August 28, 2014 | 1398 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 8:35:00 PM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great eyeshadow primer! I have super oily lids & have tried tons of primers- Urban Decay, Too Faced, Lorac, etc & this one works the best for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/17/2013 12:42:00 AM More reviews by spinacha

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Many people have found the NARS eye primer to be a wonderful, Holy Grail product, but it didn't work out so well for me.

PROS I experienced were:
- The product dries quickly when applied
- Helps maintain the true vibrancy and colours of your eye shadows (eye shadow colours are not dulled or altered whatsoever, if anything, they are accentuated)

CONS I experienced:
- Slightly tight, heavy feeling on the eyelids, like a sealant. It's not an uncomfortable or painful feeling, but firm enough that you do feel it and know it's there
- Blending eye shadows is more difficult
- Packaging is impractical for hygiene
- AND most importantly: when applying eye shadow using side to side motions on the eyelid with a brush (e.g blending), the skin of my eyelid does not "bounce back", but rather, moves/flops from side to side with the brush. Now I don't have hooded or mature eye lids, and I don’t have “loose” skin on my eyelids. I have never experienced this phenomenon with other eye primers (e.g. Urban Decay's Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, etc.). For some reason this only happens to me with the NARS eye primer. And it's not just eye shadow...when I apply eyeliner, the skin of my eyelid will bunch up in the direction that the eyeliner is being applied. It's a weird thing, and hard to explain...this is my primary reason for repurchasing this eye primer.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2013 6:35:00 PM More reviews by emilyhannelx3

My HG eyeshadow primer:) I switch between this and UD primer potion, but being a NARS fan this ones my favorite. My eye shadow doesn't crease, smudge, or budge all day long! Enhances the shadow pigmentation and brightness. Glides on super creamy and a little goes a long way. Love the wand applicator for even blending.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2013 11:20:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a great primer, but it works about the same as other brands for me such as Too Faced and Urban Decay. My issue with this product is the applicator. It is unsanitary and not as easy to use as a tube. I will not purchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2013 4:12:00 PM More reviews by planetnars

I have oily lids and I decided to give this primer a try about 6 months ago since Urban Decay primer seemed to mud my colors. I thought this primer was really great during the time I used it, though there were a few drawbacks. The first thing is that my lids would look a bit dry, I assumed this was normal and dry lids at least weren't oily lids. The other, is I noticed some of my eyeshadow didn't blend very smoothly over it. I knew it was the primer because I didn't have the same blending issues when I had used Urban Decay, or the shadow on its own. This helped my eyeshadow to stay in place all day and didn't seem to muddle any of the colors so I was happy to overlook that. However, recently I noticed my dry lids looked just plain crepey now after regular use with the primer on. They had become itchy as well. I found a new primer and came to realize what I was missing with the NARS. Overall, this is an average primer. It will keep your makeup in place and the product lasts a long time for the price but it's far from the best option out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2013 6:16:00 PM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only eyeshadow base that keeps my eyelids from getting oily during the day. I have tried Urban Decay primer potion, Mac paint pot and they don't work on me at all. My eyeshadows would crease before noon! This actually kept my eyelids matt for most part of the day. I apply this at 7am and by maybe 6pm, i can see a tiny bit of shine. Not the usual coat of grease in the fold of my crease though.

This is fragrance free, a major plus for me. The texture is very lightweight and upon application, my lids feels dry and matt and does not feel silky/silicony like UDPP. It gives my eyeshadow a just applied look all day. Its also clear and colourless.

I would repurchase this forever, its really hard for me to find something that works. If this works for me, it'll work for anyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 6:39:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have tried my fair share of eye primers and nothing seemed to cut it for my extremely oily lids. That is until I tried NARS. I will never go back to anything else after using this product. It works wonders for my makeup! I can finally apply eyeshadow without it creasing and looking like shit after two hours. This is worth every penny.

Only negative thing I have to say is about the packaging. I feel like it's a bit unsanitary, as you put the wand back into the tube after each use. I'm a bit of a germ freak, so I'm worried about bacteria buildage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by graceybaby8

I have slick lids that somehow gets oily throughout the day.
No matter what I do, no shadow, liner or mascara stays on... They always smudge!
I was a UD primer potion user for many years which worked fine. I also tried too faced shadow insurance in all of their types from the original to the lemon drop and which that made my eyelids oiler!!!
With Nars somehow with their formula my eyeliner stays and so does my mascara! No more smudging for me!
My only complaint is the packaging. I was it was a squeeze tube instead of the doe footed.

Update: ok I'm back to using my UDPP. I just couldnt stand the doe footed applicator. I didn't like the idea of sticking something on my eyelid and putting it back into the tube.
After a while, even when I religiously cleansed my eyes prior to applying this primer, I found my nars eye primer started to get a slightly different smell to when I first got it. And the white doe footed applucator became discoloured too. I would buy it again if the packaging changes to a squeeze tube... But for now, I'm sticking to my UDPP.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by Makeupskinguru

Better than Urban decay !!!! I have super oily lids , so this stuff is a God-send!! It never get dry or cakey unlike UDPP , and you only need a thin layer ! HG MATERIAL !

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2013 10:00:00 AM More reviews by citylady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is better than anything else I've tried - (Trish Mcevoy, Edward Bess) I would often use BB's cream shadow in shore as a base. everything would crease by the afternoon. Not this. It's colorless so if your eyelids are red or uneven it won't help that but I don't mind. My eyeshadow not only doesn't crease by late afternoon, it doesn't fade either. I don't have oily lids but my shadow always creases after a while and my liner fades away. before I started using this. I do use powder over this before applying eye shadow.