July 31, 2014 | 2134 users online

Powder - Tarte - Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2010 12:39:00 PM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

First off I have to say that my first gripe about this product is the highly questionable claim about this containing some sort of special clay from the Amazon. There is no specific ingredient list on their web site or I would not have purchased this but when I got the box the main ingredients in this powder are Silica and Kaolin clay. Neither of these would need to be harvested from the banks of the Amazon as Tarte claims. In fact this stuff is made in China as is clearly stated on the box. I highly doubt that they shipped run of the mill Kaolin from South America to be processed in China where it is readily available. I don't like it when a company takes advantage of consumers that are willing to pay a higher price for natural products by using over the top product descriptions and ingredients lists. It just isn't necessary. There are several types of clays I can use but Kaolin is not one of them. It makes my face greasy and defeats the purpose of using a setting powder for me. In an hour my makeup always looks awful. My respect for Tarte has gone down quite a bit after this purchase. That said I did give it a try hoping the Silica might even things out and when first applied this powder looks great. It's very finely milled and doesn't look powdery. Unfortunately an hour later I was shiny and gross. If you are like me and cant use Kaolin pass on this. Even if you love Kaolin you can pick up similar quality powders for half the price at several mineral makeup sites. There is no magic Amazon clay in here ladies just a huge price tag. Thank god I bought this on sale. Too bad it was from their site and not Sephora or I could have returned it.

29 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No