April 19, 2014 | 1086 users online

BB Cream - Clinique - Age Defense BB Cream SPF 30

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2012 11:31:00 AM More reviews by pixelprincess

This product works pretty well for me, and I have pale combination skin. The color really scared me at first because I got the 02 shade it looked way too dark. However, I have slightly olive undertones and it blends very well. I actually like the slight added color it gives me in the winter since it gives me a light airbrushed look.
The cream feels very strange on my face - heavy and it has to be warmed up on my fingers before application. Once it's on it seems to settle onto the skin and looks great. Overall I really like this stuff, but I have not finished my search for the perfect BB cream since there are so many others - some more reasonably priced and as has been mentioned before, the shiny cap gets dirty easily.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2012 6:10:00 PM More reviews by stanleycat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

"So disappointed in this product. I have fair skin but shade 1 was too light and pinkish for me. Shade 2 is meant to have more of a yellow/golden undertone which is flattering on me. When I tested it before purchase it looked fine on a small area of skin. At home, on the entire face, it made me look ghoulish, pale and grey. The colour is just awful. Not natural, beige or golden, just pallid. I think this might be the amount of sun screen it has in it.
Some other reviews I've read say that it sinks in and begins to match with your skin tone after it sets, but this didn't happen to me. I looked ill when I was wearing this!
In addition, the texture is cakey and drying, even on my type 4 oily skin. I can't imagine how it would feel if you have dry skin. It leaves a mask like finish, no luminosity or glow. I don't like dewy products, but this is overly dull and matt.
Also, I have NEVER used a make up that settled into pores as much as this cream does. It left dots all over my nose that refused to blend, highlighting every pore.
I've tried using less product. Mixing it with moisturizer. Wearing it under foundation (but what's the point of that? I already have primers that work much better). Nothing makes this stuff work any better.
If you want to look like an odd, cakey ghost, buy this. If not, avoid. I'm going back to my Garnier BB cream. Not perfect on me, but far superior to this awful stuff. And less than half the price. Annoyed that I wasted my money on this. Usually love Clinique products."

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2012 2:30:00 PM More reviews by aqelvis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Did not care for this BB cream- looked chalky and dry on my skin, and separated...thank god for the generous sample from Sephora, otherwise I would have not liked having to return it. I like the VIP GOLD I have tried,-but color does not work for me in summer... and now am sampling the Smashbox....not sure I like it as it is so thick, and smells like cheap sunscreen.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by encee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought this, to use alternating MAC's bb cream. Just in case either one breaks me out, at least a day to 'rest' in between. So i can't help but compare the two's performance : Im an NC25, an prefers pinkish undertones for makeups. Yellows look stupid on me. The colour of this BB cream blends well with my tone, though a tad on the lighter side. I do look made up, not so au-naturel look. It's consistency is a thickish cream, somewhat like a rich foundation. It dries rather fast upon application, so I had to work my fingers really quickly. While MAC is easier to apply, less thick & matches me better, I find Clinique's BB cream quite expensive and I had to remedy it's cons by mixing it with some Biore's UV face milk, to adjust it's consistency. The shiny, sleek cap also gets dirtied easily by fingerprints from the cream. Won't repurchase, as it is not the best there is out there.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by vanity68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I give up on BB creams...i had high hopes for this one but left my face so oily in like an hour...i will try it as a primer but so far not liking it..although I do love it doesnt irritate my face and has no scent..goes on wonderfully....give it an hour and the oilies begin with a vengeance.....sniff

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2011 3:04:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

NC25 Chinese, reddish undertones & old acne discolorations, early 30s.

Light foundation texture. The Clinique BB #2 is much closer to my color range as most of the Asian brands were WAY light or weird undertones. The pros is a nice glow (can't see any shimmer, subtle?) and good color match... the cons is not enough coverage to diminish my red undertones or acne marks w/out concealer... thus defeats the purpose of 4-in-1 BB creams. By end of day, this got considerably darker on my face...

