April 21, 2014 | 1221 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mademoiselle

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 7:34:00 PM More reviews by Shabby413

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Another perfect french-nude-pink from Essie. A staple in my collection. Looks great on any skin tone. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Mystyre

I bought this nail polish based on reviews that said it makes your nails look polished and naturally healthy. And it absolutely does! This is my first Essie nail polish and I'm quite pleased with it. I found that if applies easily (no streaking for me), dries to a glossy finish and lasts just short of 7 days for me; keep in mind I wash dishes, clean, etc. all the time. My only real complaint with it is that it seemed to take a long time to dry compared to my drugstore polishes. I highly recommend this for a natural, sheer look.
EDIT: I just found out that this product still contains formaldehyde, which I don't want in my nail polish. I will not repurchase this product or any other Essie product due to this toxicity. Surprisingly, OPI nail polishes are "healthier" than Essie (according to cosmeticsdatabase), so I'll look there for a sheer pink.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 1:37:00 PM More reviews by rydellpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Mademoiselle is very nice if you are looking for a sheer polish with out shimmer or glitter. This polish gives my nails a lovely clean look. I use two coats for a nice shiney look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2010 2:06:00 PM More reviews by binkari

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you're expecting a good color payoff, you'll be disappointed. This is clear-but-better. It's extremely sheer, but with a wonderful formula that doesn't streak (you have to try really hard to get noticeable streaking) and in a color that doesn't say much on its own, but makes your nails look brighter and healthier by smoothing out blemishes and evening out skin tone.

For French or American manicures, this is THE sheer to use. I couple this with Marshmallow tips and it makes my nails look 100x healthier-- they almost glow!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2010 1:07:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the classic sheer light pink nail that makes your nails look shiny, finished, classic and clean. Like glass but nicer. It doesn't shade to the yellow which is nice if you've been playing with colour too much and gotten stained.

Even if you have warm toned skin and think a beige might be better in a sheer think again. Beige sheers tend to look yellowish, while this simply looks glossy, clean and sheer with a slight pink cast to it.

It wears like cast iron, and won't show chips. It doesn't need an undercoat, it won't yellow the nail, and even if you struggle with ridges or other nail imperfections it goes on like a jelly, transparent and lovely making your nails look like they were born perfect.

And quite important for a sheer, it DOES NOT STREAK! Most of the reviews for other sheers by Essie mentioned in magazines such as first wife, ballet slippers etc do mention some streaking. OPI sheers are very prone to streaking. Mademoiselle doesn't streak. Period!

It is foundation for nails, the ultimate classic. it's the quick zap onto bare nails before heading out the door. It's the one you pack knowing it will take you anywhere.

I'd never be without it.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 4:48:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Now that I have nails on my fingers again--thank you Revlon Post Trauma Nail Treatment--it was time for some polish. As I'd moved house twice and thrown stuff out (like old polish) since the last time I had nails.

Mademoiselle does exactly what is wanted: a milky creamy sheer pale pink, no sparkles or any other funny stuff, just shiny and subtle and polished. MNBB. Nails here being light-coloured--basically this shade--with slight violet undertone.

It's not an exciting colour: work-appropriate, probably perfect for job interviews, meeting future in-laws, funerals, weddings, any other occasion where one just needs to be a bit groomed. Maybe even sober and respectable. OK, sobriety probably rules out most of these sorts of occasions, but you get the picture. (And I can't wear anything other than nail-coloured polish on my hands, or it gets very distracting when working.)

Above all, on these paler hands anyway, it looks lovely.

Applies like a dream, no streaks or bubbles. Stays on for ages. Great stuff.

Not expensive, I paid around $5. Big 3 Free. Company is cruelty-free (but was just bought a few months back by L'Oréal and the testing policy is changing: not disastrous, still no testing on finished products; older--indeed, Classic--formulations like this one will be a safe bet for the future).

INGREDIENTS: Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, Tosylamide/Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Tripheneyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Ethyl Tosylamide, Steralkonium Bentonite, Styrene/Acrylate Copolymer, Diacetone Alcohol, Camphor, Polyvinyl Butyral, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Benzophenone 1, Citric Acid, Dimethicone, Silica, Trimethylsiloxysilicate. May Contain [about every colour in the rainbow, AND IT'S ALL BLINKINGWELL IN BLINKING 1-POINT TYPE IN A TEENY 4-PAGE BOOKLET ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE, 1" ACROSS!!! *sigh*]: CI 47005:1 (D&C Yellow #10), CI 47000 (D&C Yellow #11), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), Mica CAS 12001-26-2, CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), Polyethylene Terephthalate, CI 15850:1 (Red 7 Lake), CI 15850 (Red 6 Lake), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 15880 (Red 34 Lake), CI 77491 (Red Iron), CI 77499 (Black Iron), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocycyanide), CI 75170 (Guanine), CI 42090 (Blue 1 Lake), CI 60725 (Violet 2), CI 17200 (Red 33), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 73360 (Red 30), CI 26100 (Red 17), CI 42053 (Green 3), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Green), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77266 (Black 2), CI 45380 (D&C Red 21), CI 45410 (D&C Red 28), Polyester-3 (D&C Colorant) continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2010 12:50:00 PM More reviews by jessiela

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love all Essie polishes. Especially the lighter colors. This shade is beautiful. There is no streaking, which I really like because that is a huge problem with most lighter color polish. I also like that I can put on multiple coats to build the color, depending on how pale or dark I want it to be, without issues with it bubbling or chipping.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2010 8:09:00 AM More reviews by technopixie

Perfect sheer cotton candy pink, youthful and fresh and not too white. The formula goes on beautifully, without streaking, and dries quickly. I did three thin coats to achieve bottle color, which I'm fine with. I'd rather do more coats with a sheer than deal with streaking. As other reviewers mentioned, this is a great color to keep on hand for any occasion; but pass if you're looking for opaque coverage, unless you have time to wait for 5+ coats to dry.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2010 3:40:00 PM More reviews by claudel67123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was disappointed when i tried this colour out i wasn't expecting it to be sheer. I have found other usage for this colour for example top coat of a bight pink or top coat of a french manicure but i i would of know this colour was sheer i wouldn't of payed 9$ for it! The thing i also hate is that if you apply thick coats of this it bubbles up and just peels off.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by paintingitpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this based on all of the hype online and in magazines. I do agree that it is a really nice sheer colour. I don't mind sheer polishes but the top halves of my nails are yellowed from continual polish on my nails. They're not at all horribly yellowed, but they're not the same colour as the base of my nails. That said I used three coats of this one, and the tips still seemed almost yellow. Three coats should of this should of more than covered my nails. It's a shame because it's a really nice classy colour that does last for ages. If you have nice virgin nails, meaning those ridge free and stain free this will look great.