MAC Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

4.4

on 6/3/2007 6:28:00 PM

OK- there are probably loads of MUAers with coloring like mine, which means: a complexion that's notably pale, with cool/blue undertones. For me, this has meant that I've never been able to wear that one fabulous, glamorous, eternally-classic basic for ALL girls/ women (and boys/men, for that matter, if you like!), i.e: FIRE-ENGINE RED lipstick! Every single shade advertised as a "UNIVERSAL SHADE of RED!" makes me look like Bozo, due to the warm brown, yellow or orange overtones they always have!
"MAC Red" is probably great on lots of people. But on those of us with pale, cool-toned skin, it's just STUNNING! The color is vibrant, lush, and it really illuminates the face of a pale-with-cool-tones-complexioned person! It seems to be the perfect shade of true red for us cool-toned palefaced women! (Seriously - in addition to my husband's raves about how I look in it, we're talking unsolicited gushing compliments from everyone I know, (and some big-time "looks," to outright flirting - from strangers!?!? Whoa, now!).
One thing worth noting is: this - like many of MAC's darker/more intense shades, especially the "Mattes" - before applying "MAC Red," you will probably want to prime your lips with something to moisten and soften them, & to make them a bit less absorbent. Otherwise, it can easily dry out your lips and quickly sink into and emphasize any little lines or cracks you might have in your lips. Gloss on top, in whatever degree of shine you might want, also looks great; a bit just moistens for a glow, while a lot will give you a set of over-the-top reflectively-wet- &-shiny retro-disco lips!
I highly recommend "MAC Red" for anyone with my sort of coloring (or anyone else who just wants a vibrant, mostly cool & blue-toned) intensely-red lipstick! I've also tried (among other brands) MAC's "Ruby Woo" & "Russian Red," but while they are both truly gorgeous shades, they just don't illuminate and complement a pale, cool-toned complexion the way that "MAC Red" does! Bottom Line: THE red for the pale, cool-toned face... in my opinion!

on 5/4/2007 1:29:00 AM

At first I didn't care too much for this lipstick because I felt Russian Red(my HG) was just the same only better. After I took a good look in the mirror I noticed how incredibly beautiful the shade and finish were and fell in love ! The shade is just as lovely and red as Russian Red only with a sexy shine finish (Russian Red is a Matte finish). Will I be repurchasing this lipstick ? You bet your sweet b*tt will !!!

on 4/1/2007 10:41:00 PM

NW15

My first red (and my first MAC) lipstick. It looks amazing against my pale skin. It's a great bluish-red, with a great creamy smooth consistency. I'll definitely be buying more MAC lipsticks.

EDIT: Over a year (and many more MAC lipsticks) later, and I still love this one. Perfect red for me, although I've heard it can turn pink on some people.

I wear really dramatic red lipstick all the time, so naturally, i bought 'mac red' lipstick. Unfortunatley it fades really fast, and to a very pink colour. It has no staying power colour wise, or in general for that matter. My poor boyfriend at the time would have red lipstick all over him whenever we kissed. I've worn many other red lipsticks when making out and they stayed on relatively well(they weren't a stain or anything) but this comes off SOOOOO easily.

boyfriends beware.

quite frankly I've given up on mac lipsticks in general.

on 1/29/2007 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I got this through Back to MAC and the sales girl who suggested it was simply divine, so I politley accepted it, not thinking I'd care much for it...and it WAS free...

To my surprise, it was the BEST red I had EVER worn. Red lipstick tends to look extremely orange (not always a bad thing) or too...well...red on my C2 skin. The texture is sublime, and the color is perhaps best because of this/ The texture creates a filmy look that makes the red look less extreme. Delightful.

on 1/9/2007 6:42:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Yes, it does photograph orange. It's the oddest thing.

However, this gorgeous blue-red is the closest thing to a true red I can wear (my olive tones dictate blue or brown reds), and it's vivid, bold, and fun. Lasting power is amazing, it rarely smudges, and the texture is dreamy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really love this lipstick. It is such a gorgeous shade of red, smells lovely and has a nice texture. The staying power is amazing, even after a meal it's still there! The only downside to this product is that it looks orange for some reason in photographs (even though it is a blue-toned red) which annoys me because in real life it's such a stunning red. Argh. I think I'll try 'ruby woo' or 'russian red' next time.

on 9/7/2006 3:17:00 AM

Trusting MAC as the authority of everything makeup, I believed that "MAC Red" would be the perfect, bluish, fire engine red. Unfortunately, when I put it on my lips (I have somewhat pale skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair), it turned a reddish fuschia. Instead of that 40's pin-up girl/Betty Boop red, I got something more along the lines of... Debbie Gibson magenta. Plus, it bleeds! I've had it on for less than ten minutes and the area below my lower lip looks like I just got off the ski mountain, it's so chapped looking. My only hope is to layer this over a brown-based liner or to swap it altogether. ::sigh::

on 9/4/2006 3:54:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

So, I ventured out to the mall today with my 6 MAC empties in a plastic baggy...in search of a nice red, a blue red. Well, blow me down! It was under my nose all this time. I don't know why, but I had overlooked this red lipstick before, or I just didn't give it the lip service (pun intended) that it deserved. Well, this color looks fabulous on me as I need a blue red for my coloring. Nice consistency, doesn't feel thick or gooey and it's matte, so I can keep it matte or put gloss over it for a nice shiny finish. I do believe I've found my perfect red lipstick!

on 8/3/2006 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Beatuiful true (blue) red. Satin texture, not much shine, but not really drying either. Best true (blue) red out there!!!!!

Popular Lipsticks