I would recommend for another NC30+ w/ more flawless skin, who has been having no luck w/ the Asian brands!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2011 8:06:00 PM More reviews by rabbitsinspace

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to say, this product is good for some days - but not every day. Strangely I have noticed the application ranges from flawless to what looks like it's caked on depending. If you have dry skin I would avoid this product (I think that's the issue here). I can achieve a flawless look when I mix it with another moisturizer and do two or three thin layers. If I have a red spot I will use the bb cream as a concealer. I've been given compliments on how airbrushed my skin looks and it seems to last a long time.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2011 12:46:00 AM More reviews by dejavudu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE this product. I was a little skeptical at first since I have oily skin. This was thicker than any foundation or any lotion I have ever used so I thought I would break out. It turns out to be an excellent marriage of skincare and foundation. I have a hard time finding a good match for foundation because I have fair skin with yellow undertone (I'm asian). If you read the back it is made for Asian skin so it accounts for the yellow undertone but light color. However its a great product for anyone. The color does adjust to your skin tone once you let settle but not for dark skin tone. If you have dark skin then I recommend you mixing it with your favorite foundation for the perfect match on your hand to warm the it up. I usually warm it up by putting a little on my hand and rubbing with my finger to warm it up. I apply it with a stipple brush for a flawless finish. You can use whats left on your hand, and use your fingers to go over the trouble spots as a concealer. Use loose powder if you want to dewy finish or pressed for a matte finish. I set it with my Estee Lauder powder and did not have to blot all day. Once applied, the cream did not feel heavy at all.

I used my acne serum and than use this product - it eliminated my need for moisturizer, primer, and foundation. I skipped over SPF before since I didn't want to put another layer on my skin. My foundation had only SPF 15. The cream provided excellent coverage over my acne scars. Adult acne sucks so people like me have to limit how many facial products to use during the day. This is made for all skin types so if you have dry skin, use your moisturizer under this.

It is pricey compared to some other BB creams but this is one of the few that is Paraben-free so I am willing to pay for quality ingredients. Plus not having to buy foundation and primer and SPF lotion will save me.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2011 4:29:00 AM More reviews by barbie_c0ri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Sorry, I don't like to give bad reviews but this did not work for me at all. I wanted to like this product so bad because i wanted something like TM and lightweight but i broke out on the very same night! My break out was sooo bad that it lasted 2 weeks of consistant 5 gigantic acne a night and it left me with scars. (it was extremely painful after 4-5 day of the break out that i took some pain killer!!) My skin was clear prior to this BB cream and I was able to get away just wearing sheer loose powder to control oils but after this incident....i have to wear full coverage concealer, foundation and powder foundation. Now it's better so I just put on concealer and powder foundation. Yep, now i spent nearly $1000 on skincare products and visits to the doctors and facial... Good if the products works for you because i did like the texture and control my oily skin. I have mild sensitive and very oily skin but i didn't know i was that sensitive because my skin can tolerate alcohol, glycolic acid and all that bad stuff... it's just a miss for me =(

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2011 9:36:00 PM More reviews by Annakie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

PROS:
-- Natural finish, not as greasy looking as Clinique foundations
-- Good staying powder through a full day
-- Quicker than most liquid foundation regimens
-- Can be worn alone or as a primer under other makeup
-- Contains sunscreen
-- Paraben-free
-- Blends with skin tone, no "exact match" drama necessary

CONS:
-- I don't really like chemical sunscreens, especially oxybenzone, which would keep me from wearing this daily. I also find a lot of these sunscreens temporarily sting on sensitive/blemished skin, but they do their job.
-- Doesn't control oil, can look greasy if you don't blot/powder
-- Not completely non-comedogenic since it has dimethicone (2nd ingredient, slight comedogen) and zinc oxide (also only a slight comedogen), but if you're not sensitive to those, you should be good to go. The Triticum Vulgare is wheat germ extract, not the comedogenic wheat germ oil.
-- Only two shades -- may not work well for medium to dark skin
-- Rather expensive at $37 a tube!

