July 26, 2014 | 1751 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Matte Foundation spf 15

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by oakley21

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Response from BM regarding the unspecified minerals included in the ingredient listed as "soil minerals" in their foundation:
"The list of ingredients in our Active Soil Complex is proprietary information and we are not able to provide you with that information but if you are concerned about any specific mineral we would be happy to let you know if that ingredient is contained in any of our products."
So basically they're not going to tell us what we're putting on our faces. That's great. It could be anything.
2nd Update:
After a week, I started breaking out in small, skin-colored bumps all over my face. Weird. After week 2, I was broken out in the bumps AND red pimples. After week 3, I was covered in the bumps, pimples, and evil whiteheads. My skin had not looked so bad in many years since I was on steroids. WTH?? I finally just stopped using this product a few days ago and my skin is almost completely clear again. *whew* I thought this makeup was supposed to be "natural" and so healthy for skin that we can sleep in it? Well, I did some digging and apparently minerals can still be comedogenic and cause allergic reactions. Even though I used the Bismuth-free version of BM, my skin still went haywire from 1 or more of the other ingredients. I compared the BM's ingredient list to my old Physician's Formula Bismuth-free/talc-free powder and BM had 3 ingredients that PF does not have: Silica, Calcium Silicate, and Soil Minerals. Silica is basically sand, according to Paula Begoun, and Soil Minerals are "unidentified minerals", which could be anything. I've contacted BM to find out what these unidentified minerals are, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm looking into Cleure and Everyday Minerals next to see if I react to those. They both have low ratings on EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. Cleure is rated a 2 for potential harm, Everyday Minerals also gets a 2, but BM is rated a 7(!), which is not good. Wish I had checked the database before buying BM. Hopefully they'll refund my money. *fingers crossed*
Update:
**Ordered the lightest shade of BM on ebay last week and I've been testing it out the last 2 days. So far, no oompa loompa! The color does not oxidize at all, and with the summer bisque concealer(LOVE)on my areas of redness first, the coverage is good and seems to last all day. I ordered the light sample kit of YB last week too, and so far those 2 color choices(Ivory&Neutral)are pretty orangey-looking, so I've stayed away.**
Wanted to love this sooo badly, but the color choices simply refuse to blend well on my face. I bought 2 matte foundations - Light & Fairly Light - for my red, rosacea skin. I was so excited to see that BM tends toward a yellow-based product, as rosacea & flushing need some yellow shades to camouflage the redness. But I ended up looking yellower than a Kardashian after a light application. Within a couple hours, I was an orange oompa loompa. Not so attractive. The coverage was pretty good though, especially with the Summer Bisque concealer(awesome for dark eye circles). There's one shade left that I can try - Fair - then I'll know for sure whether to break it off with BM and move on to YB.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2013 11:15:00 PM More reviews by jhc19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Bare Escentuals Matte got me off of liquid foundation. I can't even think about putting liquid foundation on my face anymore. Anyway, I loved this at first - it was the first foundation that actually matched my neck (I use this in Light) and it didn't break out my sensitive skin, yay! It doesn't have any shimmery ingredients either, which would be catastrophic for my oily face. The coverage is light/medium, but I never try for medium because I always end up looking cakey. Light coverage is fine for me though, so this wasn't too much of a problem.

Unfortunately, this foundation was absolutely terrible at keeping my face matte; I got oily abnormally quick and I would end up looking like a terrible hot mess within two hours. Also, it would always turn orange by mid-day... not a nice look :( I like the packaging and I don't mind the small quantity because I don't use much anyway, but with the price and the oil & orange problem, I won't be re-purchasing. Also, if you've got any dry patches, exfoliate and moisturize like mad before putting this on unless you want the whole world to know about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2013 4:42:00 AM More reviews by NairbRey

Im so sad for the bad reviews some people give, but I get all skins are different . I've been using this for 3 years in a row, I used to use Dermablend foundation and it was good but after a while I would look Oily, With bare minerals Matte I do get Oily after like 6 hours but thats normal, The finish Is great, I don't break out wich is a plus cause I don't get any acne anymore but if I use bad products, acne will appear . Little goes a long way. Im really not thinking of changing this , It was a big search for the perfect powder and foundation and this works wonder for both. My skin is looking great ever since

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2013 2:05:00 PM More reviews by mgw717

