April 18, 2014 | 1693 users online

Lash Treatments - Latisse Lash Growth Drops

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2011 1:57:00 PM More reviews by sanyav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Latisse DOES NOT work for everyone... despite of what your dermatolgist may say in order to sell you this $150/month product.

I used it, as directed, with the applicators that came with it, every night, for three weeks straight..and I noticed that my eyelashes were getting very weak.. they were not exactly falling out but the roots were getting weaker in that they would point downwards and would be very easy to pull out (just touch and they would fall out). Needless to say, this thined out my lashline. It was especially bad on my right eye - in one spot in the middle they are almost gone (new ones are growing in but they are stubby of course).

At first I though this was just their natural eyelash 'shedding and growth' cycle so I kept on using Latissee.. My eyes got very irritated and I just wanted to rub them constantly, and I had to definitely stop with Latisse.

The eye irritation went away after a few days, however the thinned out, stubby eyelashes remain until they re-grow I hope.

I don't want to bash the product simply because it did not work for me (most likely I was allergic to something in it), however just be aware of this scenario as well.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2011 2:11:00 AM More reviews by cjumper

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wrote before when trying out Lilash and Revitalash. I was using on one one eye and the other on the other. I came to the conclusion that Lilash was better because the eye I used it on had notably longer lashes. Well, after months of not using either so I could try Latisse, I found that the same eyelid that underperformed before has underperformed when using Latisse on both eyes. Both eyes are definitely improved, but the same one as before has noticable longer lashes. So much for scientific experimentation with a sample size of 1! Well, I tried. Now I've switched to Careprost from overseas because of the expense. We'll see...

By using a daintier eyeliner brush, I was able to extend the bottle of Latisse nearly 3 months instead of 1. The brushes that come with it waste a lot. I understand that it's more sanitary to use a different brush for each applcation to each eye, but the brushes were WAY to big and hard to direct. Expensive drops rolled off of them or, if absorbed by the brush, did not get back out. I was using extra just to get the big brushes wet enough. I tried trimming them for a while before I gave up and started using a regular washable eyeliner brush.

I can't see spending the money that Latisse (or even Lilash) costs if Careprost will work as well. Given that Careprost is the generic form of Latisse, I have high hopes.

I spent $10 per 3ml bottle of Careprost plus $15 shipping. So, that's $45 for 3 bottles (9 mos?) of the generic instead of $120 for maybe 3 mos of Latisse.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2011 5:32:00 PM More reviews by trinityblade24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

*Sigh*...First and foremost, Latisse does work. My lashes are average length, thickness, and a soft black color. I got my prescription from my dermatologist, and I applied it once a day only to the upper lash line. I did not use the applicators, rather I put one drop in the cap and used a clean ultra-thin eyeliner brush to line both eyes (which makes one bottle last at least 2+months), as close to the root of the lash as possible. I did have a little irritation and redness of the eyeball, but it went away within the first 2 weeks. After a full solid 2 months of use, my lashes were long enough to hit my brows, the base hairs were thicker, and the hair color was deepening to a richer black...unfortunately, that was not the only thing that was darkening.

My eyelids also darkened...from my lashline to just under my browbone, the skin deepened in color, a brownish tinge (I'm NC35). Also, where I've been applying the Latisse, right at the root of the hairs, a line of purplish-red developed. I was aware that this could happen, I just didn't know to what extent. My goal of using this product was so that I didn't have to wear mascara...and I didn't have to, but in exchange I had to put on eye shadow and liner (which I do not wear on a daily basis) to camouflage the pigmentation. So I guess one effect cancelled out the other.

Needless to say, I have stopped using this product for 2 weeks now, and all ready my eyelids have almost returned to its pre-Latisse color (thank god!). My lashes are slowly going back to its original state as well. I will not bash this product...the side effects are clearly stated. For those people who don't experience them, I do envy you. And for those who can tolerate the side effects, I envy you too. But for me the risks out weigh the benefits.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/25/2010 10:35:00 PM More reviews by perfectface

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ended up being one of the unlucky people who got a bad result using Latisse. My eyelashes fell out and I'm having trouble growing them back. My eyelashes were long to begin with so what was I thinking! My bottom lashes are still long and lush. My upper lashes fell out so bad I almost had to wear false eyelashes. They're growing back so hopefully that will continue. I'm using mineral mascara now, trying to limit the chemicals I apply to my lashes. Would never use Latisse again! Good luck using this, I hope you don't have the same problem I did.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2010 10:27:00 PM More reviews by user1988

I've been using this product on and off mainly to grow my bottom lashes. I do notice an increase in length and fullness and know that if I used this faithfully my lashes would be even longer but I'm so lazy. I'm not sure how much this costs since I get it free from my bf's practice and being my lashes were long enough to begin with I don't think I would ever buy this on my own. Overall this is a good product, I haven't experienced any irritation with this. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the brushes that comes with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2010 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Nympish

