April 18, 2014 | 1938 users online

Foundations - Estee Lauder - Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage Makeup For Face & Body

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2012 5:00:00 PM More reviews by marijean

This is a HG product for me and has been (in a different iteration - they changed it at some point) since high school. Given that I'm now 30, I've probably been using this half my life.

However, I do NOT use this as a foundation. I use it as a concealer. I buy it in 01 Creamy Ivory and use the most imperceptibly tiny amount to cover trouble spots every morning: a tiny scar on my cheek, a small dark burst capillary above my upper lip, and any more temporary blemishes like breakouts or even just weird red spots (I have very sensitive skin). I follow up with a mineral powder sunscreen and that's it - no foundation.

This formula has a lot of advantages over most of the "real" concealers I've tried: it blends better than most concealers, it stubbornly stays put (the older version I used was even waterproof), and it covers so well as to render red spots almost completely invisible. Plus, my sensitive, acne-prone combination skin doesn't react to it at all. HIGHLY recommended.

PROS: neutralizes red spots, blends well (keep the amount tiny), wears all day, doesn't cause any skin reaction
CONS: honestly can't think of any except the price... and because a little goes a long way, I only have to re-buy every couple years--which actually makes it a shockingly good deal

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2012 5:09:00 AM More reviews by amoginie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This foundation has great coverage (as expected) but definitely took me a wee while to figure out how best to apply it as it does not spread easily. A primer is definitely needed for an even coverage. I started out dotting this on my face then quickly spreading it with a foundation brush but have recently started applying it with a duo fiber powder brush (I have the elf one at the moment) after spreading it out on a mirror by blowing it, then lightly dipping the brush in. This gives a much better overall look & hides acne, freckles & red cheeks,

Another thing I love about this foundation is the pale colour - a lot of the cheaper pharmacy/drugstore brands don't do pale shades well but this suits me very well (I have it in Very Light). Also it has lasted AGES - I bought this tube about 7 or 8 months ago, use it every day, and it still is showing no signs of finishing. I must say...as much as I like it, I think next time I will try out the standard Double Wear for a more fluid formula.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2012 1:53:00 PM More reviews by jababy3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

To be honest...kind of disappointing. I bought this with the expectation that it would be like the original Maximum Cover...It is sooo different. I want to like it because I normally love all EL products...but I get better coverage with Revlon Colorstay or Sally Hansen Your Skin foundation. I will be returning this and exchanging it for the regular Double Wear, which I LOVE.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2012 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Wrenaria

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So I thought Double Wear was great until I got my hands on this - so much better coverage for my acne scarred skin and I prefer the squeeze bottle packaging. I find I get the most natural and smooth looking coverage using a cosmetic wedge/sponge. Once applied it does not budge and wears pretty well all day long. So far I have not found any other makeup with fuller coverage than this, and I have hunted!

I use MAC cleanse off oils to remove it at night before my usual face washing routine and it comes off beautifully. I imagine it would be difficult to get off with just a regular cleanser.

My only complaint is the lack of color options - the lightest color is still a shade too dark for me. But I spent quite a bit of time with a makeup person at Nordstrom not long ago and we found that nothing in the store was light enough for me, so I'm sticking with it for now and on the hunt for something lighter with as much coverage. (Just ordered some Illamasqua - we'll see how that goes when it gets here from across the pond.)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by glamglamglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I tried a sample of this for a few days, at first underneath MAC StudioFix powder, and then under Estee Lauder Double Matte Oil Powder. At first, I really liked it because it covered everything, including my large pores. I don't have acne, but I have uneven skin and large pores on my cheeks, under my eyes. Nothing ever completely hides the bad skin, but this helped it. I would not repurchase because no matter how much I put on, it looked cakey and dry. Even if I moisturized, it just looked too makeupy. If you want maximum coverage and don't mind looking cakey, try this. But this settled into my pores and lines and just didn't work out for me, personally.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2011 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Haliejolea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After purchasing many high-end foundations only to be completely disappointed, I finally found my HG foundation. I have oily, acne prone skin, and this foundation works beautifully on my skin. I was VERY skeptical about purchasing this foundation, especially since I didn't want to look too over-done. I have acne scars around my mouth from past breakouts, and have had a very difficult time finding a foundation that covers my red marks, as well as my shallow scars. Along with my scars, this foundation completely covers my large pores! I honestly do not need to apply concealer (only a small amount of under-eye) after foundation application. I personally apply this foundation with a foundation brush, and I use a thin layer over my face so I can get the air-brushed finish that it provides, without looking too overdone. I absolutely love and recommend this foundation to anyone with oily/acne prone skin, that has major imperfections to cover... or just to consumers who want an airbrushed finish that will literally last ALL DAY. As I mentioned, I have very oily skin... this foundation literally stays on without budging all day long. The only place that I get SLIGHTLY shiny at is my chin, but not even to the point where I have to blot. This product does not cause me to break out whatsoever, and honestly almost leaves my skin looking better after each use (I know that sounds crazy.. but seriously!!). This foundation has given me my confidence back that my acne scars had stolen from me... I will be sticking to this foundation from now on!!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2011 10:28:00 PM More reviews by taylorlizette

I've been using a sample of this for the past week; I haven't actually purchased the full sized product. I'm not sure I'm going to either, to be honest.

