December 20, 2014 | 1554 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by msimmons0708

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation (I also love the new liquid one that Tarte just released) I love the coverage and finish of this and I do believe there is a trick to it...I tried applying it with a brush...did not work well for me, left a heavy feel and I got oily. So I went old school and applied with my fingers and viola, perfect. Using my fingers made it melt into my skin, I really love this. It is travel friendly and cute packaging and it has a semi matte finish which in a world full of shimmery products it is a refreshing find. I hope they never discontinue this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Sroupas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OMG I don't understand why this product is getting so much hate! If you moisturize, prime properly, and apply correctly (I use a beauty blender) this stuff is amazing. I'm NC20 light olive skin with yellow undertones and the shade light sand matches me perfectly! I have oily skin with a few dry patches in the winter. It leaves a matte finish for sure. I use two dime size squeezes of this and it gives me full coverage just like it claims. I applied it at 10am and it is now 1pm and it still looks great! I hope it stays for 12hrs like it claims. Will be repurchasing. Retails for around $38 at sephora.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by violetwasteland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted to love this product, but I honestly can't stand it. I hate the moussy texture, it never really "dries" even if you set it with powder. Feels like a layer of oil on top of my already oily skin. The coverage is pretty good, but it oxidized on me. It clogged my pores and sunk into the pores around my nose, and accentuated them.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/21/2014 3:24:00 AM More reviews by bowie1995

I wanted so much to love this foundation. I actually sort of did for a while, before my acne flared up. I started using it like right when it came out. I did feel as though it looked a little flaky but I bought their primer and psyched myself into thinking it helped but when I look back at pictures of that time period, I'm like "no. just no". Cons: First of all, the smell is weird and over time, it begins to smell worse and although not unbearable, it's kinda gross when it's hot and you smell it sweating off your face. Second, if you have dry skin run away. Run far away. I cleanse, exfoliate, and moisturize as much (and little) as I should and my skin feels fantastic but when you put this on, it looks very flaky and almost like the product is separating and you end up having to apply more to try and make it look even. It's seriously the weirdest thing I've ever seen happen with makeup on my skin, it's like when you look close, the color has settled into any lines, scars, and large pores you have and it's just not cute. Pros: The texture is soft and creamy and doesn't feel very heavy. This foundation works well with sensitive skin so if you get itchy or even break out from a lot of products, this would probably be a safe bet for you although everyone's different. That's the main reason I even looked at this brand but if the makeup looks crappy on you, why would you wear it just because it's "all natural"? That's why I have to continue on my search and leave this in the dust.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by bbarfield12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Update- I have to go back and update here...I usually don't jump the gun on shooting a product down, but I did on this one. I decided to give this another try since I had the sample and wanted to be sure of it. I called sephora and explained my issues with this foundation (despite being oily it seemed to cling to my uneven textured cheeks, patchy, a bit dry even for me, etc). She asked if I had the tarte maracuja oil, and I actually do. She then said to try a couple of drops of that oil in this foundation and see if it applies more evely and helps with my texture issue. She also suggested I try putting it on with a brush this time rather than beauty blender. So I did just that...followed the steps...and man, what a difference! It provided the results I was looking for, made it glide on much easier, blend easier, plumped up my skin and smoothed it out. Looks gorgeous! I applied this with my real techniques expert face brush and it also did a much better job than the beauty blender. For some reason, I think using the beauty blender made this foundation look more patchy in areas. Perhaps the consistency just doesn't jive well with the sponge! Absolutely loving it so far! I have increased my lippies from 2 to 3 and plan to update again once I have used up my sample to give the final results. I encourage you to try this again if you have a natural oil at home you can add to it (assuming you had the some problem I had). Don't give up on it!

