April 24, 2014 | 1875 users online

Foundations - The Body Shop - All-In-One Face Base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 11:50:00 PM More reviews by stefie2104

I am caught surprised by this compact. I used this many many years back, the green, cheap-looking compact, with thick coverage, when applied can see patches and patches of foundation on skin.

Now this improved vision is perfect, -1 for the price. The SA said I can just apply this after using Seaweed SPF 15 Lotion. I tried this morning, cannot make it without makeup base. So I applied Shills BB lotion then followed by this powder using TBS face and body brush. Wow... No need concealer, I am good to go. Weekend i can live without the BB lotion, just this powder.

Singapore is selling this at SGD 34.90 for 9g product. I was using MAC MSF powder. This will replace the MAC MSF cos my face looks much brighten, smoother and better coverage. I am happy person. Thanks to the wonderful SA who helped me to make the right choice.

Updated on 06-Aug-09: Okay, I have left this in my office drawer for touch up only. Reason being, 1 day I left my wet sponge in the compact, guess what the inner silver cover flake. My whole sponge is full of silver flakes, I can only use Kleenex to wrap up my sponge before I put into the case. Remember do not put wet sponge into the compact. Nowsaday I just use La Roche Posay Treatment Liquid foundation before I leave home, when touching up in office I just use this wonderful powder (san the lousy packaging). I have to even out the LF before I can use the powder to touch up, if not it will look patchy. This powder does not show my flaking skin as compare to other powder. Now my skin just look flawless even with some drying up pimples, red marks and flaking skin around my nose. Will get this powder again, still very much in love with this powder:) :)

Update 28-Dec-09: My skin condition improved alot after using TBS skincare. Now I can just use this foundation without any base, just Clinique Super sunblock SPF40 and this compact, I am ready to go. I just bought TBS Flawless cream makeup SPF25, quality is also good, much better than some counter brands like SKII, shiseido, kose and cheaper. Very please with TBS effort for making good makeup. Just 1 thing, I am using no. 3 for this foundation and no. 1 for Flawless cream compact; I wonder if people who are fairer than me, can find suitable colour??

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2009 10:38:00 PM More reviews by hein0201

This is my HG foundation. I (for some reason) like to try everything else, but I always come back to this. It's not exciting, but it's wonderful!

I use it dry, and the coverage and finish are perfect for me. I feel like my skin can breathe, like I'm not wearing a mask, but that I am as close to flawless as I can be. The packaging is wonderful, and the sponge is functional and lasts for me as long as the powder does. It also is kept in a separate compartment from the powder, which is great.

I only have two complaints, but these don't affect my score:

1) The colors are for lighter-skinned folks. Don't know why, because many of the promotional signs and such for the make-up have women of color. I am quite fair-skinned with pink undertones, and I use the #3... out of 6. I think this is inadequate for today's women of color.

2) I wish the packaging could have refills! It seems such a waste to throw away when I'm done!

That's all for my complaining! Other than that, it's a perfect fit for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2009 3:39:00 AM More reviews by unche

Finally, a foundation that comes in a colour pale enough to match me! It looks and feels really natural and provides a very nice finish. I also like that it takes less than a minute to apply ><.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who needs a great deal of coverage as it's best suited to cover up moderate redness and discolouration. The main thing keeping me from giving this a 5 is the fact that it isn't terribly long wearing, perhaps 3 hours or so (I wouldn't complain if it wasn't advertised as long-wearing). The packaging is also kind of unattractive.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2008 6:44:00 PM More reviews by taskinillusion

PROS:
- Didn't look or feel cakey at all (I can tell you that I put a lot of foundation). It felt and looked soft and powdery, in a good way.
- Left me matte for 8 hours. My forehead looked pretty flakey though, maybe because I didn't use a primer or a moisterizer before.
- Didn't cause any breakouts (yet). I only used this for 3 days though, but I have a very oily T-zone.
- The color blended pretty easily. I bought this in shade 06 (not my usual shade but I just tanned so much this summer). From the website, it looks kind of yellow, more than shade 04 and 05. However, when I went to buy it, it was the opposite: 04 and 05 looked much more yellow than 06. The woman there recommended shade 06 (more pink than yellow). Although my skin has yellow undertones, it blended perfectly. Okay well, it did leave a pink undertone, but just a tiny little bit. I still looked very natural and no one knew I was wearing foundation!
- Covers minor imperfections well and my skin looked smoother.
- You can actually see yourself in the mirror. It is kind of flexible (not sure how to describe it) so you can see yourself in different angles.
- The package has 2 "levels". On the 1st one, there is the sponge which is not bad at all. On the 2nd one, there's the foundation. Not the opposite, unlike some powders.

CONS:
- I wished it was less expensive. I bought this at 20,00$CAN, it's not that much, but I'm used at buying drugstore brands.
- The plastic package looks a bit cheap. I always wonder when it'll break. I've seen worse though.