PROs:

1. No breakouts - this is a HUGE deal for. My skin can be sensitive to some foundations (I'm looking at you MAC Studio Fix Fluid) and breakout really easily, particularly along my jaw. I've had absolutely no issues with this so far.

2. Full coverage - it covers everything, so much so that I haven't touched my concealer all week. It is also really buildable.

3. Matte finish - there is no dewiness at all in the way this foundation sets which is brilliant because the last thing I need is a bit of shine exaggerating the pores across my nose and cheeks.

4. Colour - I know a lot of people have mentioned they had issues with the colour range but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. This is the best colour match I've ever found. 'Very Light' is light enough for my fair skin but isn't too pink or orange that it accentuates my pink undertones. It doesn't oxidize on me either, which is rare.

CONs:

1. Tricky to apply - I mix mine with Napoleon Auto Pilot to thin it out and avoid caking but still it sets very quickly so it requires a bit of practice. The first day I wore it was an utter disaster and not a good look at all. I don't really like how it settles around my eyes or mouth either, it's a bit mask/cake like.

2. Drying - this is kind of weird thing for me because I'm really oily in my tzone. After a few hours my skin, other than my tzone, starts to feel and look dry, accentuating any dry patches I have.

3. Oily - I know this seems like a contradiction to the above point, but my tzone gets shiny quicker than any other foundation I can remember using, with the exception of Laura Mercier oil free foundation. When I use my blotting papers the foundation actually comes off in places, making it look patchy.

4. Expensive - this is pretty self-explanatory. $AUD68 is pretty steep in my book, since it doesn't quite suit me skin type.

As to whether I'll purchase this, I won't completely decide until I've used my entire sample, but at this stage it's not looking good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2011 2:14:00 AM More reviews by MissMarothy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using this foundation about a month ago. I love it! Complete perfection over my quite imperfect skin. It takes a fast & thurogh application to get just right, as a full coverage foundation, it does dry pretty quickly.
It's my new favorite. I wear a lot of makeup & it's the ideal coverage I've always searched for.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by teekay01

As with any vain woman, I've been on the hunt for a long lasting - blemish covering - freckle concealing - easy to apply - no nonsense - breakfast fixing - clothes washing - house cleaning - better than a husband - all in one foundation. Well look no further, as this Estée Lauder Double Wear Max Cover makeup is all of the above in a TSA approved 1 fl. oz. tube! The cover is amazing, and with a light hand, your skin will look flawless.... Good enough to eat. What are you waiting for?

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2011 6:34:00 AM More reviews by bree2135

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After researching extensively for a new HG foundation - I searched for bb creams, sheer foundations etc I decided to go back to an old favourite of mine - EL double wear. However on the EL website i came across this foundation which is like a super heavy duty version of DW. It is very expensive - $68 AUD for 30mls.

I am very pale with pink undertones and have dry skin that is prone to blemishes, large pores and a tiny bit of oiliness. I went to the EL counter to try it and the sales assistant was very busy so she quickly grabbed a brush and within a minute had my whole face done in number 11, Very Light. As the lightest shade in the range it was an okay match but the shade is quite beige/yellow based. I had no primer or moisturizer on underneath the foundation but I was still impressed with the results.

Virtually every blemish was erased from my face, my skintone was evened out completely. It had a nice matte look without appearing cakey around my nose or mouth. It made my face look radiant and bright in the store mirror and i immediately purchased a tube of it.

The packaging is in a tube and it seems hygenic enough but it will be difficult to get every last drop of product out.

PROS: Coverage is amazing.
This stuff WILL NOT BUDGE from your face. Its on there for 12 hours as stated on the box.
Will soak up oiliness and in non acnegenic which is a plus for me
It is a good quality foundation with a new improved formula.

CONS: Expensive.
Washing this stuff off was a tough job and I had to cleanse twice and use my scrub and it was still lingering on my face a bit.
This foundation is quite drying and felt slightly masky.
I wouldnt use this for a natural look at all and because it is matte it can appear ageing. It also enhanced the look of fine lines around my mouth.
I think this is a tough foundation to apply unless you have the correct brushes to really buff and blend it into your skin.

Overall I do think this is a great foundation and it gives my skin the porcelain doll flawless look ive been trying to achieve. Coverage and staying power are great. Would recommend to others.