Being Chinese, I have naturally short and sparse lashes. Always on the lookout for long luscious lashes, I succumbed to eyelash extensions which I kept for over a year. This caused further deterioration of my lashes. I then had to fall back on false lashes as my eyelashes were too short and had no or little growth spots in different areas. I tried latisse and in as short as a week, I noticed some growth in my eyelashes. I continued applying it faithfully twice a day. I applied on the roots of my top and bottom lashes. My eye lashes grew as the days went by and it grew to a point whereby my friends and colleagues thought I had falsies on. I was elated, however, do note that the lashes do not all grow at the same rate, hence they were pretty uneven. The lashes on my right eye also grew longer than my left, however I solved this problem by stopping the application on my right eye for a few days while continuing on my left on a daily basis. I switched to the generic brand after I've finished one bottle of latisse which lasted me two months. The generic brand works just as well. I have also recently discovered that the tips of my lashes looked a bit 'frizzy'. I've since then concurrently used a lash conditioner (l'oreal renewal lash serum) on the body of the lashes. It's been 3 months since and my eyelashes are ridiculously long. I am now maintaining the length and am using it once every 3 days, however, I still use the lash conditioner on a daily basis as I believe that it makes my lashes smooth and supple.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by dnavarro84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It works you just have to be patient with the solution. It's expensive but worth every dollar. My lashes where looking at its best while I was using the product. I did notice new lash growth and also thicker darker lashes. I didnít get any dark spots or dark skin around my eye lids.
I ran out and stopped using the product #1 I couldn't afford to purchase it again...#2 or find the time to go visit my dermatologist.

I will definitely explore other products before purchasing Latisse again. I want to see if there is another product that will give me good results for half the price.

I just recently bought L'Oreal Double Extend Mascara and also Lash Serum.
I donít expect my lashes to be dramatically longer but at least thicker.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 6:56:00 PM More reviews by asian_vixen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I felt it is time to write this review now that i have noticed the results... i started this on september 5, 2010. although i was not very good in keeping the everyday application, i have found that every morning helps... now what i do is this: application is in the morning (i stopped applying at night because it started to give me those dark tinted rimmed eyelids... it looks like purple bruising around my eyes... and i recommend not to line the lower lashes because of this! it caused redness and puffiness on my already apparent eye-bags. as soon as you stop applying the solution, it goes away..) i keep the tip of the bottle sterile, drop in the cap.. invest in a really good eyeliner brush (i use sonia kashuk's bent brush or even a loew cornell fine lined art brush in size 00). i dip, apply right on the lashes instead of on the skin where it meets the lashes, then i brush on my brows.. i clean both cap and brush by washing it with soap and drying it with paper towels.
Now,i have had some side effects...along the process it causes dryness to eyes and sometimes your eyes become blood shot... invest in some lubricating drops...i purchased Rohto eye drops which i use in the morning if the redness does not subside (i work in a hospital and patients usually get some kind of lubricating drops in eyes before instilling their Lumigan = Latisse). as for the dark pigment of the eye rim, every morning help curbed this problem... when i slept, some of the eyelashes will grow in different places because i guess the gravity flow of the latisse would go in certain directions (like the inner eye corner), which also explains why i have purple eyelids too! Now i had to learn how to use an eyeliner to hide them! After two months, my right eye has more "lush" eye lashes that are noticeable than the left... i tried to increase application but i dont recommend this! i ended up losing a few nice long ones. otherwise, i am happy with the results... I have used only one bottle in the process and just opened another one after reaching almost two months (each bottle contains 3 ml/cc... which means 15 drops per cc, a drop a day makes it last 45 days.. which is why I use the eyeliner method instead of the brushes they come with).
************UPDATE*********** 12/2/10
So i have realized that my lashes are starting to curl more... have not experienced much fall out... actually none at all.. since my last review, i have continued to use castor oil/ sweet almond oil on my lashes after i put the Latisse/Lumigan. since i have started that, the ends of the outer lashes started to curl more! i literally do not need any lash curler (which always accidentally rips my lashes out sometimes!)..so i will continue this regimen.... i think it also helped lessen the fall out.
*************UPDATE**********05/10/11
I have using these drops for quite some time.... i have found that when i went to philippines, they sell lumigan (by allergan) instead of latisse or careprost and approximately costs 25-27$.... pretty expensive compared to careprost(10-11$ with shipping of 25$) in ADC but cheaper than in US... well i have tried the careprost (one bottle) and now using lumigan. i have stopped applying everyday after the 7th or 8th month and i am now applying it every two to three days just for maintenance. I also lessened the castor oil since it gets on my contacts and its hard to rub out! Although the lashes are still long, they are not as "WOW" as before... have not experienced any fall out although of course some lashes (one to two) will fall when cleansing the face or after showering... still with redness around the the upper and lower lash lines which require me to use concealer all the time... i have invested in a good eye cream since the eye area has become more dry.
*****UPDATE 3/5/2012*******
it is almost two years and lashes are in a plateau and eyelid area is also more prone to creasing and adding more wrinkling since i always use eyeliners and eyeshadows to cover the redness caused by the medication. The only way to hide the redness is really to decrease the use. so tried applying it every wednesday and sunday.. its 3 to 4 days in between and i don't experience too much redness as before. i also noticed that when i went on a vacation for two weeks and stopped the medication, some of the lashes reverted back so when i started to use it again every three days, lashes are longer than the more recent plateau, so i figured a good break could benefit.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2010 11:54:00 AM More reviews by DonnaL