I always used regular liquid foundation (various brands) up until I started breaking out in high school and started looking for something more gentle that wouldn't irritate my skin. Some of my friends used bareMinerals, so I decided to give it a try. At first, it seemed like a miracle product- it made my skin look flawless (almost airbrushed), was easy to apply, and wouldn't cause me to break out if I accidentally fell asleep in it. Fast forward to nearly 4 years later, and I decided it's time to try something different. I have tried various shades of bareMinerals, both the original and matte formulas, and have tried the product over regular foundation/concealer- it simply does not look natural on me anymore. I get a cakey, orange look when I use this foundation (even when I apply the correct shade sparingly). I have oily skin, and so I use shine control products and a primer before my makeup application- with this foundation, I am a greasy mess about 20 minutes after putting it on. I think my skin maybe got used to the forumla because I used it for so long- at any rate, it looks obvious, orange, cakey, fake, overdone, and in general like I am wearing too much makeup. It's a shame because I really like the fact that there are so few ingredients and that it used to work so well for me- but I have to try something different. I began getting concerned about the way bareMinerals looked on me last spring too, and so I switched to tarte Amazonian clay foundation w/Mac concealer, but that didn't work well for me either, so I went back to bareMinerals because it seemed like there was no better option. Now that the weather is warming up again, I realize I can't walk around with the heavy, caked on makeup look bareMinerals gives me anymore, and as a college student, I can't afford to keep myself stocked up on high end Sephora or department store foundation. So I went to target the other day and bought a bunch of foundation, with the plan to try it all out and return what I didn't like. I bought CoverGirl 3 in 1, Garnier Fructis BB cream for oily skin, Almay TLC, and Maybelline matte mousse foundation. I took turns applying them all with my mac studio finish concealer, bareMinerals warmth bronzer, maybelline bouncy blush, and makeup forever HD finishing powder. i found that the covergirl 3 in 1 worked as well as or better than any high end liquid foundation I'd ever tried (i've used tarte amazonian clay, makeup forever HD foundation, and nars). i plan to keep that one for using when i go out/party/more formal events. for everyday use, however, i found i really liked the BB cream. 2 squirts give me a pretty even tone, and i like that the ingredients are all non-comedogenic, oil free, etc. (what i liked about bareMinerals as well). after applying the BB cream, my skin doesn't look as perfect as i want it to, so i go back in with my mac concealer and apply that under my eyes/over my eyelid, around my nose, and on any problem areas i notice that day. i then apply my bronzer/blush/powder like normal. i find that i look much better this way, much more like my natural self, and not some plastic fake barbie the way bareMinerals made me look. i'm so ready to leave that look in the past, and bareMinerals along with it. bareMinerals really worked for me when I was dealing with breakouts, but now that I changed my diet and skin care regimen, and am seeing a dermatologist, as well as being on birth control, i'm ready to move on to something different. sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you all the whole story and context. bottom line- bareMinerals might work great for you, or be the saving grace of a person battling serious skin issues, but there is a chance that it will end up looking fake/orange/cakey/reaaaalllyyy greasy and oily on you like it did on me after 4 yrs of use. try it out for yourself. sephora has a great return possibility, you can always take it back if you hate it. good luck!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 12:21:00 AM More reviews by OCobb

This powder is AMAZING. I have always had such a hard time matching my skin color with a powder that is worth buying and that I like. With this powder, I did all of that on the first try! I use this in the winter. I am the lightest shade possible in the winter and I have oily skin. I wouldn't recommend using this in the summer though. It's very thick. It's a pro in the winter but would be a con in the summer. I only have to apply about to brush strokes to my face when using this and I am ready to go with an even, beautiful complexion! Love love love this!! Definitely worth that 27 bucks!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2013 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Jenarlene

First off, this product has done wonders to my acne prone skin!! Im so insecure about my skin that i even workout with make up. Sure i know its bad but i do anyways. Well point is,before with drug store make up my face would look cakey and break out so much, but now with bare minerals it gives me a flawless finish. I absolutely love this product. Ofcourse it is pricey since i come from $11 drug store foundation to $28.00 bare mineral matte foundation but it is worth it. The packaging is not all that good, the first day i bought it, i spilled most of it but regardless it has lasted me about 2-3 months. Look, its a wonderful product if you don't have much to cover up, so if you have crazy stick out bumps you will need something with more coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by intheclouds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought into the hype of this product after seeing very lovely girls who said they used this foundation. However, my experience with this product was not good. For reference, I have combination skin in cooler weather and oily skin in warmer weather.

