August 22, 2014 | 1059 users online

Skincare - Face - Dickinson's Witch Hazel

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by sam740

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have had this product in my cabinet on and off for years, as my husband loves it for razor burn and I find it really helpful in relieving hair removal-related irritation on my legs and bikini line. I was suffering a really bad breakout and, because witch hazel is anti-inflammatory, thought it would be a good idea to help treat my acne. I dabbed it all over the affected areas and went to bed, waking up to a much worse situation in the morning. I thought I had found my HG toner!! It tightened my pores, reduced redness almost instantly, and left my skin smooth and taut.

I continued using it regularly for two weeks, and that's when the problems started. I generally have really clear skin, other than the occasional terrible reactive breakout (I'm a product junkie, and my face is my testing ground). After having great results for two weeks using witch hazel, I started to get red splotches all over my face, and then broke out in rash-like bumps all over my cheeks and chin - which is where I had been concentrating the witch hazel. i tried dabbing more witch hazel to reduce the irritation, which worked for a few minutes, and then left my skin even more inflamed than before.

It turns out that the 14% alcohol content and the high tannin level of witch hazel can actually be really irritiating to skin after regular use - something I definitely found. So while I find it ok for occasional use to treat razor burn or a zit here and there, I definitely don't recommend it for daily use. I'm still trying to recover from the angry, red, dry, irritated state witch hazel left my skin in! :(

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by Lily580

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this product way back when I was in highschool and I'm not sure why I stopped! Possibly the smell! But I just started using it again and I'm loving it. It's fantastic for oily skin. Leaves you feeling fresh and bright and I believe it does keep the zits at bay. Skin looks tight and shiny afterwards which some people don't like but I recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2013 5:37:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

This is a good & cheap toner for oily skin all over! For years, I've struggled with the embarrassment of acne on my chest and back, and tried many remedies to cure it (vinegar, salacylic acid, exfoliating, benzoyl peroxide etc). Nothing has made a difference like Witch Hazel. My review is solely based on my experience applying it with a cotton round to my back and chest every night for the past year. The breakouts are gone and I'm so happy with my clear skin. The only gripe I have is the smell- it reeks of alcohol, but dissipates after a few minutes. I've tried this HG on my face too, but found it drying. If anyone out there is struggling with "bacne" or unsightly blemishes on their body, I suggest you try this miracle product NOW!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by serines

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product. It is the best thing ever. My face is so much clearer after using it. I would buy it again and again, unless I try a different, more pure brand. This one has alcohol, I know that alcohol is drying. It'll leave my skin a little flaky if I go too long without moisturizer. But other than that, this is an amazing product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by cheljo01

Just bought this yesterday and have used it 3 times (last night, this morning, and tonight.) I love this stuff! It works soo well as a toner. Doesn't make my face itch or breakout worse. It took most of the inflammation out of the few cystic acne spots along my jawline/chin. There's virtually no bumps. The alcohol in this is very little and just enough to dry out the areas that need it. I really do love this stuff, it is awesome! The smell is pretty horrid, but it doesn't last long at all. I will definitely buy this again. I'm so glad I found it!
EDIT 1/20/2013: So I've been using for about a week or so now. 2x daily. I frickin' love this stuff!!!! It really makes my face feel so clean after my shower or exfoliating. I have noticed that on my nose, where the blackheads congregate and form an alliance to annoy me the most for many years since puberty, they are shrinking!! The folds of my nose where my nostrils are have been drying out due to exfoliating and this and so it's peeling a bit, but i just smack some moisturizer on it and it's good to go. It's definitely helping those pesky blackheads and enlarged pores. I can see how this whole new exfoliating and toner stuff is making my skin rejuvenate itself the proper way. Again, smell is gross and horrible, but it doesn't last long and you get used to it. YES YES YES, will buy again whenever I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2012 1:43:00 AM More reviews by topnotch_babydoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Im so glad i've discovered this witch hazel.I have sensitive,acne prone skin.I use this at night after my neutrogena makeup wipes,and it takes off every speck of makeup.It deep cleans,evens out skin tone and reduces inflammation.It's very mild and I've also been using it on my BF who gets cystic acne,and have seen visible reduction on the cysts.I use dior comfort creme moisturizer and my skin feels supple and toned.I would highly recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

I have been using nothing but witch hazel to tone my face for years, and I love it! It is gentle and does a really great job at removing those last bits of makeup that you cannot see. The smell is very mild, and if it bothers you, you can always add a drop or two of essential oil to the mix. I pour mine into an old spray bottle (a dermalogica toner bottle) and spray it onto a cotton round. I use this to tone morning and night and my skin feels ultra clean. Some reviewers have said not to use this as it contains a small amount of alcohol, but for me, I do not find it to be drying in the slightest. In fact, my former hg toner (Clinique) has alcohol listed as the second ingredient and costs over $15 a bottle! Most toners contain alcohol. Personally, I find that this works great and my skin looks fantastic. One thing worth mentioning, though, is that I apply lotion immediately after using this, so that could be why I dont experience any dryness too.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by AestyPase26

After looking for a toner for YEARS I've finally found one that makes me feel clean and hydrated! This is now a staple in my beauty routine for both day and nightly use...

I make my makeup remover with this also: 50% Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Cold pressed) and 50% Dickinson's Witch Hazel. Place in bottle, shake before each use and use a cotton ball to clean of makeup and gunk before nightly cleansing. Then follow with a cotton ball of the witch hazel as a toner after cleansing.

I pay under $10 for this at Walmart which is great!! Roughly with tax it's just over $6.00.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 10:15:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The best toner I have ever used! Keeps my combination skin balanced and oily free. I love how it seeps into my pores and removes all the makeup water can't do. My skincare routine has never been easier. I love how I finally found something that's 100% natural and affordable.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2012 7:29:00 PM More reviews by tinytlf

I love this stuff! I bought Dickinson's Witch Hazel after doing research for natural skin care products and reading all the rave reviews for this Witch Hazel. After I began using this as a toner I noticed the amount of oil that my skin produced to decrease. It also did not cause me to breakout. I will definitely keep using this.