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My review is on Latisse (have not tried the generic, yet). All I can say is the same as everyone else, it really does work! I've always had long full lashes but now that I'm in my early 60's I began to notice that they were thinning out somewhat, so I decided to see if Latisse helped. Well, it did. I've been using Latisse for about 6 weeks and after 3 weeks I began to notice my lashes were thicker than when I was in my 20's! After 6 weeks, they are not only thicker, but longer as well. Add mascara and it looks as though I have "lash extensions"!

The only drawback that I've seen with Latisse (other than price) are those ridiculous brushes supplied with the product and the package instructions to "place one drop on a brush & then apply"!! This method not only wasted some of the Latisse but just did not work well for me. The brush didn't hold the "watery" Latisse and was clumsy to use. After 2 applications as per the instructions I knew there had to be a better way.

I tried a "good" (i.e. not the cheap) eyeliner brush (it holds the liquid better), and discovered that one drop was enough to do both my eyes (instead of one drop per eye)! I place one drop in the top of the cap, dunk the brush into the cap and apply. Using this method, one bottle last twice as long thus cutting the actual costs by half!! Important: if your going to try my method, do make sure to wash the brush well after each use to avoid any contamination problems. This site offers some methods for cleaning your brush - http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/things/stuff/how-to-clean-makeup-brushes/

PS: Like everyone else, I have been thinking about trying Generic Latisse (Careprost, etc.)to save a few $$, but wanted to see what the medical professionals had to say about using these Generics, so I did some research on medical sites. After what I've read, I will be sticking with Latisse for now, but will continue my research into the Generics. Thought I'd pass what I found along....the quote below comes from the Gordon & Weiss Vision Institute site:

"Using bimatoprost 0.03% ophthalmic solution as an off-label method of growing longer lashes can be dangerous for patients. The ophthalmic solution is meant to be used on the eye as an eye-drop as a treatment for glaucoma. The usage of ophthalmic solutions such as Careprost and Lumigan as a substitute for Latisse can be harmful Ė even when both contain the same percentage of bimatoprost as Latisse. Using Careprost or Lumigan to imitate Latisse can lead to serious complications such as renegade lash growth, red eyes, irritation, and infection. While Latisse comes with disposable applicators, Careprost and Lumigan do not. Instead of using disposable applicators, users of Latisse substitutes will use q-tips or eyeliner brushes to apply the solution. Not sterilizing these tools can lead to bacteria build-up, increasing the risk of an eye infection.
Using Careprost or Lumigan to imitate Latisse can lead to serious complications such as renegade lash growth, red eyes, irritation, and infection. Itís important to remember that the FDA approves these drugs for their intended purposes only. Lumigan and Careprost were created to treat glaucoma and were not created to lengthen lashes. Although all three do contain bimatoprost this does not mean that they all work to grow lashes in the same manner. Saving a few dollars may seem like a steal, but when it comes to the health of your eyes it is a high price to pay." Site URL: http://www.gordonweissvision.com/in-the-news/

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2010 10:28:00 PM More reviews by bhindhazeleyez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is awesome! I have been using it about a year now and the results are very noticeable. I get compliments all the time about my long eyelashes. I work in a medical ofc where we have a Latisse rep who lets us have the product for free so that we can tell patients about the product and promote it. Patients definitely notice and it has convinced many of them to try the product.

Since this is technically a prescription, you do have to be followed by a doctor due to some of the possible side effects. If you have lighter colored eyes, it can cause them to darken. I have hazel eyes and I have not noticed any darkening. I have sensitive eyes, so I was a little concerned about trying this out. One of the ingredients is used to treat glaucoma, so it can change your eye pressure, but I see my eye doctor regularly and have not had any problems. The only side effect I have had is some slight redness/darkening of my eyelid near the upper lashline. This is no biggie to me and I will continue to use the product since I have amazing results. The doctor overseeing us while using the product took pictures every few weeks and I would definitely recommending that you do that while using the product. It's really cool to see how much your lashes change from when you started.

My lashes actually brush my eyebrows now! One of the girls I work with actually trimmed hers because they brushed her sunglasses when she blinked and it annoyed her. (She's brave-I'd be too afraid to trim them!). Most of the women in my ofc that use Latisse don't even use mascara now. I still do because I love my mascara and it makes them look even more dramatic.

I started out using this every day for probably 3-4 months and then maybe twice a week to maintain, so I don't have to use as much and it lasts a lot longer. This is pricey, but I'd definitely recommend it if you want something that works!