Would I buy it again? Definitely! I think I would try the shade 04 or 05 again though. Maybe a yellow-undertoned foundation would look even better on my Asian skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2008 5:55:00 AM More reviews by livviilee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I went in curious about the new mineral makeup range, and the sales person suggested this one instead. Due to my daily skin care regime followed by twice weekly face masks my skin has improved considerably, and being close to summer here, I only needed slight coverage to even out my skin tone. After covering my pimple scars and redness on the side of the nose with their concealer, I used their face and body brush (sooo wonderful and soft on my skin). At first I couldn't tell that if there was any difference, however after about a minute I noticed a slight soft focus effect. The SA advised me this product was best suited for those with normal to dry skins. I did moisturise my skin beforehand, therefore dryness wasn't an issue. This product will be great on occasions when one has to be photographed due to the lack of sunscreen, therefore sunscreen is a must for everyday use. I didn't have a problem with the smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2008 6:54:00 PM More reviews by CurlsAloud

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product - I'm on my third one now. At first I wasn't overly keen, but after I got used to applying it, it's my HG powder foundation. I use shade 03 which is a little more pink toned that most in the range - I'm usually an NW20 in MAC foundation for comparison.

This is a great everyday makeup. If I need serious coverage, I apply it with the sponge being careful to blend very well as it can look cakey. If I need a lighter coverage I use a brush. Either way it evens out my skin tone nicely and gives me a velvety finish. Nice product.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2008 12:55:00 AM More reviews by 1NTOXICATED

I bought this compact wayy back after I finished my MAC Studio Fix (which was my first powder foundation btw). Got it in 04.. I'm around NC25 or NC30. I wasn't so crazy about it when I first tried it. Firstly, the smell put me off (it still does now) and it did not help with my oily skin. In fact, I thought it was making my skin oilier. I did continue to use it for a while though because I didn't want to buy another foundation as I was young (9th grade) and poor haha. When I got more into makeup I left that aside because I decided I did not like matte finishes and that it looked cakey. Moved on to liquid foundations and now MMU. I like the finish of mineral makeup but I don't find they give enough coverage.. especially the red blotches on my cheeks. Anyways, yesterday I found this in one of my drawers full of makeup I don't use (partly because it cracked so I stopped carrying it around with me). I decided to give it another try but this time with a kabuki instead of the sponge and also now that I've discovered face primers! It was way less cakey this time round, probably because of the brush and the oilies seemed to be in control better than I remembered back then. I'm still not a big fan of very matte finishes, so I did top it off with some MMU. I went out to a barbeque that night and a girl told me my skin looked flawless.. it was in natural lighting too :) I think I will give this foundation another try. There was never anything wrong in terms of coverage.. I still need a concealer for my horrendous undereye circles but this covers my old acne scars and evens out the red patches on my cheeks great! I will likely purchase this again in an 05 because it's the summer and I'm getting darker.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2008 4:39:00 PM More reviews by adri721

I went through 3 of these until i switched over to mineral makeup. I liked the ease of application, good coverage (i didnt use concealer with this), and matte finish. I didn't like the weird smell of the sponge and of the powder itself. Also the colors are very limited, there are only 6 shades and they are all medium fair to medium...so yeah not the best selection. It didn't break me out, and I liked the lightweight texture compared to cream or liquid foundation. All in all, this is a pretty good powder foundation, and I would still be using it if I did not discover mineral makeup.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2008 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Ronbong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product breaks me out horribly!!!

(+): coverage is ok, cheap (compared to my YSL), case has a separator for sponge

(-): sponge has a disgusting smell that can't be washed out, a little too dry (flaky), CAUSES BREAK OUT

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2008 7:36:00 AM More reviews by kristabunni

EDIT EDIT: I've bought more than I can count of these, and stock up every time TBS has a sale. HOLY GRAIL. I now wear the 06 shade.

Original review:
I found that this product gave hardly any coverage. I tried applying it with a dry sponge, wet sponge, and with a brush, and for the three months or so that I've been using it, I feel and look as if I'm not even wearing any makeup, in a bad way. My skin flakes each time I use it. Also, the colour was really hard to match to my skin. It came highly recommended by a friend, so I want it to work well, but I think I'm giving up on it entirely.

EDIT:

So I'd like to tag on an addendum to this review: the problem was not with the product itself, but with the sales person who matched the colour for me. At the time I was unaware that in any given TBS, there's only one person who is schooled in make-up application. I assumed that since customers can book makeovers at TBS that most sales people there were qualified to do so. Anyway, I'm Chinese and have the requisite fairly pale skin with yellow undertones, and 04 was too light for me, hence the lack of coverage. It just made my blemishes stand out more against the washed-out colour. When I went again with my friend, who had recommended the product to me, she matched me with 05, and since then it has been my go-to in the morning when rushing out the door. Just swipe on each cheek, nose, forehead and chin, and your on your way to work or school. It applies smoothly with the given sponge as well as with a dampened foundation brush, and is easily portable and durable. Concentrate it a little more on blemishes and in a pinch you won't even need concealer. Anyway, I highly recommend it for when you're on the go, or just to keep in your purse for touch-ups.