Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate

3.8

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Squalane, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil/Rosehip Seed Oil, Oenothera Biennis Oil/Evening Primrose Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis Oil/Jojoba Seed Oil, Coriandrum Sativum Oil/Coriander Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Lavandula Angustifolia oil/Lavender Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil/Geranium Oil, Linalool, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Oil/Rosemary Leaf Oil, Citronellol, Geraniol, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Cucumis Sativus Extract/Cucumber Fruit Extract, Curcuma Longa Extract/Turmeric Root Extract, Limonene, Citral, Sclareolide, Rosa Spp/Rose Flower Oil, Jasminum Officinale Extract/Jasmine Extract, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil fmla 685449/18 Code F.I.L: D39273/5

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I love the smell and texture of this product. It's got a nice, herbal, there-but-not-overpowering fragrance, and while it's several steps up from a daytime serum, it's a very lightweight, non-greasy oil. However, I haven't really noticed any major improvement in my skin since I started using it. It's perfectly good if you're looking for a product that simply adds an additional bit of moisture under your night cream, and it certainly didn't do my skin any harm, but I think I'm in the market for something a bit more actively repairing/anti-aging.

This costs $48 in Canada & I'm willing to pay that price because of the results I get. I wake up to softer, smoother skin. The scent is not overpowering; only need a few drops for my entire face. I have combination skin & this is the only PM moisturizer I need.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a really nice, relaxing and effective night-time product. As someone who doesn't 'get' night-creams (I don't understand the point of paying twice the amount for a heavier day cream, and I don't see the point of applying a product that just sits on your skin, not doing much work), I find myself turning to oils and serums to protect and hydrate my skin in the night-time.
Serums and oils are products that are less complex and are accepted far more easily by your skin's surface layers during the process of the night, and I find that this product, which really combines the two, is for me, a great solution to any night-time hydration issues I wanted to combat. This has really helped my skin, which was really dull before I started using this, and I'm now on the hunt for the perfect eye-cream to use with this, to bring total hydration to my face. I use this as a bit of a massage oil as well, doing a quick Tanaka facial massage on most nights that I'm not too tired... on nights I am quite tired, I just use a jade facial roller. I think that this product has lived up to its claims, it really does something, which is more than you can ask of other serums/oils on the market, and it does so for a reasonably good price for a more accessible luxury skincare brand.
As for other skin types, I don't think this is too bad for those of you with sensitive skin, definitely not bad at all for people with slightly sensitive skin like myself... it's only helped my skin, not caused breakouts despite the various oils and things that are in this product. So all in all, a great product to add to a simple, uncomplicated night-time skincare regimen, which for me has been shortened to a two-step process of eye-cream and midnight oil thanks to this product.

on 4/8/2013 5:09:00 PM

Great product. I have sensitive and dehydrated skin and it helped me get moisturized and comfortable. I especially love the smell, very relaxing, right before going to bed. Packaging is high quality and helps you control the amount of oil you use. It might not be my n.1 face oil in regards to apparent results, but I would certainly buy again.

on 4/3/2013 7:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

At first, I was on the fence about this. It was nice, but didn't do anything miraculous. But I LOVE the eye cream, so I kept both around and didn't pay much attention to the face concentrate for a while. Fast-forward to a few months later, and here I am living in the UK and my skin has gone GONZO dry this winter. I am an oily-skinned guy through and through--you could power a boat engine from the left-side of my face alone, but for some reason, I am as dry as a rock this winter. I slathered on everything here I could find, but was wary of trying anything new, for fear a crop of spots would erupt. So I gave this face concentrate a go again, and WHOA--it not only quenched my thirsty skin, but I noticed the texture was so smooth, my pores are reduced, any redness or irritation is calmed, and my skin is just harmonious! No spots, no clogged pores, no worries. Five stars for Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate!

on 4/1/2013 11:06:00 PM

Because my skin is combo-oily and prone to clogged pores, I use oils seldomly, about 3 days out of a year when my skin is beat up by wind and cold. Given that oils are not for me, I'm reviewing this based on irritation factor, and not greasiness. This serum caused a few sore, red bumps on my cheeks and nose. Later, I found out this contained irritating oils including lavender, which have caused negatives in the past.