It is impossible for me to wear this over a sunscreen or moisturizer because it turns into a greasy mess after an hour or so. When applied bare-faced, it takes about two hours before the oilies kick in. And I don't mean a nice glow, but the embarrasing kind.

There is an ingredient in this called Lauroyl Lysine which is sourced from coconut and I believe it is too rich and moisturizing to be put in a "matte" product. Also, the color "Light" oxidized and turned into an orangey shade after application.

The positives are that this foundation looks nice upon initial application and the ingredients are more natural than many other brands. It is also easy to find in stores in my area as opposed to ordering online and having to wait a week for delivery.

Unfortunately, the only way I can make this work is if I mix it with a liberal amount of truly matte powder from another brand. That just adds another step to my routine and is inconvenient. I regret spending my money on this product but hopefully this review will help someone who is on the fence about purchasing this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

I've used Jane Iredale Amazing Base for years but I also own this and use it mixed with the original. That way I get the perfect finish. It can look cakey if you overdo it but the best thing about this makeup for me is how it heals my skin. If I'm having a rosacea flare or breakouts, this seems to accelerate healing for me.

My only quibble is when it's hot it can be a tad itchy but that's true of all mineral makeups for me.

I'm a Bobbi Brown sand or warm sand, Nc 25-30 depending on the season and I wear fairly light during the winter and mixed with medium beige during the summer.

I thinks it's reasonably priced for how long it lasts.And I love the quick-lock container. JI does not have that so I transfer that makeup to an empty BE container.

I know there are a lot of haters of this brand out there but if you have problem skin and are at the end of your rope with breakouts you owe it to yourself to give this a try just to make sure it won't work for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 7:33:00 AM More reviews by anujaaggarwal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was wandering through Sephora testing foundations and was pretty close to buying a NARS one. I never thought that i would like powder foundation, but just thought of giving it a try. The BE sales assistant had a hard time finding the perfect shade for me - took three trials of full-face application, but she did find the most accurate shade. Very close to my skin tone. I just bought the foundation as i already had a brush. I was so scared that the foundation would cause me to breakout, but luckily it did not.

I do not find the application difficult. I just shake out a little bit of powder in the lid. Dip my brush in it. I do not shake out the excess as suggested (as it creates a lot of dust everywhere). I suggest you keep a small towel on your dress while applying as it might fall. Anyways, it is super simple to apply and it covers all my acne scars perfectly. For extra coverage on difficult spots, i simply use the same powder and apply with the concealer brush. The skin looks soo smooth. I apply makeup only when i go out, so it is good that it has some SPF in it. Later on i bought mineral viel too, but i don't know how it helps. The foundation gives me a flawless look and is suitable for my oily skin. Many people have complemented me for how my skin looks when i apply the foundation. It doesn't seem to aggravate any active ance too. The BEST part about the foundation is that in flash light photographs, it does not shine like other liquid foundations. It gives a soft smooth look.

The staying power is OK. It rubs off on everything that touches your face, even your mobile phone if you keep it a bit closer to your face. You cannot try on outfits after doing makeup if there's a chance of getting your dress on your face as it will rub-off. But it does stay for quite a while even in sweaty conditions if you do not touch. It comes off easily with Bioderma miscellaire solution or just any other makeup remover.

Overall, i love it and have already orderd a new one in the same color. Selecting the color might be difficult so do take the time to apply it on your face, because sampling on the hand does not tell you how it will look on your face. Try it, it might be the best thing you ever tried.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/13/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by laurenstarwalt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Im not sure what it is about this formula, but I feel like people either can wear this stuff or they are allergic to it. Personally, I had a horrible experience with it. I received it as a gift because my stepsister works for BM, and I loved it at first. It was so buildable, and it concealed every flaw without looking over powdery or feeling heavy. But then I woke up the next morning...and to my horror, I had a huge red rash and had cystic ance pimples all over. I have NEVER had a reaction to something the way I did this stuff. Which really confuses me, because as far as I know I am not allergic to anything, and how does a virtually natural mineral" makeup make me have a reaction like that? i was told it could have been the finish, so I also tried the veil and the original instead of matte. Got the exact same reaction. So sorry to say, but I will never again try anything from their mineral line.:/