems they work together well at keeping me oil and shine free. I am 30yrs old with very oily skin that is acne prone and wearing the Shine Free products works very well for me. I do not break out from using these products, of course I get the occasional monthly pimple or two and knowing my luck always will. I will say putting this over the top of the Shine Free foundation will give you a very nice matte finish. I only have to blot maybe 1-2 times a day too. The price is very reasonable. I say if you have oily skin, give it a whirl!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2004 8:22:00 PM More reviews by gizzo_glo

I've been using Maybelline Shine Free pressed powder for the past 5 years. Before that, I've used nothing but department store brand powders. A friend of mine kept teasing me that I was waiting my money and told me to try Maybelline. I tried it and I feel in love with it right away. I have oily skin and this thing goes on smoothly and nicely. I don't think it really keeps my skin from being oily throughout the day though. I love the sheerness of the powder, which feels really light on my skin. I just hate the fact that I wasted my money all those years before using this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2004 8:43:00 PM More reviews by rock_chip

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is an old staple that I've been using since high school. I have a perfect color match in Golden (extremely yellow - rare for a drugstore product), it's sheer enough to not be obvious and it does what it's supposed to do. My only complaint would be that it needs to be redone about halfway through the day, but what powder actually lasts for 8 hours? Anyway, good purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2004 7:21:00 PM More reviews by tambien

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this! I can always rely on Maybelline for inexpensive powders with yellow undertones. I have combination skin and this is the first compact that does the job of keeping my skin mostly oil-free through the day without a ton of product to clog pores. (It does go on a bit thick during the winter over dry spots, but that's nothing a little moisturizer can't fix.)

It provides great coverage too - sheer and matte, but still hides blemishes. I can now be rid of my Studio Fix (and bad breakouts)! Definitely a staple for me.