December 18, 2014 | 1800 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so so happy to see this, along with the Real Techniques travel set, at my Wal Mart in Toronto. No surprise here- but these brushes are wonderfully soft and effective makeup brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by kiwiteddybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros:
- soft
- affordable
- multi tasking
- great with cream / powder product
- did not irritate skin
- synthetic
- support fellow YouTube gurus
- no bleeding
- no shedding

Cons:
- difficult to find in Canada

I love these brushes along with their other travel sets. They are super soft and I can use the brushes for a variety of different ways. The only one i don't use is the foundation brush, I much prefer the Sigma F80 flat top kabuki or the buffing brush that comes with the set for foundation. Worth every penny

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

I don't find the set being very useful. The only brush I do use often enough is the biggest one. It serves me well for applying liquid application.
The smallest one should be good for detail application, lips for example, but I don't seem to grab for it often. Don't use the rest either.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 1:14:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great brushes and price! I love all of these brushes. They don't shed and can be used for multiple purposes. It took some experimenting to find out how each would work into my routines but now I couldn't live without!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by mimi822

Ladies, these brushes are so incredible. I absolutely love these. I have purchased so many brushes including MAC and SIGMA. These are an incredible value. I ordered all of mine from iherb and with the code QLV352 you get ten dollars off!!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by notevangelista

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What a fabulous set of brushes! I love and use each and every one of these regularly, and I'm extremely glad I made this purchase.
Reasonably priced for 4 high-quality brushes with an excellent, practical case, this collection is totally worth it. Here are my short, individual reviews of each brush:
- Detailer brush: This is a helpful little brush for precise application for spots, lips, and even for highlighting the inner corner of the eye or the cupid's bow.
- Pointed foundation brush: Useless for foundation, in my opinion, but perfect for concealer. I just spritz it with a touch of water, and then use it to dab the concealer under my eyes, using my finger and the brush for a flawless finish. It's really gentle and soft, and I find that I've removed any tugging from my under-eye area during concealer application thanks to this brush.
- Contour brush: This is a brush I have a bit of a problem with, but I do like to use this with highlight powders, it's very good for a nice, concentrated highlight. This is also good for applying the contour powder or bronzer (I guess, I don't wear it much myself), but not for blending it out... atleast not for me. But still, a five-star brush! I've also seen some people use it as a concealer brush, this isn't for me, but I've never been too good at applying concealer with a fuller brush.
- Buffing brush: The star of this collection! There is nothing this brush can't fix or do. Foundation, blusher, bronzer... it's a blending star for that flawless, natural looking face. Applying make-up has become really stress-free for me, I think this is one of those products that makes applying product really easy regardless of the product, the make-up artists's theory that a superior brush even makes not-so-expensive products look expensive. This has been my experience with this brush.

These are super easy to clean, super-soft, taklon-bristle brushes that do not shed at all, hold product well and are just all round stars! Could not recommend them any more!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by whereismymind59

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

FANTASTIC brushes. Every model I have used these on has commented on how soft they feel on the skin. Not only that but they spread, buff, and layer product flawlessly. I have washed these many times and have yet to see even one brush hair shed. To top everything off these are super affordable. To be honest I would pay triple how much these cost if I had to.

Plus the case they come in can be converted into a brush stand which is handy and super cute!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by leserpent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The main reason I bought this set was that I needed a contouring brush. I actually wanted an angled contouring brush but thought I get 4 different brushes at a price I'd probably pay for one angled contouring brush made by some other brand, and all these good reviews on MUA about these... I'll give it a try. Delightfully I discovered these brushes are indeed great.
I discovered what a wonderful tool is a concealer brush - I never used one, but it's so great for putting the concealer to just the right place under my eyes and I only need really tiny bit of product with this.
The contouring brush is the right size for my small face and gets the job done.
The buffing brush made me understand why buffing is great. I go over my foundation quickly with it to eliminate any concrete lines and it's great. I used to have an E.L.F. buffing brush which was too big for my face, flat, and I never really "got it". The right size and the dome shape makes all the difference. Also, the bristles are more dense and at the same time softer.
The foundation brush is the least favourite of the bunch and I haven't really used it so far.
Shape wise I would have preferred if the brushes had these typical narrowing end handles, these flat ones are a bit inconvenient to slide into the rubber band holder and into the case.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2013 4:07:00 PM More reviews by ellsknight

Oh my god. Where do I start with these brushes? They are hands down the best brand of brushes that I have ever used and are the first thing I turn for my everyday makeup. I mainly use mac, sigma and Chanel brushes but I came across these after watching sam and nic's YouTube channel and I haven't looked back! They are the softest brushes and when washed they return back to looking like brand new and having had mine for over six months they still look and feel great. Since having this collection I've had to buy other brushes from Sam Chapman because they are so so good!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 1:53:00 AM More reviews by mudpud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was my first purchase from Real Techniques and what led me to buy other brushes in her line. It consists of 4 brushes with gold-colored, lightweight ferrules: Buffing, Contour, Detailer, and Pointed Foundation, all for under $20. The first 2 I use everyday for buffing in foundation and blush, respectively. I have literally shunned all other face brushes for these (including brushes that are 2-3x as expensive) and I bought another set so I can rotate them.
* The Buffing Brush is mostly flat-topped with rounded edges and applies powder foundation perfectly. It always seems to pick up the right amount and the brush itself is soft and comfortable on my skin.
* The Contour Brush is kind of an elongated, slightly tapered dome shape and on the small size, which I prefer for applying blush--it lets me have control over where I place it on my face. I usually use a light circular motion to apply.
* The Detailer Brush hurt when I tried using it on the skin around my eyes [for concealer and to apply powder e/s to my lower lashline]. However, I think I'll keep it as a lip brush since it seems to have the right amount of stiffness and give.
* The Pointed Foundation Brush is the real head-scratcher of the bunch, though. It's too small for applying liquid or cream foundation, but it's too big to use for concealer. Love the pointed shape, just not the size. If you only like to apply foundation to small patches of your face maybe it'll work, otherwise...I just can't figure out what to do with this one.
As for the carrying case, I really like it. I use it in its stand-up/easel form to dry my brushes by insert them upside-down. Then, turn them every so often and they're done! I've never had a problem with them drying flat on one side even if I forget to turn them b/c it's really easy to fluff them back up once they're dry. Also, for synthetic brushes, which are notorious for taking forever to dry, these don't take any longer than my natural bristled brushes. They sure as heck don't shed anywhere near as much as others do. I think one finally gave up a single hair, but otherwise they're still going strong. I considered knocking off a lippie for the Pointed Foundation Brush, but given the quality and price and the fact that I actually bought another set gives this brush set a 5. continued >>