Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation Stick

3.4

OUTER CORE Ingredients: Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Polyethylene, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Diisostearyl Malate, Ozokerite, Polyvinyl Laurate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Caprylyl Glycol, Propylene Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Pca, Acrylates Copolymer [+/- May Contain Ci 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 / Iron Oxides, Mica] F.I.L. D158948/1. INNER CORE Ingredients: Isononyl Isononanoate, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Cera Microcristallina / Microcrystalline Wax, Phenyl Trimethicone, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Copernicia Cerifera Cera / Carnauba Wax, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Nylon-12, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Pca, Acrylates Copolymer, Lauryl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer [+/- May Contain Mica, Ci 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499 / Iron Oxides] F.I.L. D158947/1

on 4/10/2014 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I tried this for the first time a few days ago after reading both good and bad reviews and I have to say I was pleasantly suprised. Most mornings I get out of bed 10 minutes before I'm supposed to leave for work and never have time to do my usual liquid foundation routine so this little stick is very handy! It glides on very smoothly and is easy to blend in with either fingers or a makeup brush, I use shade 220 which matches perfectly - better than any other liquid foundation I have. Some foundations can go shiny after a few hours but this doesnt seem to with this, the coverage is medium which is fine for work/everyday use. I would still use my liquid foundation for going out on the weekend and special occasions for more coverage. The packaging is cute and handy to take in your purse but im not sure how long the stick itself would last with everyday use.
Overall this is great for if you need to do your makeup in a hurry and want medium coverage.

I bought this from my local drugstore for only $3.50. I don't know if this was a mistake on the sales assistants behalf but it was a bargain. I'm quite impressed with this product. I use 110 and find its a perfect colour match for me. It blends easily and I'm left with an even skin without a cake faced look. Very impressed.

on 3/28/2014 1:44:00 AM

Shine free? Not at all! I've never used a foundation that has left me so shiny and greasy. It's nice to apply but I can barely cover the shine right after it's applied with a matteifying powder directly after. I do have very oily skin but Revlon Colorstay foundation usually holds for about 4 hours. This barely holds for 2. I'm disappointed since it actually has a shine free core. and does nothing to combat shine o. my face anyway.

on 3/27/2014 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really like the concept of this foundation but not so much what it does. The idea of a foundation in a stick is great; it's very quick to apply and is portable although not sure that cap would stay on in my purse. Just swipe the stick directly on your face or onto a sponge and away you go. I have oily skin and this foundation works well; for dry skin it might be a problem. There is no oil breakthrough at all. Although lightweight this foundation is buildable up to a point. Apply too much and it starts to look cakey, and weird. My two biggest complaints is how it looks later in the day. Like many compact cream to powder foundations this starts to look patchy and well, a bit ghoulish once you've had it on several hours. Something with the formula breaks down and all these shadows appear. I have also had problems finding the perfect color. 120 though light is a bit too dark for me and 110 is really too light. I'm in between. Could go to the trouble of blending the two together but think I'll go back to my Cover Girl Sensitive oil free makeup in Classic Ivory; a perfect match for my skin tone.

on 3/27/2014 2:29:00 AM

Overall, this foundation is pretty good! A dream to blend and the shade I got fits me perfectly, the Fit Me line really gets my skintone. I wouldn't say the product is very high coverage but it is blendable, clings onto dry patches really badly but I don't often have dry patches so it's ok for me. The only complaint I have, is that while it's easy to blend, it dries to an almost powder finish, so no powder is needed, yet it still feels a little moist on my skin. I choose to set it with a spray. Very mattifying though, I would recommend :)

on 3/25/2014 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I thought I actually found my shade but nope, it tricked me once I left it on for over an hour. The whole fitme range is ridiculous. I found that the light shades (110-120) for the stick foundation were made for red undertone. The texture is odd, applied like cream, wait a moment then it'll feel powdery then moist again on the skin. On another note, the price. It's retailed for $15.95 in Australia and there's not even three months worth of product in the tube. I doubt it'll last a month on a daily use.