REVIEW:
I've been wanting to try a BB cream for a while, but I was always turned off by the fact that the most recommended brands were not paraben free. Clinique's take on this trend is, so I decided to give it a shot, although it does have some of the more worrisome types of chemical sunscreens in it.

This makeup comes in two shades -- Shade 1 seems to be for cool/pink-based skin tones, while Shade 2 is for warm/yellow-based skin. A Sephora sales associate I talked with also suggested that Shade 1 is better for fair skin and Shade 2 is darker. I'm not sure if the undertone or the shade intensity is most important in determining your match, but I can tell you that this makeup blends into your natural skin tone very well, so I'd probably suggest basing your selection on your undertone first. The color of the makeup is NOT how it will look on your skin. I have very fair skin with slight pink undertones and normally have a hard time finding foundation that's light enough for me (for reference, I wear MAC NW15 or Nars Siberia). So at first I was skeptical that this makeup would work for me, knowing that even the lightest shades of Clinique foundation make me look like an Oompa Loompa. However, Shade 1 blends right in and doesn't leave the telltale dirty mark of a mismatched makeup on my jawline. (It may still be slightly too pink for me, but I have a weird neutral undertone that's hard to match -- this is still pretty darn close).

The squeeze tube holds 1.4 liquid oz. and works well for this BB cream since it's kind of thick. Don't expect it to feel like liquid foundations or tinted moisturizers -- it's more like what sunblock feels like. Application is very important to making this look good. Clinique recommends smoothing it on in half-circles and following that by patting the product into the skin. If you just smooth it on in straight lines, you'll get a streaky finish and may be tempted to apply too much to cover over the more sheer areas. Finish by patting it in. Because this is a thick cream, it also won't spread around that far before it dries and sinks in, so work in small amounts of product into small areas--nose/upper lip first, then upper cheek, then chin/lower cheek, etc.

The finish of this BB cream for me is light and very natural. It doesn't give me the polished, one-color "made up" look that liquid foundations do--it just evens my skin tone and hides the minor flaws and discoloration. There is a slight sheen, but not the Exxon T-Zone Disaster that I get when I've tried Clinique foundations. If you have normal, clear skin, this one step may be all you need. People with drier skin may need a moisturizer underneath. For people like me, with oily skin, some setting powder is a good idea. If you're also acne-prone, you'll still need some concealer for trouble spots. If you want more coverage, this also makes a great primer for a dusting of mineral foundation or a sheer-to-medium liquid foundation. I've worn this BB cream under Nars Sheer Glow with decent results.

The most impressive thing about this makeup for me personally has been its staying power. I've been underwhelmed with the ability of my MAC or Nars foundations to last through a day of me just sitting in my office, being oily. Add any amount of sweating to the mix, and those foundations are sliding all over my face regardless of what other products I use to set it--I've resorted to using multiple steps and products that take a lot of time and fuss getting ready in the morning. But since I've been wearing the Clinique BB Cream plus concealer and powder awhile, I notice it stays on better than liquid foundation, and I don't have to use the extra moisturizer, primer or a setting spray. I do still have to use the blotting papers and re-powder halfway through the day to keep from being shiny, but the BB cream is still there in an even layer and not pooling/separating on my face. So, while I think the price for this is rather high compared with other Clinique products, it saves me time in the morning and it may even save me some money since I don't have to buy those extra products to make my skin look decent.

My main qualms about this product are the use of chemical sunscreen, and while it doesn't make my skin more oily, it doesn't keep the oil at bay, either. Minus two lippies.

UPDATE: After wearing this for a while, I've come to notice that it makes my face sting when I sweat -- pretty sure it's the chemical sunscreen. This is a dealbreaker for me since I bought this to have a makeup that can stand up to hot weather and being outside. I've since discovered another BB cream that also is paraben-free and looks better on my NW15 skin -- Missha Signature Real Complete BB Cream in No. 13 Milky Beige. It uses only natural/physical barrier sunscreen and has more ingredients that are supposedly beneficial to your skin, and it's often on sale for cheaper than Clinique's BB cream. So, I can't recommend Clinique's any

31 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No