As for the soothing effects on my skin, it's no different than any other facial oil I've tried. I would've rated this a 1, but am giving it a 2 because Kiehl's allowed me to sample before buying.

on 3/11/2013 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is amazing! Oils tend to suit me better than lotions anyway, but this stuff is just fantastic. Only a couple of days in and my face was visibly smoother and felt great - soft, supple, more youthful. A little goes a very long way so although it is pricey it does last a very long time. I've recommended it to my best friend and mum and they both bought and love it, so it suits all ages. Far and away the best moisturiser I have ever used. I use it in the nights as directed, and use the lighter Acai Damage Repair Serum in the day. As with all products, I recommend getting a sample first - Kiehls are great with giving samples, so you can try it out - a sample will be more than enough for you to know if it works for you. I'm on my second bottle now and can't see me ever stopping using it.

on 2/28/2013 12:24:00 PM

This caused my face to turn red. If you are sensitive, I recommend you get a sample first.

on 2/15/2013 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

EDIT 07.16.2013:

I'm no longer using this stuff in favor of adopting a simpler regimen with simpler, natural ingredients. It's still a good product, IMO, but just no longer something I need or want to keep using. Original review below.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Overall: 5

Price: 4

Packaging: 4

Buy again: yes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference: mid-late 20s, NC25-30, light olive skin, combo/oily acne-prone skin.

I am quickly falling in love with this serum! I received a small sample when I bought the Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion, and now I also have a deluxe sample. I have been using it for about 4 days continuously at night, and I love what it's doing for my skin.

I have combo/oily, acne-prone skin that is prone to scarring after breakouts. I was recently getting over some breakouts due to a moisturizer that didn't agree with me, and I found that while the Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion helped, this serum has helped a lot with the scarring. It has helped to fade the appearance of the post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and has also made my skin SO smooth that when I was in the shower today, I noticed that my cheeks felt like glass - they were just so smooth and soft. This serum hasn't made my extremely sensitive skin breakout, and while it does make my skin a bit oily, I only wear it at night, and I wear it for the hydrating purposes, so it's ok. This serum has also helped to make my skin tone less blotchy and sallow-looking; I actually don't mind walking around without foundation on sometimes now!

I wear it at night after I've washed my face and applied 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide to my acne prone areas. I drip about 3 drops of the Midnight Recovery Concentrate to my fingers and quickly dot it all over my face and then massage it in. I tend to focus the serum on my cheeks and around my mouth and any leftovers go to my eye area. After that, I apply my eye cream and Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion.

This stuff works for me; I know some of the reviews grumble about how it's a combination of "cheap, simple ingredients", but you know what? The proportion of these ingredients matter, and clearly they're on to something awesome. I will gladly pay for the full size bottle when I run out of my samples!

I am always very cautious about putting oil on my face as, although I don't have oily skin, I do tend to break out quite easily. So when I received a 5ml sample of this product from Kiehl's, I tried it on and see how it feels. It is a blend of essential oils and it claims to help you hydrate, eliminate fine lines and refine your skin texture. If you have normal/combination skin, you can use it as your night cream or put on something very light after if you have dry skin. So I padded it on, the instant feeling is very smooth and soft. You skin immediately feels hydrated and pumped. However, it breaks me out right away the following day. And it is not only one or two blemishes, it was a proper breakout that took me a week to heal. As an independent experiment to confirm the first breakout was due to the oil, I tried it again a month later and it gave me a total breakout again. So I guess this is not a product for me and I gave it to a friend who has slightly more mature and dry skin and it works like a miracle for her! Take home message, good for dry skin, and don't forget to try it on your face before you purchase it!

Popular Treatments (Face)