I really really wanted to like this foundation. I use the concealer by Tarte and just love it. I love that Tarte is a more natural high end brand. I have several of their products and love them. So I became very interested in this foundation. I have oily skin and really am looking for the perfect foundation. This didn't fit the bill. The color match for me was perfect! Gorgeous match! It applied thick, but that didn't bother me too much. It doesn't feel heavy on the skin to me. It didn't give me a full coverage look. It looks to be clinging to my large pores on my checks and not completely covering my hyper pigmentation. The texture of it just doesn't appear to be a smooth look, which my husband quickly pointed out to me. Right now I am wearing the Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse and set it with a matte powder, the finish is much better. My issue with that foundation though is the limited color selection, which I am on the hunt for a new foundation. Still love tarte and what they are doing in the beauty world!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by liannaTX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Coverage is great, texture is great. It applies easily stippled on or with fingers. Pretty full coverage and a soft velvet finish. Covers my areas of slight pigmentation, a sunspot, veins, etc... very well. I personally hate the feel of this makeup. It is very very thick. I feel like it sits on top of my skin, instead of melting into my skin... like EL Double Wear does. The coverage is fabulous, the finish just doesn't work for me. I sill give 4 stars, because I almost love this makeup and see how it would work perfectly some people.

Edit: 6/25/14 I ran out of ELDW and have been using this. I applied with my fingers, instead of a stipple brush, and for me the lighter application is much better! The coverage is still beautiful, but I no longer get that heavy thick layer of makeup feeling on my face. It is also in the 90s here, and this makeup DOES meld into my skin and leave a beautiful finish. I don't know if it is the lighter application, or the increased oil, but the finish is almost flawless. It actually looks better as the day wears on, even if I have to blot.

My HUGE drawback, and a personal dealbreaker, is that I find that funky layer of makeup transfer on my phone. (there is that fingerprint transfer on papers too). I have seen that on other people's phone and thought "gross, clean your nasty phone"... now I know how they look that way.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by lexi3324

I love this!! To be honest, I HATED it at first, that is, until I used my fake beauty blender to apply it! Its definitely buildable, and though I do get a little shiny, (but more dewy) its nothing a little primer and/or blotting sheets can't fix! It makes my skin look so flawless and natural and it definitely evens out my skin! I just got a sample and it's the wrong color, but I cant wait to buy the full size!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by bellabellabella

I was really excited to try this because I love the concealer. It looked nice on for the first few days but then I could tell it was breaking me out ALL OVER my face. I get slight pimples but this was insane. On top of that it really dried my skin out. I can't wait to get back to MUFE HD. This is going back and hopefully my skin will heal fairly quickly.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by lbunz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Before purchasing this foundation, I hadn't read any reviews about it. An associate at my local Sephora just recommended this product to me because of my sensitive, combination-dry, pink under toned complexion. Giving it a try in store and at home I instantly fell in love.
First off, the coverage with my Shoppers Drug Mart Quo fluffy foundation brush gives me medium coverage, but that's just enough to achieve the daily natural look I go for. I do find this foundation to be too thick depending on the moisture of my skin in the morning. Like regular routine I apply moisturizer to my face after I give it a cold water wash, but some mornings I find I need to mix half product and half aloe gel together on the back of my hand to smooth and blend the foundation better on my face.
There is no overpowering scent during application but I have noticed a thick, almost powdery smell to it. But only if your whiffing the product through the packaging.
The packaging itself is great. With the foundations flat cap, the foundation naturally sinks to where you'd squeeze out product so the logic of the packaging is there, although I would prefer to see the same foundation in a tight pump bottle.
On me an early application at 8am will last me until the end of my day around 9-10pm. So I am completely satisfied with the lasting coverage of Tarte's 12 hour foundation's.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2014 2:39:00 AM More reviews by britbritmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This was my first time trying a Tarte foundation. This foundation was HORRIBLE for me. I was so sad that it didn't work well for me. Reading the reviews on different websites, it seemed as if women loved this product.

I ordered this product from QVC. The only 5 stars that I gave was on the packaging because I loved the ease of it and when I ordered it on QVC it also came with the brush. BONUS!

So I tried it and it didn't phase me one bit. It actually looked as if I had taken my makeup and completely just splatted my face with foundation and walked out the door. Looking up close, my skin was patchy. Some areas were covered, some weren't. When putting powder over it, it made it even worse. It was the weirdest thing.

I tried applying it without the brush, same thing. It looked a tad bit better, but not by much. You would think that with the brush, especially the brush that it's meant to be used with, it would perfect it, but it honestly just looked like a complete mess.

My mom also used it (we ordered it at the same time) and it didn't work well for her, either. Brush or no brush. Same problem(s). Maybe it's just our skin type? Either way, it was expensive and we ended up receiving a full refund from QVC.