October 25, 2014 | 1790 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 7:06:00 PM More reviews by live4rn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is truly an HG for me! I don't have oily skin. In fact, my skin leans dry so I have to be careful of setting powders. I tried MAC's Prep and Prime and it was so awful and powdery looking! I have also tried everything else from drugstore to Chanel and this Tarte powder is THE BEST I have found. It is not drying, helps keep my makeup on throughout the day and doesn't have any offensive smell (in fact, it doesn't really smell like anything). If I had a complaint it would be that the powder is so finely milled that I lose a little whenever I unscrew the jar. But seriously, no product is perfect and I can deal with losing a little for the benefits. BTW - I had originally gone in to buy TF's Primed and Poreless powder and the SA recommended this instead. I'm glad she did because it works great and it is TWICE the amount of product for the same price as the TF P&P! Will definitely repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by jellybebe

I have combination skin that gets shiny (though not greasy) through the T-zone no matter the season. No powder has ever been able to stop that, until I tried this one. It evens out my complexion so nicely and feels fresh and silky all day. Sometimes I even use it alone without any other makeup, as it makes my skin look so healthy.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2011 6:21:00 PM More reviews by lskeiky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best powder I had ever used. It is a must. I have incredibly oily, oily skin. Even in the winter I look like I have sweat dripping off my face (Gross, I know). This powder controls my oil, it keeps me matte all day, but I still look natural, It is amazing and totally worth the price. The packaging is very, very nice. A little goes a long way with this product. There is a little hole in the middle of the product that very nicely controls how much comes out. I will but this over and over and over again.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by LaurenNess

Love this powder!! It is perfect for me because colored powders are too dark for my face. Does not show up white, though. It applies clear and makes my face feel so soft and silky. A little goes a long way with it and it lasts a long time. The one con I have found is that it does not shrink pores as it says but still totally worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2011 11:24:00 AM More reviews by kelaine423

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really like this powder. I bought it after deciding the Too Faced primed and pore less powder had too much glitter. It is rather costly, but a little goes a long way. I use much less of this than any compact powder I have ever had. I just brush a little of this on over my foundation and it really controls shine and sets my makeup. I will buy this again and make it part of my daily routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2011 9:36:00 PM More reviews by CobraChick222

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have used this product for several months and feel it works well with my oily skin, I don't think I break a shine as quickly as I did prior to using it. I do think it is expensive, and the packaging could be improved - I would prefer a sifter as opposed to the one hole in the plastic container. I would also love to have the same product in a pressed compact for my purse.

I like the fact that this has no color as I am very fair, and find many of the tinted or yellow based powders show up on my face once I start to get oily as odd colored spots - this does not.

As far as any claims that it reduces pore size, I'm unconvinced - I feel my Perricone skin care products with ALA have taken care of that issue.

Overall, I'm happy with the product and will continue to purchase it until such time as I find something that absorbs oil better - or menopause blesses me with drier skin ;-)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/17/2010 10:55:00 PM More reviews by bonboncat33

I bought this thinking that the clay would help absorb my oily t-zone but it didn't. When you brush it on, a little goes a long way. There is no color so your face doesnt look washed out. However, it didn't keep my face from looking oily, and it didn't shrink my pores as it claims to do. First of all, how can your pores shrink if you haven't gotten a professional facial to remove blockage first? I thought about that after I have been using it for about 2 weeks. For a pricey $28 I'm sure there is something better out there. Going to return it and find something better to keep me less oily and help with my pores.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2010 12:39:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

First off I have to say that my first gripe about this product is the highly questionable claim about this containing some sort of special clay from the Amazon. There is no specific ingredient list on their web site or I would not have purchased this but when I got the box the main ingredients in this powder are Silica and Kaolin clay. Neither of these would need to be harvested from the banks of the Amazon as Tarte claims. In fact this stuff is made in China as is clearly stated on the box. I highly doubt that they shipped run of the mill Kaolin from South America to be processed in China where it is readily available. I don't like it when a company takes advantage of consumers that are willing to pay a higher price for natural products by using over the top product descriptions and ingredients lists. It just isn't necessary. There are several types of clays I can use but Kaolin is not one of them. It makes my face greasy and defeats the purpose of using a setting powder for me. In an hour my makeup always looks awful. My respect for Tarte has gone down quite a bit after this purchase. That said I did give it a try hoping the Silica might even things out and when first applied this powder looks great. It's very finely milled and doesn't look powdery. Unfortunately an hour later I was shiny and gross. If you are like me and cant use Kaolin pass on this. Even if you love Kaolin you can pick up similar quality powders for half the price at several mineral makeup sites. There is no magic Amazon clay in here ladies just a huge price tag. Thank god I bought this on sale. Too bad it was from their site and not Sephora or I could have returned it.

29 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No