on 3/23/2014 8:42:00 PM

If you have oilly skin, you will love this. Dry skin, run! It'll amplify your flakes like a pressed powder. I love how fast and easy this is to apply. The coverage is medium, so it covers yet looks natural. I don't find I need to reapply often. Washes off easy. Wonderful for your purse, or make up drawer. I keep buying it!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this stuff! It has nice coverage and lasts all day. I use this as my everyday foundation. A total repurchase.

on 3/19/2014 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Great foundation. I am in shade 110 Porcelain and it's the only foundation I have used that doesn't look orange on me. It is so blendable and it great even for my severe dry skin. All I do is use a moisturizer and primer and it glides on so much. I just went back and purchased a second one!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Pros:
- Widely available (at drugstores, major retailers, etc.)
- Lightweight
- Buildable coverage
- Portable packaging
- Easy to apply
- Fades gracefully

Cons:
- Expensive (~$7.00-$10.00 USD for 0.32 oz. or 9 g)
- Rubs off easily
- Not soft-focus or HD
- Cheap packaging

Reference:
I used the Maybelline Fit Me Foundation Stick in shade 220 for my fair-medium skin with neutral undertones (although I have yet to try MAC foundations, I estimate that I am in the NC 20-30 range); this shades matches my skin tone perfectly. Since I have very oily skin, I have also used the Neutrogena Shine Control Primer with this product. I don’t set this product with powder (more on that below).

My Experience:
I found that this foundation stick applies best when my face still felt dewy from moisturizer or as soon after I apply primer and blends best with a slightly damp sponge. I have blended using my fingers in a pinch, but the results did not give me the same initial "airbrushed" look as the sponge. I use the term "airbrush" loosely as finish and longevity is where I felt that this product lost the most lippies. I typically apply two layers, blending between each to even out my complexion from acne-related discoloration. Some days, this product applies beautifully, but equally often, this product cakes regardless of how little I apply or how much I blend. I’ve tried to correct this by setting and buffing it out with powder (Tarte Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder), but doing so made it cakier, upsetting the illusion of the “natural,” “no makeup” look.

Throughout the course of the day, this foundation soaks up oil like a sponge, giving you the appearance of a supple and even skin texture. However, this effect only lasts for so long, about two hours for me, before having to blot or touch up again. Perhaps it is because I don’t set this with powder, but a considerable amount of product transfers when I use oil-absorbing sheets. I imagine that a makeup setting spray would be the best method of setting this foundation without risking a midday oil slick or having to go out with too much powder, but I have yet to experiment with this.

After application and blending, sweat and wear, this product looks great from a distance of 2 feet (60 cm) away or more. I don’t recommend it for anyone who wants a soft-focus, camera-ready coverage since pores and product are noticeable up close. My last positive critique of the foundation is that is fades gracefully, meaning that unless product is rubbed off of one area of the face more than the other, it fades evenly or that there isn’t a lot of blotchiness at the end of the day.

That in consideration, I give the actual product 3 out of 5 lippies.

Other Comments:
The product comes in a light, black glossy plastic tube with a clear top, not unlike a lipstick. I gave the packaging 4 out of 5 lippies because the cap is very flimsy and while I have not actually have this problem, I could imagine it easily sliding off while being toted around in a bag. For those of you who use or have had used Nivea lip balm tubes, this Maybelline Foundation Stick does NOT have that satisfying click when you snap on the cap!

Closing Statement:
Overall, this is a good product... Maybe not the best for me. In spite of that, I recommend it to anyone who wants a quick, no-fuss foundation—swivel, draw, blend, and go! I do not recommend this product to anyone who wants full coverage or HD-quality finish.

[EDIT]: Blending the product using a patting motion with the fingers appears to achieve a better, slightly more "flawless" finish than rubbing the product around.